Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Can I play video with Allegro?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Can I play video with Allegro?
scu scu
Member #10,719
February 2009

I need to play a video, how can I do it?

Audric
Member #907
January 2001

AVI FLI yes (see manual), DivX no.

Blitkrieg
Member #10,741
March 2009

yes, you can do that with allegavi.

http://oginer.webcindario.com/index.php?page=allegavi

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You can play Ogg Theora and Mpeg1 with APEG.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Anyone planning to add that for A5?

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

"We accept patches."

On a more serious note, I think it would make for an excellent addon, but not necessarily one that has to be bundled with Allegro (but feel free to argue that it should be). In other words, I think it would make a good 3rd party addon.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

On a more serious note, I think it would make for an excellent addon, but not necessarily one that has to be bundled with Allegro (but feel free to argue that it should be).

What are your reservations for bundling it with Allegro? What about having different bundles? AllegroLite could be the bare essentials and AllegroSuite could have a bunch of addons already together.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Either way it's decided, I think a video addon of some kind SHOULD be part of A5. Look at most commercial games...they have some sort of video playback. There are not a lot of commercial quality games here, but there COULD be. Things I think we should have addons for:

• Sound support wav, ogg, etc

• 2D collision detection

• 2D sprite animation support

• GUI framework

• Network library with low level and high level interfaces

• Video playback

• Pathfinding (A*,Dijkstra,etc)

If they are part of the core, fine...if not, fine. I'm not really all that picky about it. It would just be nice to have an Allegro style system that others could use to rapidly create quality games/apps. These are just things that I think a lot of games end up needing in one way or another.

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

What are your reservations for bundling it with Allegro?

No real reservations or objections, it's essentially what I perceive to be the scope of such an addon that makes me think it should be a third party addon rather than an addon that is bundled with Allegro in the sense that it lives in Allegro's SVN tree (that's what "bundled with Allegro" means to me). If you did that the Allegro developers are in effect responsible for maintaining it on all supported platforms. I think that could be a huge undertaking and not one that I would volunteer for myself. That's my main reason for feeling it should probably be a third party addon, but that's purely a personal reason.
I should also stress that there is nothing wrong with having third party addons! In fact, they are encouraged.

There is also the slight concern of the extra dependencies it would bring in. They would be optional, of course, but still.

Quote:

AllegroLite could be the bare essentials and AllegroSuite could have a bunch of addons already together.

There's a matter of semantics as well.
To me, "bundled" means it's effectively part of Allegro and the burden of maintaining it is on the Allegro developers. If by "bundled" you mean someone takes Allegro plus whatever third party addons they think are useful and provides them in a single download, that's of course fine.

Now, my purely subjective comments on possible addons:

Quote:

1. Sound support wav, ogg, etc

We have that already.

Quote:

1. 2D collision detection

2. 2D sprite animation support

Wouldn't those depend very much on how you store things in your code?
Speaking for myself, I have a way to handle this that I like and prefer, but it's not so general that everyone can use it and I'm pretty sure not everyone would want to. I think that applies both ways.

Quote:

1. GUI framework

This has been discussed in depth.

Quote:

1. Network library with low level and high level interfaces

Mmmmmmyeah. Ok.

Quote:

1. Video playback

See above.

Quote:

1. Pathfinding (A*,Dijkstra,etc)

Again, that depends on how you represent your in-game data. Unless you want to force people to store their data in a certain way, I don't think this is easily done in a way that's general enough to be useful for everyone.

Again, these are my personal thoughts to those suggestions. Not saying it can't be done or no addon couldn't be made to do those, just saying I don't see some of these things being "low level" enough to easily provide a general implementation for.

And, again, there is nothing wrong with people providing third-party addons! In fact, do!.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Quote:

AllegroSuite could have a bunch of addons already together.

Can we call it AllegroSweet? Please?

count
Member #5,401
January 2005

Quote:

1. 2D sprite animation support

Do you mean animated sprites made out of allegros bitmaps? Or where you thinking about a specific animated sprite format (like flic which I don't know much about)?

I too hava a solution for this which is using allegros bitmaps but it is in c++ and is only working when one is using the delta time method.
I was wondering about how one could write something like this not depending on those factors... maybe I can come up with something usefull. Or someone here has some good ideas.

will post some first ideas later.

EDIT:
Didn't want to go offtopic here. Made a new thread with the animated bitmap stuff here

Go to: