Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Allegro 4.9.8

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Allegro 4.9.8
MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I wasn't able to run the program either.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Ok...thanks to those willing to try. What are your video cards (ATI,nVidia,Intel)? Also, if you would, can you try with this file? Just place it in the data/gfx folder. It's weird, but it works for my other box that didn't work before.:o

Edit:
The executable was created using Visual Studio 2008, so you may need the run times for that. If you already have Visual Studio 2008, then I guess you don't have to worry.::)

Thanks again to all those willing to give it a go.:D

Also, here are the libs/dlls/includes I used for development.::)

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

There could be something funky with your build of Allegro that doesn't work with the allegro5.org dlls. IIRC, not having the runtime actually should come up with an error along those lines.

When I tested, it was with a nVidia card. 6600GT AGP (It's a PCI Express card retro fitted to AGP actually, including GDDR3 ram, which no current AGP has now...)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Quote:

IIRC, not having the runtime actually should come up with an error along those lines.

Yeah, it SHOULD give you an error like 'This program has used the c-runtime incorrectly' or something.

Quote:

There could be something funky with your build of Allegro that doesn't work with the allegro5.org dlls

I don't think so, but I guess it could be possible. I've included the development stuff above.

I wonder if it has something to do with integrated cards. My laptop is of course integrated, but my desktop is not. The desktop works fine.::) It does work with the new version of Terrain.png I posted above, so please see if it does for you as well.:D

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

It didn't work with the files in the binary pack at allegro5.org, but it worked with the ones in your attachment.

It worked (painfully slow on my machine) with the 10x10 terrain grid, but not with the original one. I have a crappy old integrated Intel graphics card.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I have VS2008 and I run vista so I don't need the additional MS files. Are you checking all the return values on startup?

You mentioned gfx folder? All you sent in the original was a single exe. Do you need the gfx and if so, why aren't you checking the files exist?

btw, shouldn't this strain of messages be moved to another thread?

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Quote:

It didn't work with the files in the binary pack at allegro5.org, but it worked with the ones in your attachment.

That is strange...I'll have to take a look at THAT one. The only thing I could imagine is they use a different version of libpng or something.

How fast is your computer ken? I'd like to know what kind of hit to my user base to expect using the new API.::)

Edit:

Quote:

You mentioned gfx folder? All you sent in the original was a single exe. Do you need the gfx and if so, why aren't you checking the files exist?

They are in the original post, but it includes the source and project files as well. I just included the bin for those not wanting to compile it.::)

Yeah, maybe this should be in a new thread...;D

--

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I have a pretty old machine. It's a Celeron CPU @ 1.70 GHz with an Intel 82845G/GL Graphics Controller.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

ok, i've downloaded your source. You aren't checking a single return value so I have no idea where it is failing.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

Quote:

ok, i've downloaded your source. You aren't checking a single return value so I have no idea where it is failing.

I am checking for an invalid image loaded using al_iio_load in LoadTiledImage:

unsigned int LoadTiledImage( const char *fileName, unsigned int borderSize,
           unsigned int tileWidth, unsigned int tileHeight,
           ImageVector &dest )
{
//  ...
  ALLEGRO_BITMAP *tmp = al_iio_load(fileName);
  if ( !tmp )
    return 0;

The actual line of code that dies is al_iio_load. It doesn't even get to the if (!tmp) line. I've checked the all of the return values during my debug session before posting my question here. I've even commented out parts of the program to narrow the offending section down. My conclusion was the call to al_iio_load. As soon as that function is called...blammo. It dies using the original Terrain.png file. What dies is not anything that is from Allegro or my program directly. It seems to be coming from the graphics driver dll functions, probably in a DirectX call somewhere. I can only get assembly output for that section as well...even with debug options on for Allegro and my program. If no one else is interested in this, then please just disregard my question(s) in this regard. I am going to assume that this is something of an issue with various graphics card drivers and will program around this. The developers do not seem to be that interested anyway....:-/ I'll try to keep an eye on future issues others may have and see if this is something in common with others, or just something of a fluke.???

--

Go to: