Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » HP Backup and Recovery: Worthless.

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
HP Backup and Recovery: Worthless.
CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I wanted to try out Vista on my laptop, just to see how it would run compared to XP. I used HP's Backup and Recovery Manager, bundled with my laptop, to make a full disk image backup of my hard drive, so I could revert to it if I wanted. I tried out Vista and decided to go back to XP, so I went into the Recovery Manager and restored my backup. It gets about 5% completed, then the system restarts and I can't boot to any OS (it leaves the computer in an unbootable state).

I called HP about this problem and the conversation went something like this: "Yes, we have had problems reported using that software and our engineers are working on it." "What about my data?" "Well, you can use the software to create an OS restore disk to reinstall the operating system." "But, what about my data?" "Unfortunately we have had problems with this software and our engineers are working on it." So, yeah, don't use that if given the chance.

Here's the fun part: this disk image they made is in some custom format. I'm wondering if it's a bitwise copy of the disk at all, and if it is, how I can restore it. The backup format looks something like this: In the folder I created is a file called OS.DAT and a folder called PRELOAD. Inside the PRELOAD folder are a small collection of files including a series of BASE_XX.INP files, each exactly 620 MB, numbering 1 to 57. Based on the sum of the file sizes, this isn't a bitwise copy or the image is compressed. I've attached the small files, plus a snippet of the larger ones.

What I'm looking for is some kind soul to point me at some software that can restore this disk image, or some kind soul who wants to reverse engineer it. I've also attached the first 4KB of the first BASE_XX.INP file (called BASE.INP.HEAD). The ZIP file contains all of the files in the backup with the exception of the BASE_XX.INP files (which have been replaced with the snippet BASE.INP.HEAD file) and the ALL.CRC file (which has been replaced with the snippet ALL.CRC.PART file). The ALL.CRC file seems to have an inventory of all the files on the disk along with some extra information, so for reference here is the file referenced in ALL.CRC.PART.

Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Once again, the "What!??! You didn't back up your files?" argument pwns the lazy... I have to admit, I haven't burned my latest stuff to any DVDs for two months :-X

[EDIT]
the puckered mouth smiley doesn't work without a preceding space

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Once again, the "What!??! You didn't back up your files?" argument pwns the lazy...

What are you talking about. I did back up my files. The HP Backup software didn't come with a sign that says Warning: this doesn't work.

I've made a little bit of headway: the files mention "SoftThinks", which is a company that produces "PC Angel", a recovery software suite. So, if you know of software to recover PC Angel images (such as the PC Angel software), help me out!

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I meant store your files on a DVD that would only require an OS that could read DVD's, store the actual data as *.tar.gz if necessary. Use third party programs to untar/uncompress as necessary. In other words, to restore the files anywhere/anywhen!

What would you do if your hdd spindle took a crap?

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

I use a program called Allway Sync to keep my important files (school stuff and FL projects directory, all others are expendable) syncronised with a network directory (on my laptop) and USB memory stick. IIRC it can be configured to stash incremental backups somewhere, too.

You don't deserve my sig.

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

Hmmm... Curious.

Has the partition information on the drive changed?

[PART0001]
Starting_Offset=32256
Used_Space=0
Files=0
Partition_Size=54399066624
Partition_Type=07
Primary=yes
Win_Type=NT
Mounted_Volume=yes
SystemID=
VolumeName=
FS_Type=NTFS
Windows_Version=5
Version=5.1.2600.5512
[General]
Disk_Size=60011642880
Chk=0
Recovery_Partition_Size=5612544000
Recovery_Partition_Start=54399098880
Date=2009/04/13 16:55:16

[edit] Arg... Damn long edits... I'll start over... Read whole thing before trying...

I think it might have to do with the data spanning different files... The large amount of data split into the smaller files might be causing it...

***** Backup the backups before trying this ::)
If you have another computer to work with and enough disk space...

Combine BASE_XX.INP files 1 and 2 into BASE_01.INP and then 3 and 4 into BASE_02.INP etc, etc, until you have 29 BASE_XX.INP files with the last one just needing a name change... Then try the restore again... If that doesn't work start again combining files until you have 15 BASE_XX.INP files... Or just go down to 15...

Or better yet... Just combine 1-6 into one file, 7-12 etc... And then you'll have files that fit on single layer data DVDs :)

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Ron Novy said:

Has the partition information on the drive changed?

No.

Quote:

I think it might have to do with the data spanning different files... The large amount of data split into the smaller files might be causing it...

I'm curious why you think this. The backup program in question created the files at that size, and when I select the restore, it automatically locates the backup set, presenting it as one list entry (it doesn't require me to locate the path or anything).

--

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

That is exactly why I chose not to use the "Recovery Solution" that came with my Samsung laptop.
Using a different partition on the same hdd is just not safe enough - the only safe place for your backup data is on something that can be physically detached from the live system - a DVD, a USB hard disk, a network share on another computer. Anything else is just too fragile - what if you decide to move some partitions and things go wrong? What if the entire HDD dies?

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I'm wondering if it's a bitwise copy of the disk at all, and if it is, how I can restore it.

If it is, Linux should be able to mount the file[1] as a partition and allow you to copy the data to a (non-damaged) file system. You could have a go at that with a live CD.

However, I doubt they simply stored a bit-wise copy of the disk. That sounds like an extremely wasteful way to backup data.

References

1. If it's split across multiple files you may need to concatenate the files first on a separate machine.
CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

That is exactly why I chose not to use the "Recovery Solution" that came with my Samsung laptop.
Using a different partition on the same hdd is just not safe enough

Here's why I'm so upset about this problem: I didn't do anything wrong. I used the backup software that HP provided me to perform a full system backup. I stored the backup on a removable hard drive. The drive functions properly. I used HP's provided software to restore the partition. HP's software crashes.

Evert said:

If it is, Linux should be able to mount the file[1] as a partition and allow you to copy the data to a (non-damaged) file system.

Yeah, I hopped over to a live CD and tried it. You can see what I saw though: file identifies the INP files as "assembler source". It really looks like the backup is a backup of the sectors of the disk that hold the file system table and the files themselves, which are then compressed. I lack the expertise needed to reverse engineer this format.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I didn't do anything wrong

You allowed the fuzzy good-feeling marketing drivel of a profit driven corporation to override your extensive experience and good sense. Admit it! You knew better!

[EDIT]
Experience is directly proportional to the amount of equipment (and now data) ruined

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You did do something wrong... You used HP software... :-X I agree that you should be able to trust their software to work. I just know from experience that HP software usually does NOT work so I know better than to trust it... Unfortunately, now you do too.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I stored the backup on a removable hard drive. The drive functions properly. I used HP's provided software to restore the partition. HP's software crashes.

There is a bright side: if they ever fix their software, you'll still have the backup to restore from.

Quote:

You can see what I saw though: file identifies the INP files as "assembler source".

File isn't necessarily going to recognise a raw partition dump as a partition dump, I think.

Quote:

It really looks like the backup is a backup of the sectors of the disk that hold the file system table and the files themselves, which are then compressed. I lack the expertise needed to reverse engineer this format.

Do you know for a fact that they are compressed? Look at the beginning of the file for the byte signature of a partition.
Assuming you're correct, the only real problem should be decompressing the files (because you need to know what the compression algorithm is). If you have the decompressed images, Linux' mount command will be able to mount the file as a partition.
I'm not necessarily much help in figuring out how to decompress it (have you tried to find out if anyone has hacked HP's backup format?), but I'd try running it through zlib's decompression function. It's a long shot though.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Without reading much of this thread, I'd thought I would give a recommendation: I use Jungle disk for all my backup. It works through Amazon S3 which means it's fairly fast, quite cheap (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#pricing) and very reliable.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Evert: the first few bytes of the file are something like "!XSSSSX!". Some sort of magic number they use, I suppose. Past that, I don't have a clue how I would identify where the data began, or anything like that.

--

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

It probably only stores information about used sectors... I don't think it would need the whole boot sector so that's probably only there in part if at all...

What was the total size of the partition and maybe an estimate of the bytes used?

----
Oh... Bieber! I thought everyone was chanting Beaver... Now it doesn't make any sense at all. :-/

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

the first few bytes of the file are something like "!XSSSSX!".

I don't think that bodes well for the propspect of getting at the data easily.

Quote:

Past that, I don't have a clue how I would identify where the data began, or anything like that.

Do you know how to use hexdump (in particular hexdump -C; any other tool for producing hexdumps works too)? It's a rather useful tool if you need to investigate a filetype and look for anything familiar.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Evert said:

Do you know how to use hexdump (in particular hexdump -C; any other tool for producing hexdumps works too)? It's a rather useful tool if you need to investigate a filetype and look for anything familiar.

Yeah, that's how I got those first few bytes. But I'm not familiar with any of that sort of data, so none of it looks familiar :-/ Like, I don't know how I could identify a zlib header, or a partition header or an NTFS header or anything like that.

Ron Novy said:

What was the total size of the partition and maybe an estimate of the bytes used?

The total size of the partition was something like 50 GB and change, and the estimated usage at the time of backup would probably be somewhere around 48GB.

--

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

These things happen all the time >:( It's happened to me with Nero BackItUp and HP and Compaq... I like to test them first and they always seem to fail some how. Now I just bite the bullet and make an exact copy someplace like another hard disc or USB drive...

Does about 37,056,675,840 bytes or 34.5 GB sound about right for the amount of used space?

620*1024*1024*57 = 37,056,675,840

[edit] Was there a recovery partition on the drive as well?

----

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

On Linux, it's easy:

dd if=/dev/hda<whatever> | gzip >backup.gz

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

or even:

rsync src/ dest/
tar cjf backup.tar.bz2 dest/ 

be a lot faster than a full partition copy, and smaller. Especially if you keep the last "dest" arround after the last backup, it'll only need to copy files that have changed.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Ron Novy said:

Does about 37,056,675,840 bytes or 34.5 GB sound about right for the amount of used space?

No, used space was around 48 GB; although I may have removed some games before hand which would have freed up between 12 and 13 GB, so the lower bound on the estimate might be 35 GB. That makes the compression ratio seem reasonable. I should point out that the last INP file is not 620 MB, it is only 133,958 KB, and also that there are 58 INP files (on is named only BASE.INP, it is also 620 MB). So adding all of the data together and assuming that I did delete those games beforehand does come out pretty accurately to the total size of the disk images.

I am capable of doing some basic extraction from the backup files, but I haven't because I didn't actually lose any data from the process (well, maybe a few hours worth, but nothing tangible): I lost all of the time invested in installing and configuring applications.

--

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I lost all of the time invested in installing and configuring applications.

And thats why I waste hours and hours trying to fix windows rather than reinstall. Many times its quicker to waste all that time, than to reinstall and configure all your programs. But sometimes its not worth the hassle, so I reinstall anyhow.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Ron Novy
Member #6,982
March 2006

All of this goes to show you that the only reliable backup of data is an exact uncompressed copy...

----

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

And thats why I waste hours and hours trying to fix windows rather than reinstall. Many times its quicker to waste all that time, than to reinstall and configure all your programs. But sometimes its not worth the hassle, so I reinstall anyhow.

I have devloped the habit of changing the configuration only enough to be bearable, and leave the rest the default settings. This way I avoid a lot of overhead when re-installing, at the cost of having to work with, well, the defaults.
Another benefit is that my settings at home are almost identical to the ones of any machine I use at work.

I also let go of a full-image backup; when the system goes down, I re-install and restore my data (but not the system) from a backup (two machines that mirror each other plus an external backup drive).

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

1   2 

Go to: