Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » How to fix broken symlinks...

Credits go to ReyBrujo and Thomas Fjellstrom for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
How to fix broken symlinks...
Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

I'm trying out Sabayon Linux and for some reason or another, all of the symlinks for gcc and binutils are crap! I've reinstalled all the packages from the repository, but they are not fixed! Anyone know an "easy" fix then manually having to repair each and every symlink?

some examples:

i686-pc-linux-gnu-addr2line
i686-pc-linux-gnu-ar
i686-pc-linux-gnu-c++filt
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gprof
i686-pc-linux-gnu-ld
i686-pc-linux-gnu-nm
i686-pc-linux-gnu-objcopy
i686-pc-linux-gnu-objdump
i686-pc-linux-gnu-ranlib
i686-pc-linux-gnu-readelf
i686-pc-linux-gnu-size
i686-pc-linux-gnu-strings
i686-pc-linux-gnu-strip

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

delete the broken symlinks and then reinstall the packages?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Purge the package, maybe that helps removing the broken links.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Thomas: I did that...and it did help for some of it, but not others.
ReyBrujo: Tried that too, but could not remove gcc-4.4.1 because it was a "protected and vital package" (even if it was broke I guess).

Thanks to both, but I got tired of trying to fix it (and possibly end up with other errors later), so I just reinstalled it. Luckily their installer was updated and it didn't die before it was done this time. I thought it was only the grub part that was jacked up, but apparently not... :( Hopefully everything will work correctly now. Again, thanks! 8-)

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

isnt sebayon a gentoo derivative?

i think i found the root of your problems, install windows 7

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Hahaha, I was waiting for you to say something about that. ;D Yeah, it's based on Gentoo. It's actually pretty slick (at least the 5 Oh version). And yes, I have Windows 7. :P

I found the problem anyway...seems that when I upgraded binutils, the package management system didn't update the symlinks. I had the same issue after the reinstall, but I fixed it all pretty easy. Now, just have to find out why I don't have any options for a sound card under Linux for Allegro....I have Alsa up and running. Oh well, another project to add to the todo list. Most of my stuff I'm working on is graphics related anyway, so it's not that big of an issue yet. ::)

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

i think i found the root of your problems, install windows 7

Isn't that like reinstalling DOS 6.0 to fix your USB problems?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Go to: