This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
[SH09] Secret of Fantasy
Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

bamccaig said:

Is there anything in the source that would prevent it

There are a couple of things you have to do, check os.hpp header and add a define for the data prefix (in the file or by using a gcc -D flag), check includes as we were lazy and didn't use full paths at some places, convert all dungeon and room files to use Unix line feeds. You should also really use the latest source as a couple of bugs have been fixed. I've updated the source package with the latest source (it now also includes Guichan and Dumb).

Unfortunately I don't have Linux installed at the moment, if I did I would make a Linux package.

You should probably change line 33 in game.cpp to use windowed mode when trying to compile and run the game.

Jazone Xie
Member #11,154
July 2009

Fun all the way around. Great entry!:D

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Næssén said:

Onewing, you can just copy your sav-files in the data directory to the new release's data directory and continue playing.

Sweet, thanks!

Finished the game, definitely enjoyed it. Although, I think the music, which was created beforehand, had a lot to do with it. There's definitely potential in the gameplay with some different monster AI. I think you should spend just a little more time on it and it could vastly improve the fun value. None the less, great speedhack entry. Congrats on your team's success. :)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva
Member #4,212
January 2004

This is my favourite speedhack 2009 entry that I had tested so far (tested about half of them). Great job. I bet that you will probably be the winners or at least the second place.

[The attack of the space bugs - Speedhack 2005] [Rambananas - Speedhack 2006] [Make clean - Speedhack 2009] [The source god - TINS 2010]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Fuck it. I'm booting Windows. And I hope you're happy. :D

** EDIT **

Very nice entry. You should implement a skip feature on the dialog though. As a habit from Final Fantasy, I talk to each person multiple times to see if they have other things to say and it's nice when you know the dialog is a repeat to be able to skip past it rather than wait. The ESC feature bit me when trying to figure out how to skip the repeat dialog. :P

Also, the redundancy is very clever. I like it.

** EDIT **

Motherfucker! >:( Before I play some more I should go and implement an exit prompt. ;D

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Just pull the ESC key off your keyboard. :-/

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

I'm happy to see people enjoying the game!

bamccaig said:

Motherer! Before I play some more I should go and implement an exit prompt.

We totally forgot exiting this year and added the escape button in the last minute of the competition. If I make an update of the game, exiting is on the TODO list :)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Næssén said:

the TODO list :)

Joystick support? :D ;);)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

Joystick support?

Nah, I don't own a joystick :)

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

I've hacked the game to double player speed (which had the side-effect of doubling enemy speed as well...) and I found the game to be far more fun and enjoyable that way. Makes me wonder why it wasn't that way out of the box.

In case anyone wants to patch it, change lines 20-23 in normalactor.cpp like this:

normalactor.cpp#SelectExpand
20 addState("walkright", &mWalkSidewaysAnimation, 2, 0, 6, RIGHT, true, false); 21 addState("walkleft", &mWalkSidewaysAnimation, -2, 0, 6, LEFT, false, false); 22 addState("walkdown", &mWalkDownwardsAnimation, 0, 2, 6, DOWN, false, false); 23 addState("walkup", &mWalkUpwardsAnimation, 0, -2, 6, UP, false, false);

This also has the (IMO) nice side effect of making the game a bit more challenging by making monsters faster.

[EDIT] BTW, this is the second time I find myself hacking a Darkbits game... I also felt compelled to hack Dr. Madness so I could hold down the mouse button and not develop RSI while playing the game.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I wouldn't really call that a "hack". The source was freely available and you just tweaked it. ;)

I found in many "rooms" the enemies were decently challenging. At least, it took me a good few retries in the beginning to do well enough to survive to the end (albeit, my inventory was plentiful when I did...). The final boss was a little disappointing.

FYI, the <code> tag supports a name attribute (if you're going to do the line number you might as well do the file as well).

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Well,

Wikipedia said:

Hack has several related meanings in the technology and computer science fields. It may refer to a clever or quick fix to a computer program problem, or to what may be perceived to be a clumsy or inelegant (but usually relatively quick) solution to a problem.

;)

And thanks for the tip, edited the post!

P.S. I thought the game was really easy, never died on it... and I never figured what the energy drinks did until the battle with Vapor.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

...and I never figured what the energy drinks did until the battle with Vapor.

Now that you mention it I never did use those... :-X

The time a hit would freeze Vapor was plenty to hit him again. I beat him in a matter of seconds, IIRC.

codnik
Member #10,154
September 2008

Took me a few seconds as well.

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

I tried to compile this for Linux, but I got stuck with too many bugs. Something with line endings in text files - anyway, didn't get it to run.

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

Makes me wonder why it wasn't that way out of the box.

I'm not sure. The walk speed never bothered us, but I can understand if people find it annoying. Isn't it difficult to enter doors when walking faster?

Rodrigo Monteiro said:

BTW, this is the second time I find myself hacking a Darkbits game...

I remember your last hack. It's always fun when people modify our games as it hopefully means they are worth playing :)

bamccaig said:

I beat him in a matter of seconds

Lord Vapor turned out a bit lame in the end. It's really difficult to balance a game in Speedhack, especially considering we never played the game through until after the deadline. I made Vapor able to teleport to counter the fact that he could easily be killed by cornering him. To make Vapor more fun I think the freeze time after a hit should be lowered, his HP should be increased and he should teleport more frequently.

I tried to compile this for Linux, but I got stuck with too many bugs. Something with line endings in text files - anyway, didn't get it to run.

That's not bugs, it's called Windows line feeds. You have to replace all the Windows line feeds in our txt files with Unix line feeds. The game works fine with Wine by the way.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Næssén said:

That's not bugs, it's called Windows line feeds.

Or do what I've done in the past, write the file loader to support all three line ending formats.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

Næssén said:

That's not bugs, it's called Windows line feeds. You have to replace all the Windows line feeds in our txt files with Unix line feeds. The game works fine with Wine by the way.

Ok, some files had mixed DOS and UNIX line feeds (mostly CRLF, but some lines had LF only). I converted those text files by hand and now it runs. Thank you.

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

Or do what I've done in the past, write the file loader to support all three line ending formats.

I should remember that for the next competition.

Fishcake
Member #8,704
June 2007

I finally get to try this game. It's a very cool game, with nice graphics, and it's an RPG! ;D And I really like the music too. I'll try my best to finish the game.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I converted those text files by hand and now it runs.

Are you saying you got Secret Of Fantasy to compile and run in Linux!? Do please post the modified source!

<cough>dos2unix</cough> ???

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I've always just used 'nix style line endings and it's always worked fine for me on Windows. I guess pre-OSX macs wouldn't like it though.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Ok, some files had mixed DOS and UNIX line feeds (mostly CRLF, but some lines had LF only). I converted those text files by hand and now it runs. Thank you.

IIRC the Allegro install routines have dtou and utod ("dos to unix" and "unix to dos"), also there's source available on the web for lots of variations.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

bamccaig said:

<cough>dos2unix</cough>

IIRC the Allegro install routines have dtou and utod ("dos to unix" and "unix to dos"), also there's source available on the web for lots of variations.

Thanks for the hints - dos2unix would have worked.

bamccaig said:

Are you saying you got Secret Of Fantasy to compile and run in Linux!? Do please post the modified source!

Yes, got it to compile and run. Here's the modified source -- I included a Code::Blocks project and a CMake file, so compiling should be easy.

1   2   3 

Go to: