Allegro 4.9.8
Peter Wang

Allegro 4.9.8 ("Lesbian House Party") is released.

Quote:

Changes from 4.9.7.1 to 4.9.8 (February 2009)
=============================================

The main developers this time were: Thomas Fjellstrom, Trent Gamblin,
Evert Glebbeek, Matthew Leverton, Milan Mimica, Elias Pschernig, Paul Suntsov,
Peter Wang.

General:

- Lots of bug fixes.

File system hooks:

- Rationalised file system hook functions. Failure reasons can be retrieved
with al_get_errno().

- Enable large file support on 32-bit systems.

- Converted the library and addons to use file system hook functions.

Path functions:

- Added al_path_clone(), al_path_make_canonical(), al_path_make_absolute(),
al_path_set_extension(), al_{get,set}_orgname, al_{get,set}_appname}
functions.

- Made al_path_get_extension() not include the leading "." of the extension,

- Add AL_EXENAME_PATH, AL_USER_SETTINGS_PATH, AL_SYSTEM_SETTINGS_PATH enums
for al_get_path().

String routines:

- Added a new, dynamically allocating UTF-8 string API. This uses bstrlib
internally, which is distributed under a BSD licence. Allegro 5 will
expect all strings to be either ASCII compatible, or in UTF-8 encoding.

- Removed many old Unicode string functions. (Eventually they will all be
removed.)

Config routines:

- Clarified behaviour of al_config_add_comment, al_config_set_value with
regards to whitespace and leading comment marks.

Graphics:

- Bug fixes on Windows and Mac OS X for resizing, switching away, setting full
screens, multi-monitor, etc.

- Added an al_get_opengl_texture() convenience function.

- Added separate alpha blending.

- Added ALLEGRO_PIXEL_FORMAT_ANY.

- Honour al_set_new_window_position() in X11 port.

- Made the X11 port fail to set a full screen mode if the requested resolution
cannot be set rather than falling back to a windowed mode.

Input:

- Added a field to the mouse state struct to indicate the display the mouse is
currently on.

- Made DirectX enumerate all joysticks/gamepads properly by using a device
type new to DirectInput 8.

- Fixed a bug in wmouse.c where y was not changed in al_set_mouse_xy.

- Support ALLEGRO_EVENT_MOUSE_ENTER/LEAVE_DISPLAY events in Windows.

Addons:

- Added a primitives addon.

- Revamp interface for kcm_audio addon to make simple cases easier.

- Added native .wav support and save sample routines to acodec addon.

- Added a colors addon.

- Added memory file addon and example.

TTF addon:

- Added al_ttf_get_text_dimensions() function.

- Allow specifying the font size more precisely by passing a negative font
size.

- Guess the filenames of kerning info for Type1 fonts.

Documentation:

- Added a new documentation system using Pandoc. Now we can generate HTML,
man, Info and PDF formats.

- Added and fixed lots of documentation.

Examples:

- Added ex_prim, ex_mouse_focus examples.

- Made ex_blend2 more comprehensive.

- Updated ex_get_path example.

- Made ex_ttf accept the TTF file name on the command line.

Build system:

- Use official CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE method of selecting which build configuration.
This should work better for non-make builds, however, it's no longer
possible to build multiple configurations with a single configuration step
as we could previously.

Removals:

- Remove outdated A4 tools.

- Remove icodec addon.

- SCons build was unmaintained and not working.

Thomas Fjellstrom

The X port also has the monitor information api implemented, so you can query how many monitors there are and what size they are.

Neil Walker

Excellent, I'm definitely moving over very soon.

btw, the 'string api' mentioned, is this built in or an add-on? I get the impression it's built in but I would have said it isn't core functionality required to do anything useful with Allegro (especially as most people stick with standard ascii character set and use their own anyway (e.g. stl::string)

Peter Wang

It's built in. Lots of things internally need strings, e.g. config files, path manipulation. Although we could almost get away with supporting only plain ASCII, it turns out the UTF-8 code adds up to (much) less than 5% of the total string code. We need UTF-8 support for printing strings anyway.

BTW, the basic string code is really high quality (we use bstrlib, which deserves all the credit). For example, you can insert a substring of a string into itself and it will work exactly as you expect instead of blowing up.

You could even (ab)use the strings as generic, dynamically growing byte arrays since they store NUL bytes just fine.

Neil Walker

ok, I see where you're going looking at the api documentation and what's an add-on and what's built in.

btw, what's the difference between al_load_bitmap and the image addon al_iio_load? they both seem to load bitmaps in various formats, including standard pcx.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

btw, what's the difference between al_load_bitmap and the image addon al_iio_load? they both seem to load bitmaps in various formats, including standard pcx.

At one point people figured it was a good idea to keep image loading totally separate, but by now I think most/all devs are of the opinion that something like register_bitmap_file_type should be re added, so al_load_bitmap or a function like it can function again with any and all format extensions a user uses.

I don't think al_load_bitmap supports ANY format currently. Infact, it seems it's commented out in src/bitmap_new.c.

Neil Walker

I just looked (could be looking in the wrong place) at SVN and both seem to be doing their own loading.

Seems daft to have multiple methods that do the same thing though in different areas. There's nothing wrong with having all image loading in an add-on library but making it mandatory?

Elias

al_iio_load likely will eventually be renamed to al_load_bitmap.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

I just looked (could be looking in the wrong place) at SVN and both seem to be doing their own loading.

al_load_bitmap is #if 0'ed out.

Quote:

al_iio_load likely will eventually be renamed to al_load_bitmap.

So iio is going to be pulled into the core then? I think it'd be better to just re add al_register_bitmap_file_type, and al_load_bitmap, and have iio register its types. Then other addons can provide more image types later on. And all allegro has in-core is al_register_bitmap_file_type and al_load_bitmap.

Elias

I don't think it should be in the core. Just renamed. But I'm all for having an al_register_bitmap_file_type again.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

I don't think it should be in the core. Just renamed.

al_iio_load hard codes the other iio loader functions ;) Not that useful for a nice extensible library.

Elias

True, but I meant just in general - someone needs to fix it first of course. It shouldn't be hard to replace the hard-coded loaders with an extensible list..

Todd Cope

Build went smooth. I noticed the ex_prim example program didn't get built, though. Also, I like that the shared libs are built by default now in MinGW.

SiegeLord
Quote:

I noticed the ex_prim example program didn't get built, though.

Were there errors? It also won't build if you don't have ttf support. Was ex_ttf built for you?

Todd Cope
Quote:

It also won't build if you don't have ttf support.

That explains it.

BigBertus

Looks fine.

ex_mouse crashes for me, though:

Starting program: E:\prog\all498\allegro\build\examples/ex_mouse.exe

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x628792ab in mouse_directx_get_state (ret_state=0x22fe60)
    at e:/prog/all498/allegro/src/win/wmouse.c:1048
1048          the_mouse.state.display = win_disp->is_mouse_on ? (void*)win_dis
: NULL;
(gdb) backt
#0  0x628792ab in mouse_directx_get_state (ret_state=0x22fe60)
#1  0x0040151d in _mangled_main ()
    at e:/prog/all498/allegro/examples/ex_mouse.c:60
#2  0x6287942b in _WinMain (_main=0x401490, hInst=0x400000, hPrev=0x0,
    Cmd=0x241f13 "", nShow=10) at e:/prog/all498/allegro/src/win/wnewsys.c:136
#3  0x0040162e in WinMain (hInst=0x400000, hPrev=0x0, Cmd=0x241f13 "",
    nShow=10) at e:/prog/all498/allegro/examples/ex_mouse.c:75
#4  0x004017e8 in main ()

This is the first time I see any Alegro 4.9/5 stuff. So, I wonder if there any plans to support more blending-modes?
For example something like

glBlendFunc(GL_ZERO, GL_SRC_COLOR);

???

Thomas Fjellstrom

edit: nm

Milan Mimica
Florian Bueren said:

1048 the_mouse.state.display = win_disp->is_mouse_on ? (void*)win_dis : NULL;

I think the whole input mechanism on Windows is still broken. I've tried to fix it but I failed at even understanding it. This specific error could be fixed by replacing the offending line with
the_mouse.state.display = win_disp ? (win_disp->is_mouse_on ? (void*)win_disp : NULL) : NULL;
but that's not supposed to happen in a well written code and there's probably other places where the same problem can occur.

Don Freeman

The mouse_cursors example program does not update the cursor, unless you leave the window and come back and the ex_mouse just dies on mine...actually just keeps running in the background and I have to kill it. Running Windows Server 2008. I love the primitives addon! That is friggin sweet with the textured and lit shapes! Would be easy to do some real time lighting with those!:D Will there be support for the chm docs later? I kind of liked those...;) Also, the demo program compiles fine...just dies on run though. I've moved the executable around to see if it was just missing the data files, but still just dies. Something for the newer guys later: If you don't have the DirectX SDK listed on the very top of the include and library directories option in Visual Studio...you WILL get errors such as undefined reference to _IID_DirectInput8 and such. Took me a minute to figure out, but was confusing at first. Also, will there be an updated grabber? Maybe with the Ma5king GUI lib and maybe some LUA sprinkled in for fun?!? Hint hint...::) Great job guys...Looks pretty awesome! I think I'll start to port over now before I get too tangled up with the old Allegro API in my current project.8-)

Edit:
Love the title: Allegro 4.9.8 ("Lesbian House Party");D Can't wait to see what the actual version 5 will be code named!8-) "Picolo's Curse" or such...:o

Elias
Quote:

So, I wonder if there any plans to support more blending-modes?
For example something like

glBlendFunc(GL_ZERO, GL_SRC_COLOR);

No, that's what OpenGL is for. It would be rather pointless for us to provide all the OpenGL blending modes, and then maybe also support for compiling fragment shaders. OTOH, if someone feels like making an addon for it...

BigBertus
Quote:

No, that's what OpenGL is for. It would be rather pointless for us to provide all the OpenGL blending modes, and then maybe also support for compiling fragment shaders. OTOH, if someone feels like making an addon for it...

Well, I thought it'd be cool to be able to use them with Direct3D ... indirectly, without using Direct3D ;D
All those people with bad/broken/... GL drivers... who would potentially play 2D-games with cool blending effects ;)

Neil Walker

Probably repeating the above, but what if you are in directx mode or auto mode and you don't know what mode you are in? you don't provide access functions to dx in the same way as opengl, or do you? (not that I know directx at all...)

Trent Gamblin

There are access function for directx

al_d3d_get_device(ALLEGRO_DISPLAY *display);
al_d3d_get_system_texture(ALLEGRO_BITMAP *bitmap);
al_d3d_get_video_texture(ALLEGRO_BITMAP *bitmap);

Elias

They are rather useless though, as they only work under Windows.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

Watch out, trentg might label you as a Stallman clone if you say anything that might even remotely put windows, or developing windows specific code in a bad light.

vbovio

I just checked this release, code and docs, great work!
the A5 WIP looks promising.

GullRaDriel
Quote:

Let's tease Elias: I think it's normal, for some D3D functions, to only work under windows :-)

Elias
Quote:

Watch out, trentg might label you as a Stallman clone if you say anything that might even remotely put windows, or developing windows specific code in a bad light.

Heh. I just want that most A5 programs written under Windows will run equally under Linux and OSX. If there is a reason to have Windows-specific features, then I don't have anything against that. Just experience with A4 shows that people used Windows specific stuff all the time for no good reason. So with A5, we should not encourage the same by advertising any platform specific functions. The same goes the other way around, Linux or OSX specific functions should not be normally used. Unless it makes sense of course, if you make a high quality game it may be worth the time to do things differently for platforms, so it's good if Allegro 5 allows doing so.

OpenGL is a different matter. We simply can't provide all the same functionality OpenGL (or DirectX) provide in Allegro, even though it all is useful for games. It has been done in projects like Ogre or Wine maybe, but those are huge compared to Allegro. And OpenGL already is cross-platform and usually works under Windows, so I don't see a big problem to use it whenever the Allegro API isn't enough.

Evert
Quote:

Just experience with A4 shows that people used Windows specific stuff all the time for no good reason. So with A5, we should not encourage the same by advertising any platform specific functions.

I agree 100%. I also think that by extension, this implies that requiring OpenGL for some (common?) tasks isn't quite "platform-neutral" enough, despite OpenGL working fine in Windows. It feels a bit like saying "but you can run X11 applications on a Mac too, so we don't need a native OS X port, the X11 port will do fine" (the X11 port doesn't work on OS X, by the way, it would be good if it did though).
I don't think we should go out of our way to wrap all of OpenGL, but some wrapping (blending?) might be in order, with the added bonus that it'd also work with D3D (don't bother with software for the time being). Now, I have a feeling this has been discussed before, and it may not be as easy as I'm making it out to be.

Quote:

And OpenGL already is cross-platform and usually works under Windows, so I don't see a big problem to use it whenever the Allegro API isn't enough.

The problem is with Windows users may (will) want to use D3D for whatever reason - which means they'll have to write platform specific code. If we can wrap that, so much the better.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

If we can wrap that, so much the better.

Indeed. Which is why I'd be in favor of supporting more blending modes, and things like shaders and whatnot. Make it so even fairly complex Allegro 5 games can use completely platform neutral code, including no direct GL.

Trent Gamblin

4.9.8 binaries are on allegro5.org.

Elias
Quote:

Indeed. Which is why I'd be in favor of supporting more blending modes, and things like shaders and whatnot. Make it so even fairly complex Allegro 5 games can use completely platform neutral code, including no direct GL.

I'm also in favor of it from a user view, I just don't think it's realistic to expect we will get developers to implement it. Also, if we add support for shaders, there wouldn't be much need for the fixed blending modes - we would just have some example shaders doing what the fixed ones do. Not sure about the memory functions - if Mesa supports shaders, we likely could require it, or another free library, if one exists.

So, any volunteers for adding support for pixel shaders?

Trent Gamblin

A portable pixel shader library is a huge undertaking. They already exist. Why not just let the user choose one of the existing ones?

Evert
Quote:

I just don't think it's realistic to expect we will get developers to implement it.

Ah! Now that is a wholly different issue. We probably could use an extra pair of hands there. I currently lack the knowledge it would take to help out with something like that (as in, I've never done anything similar with OpenGL).

Quote:

Also, if we add support for shaders, there wouldn't be much need for the fixed blending modes - we would just have some example shaders doing what the fixed ones do.

Ok.

Quote:

if Mesa supports shaders, we likely could require it, or another free library, if one exists.

Hehe... these days I think of something else when I see "mesa". Interesting how that works (no, I'm sure that one does not support shaders of any kind).

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

Why not just let the user choose one of the existing ones?

That would also work. Some kind of simple interface between said libs, and allegro (so you don't end up having to call d3d or gl specific functions yourself) would be nice though.

I really only gave "shaders" as an example of something we may want to support in a platform neutral way. I'm sick and tired, so I can't recall anything else ;D

Neil Walker
Quote:

The problem is with Windows users may (will) want to use D3D for whatever reason - which means they'll have to write platform specific code. If we can wrap that, so much the better.

Perhaps I'm getting mixed up with how the display flags work, I saw:

ALLEGRO_OPENGL - require the driver to provide an initialized opengl context after returning successfully
ALLEGRO_DIRECT3D - require the driver to do rendering with Direct3D and provide a Direct3D device

And figured that to get hardware acceleration (or however the library implements the functions) you had to specify one of them (or both for a random choice) and got software everything if you didn't.

Trent Gamblin

There is no software driver, at least not yet. On windows, direct3d is the default, on other systems, opengl is the default, and the only.

Evert
Quote:

On windows, direct3d is the default, on other systems, opengl is the default

And this is exactly why we need something to offer people using the default setup.

Quote:

Some kind of simple interface between said libs, and allegro (so you don't end up having to call d3d or gl specific functions yourself) would be nice though.

Shader add-on based on one of said libs? I'm for it.

Quote:

figured that to get hardware acceleration (or however the library implements the functions) you had to specify one of them

Nope. The point is to get hardware acceleration by default.

Elias
Quote:

And this is exactly why we need something to offer people using the default setup.

Well, if they need more functionality than Allegro can provide, they have to use either DirectX or OpenGL (or another library) - nothing we can do about it. But OpenGL is the best choice since it works (is supposed to work) everywhere already.

Neil Walker

Best get a move on then, I was searching for some stuff on opengl performance and near the top of the search list was this, dates just a few months ago at gamedev.net. Be warned, it'll have you spitting blood ;)

Quote:

Allegro is an old DOS gaming library written by Shawn Hargreaves in the early ninties. A small community rose around it, and have since shoe-horned it onto every other OS possible.

It creates a window for you with a macro hack and manages it on its own, and it can create a few different video drivers, like directdraw and GDI. But the library has pretty much stalled since 2000, when they started planning for version 5 and it still hasn't gotten off the ground... It technically still works, but it's not really relevant anymore. You should use something more modern.

Trent Gamblin
Quote:

Shader add-on based on one of said libs? I'm for it.

I would say that's the way to go. I've got too many projects on the go right now to take this one though.

Elias

The "macro hack" reminds me, what about removing END_OF_MAIN from Allegro 5? I sent a patch to the mailing list to do so some time ago, but got no conclusive comments. That patch doesn't change any functionality, just instead of having

int main()
{
}
END_OF_MAIN()

you would then have:

int allegro_main()
{
}

This was originally suggested by Peter Hull, and I think it is much less hackish, no macros at all involved.

Evert
Quote:

dates just a few months ago at gamedev.net.

How many months? This is relevant, because A5 has matured considerably over the past few months.

Quote:

Be warned, it'll have you spitting blood

Not really. It probably is becoming time to spread "A5" news a bit beyond these boards though.

Quote:

I've got too many projects on the go right now to take this one though.

Sure. Which is why we need an extra pair of hands.
Now that SiegeLord is done with his primitives addon, maybe he can do this one? Preferably before the next WIP? ;)

Quote:

This was originally suggested by Peter Hull, and I think it is much less hackish, no macros at all involved.

I guess. Let's just be very clear that it can't be that the user could write "int main()" without doing anything special on other platforms and have it work.
Although, we could stick an (optional) "#define main allegro_main" in there.
Personally I'll gladly settle for something that lets me write plain "int main(void|int, char**)" without doing anything special, while at the same time allowing the user to disable any "main hijacking" transparently.
In short:
Have main/allegro_main "just work" without tweaking on Windows and *nix (ie, maybe have #define allegro_main main).
Have a "real" main living in "liballegromain.a" on OS X that gets linked in, call "allegro_main" in user code, which the user secretly created by "#define main allegro_main". This can be easily disabled by not linking "liballegromain.a" and not doing the "#define".
This way, the user can (normally) write either "main" or "allegro_main" and have either of those work reliably, but still disable it easily if they need to get rid of it (when using Allegro along some other library that needs to have access to main).
That's my personal preference though.
There was something else I wanted to say, but I forget. I need to rush for morning coffee meeting anyway.

kenmasters1976

I'm thinking into installing Allegro 4.9.8 and give it a try (that announcement in the main page really got me).

Neil Walker
Evert
Quote:

Use google and enter "Allegro You should use something more modern", it's the first entry.

October then, at the beginning of the current more regular release schedule.
As I said, it's been maturing a lot since then (obviously most of the work was done before that time).

Matthew Leverton

I wouldn't worry about it. GD has been full of misinformation about Allegro ever since version 4 was released. In library-vs-library threads, somebody always makes the claim that it's an "old DOS blitting library" as to imply that it's useless to the person asking the question—even when it's obvious that the person doesn't even have the skills to reach the limits of QBASIC.

Don Freeman

Would anyone be willing to try my binaries to see if you have trouble with the audio? The ex_saw works fine and I get sound, but the demo doesn't load and such. It seems something is amiss with the kcm_audio addon, but I don't know...Everything else seems to be fine.

Libs
Error from demo:

/*
Keyboard driver installed.
Error loading sample (null)
Failed to load demo\data\sfx\big_explosion.ogg
Error loading resources.
Error in initialization.
*/

I checked...the sample is there and plays fine in media player classic.
This is my cmake cache.
Is openAL required, even under Windows? If so, that might be the problem. I am not using it as you can see above in the cmake cache. I was under the impression that it would default to DirectSound under Windows.::)

As always,
Thanks guys!8-)

Matthew Leverton

I believe the demo requires the ogg library. OpenAL is not needed under Windows.

GullRaDriel

I am building it. Feedback soon !

Kibiz0r
Quote:

So iio is going to be pulled into the core then? I think it'd be better to just re add al_register_bitmap_file_type, and al_load_bitmap, and have iio register its types. Then other addons can provide more image types later on. And all allegro has in-core is al_register_bitmap_file_type and al_load_bitmap.

This would be ideal for Allegro#'s API, as I can't make a partial class across two assemblies, so instead of the elegant Bitmap.Load(), you get the ugly ImageIO.LoadBitmap().

I'm able to reconcile saving bitmaps with extension methods, though, so you at least get the myBitmap.Save() either way.

Neil Walker

Just a thought on allegro#

Why not make it xna ready? as in give an 'allegro' style front-end but what you write at the back end is xna rather than directx.

SiegeLord
Quote:

Why not make it xna ready? as in give an 'allegro' style front-end but what you write at the back end is xna rather than directx.

Because what would be written at the back end would be XNA rather than DirectX. ;)

Kibiz0r
Quote:

Because the back end is neither. It dispatches straight into the Allegro DLL you provide. (or build as part of Allegro#'s build process) All Allegro# does is provide a .NET-style API and manage the ugly bits, of which there are many.

It would be cool to have an Allegro+XNA wrapper library, but that's another project entirely. (actually, one which I have sort of started on the side...) Besides, I've been careful so far to keep it as cross-platform as C# can be and XNA would destroy that.

I'm sure Shawn H. would appreciate the irony, though. :P

Alianix

Was Just wondering What does XNA smell like ? I'm asking cause i really don't wanna get too close to anything near Redmond;D

Neil Walker

Ah, I thought this was a port not a re-bind. But I guess a port of xna to look like allegro would be about as popular as Microsoft J# ;)

Then again, I'd try it...

Elias

Shawn Hargreaves is involved with it, so it's probably not too bad.

[edit: and don't ask who that is, or you may be considered unworthy of being in these forums.. :)]

Don Freeman
Still no luck with the ogg playback. I don't think it is working for windows in this release.:'( I have tried several times recompiling everything (including libogg and libvorbis), but still no luck. I have not tried the static build yet...maybe it works for that in Windows. I've tried both the November and June DirectX SDKs as well, though that should not matter as it is the ogg part that fails and wavs load and play fine. This is NOT just the demo program that fails. I can not load any ogg files with this new version. The ex_acodec and ex_acodec_multi examples also do not load oggs at all. The library versions I am using are:
[b]
Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2008) & also tried with Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2008)
libogg-1.1.3
libvorbis-1.2.0
freetype-2.3.8
libpng-1.2
libsndfile-1
zlib-1.2.3
flac-1.2.1
[/b]
Current CMakeCache:
[code]
/*
# This is the CMakeCache file.
# For build in directory: c:/libs/allegro/4.9.8/build
# It was generated by CMake: C:/Program Files/CMake 2.6/bin/cmake.exe
# You can edit this file to change values found and used by cmake.
# If you do not want to change any of the values, simply exit the editor.
# If you do want to change a value, simply edit, save, and exit the editor.
# The syntax for the file is as follows:
# KEY:TYPE=VALUE
# KEY is the name of a variable in the cache.
# TYPE is a hint to GUI's for the type of VALUE, DO NOT EDIT TYPE!.
# VALUE is the current value for the KEY.

########################
# EXTERNAL cache entries
########################

//Value Computed by CMake
ALLEGRO_BINARY_DIR:STATIC=C:/libs/allegro/4.9.8/build

//Value Computed by CMake
ALLEGRO_SOURCE_DIR:STATIC=C:/libs/allegro/4.9.8

//Path to a program.
AWK:FILEPATH=AWK-NOTFOUND

//Path to a program.
BIBTEX_COMPILER:FILEPATH=BIBTEX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND

//Choose the type of build, options are: None Debug Release RelWithDebInfo
// MinSizeRel Profile.
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=RelWithDebInfo

//Semicolon separated list of supported configuration types, only
// supports Debug, Release, MinSizeRel, and RelWithDebInfo, anything
// else will be ignored.
CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES:STRING=RelWithDebInfo

//C++ compiler
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER:FILEPATH=cl

//Flags used by the compiler during all build types.
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING= /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /Zm1000 /EHsc /GR

//Flags used by the compiler during debug builds.
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG:STRING=/D_DEBUG /MDd /Zi /Ob0 /Od /RTC1

//Flags used by the compiler during release minsize builds.
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL:STRING=/MD /O1 /Ob1 /D NDEBUG

//Flags used by the compiler during release builds (/MD /Ob1 /Oi
// /Ot /Oy /Gs will produce slightly less optimized but smaller
// files).
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE:STRING=/MD /O2 /Ob2 /D NDEBUG

//Flags used by the compiler during Release with Debug Info builds.
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO:STRING=/MD /Zi /O2 /Ob1 /D NDEBUG

//Libraries linked by defalut with all C++ applications.
CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_LIBRARIES:STRING=kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib

//C compiler
CMAKE_C_COMPILER:FILEPATH=cl

//Flags used by the compiler during all build types.
CMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING= /DWIN32 /D_WINDOWS /W3 /Zm1000

//Flags used by the compiler during debug builds.
CMAKE_C_FLAGS_DEBUG:STRING=/D_DEBUG /MDd /Zi /Ob0 /Od /RTC1

//Flags used by the compiler during release minsize builds.
CMAKE_C_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL:STRING=/MD /O1 /Ob1 /D NDEBUG

//Flags used by the compiler during release builds (/MD /Ob1 /Oi
// /Ot /Oy /Gs will produce slightly less optimized but smaller
// files).
CMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELEASE:STRING=/MD /O2 /Ob2 /D NDEBUG

//Flags used by the compiler during Release with Debug Info builds.
CMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO:STRING=/MD /Zi /O2 /Ob1 /D NDEBUG

//Libraries linked by defalut with all C applications.
CMAKE_C_STANDARD_LIBRARIES:STRING=kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib

//Flags used by the linker.
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS:STRING= /MANIFEST /STACK:10000000 /machine:I386

//Flags used by the linker during debug builds.
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_DEBUG:STRING=/debug /INCREMENTAL:YES

//Flags used by the linker during release minsize builds.
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL:STRING=/INCREMENTAL:NO

//Flags used by the linker during release builds.
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELEASE:STRING=/INCREMENTAL:NO

//Flags used by the linker during Release with Debug Info builds.
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO:STRING=/debug /INCREMENTAL:YES

//Install path prefix, prepended onto install directories.
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=C:/Program Files/ALLEGRO

//Path to a program.
CMAKE_LINKER:FILEPATH=CMAKE_LINKER-NOTFOUND

//make program
CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM:FILEPATH=C:/PROGRA~1/MICROS~1.0/Common7/IDE/devenv.com

//Flags used by the linker during the creation of modules.
CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS:STRING= /MANIFEST /STACK:10000000 /machine:I386

CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_DEBUG:STRING=/debug /INCREMENTAL:YES

CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL:STRING=/INCREMENTAL:NO

CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELEASE:STRING=/INCREMENTAL:NO

CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO:STRING=/debug /INCREMENTAL:YES

//RC compiler
CMAKE_RC_COMPILER:FILEPATH=rc

//Flags for Fortran compiler.
CMAKE_RC_FLAGS:STRING=' '

//Flags used by the linker during the creation of dll's.
CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS:STRING= /MANIFEST /STACK:10000000 /machine:I386

CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_DEBUG:STRING=/debug /INCREMENTAL:YES

CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL:STRING=/INCREMENTAL:NO

CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_RELEASE:STRING=/INCREMENTAL:NO

CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO:STRING=/debug /INCREMENTAL:YES

//If set, runtime paths are not added when using shared libraries.
CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH:BOOL=OFF

//If true, cmake will use relative paths in makefiles and projects.
CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS:BOOL=OFF

//If this value is on, makefiles will be generated without the
// .SILENT directive, and all commands will be echoed to the console
// during the make. This is useful for debugging only. With Visual
// Studio IDE projects all commands are done without /nologo.
CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=OFF

//Path to a program.
CTAGS:FILEPATH=CTAGS-NOTFOUND

//Path to a file.
D3D9_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2008)/Include

//Path to a library.
D3D9_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2008)/Lib/x86/d3d9.lib

//Path to a file.
DINPUT_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2008)/Include

//Path to a library.
DINPUT_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2008)/Lib/x86/dinput8.lib

//Path to a file.
DSOUND_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2008)/Include

//Path to a library.
DSOUND_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2008)/Lib/x86/dsound.lib

//Path to a program.
DVIPDF_CONVERTER:FILEPATH=DVIPDF_CONVERTER-NOTFOUND

//Path to a program.
DVIPS_CONVERTER:FILEPATH=DVIPS_CONVERTER-NOTFOUND

//Path to a file.
FLAC_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=C:/libs/flac-1.2.1/include

//Path to a library.
FLAC_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=C:/libs/flac-1.2.1/lib/libFLAC.lib

//Path to a file.
FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2:PATH=C:/libs/freetype-2.3.8/include

//Path to a file.
FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build:PATH=C:/libs/freetype-2.3.8/include

//Path to a library.
FREETYPE_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=C:/libs/freetype-2.3.8/objs/freetype238MT.lib

//Path to the GhostScript binary directory.
GHOSTSCRIPT_BINARY_PATH:PATH=GHOSTSCRIPT_BINARY_PATH-NOTFOUND

//Path to the GhostScript library directory.
GHOSTSCRIPT_LIBRARY_PATH:PATH=GHOSTSCRIPT_LIBRARY_PATH-NOTFOUND

//Path to a program.
GREP:FILEPATH=GREP-NOTFOUND

//Path to a file.
JPEG_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=JPEG_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND

//Path to a library.
JPEG_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=JPEG_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND

//Path to a program.
LATEX2HTML_CONVERTER:FILEPATH=LATEX2HTML_CONVERTER-NOTFOUND

//Path to a program.
LATEX_COMPILER:FILEPATH=LATEX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND

//Suffix for 'lib' directories, e.g. '64'
LIB_SUFFIX:STRING=

//Path to a program.
MAKEINDEX_COMPILER:FILEPATH=MAKEINDEX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND

//Path to a program.
MAKEINFO:FILEPATH=MAKEINFO-NOTFOUND

//Path to the MikTex binary directory.
MIKTEX_BINARY_PATH:PATH=MIKTEX_BINARY_PATH-NOTFOUND

//No floating point unit
NO_FPU:BOOL=OFF

//Path to a library.
OGG_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=C:/libs/libogg-1.1.3/win32/release/ogg.lib

//Path to a file.
OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR-NOTFOUND

//Path to a library.
OPENAL_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=OPENAL_LIBRARY-NOTFOUND

//OpenGL library for win32
OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY:STRING=opengl32

//GLU library for win32
OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY:STRING=glu32

//Path to a program.
PANDOC:FILEPATH=PANDOC-NOTFOUND

//Path to a program.
PDFLATEX_COMPILER:FILEPATH=PDFLATEX_COMPILER-NOTFOUND

//pkg-config executable
PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE:FILEPATH=PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE-NOTFOUND

//Path to a library.
PNG_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=C:/libs/libpng/lib/libpng.lib

//Path to a file.
PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=C:/libs/libpng/include

//Path to a program.
PS2PDF_CONVERTER:FILEPATH=PS2PDF_CONVERTER-NOTFOUND

//Path to a program.
SED:FILEPATH=SED-NOTFOUND

//Path to a program.
SH:FILEPATH=SH-NOTFOUND

//Build shared libraries
SHARED:BOOL=ON

//Path to a file.
SNDFILE_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=C:/libs/libsndfile/include

//Path to a library.
SNDFILE_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=C:/libs/libsndfile/libsndfile-1.lib

//Halt at warnings
STRICT_WARN:BOOL=OFF

//Path to a library.
VORBISFILE_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=C:/libs/libvorbis-1.2.0/win32/release/vorbisfile.lib

//Path to a file.
VORBIS_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=C:/libs/libvorbis-1.2.0/include

//Path to a library.
VORBIS_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=C:/libs/libvorbis-1.2.0/win32/release/vorbis.lib

//Enable audio codecs (requires kcm_audio)
WANT_ACODEC:BOOL=ON

//Enable ALSA digital audio driver (Unix)
WANT_ALSA:BOOL=OFF

//Enable color addon
WANT_COLOR:BOOL=ON

//Enable Direct3D graphics driver (Windows)
WANT_D3D:BOOL=ON

//Enable Direct3D 9Ex extensions (Vista)
WANT_D3D9EX:BOOL=OFF

//Generate documentation
WANT_DOCS:BOOL=ON

//Generate HTML documentation
WANT_DOCS_HTML:BOOL=ON

//Generate Info document
WANT_DOCS_INFO:BOOL=OFF

//Generate man pages
WANT_DOCS_MAN:BOOL=ON

//Generate PDF document (requires pdflatex)
WANT_DOCS_PDF:BOOL=OFF

//Enable Dsound digital audio driver (Windows)
WANT_DSOUND:BOOL=ON

//Enable FLAC support (acodec)
WANT_FLAC:BOOL=ON

//Enable bitmap font add-on
WANT_FONT:BOOL=ON

//Enable IIO image load/save addon
WANT_IIO:BOOL=ON

//Enable JPEG support in IIO
WANT_JPG:BOOL=OFF

//Enable kcm_audio engine
WANT_KCM_AUDIO:BOOL=ON

//Enable magic main
WANT_MAGIC_MAIN:BOOL=OFF

//Enable memfile addon
WANT_MEMFILE:BOOL=ON

//Enable OpenAL digital audio driver
WANT_OPENAL:BOOL=OFF

//Enable OpenGL graphics driver (Windows, X11))
WANT_OPENGL:BOOL=ON

//Enable OSS digital audio driver (Unix)
WANT_OSS:BOOL=OFF

//Enable PNG support in IIO
WANT_PNG:BOOL=ON

//Enable primitives addon
WANT_PRIMITIVES:BOOL=ON

//Enable WAV/AIFF/FLAC support (acodec)
WANT_SNDFILE:BOOL=ON

//Enable TTF addon
WANT_TTF:BOOL=ON

//Enable Ogg Vorbis support (acodec)
WANT_VORBIS:BOOL=ON

//X11 support
WANT_X11:BOOL=OFF

//Path to a file.
ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=C:/libs/zlib/include

//Path to a library.
ZLIB_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=C:/libs/zlib/lib/zlib.lib

//Dependencies for the target
a5_acodec_LIB_DEPENDS:STATIC=general;kcm_audio;general;C:/libs/flac-1.2.1/lib/libFLAC.lib;general;wsock32;general;C:/libs/libsndfile/libsndfile-1.lib;

a5_color_LIB_DEPENDS:STATIC=general;allegro;

a5_font_LIB_DEPENDS:STATIC=general;a5_iio;

a5_iio_LIB_DEPENDS:STATIC=general;allegro;general;C:/libs/libpng/lib/libpng.lib;general;C:/libs/zlib/lib/zlib.lib;

a5_memfile_LIB_DEPENDS:STATIC=general;allegro;

a5_primitives_LIB_DEPENDS:STATIC=general;allegro;

a5_ttf_LIB_DEPENDS:STATIC=general;a5_font;general;C:/libs/freetype-2.3.8/objs/freetype238MT.lib;

allegro_LIB_DEPENDS:STATIC=general;kernel32;general;user32;general;gdi32;general;comdlg32;general;ole32;general;dxguid;general;winmm;general;psapi;general;C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2008)/Lib/x86/d3d9.lib;general;C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2008)/Lib/x86/dinput8.lib;general;opengl32;general;glu32;

kcm_audio_LIB_DEPENDS:STATIC=general;allegro;general;C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2008)/Lib/x86/dsound.lib;

########################
# INTERNAL cache entries
########################

//Result of TEST_BIG_ENDIAN
ALLEGRO_BIG_ENDIAN:INTERNAL=0
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_DIRENT_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_DIRENT_H:INTERNAL=
//Have function fseeko
ALLEGRO_HAVE_FSEEKO:INTERNAL=
//Have function ftello
ALLEGRO_HAVE_FTELLO:INTERNAL=
//Have function getexecname
ALLEGRO_HAVE_GETEXECNAME:INTERNAL=
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_INTTYPES_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_INTTYPES_H:INTERNAL=
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_LINUX_JOYSTICK_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_LINUX_JOYSTICK_H:INTERNAL=
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_LINUX_SOUNDCARD_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_LINUX_SOUNDCARD_H:INTERNAL=
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_MACHINE_SOUNDCARD_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_MACHINE_SOUNDCARD_H:INTERNAL=
//Have function mkstemp
ALLEGRO_HAVE_MKSTEMP:INTERNAL=
//Have function mmap
ALLEGRO_HAVE_MMAP:INTERNAL=
//Have function mprotect
ALLEGRO_HAVE_MPROTECT:INTERNAL=
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_OSATOMIC_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_OSATOMIC_H:INTERNAL=
//Test ALLEGRO_HAVE_PROCFS_ARGCV
ALLEGRO_HAVE_PROCFS_ARGCV:INTERNAL=
//Have function sched_yield
ALLEGRO_HAVE_SCHED_YIELD:INTERNAL=
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_SOUNDCARD_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_SOUNDCARD_H:INTERNAL=
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_STDBOOL_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_STDBOOL_H:INTERNAL=
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_STDINT_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_STDINT_H:INTERNAL=
//Have function stricmp
ALLEGRO_HAVE_STRICMP:INTERNAL=1
//Have function strlwr
ALLEGRO_HAVE_STRLWR:INTERNAL=1
//Have function strupr
ALLEGRO_HAVE_STRUPR:INTERNAL=1
//Test ALLEGRO_HAVE_SV_PROCFS_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_SV_PROCFS_H:INTERNAL=
//Have function sysconf
ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYSCONF:INTERNAL=
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_IO_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_IO_H:INTERNAL=
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_SOUNDCARD_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_SOUNDCARD_H:INTERNAL=
//Have include ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_STAT_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_STAT_H:INTERNAL=1
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_TIME_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_TIME_H:INTERNAL=
//Have include ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H:INTERNAL=1
//Have includes ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_UTSNAME_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_SYS_UTSNAME_H:INTERNAL=
//Have include ALLEGRO_HAVE_TIME_H
ALLEGRO_HAVE_TIME_H:INTERNAL=1
//Result of CHECK_TYPE_SIZE
ALLEGRO_HAVE__BOOL:INTERNAL=
//Constructors supported
ALLEGRO_USE_CONSTRUCTOR:INTERNAL=0
//Stored GUID
ALL_BUILD_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=01710940-2D5F-4291-9044-FB836225292B
//Advanced flag for variable: AWK
AWK-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: BIBTEX_COMPILER
BIBTEX_COMPILER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//What is the target build tool cmake is generating for.
CMAKE_BUILD_TOOL:INTERNAL=C:/PROGRA~1/MICROS~1.0/Common7/IDE/devenv.com
//This is the directory where this CMakeCahe.txt was created
CMAKE_CACHEFILE_DIR:INTERNAL=c:/libs/allegro/4.9.8/build
//Major version of cmake used to create the current loaded cache
CMAKE_CACHE_MAJOR_VERSION:INTERNAL=2
//Minor version of cmake used to create the current loaded cache
CMAKE_CACHE_MINOR_VERSION:INTERNAL=6
//Major version of cmake used to create the current loaded cache
CMAKE_CACHE_RELEASE_VERSION:INTERNAL=patch 2
//Path to CMake executable.
CMAKE_COMMAND:INTERNAL=C:/Program Files/CMake 2.6/bin/cmake.exe
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES
CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Path to cpack program executable.
CMAKE_CPACK_COMMAND:INTERNAL=C:/Program Files/CMake 2.6/bin/cpack.exe
//Path to ctest program executable.
CMAKE_CTEST_COMMAND:INTERNAL=C:/Program Files/CMake 2.6/bin/ctest.exe
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER_WORKS:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_DEBUG-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELEASE-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO
CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_LIBRARIES
CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD_LIBRARIES-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_C_COMPILER
CMAKE_C_COMPILER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
CMAKE_C_COMPILER_WORKS:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_C_FLAGS
CMAKE_C_FLAGS-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_C_FLAGS_DEBUG
CMAKE_C_FLAGS_DEBUG-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_C_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL
CMAKE_C_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELEASE
CMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELEASE-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO
CMAKE_C_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_C_STANDARD_LIBRARIES
CMAKE_C_STANDARD_LIBRARIES-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Result of TRY_COMPILE
CMAKE_DETERMINE_CXX_ABI_COMPILED:INTERNAL=TRUE
//Result of TRY_COMPILE
CMAKE_DETERMINE_C_ABI_COMPILED:INTERNAL=TRUE
//Path to cache edit program executable.
CMAKE_EDIT_COMMAND:INTERNAL=C:/Program Files/CMake 2.6/bin/CMakeSetup.exe
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_DEBUG
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_DEBUG-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELEASE
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELEASE-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO
CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Name of generator.
CMAKE_GENERATOR:INTERNAL=Visual Studio 9 2008
//Start directory with the top level CMakeLists.txt file for this
// project
CMAKE_HOME_DIRECTORY:INTERNAL=C:/libs/allegro/4.9.8
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_LINKER
CMAKE_LINKER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM
CMAKE_MAKE_PROGRAM-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS
CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_DEBUG
CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_DEBUG-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL
CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELEASE
CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELEASE-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO
CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//number of local generators
CMAKE_NUMBER_OF_LOCAL_GENERATORS:INTERNAL=13
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_RC_COMPILER
CMAKE_RC_COMPILER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
CMAKE_RC_COMPILER_WORKS:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_RC_FLAGS
CMAKE_RC_FLAGS-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Path to CMake installation.
CMAKE_ROOT:INTERNAL=C:/Program Files/CMake 2.6/share/cmake-2.6
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS
CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_DEBUG
CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_DEBUG-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL
CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_MINSIZEREL-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_RELEASE
CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_RELEASE-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO
CMAKE_SHARED_LINKER_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Result of CHECK_TYPE_SIZE
CMAKE_SIZEOF_UNSIGNED_SHORT:INTERNAL=2
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH
CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Suppress Warnings that are meant for the author of the CMakeLists.txt
// files.
CMAKE_SUPPRESS_DEVELOPER_WARNINGS:INTERNAL=FALSE
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS
CMAKE_USE_RELATIVE_PATHS-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE
CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: CTAGS
CTAGS-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: D3D9_INCLUDE_DIR
D3D9_INCLUDE_DIR-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: D3D9_LIBRARY
D3D9_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: DINPUT_INCLUDE_DIR
DINPUT_INCLUDE_DIR-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: DINPUT_LIBRARY
DINPUT_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: DSOUND_INCLUDE_DIR
DSOUND_INCLUDE_DIR-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: DSOUND_LIBRARY
DSOUND_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: DVIPDF_CONVERTER
DVIPDF_CONVERTER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: DVIPS_CONVERTER
DVIPS_CONVERTER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Stored GUID
EDIT_CACHE_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=C1998CFC-D6A8-43BE-969D-95A83A96E651
//Details about finding D3D9
FIND_PACKAGE_MESSAGE_DETAILS_D3D9:INTERNAL=[C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2008)/Include][C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2008)/Lib/x86/d3d9.lib]
//Details about finding DINPUT
FIND_PACKAGE_MESSAGE_DETAILS_DINPUT:INTERNAL=[C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2008)/Include][C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2008)/Lib/x86/dinput8.lib]
//Details about finding DSOUND
FIND_PACKAGE_MESSAGE_DETAILS_DSOUND:INTERNAL=[C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2008)/Include][C:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2008)/Lib/x86/dsound.lib]
//Details about finding Freetype
FIND_PACKAGE_MESSAGE_DETAILS_Freetype:INTERNAL=[C:/libs/freetype-2.3.8/objs/freetype238MT.lib][C:/libs/freetype-2.3.8/include;C:/libs/freetype-2.3.8/include]
//Details about finding PNG
FIND_PACKAGE_MESSAGE_DETAILS_PNG:INTERNAL=[C:/libs/libpng/lib/libpng.lib][C:/libs/libpng/include]
//Details about finding VORBIS
FIND_PACKAGE_MESSAGE_DETAILS_VORBIS:INTERNAL=[C:/libs/libvorbis-1.2.0/include][C:/libs/libogg-1.1.3/win32/release/ogg.lib][C:/libs/libvorbis-1.2.0/win32/release/vorbis.lib][C:/libs/libvorbis-1.2.0/win32/release/vorbis.lib]
//Test FLAC_COMPILES
FLAC_COMPILES:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: FLAC_INCLUDE_DIR
FLAC_INCLUDE_DIR-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: FLAC_LIBRARY
FLAC_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2
FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build
FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: FREETYPE_LIBRARY
FREETYPE_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: GHOSTSCRIPT_BINARY_PATH
GHOSTSCRIPT_BINARY_PATH-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: GHOSTSCRIPT_LIBRARY_PATH
GHOSTSCRIPT_LIBRARY_PATH-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: GREP
GREP-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Result of TRY_COMPILE
HAVE_ALLEGRO_BIG_ENDIAN:INTERNAL=TRUE
//Result of TRY_COMPILE
HAVE_ALLEGRO_HAVE__BOOL:INTERNAL=FALSE
//Result of TRY_COMPILE
HAVE_CMAKE_SIZEOF_UNSIGNED_SHORT:INTERNAL=TRUE
//Have include stddef.h
HAVE_STDDEF_H:INTERNAL=1
//Have include stdint.h
HAVE_STDINT_H:INTERNAL=
//Have include sys/types.h
HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H:INTERNAL=1
//Stored GUID
INSTALL_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=6BDDEA0F-1971-496B-A194-A3C626DB14B3
//Advanced flag for variable: JPEG_INCLUDE_DIR
JPEG_INCLUDE_DIR-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: JPEG_LIBRARY
JPEG_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: LATEX2HTML_CONVERTER
LATEX2HTML_CONVERTER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: LATEX_COMPILER
LATEX_COMPILER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: MAKEINDEX_COMPILER
MAKEINDEX_COMPILER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: MAKEINFO
MAKEINFO-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: MIKTEX_BINARY_PATH
MIKTEX_BINARY_PATH-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: OGG_LIBRARY
OGG_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR
OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: OPENAL_LIBRARY
OPENAL_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY
OPENGL_gl_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY
OPENGL_glu_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Stored GUID
PACKAGE_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=3EE28E90-D9E5-4568-8E12-A2AC3F55B5CB
//Advanced flag for variable: PANDOC
PANDOC-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: PDFLATEX_COMPILER
PDFLATEX_COMPILER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE
PKG_CONFIG_EXECUTABLE-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: PNG_LIBRARY
PNG_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR
PNG_PNG_INCLUDE_DIR-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: PS2PDF_CONVERTER
PS2PDF_CONVERTER-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Stored GUID
REBUILD_CACHE_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=25F1A4EA-589A-4415-BA26-61E5314B4218
//Stored GUID
RUN_TESTS_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=877B9C37-C472-416C-99E9-0AEC9A54EC59
//Advanced flag for variable: SED
SED-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: SH
SH-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: SNDFILE_INCLUDE_DIR
SNDFILE_INCLUDE_DIR-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: SNDFILE_LIBRARY
SNDFILE_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: VORBISFILE_LIBRARY
VORBISFILE_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Test VORBIS_COMPILES
VORBIS_COMPILES:INTERNAL=
//Advanced flag for variable: VORBIS_INCLUDE_DIR
VORBIS_INCLUDE_DIR-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: VORBIS_LIBRARY
VORBIS_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Stored GUID
ZERO_CHECK_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=75AE54DA-56C1-404D-9A2D-869098B2074D
//Advanced flag for variable: ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR
ZLIB_INCLUDE_DIR-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Advanced flag for variable: ZLIB_LIBRARY
ZLIB_LIBRARY-ADVANCED:INTERNAL=1
//Result of TRY_COMPILE
_ctor_compileresult:INTERNAL=FALSE
//Stored GUID
a5_acodec_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=0A0CB5B9-CCDB-424E-B54D-6993DA5EEC86
//Stored GUID
a5_color_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=C802830C-7F4B-4022-9FEE-AD59734412E3
//Stored GUID
a5_font_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=FF8922A7-07BF-4BA9-A33E-CA75D622EA9E
//Stored GUID
a5_iio_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=FCE49E3D-33F3-43EA-BE09-A19A58377ECA
//Stored GUID
a5_memfile_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=83530815-0FC3-4EC3-805C-4513C5BE2608
//Stored GUID
a5_primitives_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=9B5B64F0-010F-4E8C-BF53-F18A05655715
//Stored GUID
a5_ttf_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=9B1ACFB1-11D5-4A3A-B4A9-25828A7C11A6
//Stored GUID
allegro_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=BFB2123E-B0BD-4B57-B7A4-49CCE0368039
//Stored GUID
copy_demo_data_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=CB1D907D-BBDE-47FA-9C7F-954FC7C869B8
//Stored GUID
copy_example_data_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=6615A3C4-9A7E-49F4-A759-2BE58B1BFFDE
//Stored GUID
demo_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=6829DB1E-F587-4C0B-80AC-C12916F9C7FC
//Stored GUID
docs_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=7F70210D-7969-4B03-B981-8647B1EFEFBC
//Stored GUID
ex_acodec_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=D217A0F0-30FF-441C-8A87-63FC31F36301
//Stored GUID
ex_acodec_multi_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=6D299E97-33A2-46CA-A436-6E0FB6B05655
//Stored GUID
ex_audio_simple_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=28C92724-0D49-4308-AA5A-ED6DA382F4E5
//Stored GUID
ex_bitmap_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=5D4CAE61-3BED-4983-A132-43E6C9F4E345
//Stored GUID
ex_bitmap_flip_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=9A6B1414-E12D-4E28-ADC0-3328C2F9BE40
//Stored GUID
ex_bitmap_target_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=74C735E9-333C-45FD-A7DE-4DD0CBF2314B
//Stored GUID
ex_blend2_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=4D60DCA7-4054-43B0-B42C-0A4901F655B8
//Stored GUID
ex_blend_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=6289942A-1017-413F-A557-C203A4831F9D
//Stored GUID
ex_color_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=20924EC8-55BE-4506-B98F-6418DE352717
//Stored GUID
ex_config_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=46DE26E5-9371-424F-90E9-CF1D369F56CC
//Stored GUID
ex_convert_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=44D330F3-22BF-44B9-8AB4-D502E5DD367A
//Stored GUID
ex_d3d_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=830DC791-1C00-4E35-858B-24A3FEE83F16
//Stored GUID
ex_disable_screensaver_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=1AC4D825-F343-41F4-AAD4-ECE5DD0B7BD6
//Stored GUID
ex_drawpixels_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=A123A45A-6F88-45C8-9CE4-32E55941ABC8
//Stored GUID
ex_dualies_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=35991120-B26F-46FE-9162-36B5F8B168BA
//Stored GUID
ex_expose_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=B88EF7A9-FAE9-46C4-B833-8FBB88226F29
//Stored GUID
ex_font_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=BED50E71-7612-4ADB-A105-7F31D4FDB775
//Stored GUID
ex_fs_resize_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=354A0415-4251-47E8-B233-A97C19E2E949
//Stored GUID
ex_get_path_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=0E1BC995-FBD6-446F-8BFF-4A64240331D9
//Stored GUID
ex_glext_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=62254223-0D60-4989-ADF9-9DCC38B14215
//Stored GUID
ex_icon_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=063101D3-6F23-4612-8A5D-8FFBE636D4B0
//Stored GUID
ex_joystick_events_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=59CFDB30-3A56-400A-B3D7-2DA091A21E61
//Stored GUID
ex_keyboard_events_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=F2148747-04CE-48FA-9447-7749DD92A531
//Stored GUID
ex_keyboard_focus_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=150EAB92-99D0-459A-89D8-403D0FB7A4F6
//Stored GUID
ex_lines_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=832B44C2-FBBA-42DB-9812-36E7ADDEDAEE
//Stored GUID
ex_lockbitmap_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=C9F88CBB-79E4-45EB-912E-80B5EF85A722
//Stored GUID
ex_lockscreen_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=6C38E9EA-FD7C-4176-9047-8179CD107FC2
//Stored GUID
ex_membmp_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=A37E16F3-2A26-4D58-A7A3-E76B4BB4A2BB
//Stored GUID
ex_memfile_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=76E28C8F-8739-4E3F-85E2-0FAF6DD3750E
//Stored GUID
ex_mixer_chain_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=7FF52E46-CB33-4BD1-934A-A29E0D06EC84
//Stored GUID
ex_monitorinfo_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=8277E6F4-AE5F-46B5-B6AB-456785F14394
//Stored GUID
ex_mouse_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=6E5C82B8-D01B-42A2-BC06-69CC8CFACD2C
//Stored GUID
ex_mouse_cursor_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=04522CE5-8247-43E2-A20E-E6AEC4543A38
//Stored GUID
ex_mouse_events_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=F78FE89E-4E9B-4EEA-B428-E435CE2130C5
//Stored GUID
ex_mouse_focus_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=96DD6D37-AF1C-489A-94E9-56749937CF1D
//Stored GUID
ex_multiwin_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=8BBA1124-B053-4FD6-9554-708E147A59E1
//Stored GUID
ex_noframe_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=0DBF692D-B892-481D-A96F-839B41FD6945
//Stored GUID
ex_opengl_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=70814F11-CC8D-494E-AE59-12F7479CAE2F
//Stored GUID
ex_path_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=E878AFC2-D029-449B-B8DB-2EC68A753739
//Stored GUID
ex_pixelformat_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=81ECEA2C-0460-4AD8-874D-148867CF5B11
//Stored GUID
ex_prim_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=E2A12645-7FBE-4516-BA01-14A97586F63B
//Stored GUID
ex_resize2_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=53AD99EB-808D-4535-B607-49B0CFFBA4E6
//Stored GUID
ex_resize_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=D648579E-7F31-410B-B4F7-636D0825F8E6
//Stored GUID
ex_saw_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=F8A93951-62AB-4655-9E6E-52CBD51FF294
//Stored GUID
ex_scale_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=ED64C182-4BBF-4D11-9BB2-FACA19658348
//Stored GUID
ex_stream_file_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=B2AF2E50-D0DF-4D42-B80B-4EED9DD4143E
//Stored GUID
ex_subbitmap_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=B33978D4-F37E-42DC-BB0F-D116016E195F
//Stored GUID
ex_threads2_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=E3E18312-B162-4536-9359-C029D18BCFDC
//Stored GUID
ex_threads_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=AB849845-00B6-492F-8B6E-9A49E6FD251B
//Stored GUID
ex_timedwait_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=2B657ED1-8E39-4E04-98D0-A5D00A764078
//Stored GUID
ex_timer_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=3D6A1970-541E-4B3D-9E39-8306778C437C
//Stored GUID
ex_ttf_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=5896FC22-C3D5-4A6A-BECF-ECA276C8FC9E
//Stored GUID
ex_user_events_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=25CAFB79-F9FD-485C-ABC3-BE6A5D4A3167
//Stored GUID
ex_utf8_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=D86CC271-26E7-4AEE-94CF-A18A280FE42E
//Stored GUID
ex_windows_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=2225468A-62B1-42DD-980A-B4427253DD3F
//Stored GUID
ex_winfull_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=4F799551-4272-4550-9745-5B748399323B
//Stored GUID
kcm_audio_GUID_CMAKE:INTERNAL=68F658A0-1005-462C-B46E-3AAA1B1414DA
*/
[/code]
Has anyone had success with the ogg playback in this version under Windows? If so, do you mind sharing your wisdom?!?;D
Thanks again.

Edit:
[quote]
Shawn Hargreaves is involved with it, so it's probably not too bad.
[edit: and don't ask who that is, or you may be considered unworthy of being in these forums.. :)]
[/quote]
Yeah...that would not be a good idea...;D
Trent Gamblin

Ogg works under windows, it's something in your configuration. If you're using MinGW, you can get fully built libraries with all dependencies from allegro5.org. If you want MSVC binaries I'll make time to make some.

Milan Mimica
Don Freeman said:

That's strange. I've looked at the source and I can't figure how it could print (null) there and the actual filename later. You should debug it.

Trent Gamblin

I just uploaded binaries for msvc. Direct link:

click me

Alianix

"Elias: Shawn Hargreaves is involved with it, so it's probably not too bad."

Aha !... Traitor ! (just kiddin ;D)

Kibiz0r
Quote:

Was Just wondering What does XNA smell like ?

The only first-party API I know that has been designed from the ground up for a modern, high-level language. So, pretty nice.

Don Freeman

Thanks Trent! I'll try these out. I figured it has to be something with my setup, but I can't find it...:-/

Ok...now I just get an exception. I'll try to manually compile the demo (with a new project) to see if that helps. I'd use ming, but I'm now sure how you setup the environment, like the include and lib directories. Any help in that regard? If so, I'll just use ming to make my windows versions.::)

Quote:

Don Freeman said:
That's strange. I've looked at the source and I can't figure how it could print (null) there and the actual filename later. You should debug it.

That is what I thought as well. I actually did do a debug on it before...it gives a couple of threads that return 1 instead of 0, but they have just funny names like ~2acda and such...don't know for sure what thread is dying.::)

Thanks for those helping.8-)

Milan Mimica

RelWithDebInfo is probably not suitable for debugging. Try running cmake with -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug option.

Don Freeman

Thanks...Ok, now this is driving me nuts! I had to copy my directx stuff into my compilers lib and include directories. Ok, so far so good. deleted my allegro directory, started fresh with cmake. Still good to go. Compile everything, no errors. Run the demo, I've got sound...then I realize WTF?!? No video! So I think, hummmm, lets try one of the examples, a simple example. I fire up the ex_bitmap example. No video! WTF?! The ex_membmp works, as do the openGL stuff. Could this just be a video driver issue? I am using NVidia on this box, I'll boot up the lappy and try with my ATI later. The way the programs with directx seem to run, it appears to be a driver issue, and not something with allegro.:-/

These are the examples that do not give video, or are buggy (Just for reference if someone else has the same or similar issues):
ex_bitmap.exe - black screen
ex_bitmap_target.exe - blue screen (not the bsod)
ex_blend.exe - gray screen
ex_d3d.exe - black screen
ex_expose.exe - black screen with (looks like) inlaid gray/silver border
ex_fs_resize.exe - orange/brown screen first, then with switch I get a picture of mysha with a purplish color with black lines running up and down
ex_joystick_events.exe - cream color screen
ex_keyboard_focus.exe - red screen
ex_lockbitmap.exe - black screen
ex_mouse.exe - dies
ex_mouse_events.exe - cream color screen
ex_ttf.exe - white screen
ex_winfull.exe - dies (or at least does nothing)
ex_bitmap_flip.exe - black screen
ex_color.exe - dies
ex_disable_screensaver.exe - black screen
ex_font.exe - black screen
ex_icon.exe - black screen, but icon does change
ex_keyboard_events.exe - white screen
ex_lines.exe - gray screen
ex_lockscreen.exe - black fading to white from top left to lower right
ex_mouse_cursor.exe - gray screen
ex_mouse_focus.exe - black when offscreen with mouse, red when on screen with mouse
ex_noframe.exe - black screen (no border)
ex_prim.exe - black screen
ex_resize.exe - white screen
ex_scale.exe - black screen

Here are the Visual Studio 9 2008 Standard Version binaries and includes for others to play with.::)

Has anyone tried the Windows Server 2003 Standard? That is what I was using this for. I remember I had issues with an older game saying it can't find some directx files...even though dxdiag finds them just fine. I figured it was just the game...it was old. If so, then please let me know of any issues you may have had. Thanks.

Edit:
Ok. It is definitely a driver issue. It works perfectly on my laptop. I think it has something to do with Windows Server 2003 and DirectX. It just doesn't work right...or at least not on my box. I guess I'll have to figure something else out for my other box...:-/

Great job guys!
Thanks8-)

Evert
Quote:

then I realize WTF?!? No video!

Seems to be a D3D vs OpenGL issue.

Quote:

ex_winfull.exe - dies (or at least does nothing)

You need two monitors for that (one will do full screen, the other will show a window).

Quote:

ex_icon.exe - black screen, but icon does change
ex_lockscreen.exe - black fading to white from top left to lower right
ex_mouse_focus.exe - black when offscreen with mouse, red when on screen with mouse

That's what they are supposed to do.

Matthew Leverton

On that topic...

• the examples really need to be organized into sub folders

• the ex_* prefix on all of them is annoying

• some of them are kind of lame... e.g., output to a console even though it is never seen in MSVC

• the demo is huge

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

some of them are kind of lame... e.g., output to a console even though it is never seen in MSVC

Not our fault MSVC is lame :P

Don Freeman

Question:
Has anyone else here had DirectX troubles in Windows Server 2003?

Comments:

Quote:

Not our fault MSVC is lame

Lame or not, I can get a LOT more work done with it than anything on Linux. KDevelop likes to act pretty retarded a lot. There have been times when I had to delete the project files just to get it to do something correctly...and it was NOT my fault. Eclipse takes FOREVER to load, and CodeBlocks has changed way to much for me to use anymore without really investing time in it. I would rather just deal with the issues of Visual Studio...at least I know what most of them are.:P

To Evert:
Yeah, I was more just commenting on the ones jacked up by my drivers on my other box. They indeed work correctly with good drivers.;D

Also, I hate how cmake does not pick up my include and lib environment variables correctly. I have all of the required libs in those variables...the only thing I should have to do is select what version of those libs to use...like truetype and such. I have rarely seen it delete the def files, so that I would have to replace it from a backup. That is annoying. Only happened twice though that I remember.

Plus, if we are using the IDE (Visual Studio and others I would imagine) then why hard code the directories in the program's build options? We would most likely have those directories saved in our IDE's search path anyway. If nothing else, an option would be nice.:-/

Edit:
Fitting that during the Lesbian House Party release, I get post number 69!;D8-)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

Lame or not, I can get a LOT more work done with it than anything on Linux. KDevelop likes to act pretty retarded a lot. There have been times when I had to delete the project files just to get it to do something correctly...and it was NOT my fault. Eclipse takes FOREVER to load, and CodeBlocks has changed way to much for me to use anymore without really investing time in it. I would rather just deal with the issues of Visual Studio...at least I know what most of them are.:P

Of course none of that has to do with it not showing console output anywhere. :P

Peter Wang

The ex_ prefixes stay, so it is completely obvious what is being discussed. I don't want users reporting bugs in "the mouse example" -- which one?

Some of the examples are lame and unobvious what they do.

Don Freeman

Well neither did yours if you want to be technical! You can compile the examples to use the console just like in Linux.:P If the console window disappears before you get to read the message...then that is a problem with Windows, but not a fatal flaw. You could easily add a wait for key event so the user has time to read it before it disappears.8-)

Also, asking again...will there be support for chm help files later???? (Keeps fingers crossed)

Peter Wang

I know nothing about chm files. If you can find some way to produce them from the HTML files we could do that.

SiegeLord
Quote:

Some of the examples are lame and unobvious what they do.

Just a matter of documenting them, I'd imagine.

Don Freeman

I know the 4.2/4.3 versions of Allegro had support for chm files, I guess from the latex format? So, if that is the case...it should be easy to do maybe? I could probably do it by hand, but I've never done any work with the hhc command line tools.

Edit:
Also, we need a getting started section in the docs. Like how to get a basic program up and running with the new API. I know the examples are there...but something like this should be in the docs. It shouldn't really take up THAT much room.::) I've gotten so used to the old API...I have to forget what I knew about Allegro and start over. Are we gonna get an updated grabber utility later? It would be nice to see it work with Masking lib (from the Monday project...aka Miran) and be able to throw down some oggs and pngs into a datafile.8-)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

I know the 4.2/4.3 versions of Allegro had support for chm files, I guess from the latex format?

No, allegro 4 has its own documentation format and converter, it directly supported chm's source format.

SiegeLord

Speaking of the documentation, perhaps we can use something like this to improve the usability of the docs? We'd just need to coax pandoc to produce the function name -> url pairings and then add a bit of code to make that selection actually work.

Peter Wang

Cool! As you know, I was looking for something like that. It's even got a compatible licence.

Pandoc doesn't need to do anything. We can produce function -> URL pairings with a little script. If I do that, could you give me the code to make it do something? (I haven't actually checked the code yet, maybe it's not hard.)

EDIT: this page describes converting DocBook to CHM. Pandoc can generate DocBook so that could be a way to go. There seems to be some tools around to convert other formats to CHM, so other intermediate formats may also be viable: OpenDocument, RTF, Texinfo.

GullRaDriel

I am bored with the "Warning: .drectve `/DEFAULTLIB:"uuid.lib" /DEFAULTLIB:"uuid.lib" ' unrecognized" message between each target.

Also, no example is currently working there. I am checking my memory because I feel like my ddr is going mad :-/

Elias
Quote:

I am bored with the "Warning: .drectve `/DEFAULTLIB:"uuid.lib" /DEFAULTLIB:"uuid.lib" ' unrecognized" message between each target.

Get better DirectX libraries for Mingw. The ones from Trent's site are a bit broken. Where to get any others I wouldn't know though :P

Neil Walker
Don said:

Here are the Visual Studio 9 2008 Standard Version binaries and includes for others to play with

Can you include some of the examples then I'll see whether the fault happens on mine?

Also, as a side issue your attachment name is too large so it truncates the name, including the .zip extension.

Trent Gamblin

If you're getting those defaultlib warnings, you're compiling static with MinGW. If you're compiling static with MinGW, it means you must have gcc version 4.2.1 or greater or none of the examples will work.

Elias
Quote:

Cool! As you know, I was looking for something like that. It's even got a compatible licence.

Pandoc doesn't need to do anything. We can produce function -> URL pairings with a little script. If I do that, could you give me the code to make it do something? (I haven't actually checked the code yet, maybe it's not hard.)

It seems to work, just was playing with a test site. I'll make a Python script to generate pairings from html_refs and try to wire into the cmake build.

SiegeLord
Quote:

If I do that, could you give me the code to make it do something?

I don't know all that much javascript, I mostly just wanted to highlight that site for someone who knew more... but I can see if I can learn enough javascript to do something with that today.

EDIT: Nevermind, Elias already put it in. Check it out at http://docs.liballeg.org.

Peter Wang

Excellent!

I noticed a few issues:

- if you type "color", the popup is a little bit too narrow, so that the scrollbar overlaps with the text. Actually the popup keeps changing width, which is bit annoying.

- if the search box is near bottom of the page, the popup will be cut off. Can we do something about that?

- keyboard repeats don't work. Again, I don't know if this is something that can be fixed.

- maybe get rid of the underlines, which look ugly with underscores.

Elias

I guess all we can do is change the "Public"and "Styles" parameters at the top here, or we find someone who understands the Javascript and modifies it:

https://alleg.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/alleg/allegro/branches/4.9/docs/src/autosuggest.js

kenmasters1976

I need some help. I'm trying to build 4.9.8, but it stops at this point:

Quote:

[ 37%] Building C object CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/src/win/wxthread.c.obj
[ 38%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/src/win/d3d_bmp.cpp.obj
[ 39%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/src/win/d3d_disp.cpp.obj
C:\allegro\allegro-4.9.8\src\win\d3d_disp.cpp: In function `bool _al_d3d_init_disp
lay()':
C:\allegro\allegro-4.9.8\src\win\d3d_disp.cpp:563: error: `D3D9b_SDK_VERSION' was
not declared in this scope
C:\allegro\allegro-4.9.8\src\win\d3d_disp.cpp:563: warning: unused variable 'D3D9b
_SDK_VERSION'
mingw32-make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/src/win/d3d_disp.cpp.obj] Error 1
mingw32-make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/all] Error 2
mingw32-make: *** [all] Error 2

I know you have answered a lot of questions about the build process before, so I'm sorry for this.

Matthew Leverton
GullRaDriel
Elias said:

Get better DirectX libraries for Mingw. The ones from Trent's site are a bit broken. Where to get any others I wouldn't know though :P

Thanks, I didn't it came from that (didn't search too)

Trent said:

If you're getting those defaultlib warnings, you're compiling static with MinGW. If you're compiling static with MinGW, it means you must have gcc version 4.2.1 or greater or none of the examples will work.

Ok, as I am now sure of the quality of my memory (a full night benchmark has given no negative result) I will upgrade my gcc and give it a new try. I was wanting to try STATIC, but I didn't remember to check my gcc version.

I didn't have the problem before cause I was only trying the dynamic library version.

Edit:
Some links that some of you can like:
Gcc for Windows (gcw) is yet another attempt to port gcc to Win32 platform. The major difference from MinGw and Cygwin is maximum possible acceptance of Microsoft Visual C++ source code and intended binary compatibility with Microsoft Visual C++.

MinGW: A native Windows port of the GNU Compiler Collection (GCC), with freely distributable import libraries and header files for building native Windows applications; includes extensions to the MSVC runtime to support C99 functionality.

The TDM-GCC builds are unofficial replacements for the official MinGW releases of GCC binaries. TDM-GCC was previously recommended for experimentation purposes only, but constant use in day-to-day development and a total download count of over 40,000 have proven the TDM-GCC releases to be at least as usable as the most recent official MinGW GCC release.

I am currently trying the TDM's build.

Don Freeman

Quick question...I know there is a way to create a window without a border, but can we create a window that is not just a square...like a circle or other shape, using the alpha channel or "magic pink" color for transparency? And if so, does the OS only give the app notifications over these "visible" portions? It would be an awesome thing to have.8-)

Edit:
Also, here is my new logo for this version:
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/597761
;D

Elias
Quote:

Quick question...I know there is a way to create a window without a border, but can we create a window that is not just a square...like a circle or other shape, using the alpha channel or "magic pink" color for transparency? And if so, does the OS only give the app notifications over these "visible" portions? It would be an awesome thing to have.

Patches are welcome. I definitely would like to see support for having the alpha-channel of the framebuffer work - likely it just needs a flag somewhere. I don't have compositing enabled in my X11, so I can't test it, but once I upgrade X11 I'll add this. About system events, we could have a function to ignore a mouse click and ask the window manager to pass it on, shouldn't be hard.

kenmasters1976

Thanks Matthew, I'm downloading it now.

Don Freeman

Ok...I've updated the manual to reflect this current release.::)

Thanks for that link Matthew.

Quote:

Patches are welcome. I definitely would like to see support for having the alpha-channel of the framebuffer work - likely it just needs a flag somewhere. I don't have compositing enabled in my X11, so I can't test it, but once I upgrade X11 I'll add this. About system events, we could have a function to ignore a mouse click and ask the window manager to pass it on, shouldn't be hard.

I'll take a look to see how complicated that will actually be later. I just had to spend half my day yesterday getting my box back together for development. Stupid Windows Server 2003 somehow just decided to say fuck my DirectX stuff. Oh well...I finally got Windows Server 2008 working on this box. Yeah!:D I can't wait to experiment with that compiz stuff in Linux...that looks fucking sweet!:o

Here is an updated package with all of the required stuff for proper Visual Studio 9 2008 development of Allegro 4.9.8 projects. I've tested this all and everything works just fine. There is a dll folder in that archive, just put those in windows/system32 or wherever you are running said project and everything will be good to go. Enjoy.8-)

kenmasters1976

I was having this error while building:

Quote:

[ 37%] Building C object CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/src/win/wxthread.c.obj
[ 38%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/src/win/d3d_bmp.cpp.obj
[ 39%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/src/win/d3d_disp.cpp.obj
C:\allegro\allegro-4.9.8\src\win\d3d_disp.cpp: In function `bool _al_d3d_init_disp
lay()':
C:\allegro\allegro-4.9.8\src\win\d3d_disp.cpp:563: error: `D3D9b_SDK_VERSION' was
not declared in this scope
C:\allegro\allegro-4.9.8\src\win\d3d_disp.cpp:563: warning: unused variable 'D3D9b
_SDK_VERSION'
mingw32-make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/src/win/d3d_disp.cpp.obj] Error 1
mingw32-make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/allegro.dir/all] Error 2
mingw32-make: *** [all] Error 2

So, while waiting for the dx9mgw.zip download provided by Matthew Leverton to finish, I had this idea and went and replaced D3D9b_SDK_VERSION with D3D_SDK_VERSION (which is defined in the default DirectX headers of MinGW), and now everything builds succesfully (with the exception of the ex_d3d.cpp example).

What nasty side affects can arise from building it this way?. I'm only building the basic lib (no addons right now). Can it affect when building the addons?.

Also, is it normal that the examples doesn't recover the focus when you click inside the window?. Instead, I have to click on the title bar.

Don Freeman
Quote:

Also, is it normal that the examples doesn't recover the focus when you click inside the window?. Instead, I have to click on the title bar.

I don't know if that is intended or not...but it happens for me as well (Windows Server 2008 (Vista)).

Quote:

So, while waiting for the dx9mgw.zip download provided by Matthew Leverton to finish, I had this idea and went and replaced D3D9b_SDK_VERSION with D3D_SDK_VERSION (which is defined in the default DirectX headers of MinGW), and now everything builds succesfully (with the exception of the ex_d3d.cpp example).

What nasty side affects can arise from building it this way?. I'm only building the basic lib (no addons right now). Can it affect when building the addons?.

I'm not sure what else was changed in the dx9mgw.zip, but if you are having errors still without trying it...I would rebuild using the zip specified.

Neil said:

Can you include some of the examples then I'll see whether the fault happens on mine?
Also, as a side issue your attachment name is too large so it truncates the name, including the .zip extension.

Sorry, I didn't see your post.:o I have no issues with the attachment name in firefox. Try this instead. Also, I've attached the examples here.

Trezker

I see wmouse.c got a fix for al_set_mouse_xy, but when will you fix it in xmousenu.c?
I kinda need it now. :-/

Evert
Quote:

when will you fix it in xmousenu.c?
I kinda need it now.

"We accept patches."
;)

SiegeLord

At the very least, we also accept bug reports in SF, so at least we don't forget about this and fix it ourselves when we get the chance to.

Trezker

No worries, I fixed it myself.
First time I fix something in the allegro source. ;D
It's not a patch, but since I only changed the one function you can just paste over the old version.

Or you can give me svn commit access, username Trezker on sourceforge.

1/* xmouse_set_mouse_xy:
2 * Set the mouse position. Return true if successful.
3 */
4static bool xmouse_set_mouse_xy(int x, int y)
5{
6 //FIXME
7 //This function may need some more asserts.
8 ASSERT(xmouse_installed);
10 ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_XGLX *system = (void *)al_system_driver();
11 Display *display = system->x11display;
13 int window_width = al_get_display_width();
14 int window_height = al_get_display_height();
15 if ((x < 0) || (y < 0) || (x >= window_width) || (y >= window_height))
16 return false;
18 int window_x = 0;
19 int window_y = 0;
20 al_get_window_position(al_get_current_display(), &window_x, &window_y);
22 _al_event_source_lock(&the_mouse.parent.es);
23 {
24 XWarpPointer(display, None, None, 0, 0,
25 0, 0, x-the_mouse.state.x, y-the_mouse.state.y);
26 the_mouse.state.x = x;
27 the_mouse.state.y = y;
28 }
29 _al_event_source_unlock(&the_mouse.parent.es);
30 return true;
31}

Trent Gamblin

You forgot to emit an event.

Trezker

X takes care of that for me.

If you do use this function, however, it generates events just as if the user had instantaneously moved the pointer from one position to another.

Here's my test code. If I remove that if, it gets really jerky.

1if(ALLEGRO_EVENT_MOUSE_AXES == event.type)
3{
5 if(event.mouse.x != width/2 || event.mouse.y != height/2)
7 {
9 camera->Set_rotation(camera->Get_rotation()+Vector3(0, event.mouse.dx, 0));
11 al_set_mouse_xy(width/2, height/2);
13 }
15}

Thomas Fjellstrom

A diff would be appreciated in the future, even when just posting here. It makes it a lot easier to tell whats been changed.

if you have a regular svn checkout, svn can give you a valid diff. svn diff should be enough to give a diff of any changes.

Trezker

Alright, I've tinkered a bit more. I noticed some flaws.
The mouse was jerking a little bit, so I added the event trent wanted.
I think it helps a bit, but it's still jerking a bit when I move the mouse slow.

Anyway, this time I attach a diff.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I think its jerking because you're injecting an event AND X is injecting an event. I really don't think thats the way to go about doing things. Are you sure you need to inject an event into allegro's queue? If all else fails, maybe theres a way to tell X to move the cursor without injecting its own event? That way you can and all should be well.

Trezker

Well, I think it jerked more when I didn't inject the event.
But I'm not sure, the difference is not quite clear.

It could also have something to do with my computer. It's jerking the mouse all the time, even when I'm not running allegro. Maybe I should reboot.

Elias

Do you have an example which shows the jerking? A short example program demonstrating al_set_mouse_xy would be quite useful (and maybe would help find the cause of the problem)...

[Edit:] Btw., I'm really amazed how well the "we accept patches" seems to work these days :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

Btw., I'm really amazed how well the "we accept patches" seems to work these days :)

It only works for certain kinds of people in a certain mood, with certain small problems ;)

Quote:

It's jerking the mouse all the time, even when I'm not running allegro. Maybe I should reboot.

I get that if flash, firefox, or konqueror are somehow flooding X with commands. Even if it looks like theres very little CPU use, sometimes it causes jerky mouse input and especially jerky window resizing and whatnot. Try closing some apps.

Don Freeman

Why do programs using the new API not get the focus unless their title bars are clicked (or of course brought into focus with alt-tab)?:o Is this an issue only under Windows? I have not tried under Linux yet.

Another issue with the mouse...when changing the cursor, it does not take effect unless the cursor leaves the window and then returns.:o WTF? Is this a Windows only issue? Any workaround for that????

I've also noticed that pressing the caps lock key in the keyboard example crashes under the 4.9.9 version...don't know what has changed. Seems something with the keyboard code has changed, because other programs compiled with it crash when different keys are pressed.:-/

Some annoyances: the al_draw_arc and al_draw_ellipse (and others I imagine) piss me off to no end! They ask for position variables, but they do not start there, at least not drawing...I want to be able to use: al_draw_arc(10,10,0,3.14,c) and get an arc starting AT 10,10 (the drawing...not the center point). I am trying to use it for drawing rounded rectangles, but it is hard...because I have to account for the center point, the radius, etc. and sometimes they seem off by one pixel because of rounding errors.:-/

Any since we are on that subject, why not a rounded rect function? I am willing to add one if you would like.::) I am debating on how to handle the 'roundness' of the corners though. Any suggestions on that? I would ultimately like to have the function parameter such as:

al_draw_rounded_rect(float sx, float sy, float w, float h, ALLEGRO_COLOR c, float roundness, int thickness = 0 );

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

Any since we are on that subject, why not a rounded rect function?

Check the primitives addon, if its not there, ask SiegeLord about it, its his baby.

I actually have an arc function that draws unfilled arcs using Allegro or OpenGL that takes a starting and ending position, and fills in the gaps. At least I did, I may not have it anymore :o

Evert
Quote:

Why do programs using the new API not get the focus unless their title bars are clicked (or of course brought into focus with alt-tab)?

We didn't think people would want their windows focussed, and if they did, they'd give them focus themselves.
It made sense at the time.

Quote:

Is this an issue only under Windows? I have not tried under Linux yet.

Probably, but this is the first I've heard of it. There was a problem with the OS X port that required a click in the window after it was resized before it would take keyboard input again, that's the only thing I've seen that comes close to what you describe (but that was due to a buggy implementation of window resizing and has been fixed).

Quote:

Another issue with the mouse...when changing the cursor, it does not take effect unless the cursor leaves the window and then returns.:o WTF? Is this a Windows only issue?

Again, possibly. There's a quirk in Windows where the cursor doesn't update unless you move the mouse (which usually results in warping the mouse to its present location), but this doesn't sound like the same problem.

Quote:

Any workaround for that????

A fix would be better, I think.

Quote:

Any since we are on that subject, why not a rounded rect function? I am willing to add one if you would like.

Congratulations. You just volunteered to do it.
;)

Quote:

I am debating on how to handle the 'roundness' of the corner

Probably the length of the circle arc in radians: pi/2 for a quarter circle, 0 for a single pixel (a corner that isn't rounded). You'll need to calculate the centre and radius of the circle and the intersection point between the circle and the rectangle.

SiegeLord
Quote:

Some annoyances: the al_draw_arc and al_draw_ellipse (and others I imagine) <censored> me off to no end! They ask for position variables, but they do not start there, at least not drawing...I want to be able to use: al_draw_arc(10,10,0,3.14,c) and get an arc starting AT 10,10 (the drawing...not the center point). I am trying to use it for drawing rounded rectangles, but it is hard...because I have to account for the center point, the radius, etc.

So I change it, and then people start complaining that the position variables do not refer to the center of the arc. Either way you do it, it's going to annoy half of the people using that function.

Quote:

Any since we are on that subject, why not a rounded rect function?

No harm in adding one, I guess. Although it takes like 6 lines to do it in the current API.

EDIT: Well, a little bit more... heh. This motivates me to alter how the al_calculate_* functions work.

Don Freeman

It's not in the 4.9.8/4.9.9 versions. I don't care to make it.:D Any suggestions on the roundness aspect? I think it should be somewhere between a normal rect and could degrade down to an ellipse.::) How do I make the allegro.def file needed to compile the 4.9.9 version as a dll? I can use dumpbin to get all of the mangled function names, but...have you ever tried to manually edit the output of that?!:o I started, but gave up after the first 1500 lines.:-/ I am just going to use 4.9.8 until that little issue gets straighten out.::)

Edit:
SiegeLord: Yeah...I see what you mean. I am just being a whinny ass today.;D Thanks for all of your hard work everyone!:D

SiegeLord

Roundness will be the radius of the circle bevel. This is how it's always done.

Don Freeman

So basically, just attach four arcs to four lines...and voila, a rounded rect is born.8-) Of course, one would have to take the line thickness into account.

SiegeLord

Yeah, more or less. A little bit more work for the filled rounded rectangle, but the idea is the same.

Don Freeman

I'll see what I can come up with then. I'll post it here later and someone could possibly add it to the primitives later if they so desire.8-)

Trezker

I made a minimal test program for al_set_mouse_xy and tested with and without sending my own event.

With my event, I get the jump to the target coordinates, immediately followed by an event with dx = 0, dy = 0. This is probably because I do the_mouse.state.x = x; the_mouse.state.y = y; So the event from X doesn't change the position.

Without my event, there's only the 0, 0 event.

If I remove the_mouse.state.x = x; the_mouse.state.y = y; I get the correct event from X. But my "complex" program gets totally chaotic, the cursor jumps away from the center of the screen instead of to he center as it should.
On a closer inspection it appears to be making a feedback loop and it doesn't help to ignore events where the mouse position equals the set position.

1if(ALLEGRO_EVENT_MOUSE_AXES == event.type)
3{
5 printf("x: %i y: %i dx: %i dy %i\n", event.mouse.x, event.mouse.y, event.mouse.dx, event.mouse.dy);
7 if(event.mouse.x != width/2 || event.mouse.y != height/2)
9 {
11 camera->Set_rotation(camera->Get_rotation()+Vector3(event.mouse.dy, event.mouse.dx, 0));
13 al_set_mouse_xy(width/2, height/2);
15 }
17}

Here's my small test program.

1#include <allegro5/allegro5.h>
2#include <stdio.h>
4int width = 640;
5int height = 480;
7int main()
8{
9 al_init();
10 al_install_mouse();
12 ALLEGRO_DISPLAY *display;
13 al_set_new_display_flags(ALLEGRO_WINDOWED);
14 display = al_create_display(width, height);
16 ALLEGRO_EVENT_QUEUE *event_queue = al_create_event_queue();
17 al_register_event_source(event_queue, (ALLEGRO_EVENT_SOURCE *)display);
18 al_register_event_source(event_queue, (ALLEGRO_EVENT_SOURCE *)al_get_mouse());
19 while(1)
20 {
21 ALLEGRO_EVENT event;
22 if (al_get_next_event(event_queue, &event))
23 {
24 if (ALLEGRO_EVENT_DISPLAY_CLOSE == event.type)
25 {
26 break;
27 }
28 if(ALLEGRO_EVENT_MOUSE_AXES == event.type)
29 {
30 printf("x: %i y: %i dx: %i dy %i\n", event.mouse.x, event.mouse.y, event.mouse.dx, event.mouse.dy);
31 }
32 if(ALLEGRO_EVENT_MOUSE_BUTTON_UP == event.type)
33 {
34 al_set_mouse_xy(width/2, height/2);
35 }
36 }
38 al_rest(0.001);
39 }
41 al_destroy_event_queue(event_queue);
42 al_destroy_display(display);
44 return 0;
45}

Don Freeman

Ok, as promised. Here is the function I came up with (the al_draw_arc does NOT seem to take neg values correctly for the second angle like it says in the docs::)): You can simple skip the thickness value, as it will default to 0 (hairline).

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Prototype:
void al_draw_rounded_rect( float x, float y, float w, float h, float roundness,
                           ALLEGRO_COLOR c,
         int thickness = 0 );

1///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
2// Implementation:
3void al_draw_rounded_rect( float x, float y, float w, float h, float r,
4 ALLEGRO_COLOR c, int t )
5{
6 ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
7 al_draw_line_ex(x+r,y,(x+w)-r,y,c,t); // top
8 al_draw_line_ex(x+r,(y+h),(x+w)-r,(y+h),c,t); // bottom
9 al_draw_line_ex(x,y+r,x,(y+h)-r,c,t); // left
10 al_draw_line_ex((x+w),y+r,(x+w),(y+h)-r,c,t); // right
11 ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
12 al_draw_arc(x+r,y+r,r,AL_PI,AL_PI/2,c,t); // top left
13 al_draw_arc((x+w)-r,y+r,r,(3*AL_PI)/2,AL_PI/2,c,t); // top right
14 al_draw_arc((x+w)-r,(y+h)-r,r,0,AL_PI/2,c,t); // lower right
15 al_draw_arc(x+r,(y+h)-r,r,AL_PI/2,AL_PI/2,c,t); // lower left
16 ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
17}
18///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

8-)
This could use some optimization, but meh...it works.:P

SiegeLord
Quote:

(the al_draw_arc does NOT seem to take neg values correctly for the second angle like it says in the docs::))

Docs are for the SVN version where that bug was fixed ;). Thanks though... will put it in someday soon.

Don Freeman

Still have to work out a filled rounded rect...maybe using circles instead of arcs. That should work.8-)

Peter Wang
Quote:

On a closer inspection it appears to be making a feedback loop and it doesn't help to ignore events where the mouse position equals the set position.

I didn't check your patch, but check how A4 does it. After warping we have to ignore some events.

BTW, how are you accounting for multiple windows? Again, I didn't check the patch. I assume it's relative to the current display.

ImLeftFooted

Whats the 3D api going to look like? It would be nice to have some cool 3D fluff in the 2D api. Like maybe a simple z setting during blit, or being able to tilt/wobble the screen.

Peter Wang

OpenGL.

ImLeftFooted

Some nice candy would be beneficial in primarily two ways: The games made would actually use them and it would be great for the PR of Allegro itself.

Thomas Fjellstrom

It wouldn't be out of place in an addon. We accept patches ;)

Don Freeman

Here is the al_draw_filled_rounded_rect function:

void al_draw_filled_rounded_rect( float x, float y, float w, float h, float r,
                                  ALLEGRO_COLOR c, int t )
{
  ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
  al_draw_filled_rectangle(x+r,y,(x+w)-r,(y+h),c);
  al_draw_filled_rectangle(x,y+r,(x+w),(y+h)-r,c);
  al_draw_filled_circle(x+r,y+r,r,c);                 // top left
  al_draw_filled_circle((x+w)-r,y+r,r,c);             // top right
  al_draw_filled_circle(x+r,(y+h)-r,r,c);             // bottom left
  al_draw_filled_circle((x+w)-r,(y+h)-r,r,c);         // bottom right
  ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
}

Again, needs to be optimized like the unfilled version, but it works.8-)

Edit:
Is there no easy way to set the text color besides using the blender? If not, is this not slow????

Elias
Quote:

Is there no easy way to set the text color besides using the blender?

Just make a function like this:

void text_color(float r, float g, float b) {
    al_set_blender(ALLEGRO_ALPHA, ALLEGRO_INVERSE_ALPHA,
        al_map_rgb_f(r, g, b));
}

And then in the rest of your code do this:

text_color(1, 0, 0);
al_font_textprintf(font, x, y, "This is red.");
text_color(0, 1, 0);
al_font_textprintf(font, x, y, "This is green.");

Might be worth adding such a function to the font addon actually - but I'm not sure.

Quote:

If not, is this not slow????

How so? I'd say it's a much faster method than the real-time pixel-by-pixel recoloring used in A4...

Don Freeman

You have to reset the blender though...I found that out after setting the font color that way, my images got 'colorized' as well.:-/

SiegeLord
Quote:

it works.

That is, until you happen to turn on blending :P. Well, no worries, I'll implement it later on.

Quote:

Whats the 3D api going to look like?

It already exists in an unimplemented state, so, basically like it looks like now :P

Or did you not notice that al_set_vbuff_pos takes x, y and z? ;)

Don Freeman

Yeah...I noticed that with the filled version. I guess it is because of the overlap of the rectangles on the circles. I could probably fix it...but if you will implement it later on, I'll just wait.::) If you make a version, do you plan to keep the same layout and drawing style (The rounded rect will NOT exceed a normal rect)? That would be awesome if so, this way I could just switch my code later to use yours without having to modify that layout of all of my drawings and such.:D

SiegeLord
Quote:

If you make a version, do you plan to keep the same layout and drawing style (The rounded rect will NOT exceed a normal rect)?

I was thinking that if the bevel radius is 0, then the output is identical to al_draw_{filled_}rectangle, so I guess, yes I am planning on that.

Trent Gamblin

The titlebar thing is a bug, I swear it worked with 4.9.8 (haven't checked again) but even though there were no changes to the windows window handling code, you can't click on the client area to focus a window. I've looked at it a bit but haven't found the problem.

Don Freeman

I was thinking of using the al_calculate_arc and using a ALLEGRO_VBUFFER to draw the shape with al_draw_prim...maybe even be able to pass in a texture to it as well, since al_draw_prim allows a texture...but hey, whatever works for you.::)

Is there any built in anti-aliasing functions for the primitives? That would be awesome as well!:D

Trent: No, it is broken in the 4.9.8 version. That is what I am using right now. I can't get a dynamic version of 4.9.9 to compile for visual studio yet...

SiegeLord
Quote:

I was thinking of using the al_calculate_arc and using a ALLEGRO_VBUFFER to draw the shape with al_draw_prim...

That's probably how it'll be done.

Quote:

maybe even be able to pass in a texture to it as well, since al_draw_prim allows a texture...but hey, whatever works for you.::)

No high level primitive routines have texture support for one simple reason, there is no unique way to do it. Do you want a rotated/scaled texture or whatnot? For circles, do you want a radial texture mapping, or a rectangular one? Etc etc. I just figured that if you want textures, you go into the source, copy the implementation, and set the uv coordinates to your liking yourself.

Quote:

Is there any built in anti-aliasing functions for the primitives? That would be awesome as well!

There is multi-sampling support in A4.9.8 that supposedly antialiases the entire screen. So far it looked like crud to me, but that's probably because my card is bad.

Don Freeman

Do you know the name of it, or is it on by default? I do not see it in the docs.:-/

SiegeLord

The program that uses it is called ex_multisample. Maybe I am mistaken and it was added after 4.9.8...

Trezker

I was thinking about looking into the place where mouse axes events are processed, it seems likely that's where something gets fucked up.

As for multiple displays, I'm not really thinking about that yet. I'm just using current display. With the API being as it is now, I think you can only support jumping within one display. Though I'm not sure. I'll have a look at it. I think people might want to be able to jump between displays, even if it's a stretch I'll bet in the future some guy will be wondering about it.

But for the time being, I think you could use the patch I attached back there. At least you can move the mouse at all, even if it's buggy and might not work on multiple displays.

Thomas Fjellstrom

At some point someone WILL make a game that can span monitors. Having the mouse move between displays is rather important, regardless of where the actual allegro Display is placed. Hopefully the underlying window manager will do most of the work.

Evert
Quote:

As for multiple displays, I'm not really thinking about that yet. I'm just using current display. With the API being as it is now, I think you can only support jumping within one display. Though I'm not sure. I'll have a look at it. I think people might want to be able to jump between displays, even if it's a stretch I'll bet in the future some guy will be wondering about it.

Actually, I think it makes sense if x and y in al_set_mouse_xy() refer to the current display. I don't think there's any other sane way for the function to behave, so supporting multiple displays shouldn't be hard at all if that function works correctly.
Or do I misunderstand what you mean by "As for multiple displays, I'm not really thinking about that yet. I'm just using current display."?

Trezker

Well, the x warp function takes a parameter of a type called window, but the docs don't link to this mysterious type and I don't feel like looking for it.
That's why I'm using the relative position warp, and that will not work with jumping between displays. Or maybe it can be done, but I would still need to figure out where to get some additional variables...

The code in allegro 4.2 that skips some events was really crazy. It made no sense to me. But I'm trying to skip some events after a warp now to see if I can make that work. So far it's not looking good...

On another note, I'd like to know how to skip building the examples when I build allegro.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

That's why I'm using the relative position warp, and that will not work with jumping between displays.

In windowed mode I don't think we can even try to say that windows pretend to be beside each other... any XWarp wouldn't move the cursor directly to the next window unless it was directly beside it.

That is, the only time moving the mouse should go from one display to another is if the displays are right next to each other. Anything else would be complicated to implement

Trezker

I fixed it, the jerky thing and event skipping.

Now, it skips up to one motion event after warp.
I also added an if to avoid sending 0,0 delta events which also occur after a warp.

The multi display issue is still open. I only have one display sitting on my desk so I don't feel like taking care of that feature.

So, it's all smooth now. The attached diff is made against the same revision as the other one.

EDIT: Hmm, I got two attachments, I thought I deleted the first one...
Well the bigger one is the right one. It has the if that skips the 0,0 delta event.

count
Quote:

The titlebar thing is a bug, I swear it worked with 4.9.8 (haven't checked again) but even though there were no changes to the windows window handling code, you can't click on the client area to focus a window. I've looked at it a bit but haven't found the problem.

I currently use 4.9.8 and it doesn't work correctly here too.
When I start a allegro window I can only give it focus by clicking on the title.

Once I alt tabbed AWAY from the allegro window I can give focus by clicking inside the window. Regardless how it looses the focus. alt tabing away once fixes the problem for the lifespan of the window.

Maybe this helps to track down the bug.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I am confused as to how that can happen at all. The WM shouldn't be affected by Allegro doing anything.. Any window should get focus when you click on the title bar (not nesesarily the client area, that could be ignored). Though I suppose if our win32 event handling handles NC (non client) area clicks, and handles that case wrong, it might do it, but why the hell would we handle NC area events at all?

count
Quote:

Any window should get focus when you click on the title bar

Did you misunderstand my post or did anyone else say that clikcing on the title doesn't work? ???

For me clikcing on the title always works.
But clicking inside the window only gives focus after I alt tabbed away from the allegro window.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

Did you misunderstand my post or did anyone else say that clikcing on the title doesn't work? ???

I'm not sure now. :( I thought someone did. No it seems I'm just not reading properly ::) nm.

Evert

Are these problems with Allegro windows showing up specifically in one version of Windows? Or does it show up in all of them?

Trent Gamblin

It must have something to do with the code that was added to detect mouse enter/leave events. I'll try to look at it today.

[edit]
It should be fixed in SVN now.

Elias
Quote:

I fixed it, the jerky thing and event skipping.

Now, it skips up to one motion event after warp.
I also added an if to avoid sending 0,0 delta events which also occur after a warp.

The multi display issue is still open. I only have one display sitting on my desk so I don't feel like taking care of that feature.

So, it's all smooth now. The attached diff is made against the same revision as the other one.

Can you try the attached patch? It adds a modified version of your patch as well as your example to current SVN. Just recompile then run ex_mouse_warp to test.

I removed all the mouse skipping stuff as it makes no difference here - I assume it will have to be added back. However, we should describe in more detail how exactly it behaves "weird" without the skipping, and maybe we can figure out which X11 versions show that behavior and only do the skipping for those.

Trezker

Your patch works actually. I'm not getting any jerking.

Elias

Ah, very nice. Committed it to SVN, thanks a lot.

Don Freeman

I get random crashes when using:

ALLEGRO_MOUSE_STATE msestate;
al_get_mouse_state(&msestate);

The program dies, and then I debug and it breaks on al_get_mouse_state, saying that msestate is invalid. I've looked at the examples and I am just doing the same thing as they are. I don't get it.??? It doesn't happen every time, and that is what is frustrating. I think that something in the mouse code is screwy...but I'm not sure. I am using Windows Server 2008 (Vista) if that helps anyone. I can run it a few times before I get the crash...sometimes it just crashes right away. Actually, the ex_mouse example does the same thing. Maybe there is something wrong with the mouse driver code on windows?!:o

I've attached the full project (code, data, and a Windows executable). This is just a learning exercise for the new API before I use it to work on my WarLand project.8-)

Edit: (This is under the 4.9.8 API)

Edit 2: I think I've fixed the issue. Here is the other post. Maybe someone could fix this in the source somewhere?!:D
Spoke to soon.:'(

Trent Gamblin

I'm experiencing problems with the mouse (seemingly) in ex_expose. It is failing assertions that mouse_directx_installed != 0, even though the mouse has been installed. Kind of seems like a memory bug.

Don Freeman

With the changes made by Milan Mimica here, my mouse problems (that I've noticed anyway) are gone...that AND it fixes the issue where windows didn't get the focus unless their title bars where clicked.:D

Milan Mimica
Quote:

AND it fixes the issue where windows didn't get the focus unless their title bars where clicked.

Nah, Trent fixed that.

Trezker

set_mouse_xy is borked.
I just did a new fresh checkout from svn and the big jumpy behaviour was back.

I attach a diff of ex_warp_mouse.
When I hold the right mouse button and move around at moderate speeds the pointer jumps away hundreds of pixels.

EDIT:
I added a check that compares the next event from x with the event that should come.
X does send a motion event right after the warp. But it doesn't match.

EDIT2:
However, when I warp on click I do get an event right away with correct values.
Also, the warp on move is correct sometimes. But when it's wrong I can't figure out where those values could come from.

Elias

Well, it makes sense - we were using XWarpPointer in relative mode. Assume the mouse is at x=200 and you want to move it to x=100 on each movement event. Now the user twice moves it to the right for one pixel. The event queue will contain the two events:

mouse event(x=201,dx=1), mouse event(x=202,dx=1)

In response to those two events, ex_warp_mouse sends these commands to the X11 server:

XWarpPointer(-101), XWarpPointer(-102)

So because the user moved the mouse two pixel to the right, we asked X11 to move the pointer 203 pixel to the left. Of course instead of getting to x=100 as intended, we were overshooting that and moved out of the window :P

The attached patch fixes it here.

Trezker

Yeah, it's working.

Elias
Quote:

Yeah, it's working.

Actually, depending on what you want to use this for, it's still not perfect. If you look at the mouse positions relative to (width/2, height/2), they won't always correspond to the user movement of the mouse. If you do something like make a game with infinite mouse movement but call al_set_mouse_xy(width/2, height/2), it will again have jerky movement. I proposed a solution for it on the mailing list.

Trezker

Heh, so now we're discussing this in two places :-X

I think the public could voice their opinion in the matter.

The current solution in the mailing list is a special event when the mouse is set with a warp. So you get ALLEGRO_EVENT_MOUSE_AXES and ALLEGRO_EVENT_MOUSE_WARPED.

I don't think I like this. I'd rather see the ALLEGRO_EVENT_MOUSE_AXES event have a flag event.mouse.warped you can check.

Evert
Quote:

Heh, so now we're discussing this in two places

Yes, so don't cross-post.

Anyway, I'll just quote the reply I sent in the mailing list:

Quote:

> I think that when you use the function you should get a mouse axes
> event just like you had moved the mouse there.

Why?
What's the advantage of that?

> In my program I just ignore that event by checking if the event I got
> is pointing to the coordinates I set.

You can do that too by just ignoring the ALLEGRO_EVENT_MOUSE_WARPED event. No special code or checks needed in your code.
Think of it this way: you're adding extra code to work around a problem in the library. The better solution is to fix the library (especially now that we can).

> People may want to use that mouse axes event, I think it's unnecesary
> to do anything special.

You don't have to do anything special. Just respond to ALLEGRO_EVENT_MOUSE_WARPED in the same way as you would respond to an AXES event, as in the example snippet I posted.

> Possibly you may add a flag in the event.

As I said, hacky.
;)

There is no functional difference to checking a flag, except that the code is cleaner because we don't need to hack in a flag to indicate special behavior. Another way to think of this is that an event that needs a flag to indicate that it's different from other events of the same name should be a different event.

Trezker

I wasn't the one moving this discussion over to the mailing list. You guys are the ones cross posting. ;)

So, different event it is.

Michael Faerber

Does the demo in SVN work for anybody currently? At least here it seems that it is failing due to sound problems:

The almighty terminal said:

michi@michi-desktop:~/4.9/build/demo$ ./demo
Using ALSA driver
Keyboard driver installed.
Assert failed at line 320 of /home/michi/4.9/addons/kcm_audio/kcm_voice.c
Aborted

I boiled the problem down to line 144 in Misc.cpp: It seems that calling

voice = al_create_voice(44100, ALLEGRO_AUDIO_DEPTH_INT16, ALLEGRO_CHANNEL_CONF_2);

fails, because voice is NULL afterwards.
Is this a known problem, or just a configuration mistake of mine?

Matthew Leverton

What is al_install_audio(ALLEGRO_AUDIO_DRIVER_AUTODETECT) returning?

SiegeLord

You need to force a different sound driver via allegro.cfg (see this file in the 4.9 root folder for the options and format). The 'autodetection' of audio driver is at fault here, I think. It crashes similarly to me, but as soon as I force it to something other than the default (I don't remember the details) it works fine.

Don Freeman
Quote:

void al_calculate_arc(ALLEGRO_VBUFFER* vbuff, float cx, float cy,
float rx, float ry, float start_theta, float delta_theta, float thickness,
int start, int num_points)

How do you calculate how many points you will need for al_calculate_arc?

Edit:
I was started to find there is not flood fill?!:o That has GOT to be one of the most basic pieces of a solid primitives addon. I use a lot of the low level drawing stuff to make my own GUI and other graphics. I'm sure I could get away with using al_draw_prim, but a flood fill would be SO much easier...at least for the lazy ones like me.::)

SiegeLord

Look at high_primitives.c, it shows how to estimate the number of points in an arc/circle etc.

Flood fill is a tough one... there is no way that it can be made fast... the hardware 'accelerated' version of it would be unbearably slow. Honestly, I'd say it'd better be placed in an 'image editing' addon which can have that and blur and whatnot in it. Any people have other opinions?

Michael Faerber

Hi!

Matthew, al_install_sound() returns 0 - both for ALSA and OSS.
SiegeLord, thanks for your advice - changing the sound driver to OSS worked. However, seeing that the ALSA driver fails is a bit disturbing.

By the way, great demo! Who made it?

Trent Gamblin
Quote:

By the way, great demo! Who made it?

That would be me. The space ship (I think) was drawn by Micah Crow (who is awol) and the music I got from some royalty free music site.

Elias

It would be nice if he could draw asteroids in the same style as well. They look kinda flat, and the ship has this nice 3d effect.

Trent Gamblin

Maybe someone else could do it.

ImLeftFooted

Trent: You make Allegro sound like a military camp...

Trent Gamblin

That was... random.

Elias
Quote:

Trent: You make Allegro sound like a military camp...

It's what it is...

Don Freeman

I'm still waiting for the hidden..."Welcome to Allegro..." ;D

Is there a way to get the HWND for the current app using the current API...as in, not having to call FindWindow(className,windowName); ? I was thinking of adding some special Windows code like in the old API, any suggestions as to how I should go about that? Probably just look at the old API and see how it exposes the Windows API on a Windows system. I know some people didn't want special OS calls to be part of the new API, but sometimes it's needed.

Evert
Quote:

I'm still waiting for the hidden..."Welcome to Allegro..."

I've been meaning to extract that sample and put it in the example data directory. Good that you remind me.

Quote:

Is there a way to get the HWND for the current app using the current API...as in, not having to call FindWindow(className,windowName); ? I was thinking of adding some special Windows code like in the old API, any suggestions as to how I should go about that? Probably just look at the old API and see how it exposes the Windows API on a Windows system.

I don't know enough about the Windows port to say one way or the other whether this is possible or not, although I suppose it must be (come to think of it, look at the file picker addon in SVN, I think it has code for doing that). What is it that you want to do exactly? There may be a way to do what you want to do without having to use Windows-specific functions, or maybe it is something for which we should provide a platform neutral interface.

Quote:

I know some people didn't want special OS calls to be part of the new API, but sometimes it's needed.

As with breaking the API between different releases, I'm in the "no unless" camp on this. If at all possible, a platform-neutral wrapper is the way to go for me. ;)

Todd Cope

I am using GetForegroundWindow() for now. It returns the HWND for the window which currently has input focus.

Thomas Fjellstrom

I'm with Evert. If what you actually want can be done in a platform neutral way we should do that before extending the api for OS specific stuff like this.

Much like theres a File Dialog addon now.

Don Freeman

Mainly I ask, because I was looking to add the clipboard functions (Windows for now, others could provide a Linux/Mac version)...but I need to do some OS specific stuff. I do not plan to expose any Windows specific code ideally, but I need to gain that access in my functions.

Trent Gamblin

An HWND and a Window or Display or whatever X11 uses are pretty different. There is a way to get the HWND of a display if you're using direct3d, but it would be better if it was, if not cross platform, cross driver (meaning available with opengl in windows too).

Evert
Quote:

I was looking to add the clipboard functions (Windows for now, others could provide a Linux/Mac version)...but I need to do some OS specific stuff.

Sure, ok. Definitely have a look at the file selector addon, it needs to do something similar on Windows, I think.

Quote:

An HWND and a Window or Display or whatever X11 uses are pretty different.

So what?
You have some data structure that represents a window and that you pass around but never actually need to do anything with yourself, right? The only thing you care about is that the functions you want to pass it to know what to do with it.
Anyway, not to get into that discussion: if you need to write platform specific code (eg, in an addon), you need to write platform specific code. If we can wrap it in a platform neutral package, so much the better.

Matthew Leverton
Quote:

You have some data structure that represents a window and that you pass around but never actually need to do anything with yourself, right? The only thing you care about is that the functions you want to pass it to know what to do with it.

The ALLEGRO_DISPLAY essentially already is that data structure.

HWND *al_get_display_hwnd(ALLEGRO_DISPLAY *d);

Something like that for each platform is all that is needed. (Same thing A4 does.)

ImLeftFooted

This inspired the military camp comment:

Trent said:

.. drawn by Micah Crow (who is awol)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

The ALLEGRO_DISPLAY essentially already is that data structure.

If he was saying what I think he was saying, he was thinking something more like:

void *al_get_display_oshandle(ALLEGRO_DISPLAY *);

One function covers all platforms, you just have to cast.

But what I was thinking was more along the lines that it shouldn't be a public function. If such a funtion is needed, look at what it is needed for first, and try to support THAT in a cross platform manner.

Evert
Quote:

One function covers all platforms, you just have to cast.

I'd make it return an ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE or something like that, but yes, that's the idea.

Quote:

But what I was thinking was more along the lines that it shouldn't be a public function. If such a funtion is needed, look at what it is needed for first, and try to support THAT in a cross platform manner.

Oh, absolutely.
I was thinking along the lines of a cross-platform wrapper that you can pass the cross-platform OS handle to, but I realised after posting about it that there's no need for something like that: Allegro internally knows what the OS handle on the current display is, so there would never be a good reason to specify it manually in that case.

Don Freeman
Quote:

Quote: One function covers all platforms, you just have to cast.
I'd make it return an ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE or something like that, but yes, that's the idea.

At first, I was thinking of having it part of the system driver. Then there could be an added function to call, such as al_get_display_handle( ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_DRIVER *driver ). Maybe that is not the correct way to go, but that was my main idea.

Quote:

Yeah...that was my thinking. I'm not sure how Linux or Mac handles clipboard data, but my goal was to expose something like this to the end user:

ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD_DATA * al_get_clipboard_data( ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD_DATA_TYPE
                                                type );
bool al_set_clipboard_data( ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD_DATA *data,
                            ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD_DATA_TYPE type );

Obviously, I would plan this out better, but that is the jest of my idea. All of the cross platform stuff would ideally be handled internally by the library.

Also, I was thinking that maybe we could have OS specific stuff exposed by including the OS specific headers, like the old API. If you need/want Windows specific stuff for some obscure reason, then just include <allegro5/winalleg.h> or such. I don't really want to limit the functionality of the library just for the sake of argument...especially if that functionality is indeed there in the lib, just not exposed to the user (as in the case of the HWND). In the end, we have to make the distinction that the end user should 'do the right thing'.

Edit:
On the note of a clipboard addon, what would you like to see in it? I was thinking of text, graphics, sound, and user defined types. There are a shit ton of different types in Windows, but those are the most basic. Any suggestions/ideas?::)

Matthew Leverton

Now I'm just confused. What good is ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE? What functions would receive it? It never would be an Allegro function. It would always be a platform dependent function.

What are you suggesting?

#ifdef WINDOWS
#define ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE HWND
#else
#define ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE FOO
#endif

ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE *hndl = al_get_display_oshandle();
ShowWindow(hndl, SW_RESTORE);

or

struct ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE {
}

ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE hndl = al_get_display_oshandle();
ShowWindow(hndl.hwnd, SW_RESTORE);

or

typedef void * ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE;

ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE hndl = al_get_display_oshandle();
ShowWindow(hndl, SW_RESTORE);

I just don't see any point to introducing a special Allegro type when we know the only purpose is for it to be used with a platform dependent function.

Quote:

al_get_display_handle( ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_DRIVER *driver ). Maybe that is not the correct way to go, but that was my main idea.

That doesn't work, because there can be multiple displays.

Elias
Quote:

Also, I was thinking that maybe we could have OS specific stuff exposed by including the OS specific headers, like the old API. If you need/want Windows specific stuff for some obscure reason, then just include <allegro5/winalleg.h> or such.

That's also what I would prefer. As Matthew said, something like ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE would be entirely useless.

Quote:

On the note of a clipboard addon, what would you like to see in it? I was thinking of text, graphics, sound, and user defined types. There are a shit ton of different types in Windows, but those are the most basic. Any suggestions/ideas?

I think a function to just retrieve and set text would be a good start, once we have that people can start implementing it for different platforms.

I also can see the usefulness of pictures. But I think it should be separate pair of functions. The pictures would be converted to/from Allegro format.

All other types likely should be OS specific functions - trying to wrap too much into a cross-platform function will only make it hard to use.

Don Freeman

If it was an Allegro type, I would do as you posted:

#ifdef WINDOWS
#define ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE HWND
#else
#define ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE FOO
#endif
ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE *hndl = al_get_display_oshandle()

That would be more readable than casting everywhere.

Using the following, you would still have to cast somewhere in the code:

typedef void * ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE;

ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE hndl = al_get_display_oshandle()
ShowWindow((HWND)hndl, SW_RESTORE);

I'm not sure about the other systems, do they all have the same kind of functionality...a 'handle' to a window?!???

Edit:
You beat me...;D

Quote:

All other types likely should be OS specific functions - trying to wrap too much into a cross-platform function will only make it hard to use.

I don't think it will be too hard to add sound and graphics in a cross platform way. It shouldn't make a difference to the end user, the way I was going to expose the functionality. I had planned to have functions to convert an ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD_DATA object to the various Allegro types...ALLEGRO_BITMAP and ALLEGRO_SAMPLE so ideally, that should not be a big deal to the user.

Evert
Quote:

Now I'm just confused. What good is ALLEGRO_OS_DISPLAY_HANDLE? What functions would receive it?

You surprise me. You just failed basic reading. Just re-read what I said above:

I said:

I realised after posting about it that there's no need for something like that: Allegro internally knows what the OS handle on the current display is, so there would never be a good reason to specify it manually in that case.

So no, there would never be any point in having a function like that.

Quote:

Then there could be an added function to call, such as al_get_display_handle( ALLEGRO_SYSTEM_DRIVER *driver ). Maybe that is not the correct way to go, but that was my main idea.

Check allegro5/addons/native_dialog/win_dialog.c. It does the following, which I suppose from the code and comments to be similar to what you need:

[...]
#include "allegro5/platform/aintwin.h"
[...]
void al_show_native_file_dialog(ALLEGRO_NATIVE_FILE_DIALOG *fd)
{
   OPENFILENAME ofn;
   ALLEGRO_DISPLAY_WIN *display;
[...]
   display = (ALLEGRO_DISPLAY_WIN*)al_get_current_display();
   ofn.hwndOwner = display->window;

This is the proper way to do it (at the moment): if you need the platform specific information, you include the header that defines the platform-specific data structures (which are derived from Allegro's public platform-neutral data structures), cast it and then access the fields you need.

Aside and note to self: the OS X port doesn't allow you to do the same for its displays at the moment because the ALLEGRO_DISPLAY_OSX_WIN struct, which should maybe lose the _WIN, is in a different file (src/macosx/osxgl.m). That should possibly change.

EDIT: I forgot to say:

Quote:

On the note of a clipboard addon, what would you like to see in it? I was thinking of text, graphics, sound, and user defined types. There are a shit ton of different types in Windows, but those are the most basic. Any suggestions/ideas?

Don't make things too complicated (personally, I don't like seeing yet-another-datatype). I would just add functions to grab text/bitmap/sample from the clipboard and to place them there.

Elias
Quote:

I don't think it will be too hard to add sound and graphics in a cross platform way. It shouldn't make a difference to the end user, the way I was going to expose the functionality. I had planned to have functions to convert an ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD_DATA object to the various Allegro types...ALLEGRO_BITMAP and ALLEGRO_SAMPLE so ideally, that should not be a big deal to the user.

Well, I don't know. I'd like if I can just do:

al_set_clipboard_text("abc");
ALLEGRO_USTR *text = al_get_clipboard_text();

Will be hard enough getting that implemented for the 3 platforms.

For pictures, I'd like something like:

al_set_clipboard_bitmap(screenshot);

Of course, if there really is use for going the way of ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD_DATA, I won't oppose it. Can you give an example where I could do something with that I couldn't with the simple functions? I only see how it would be useful in Windows-specific code - but for that just make a Windows-specific function.

Matthew Leverton
Quote:

You surprise me. You just failed basic reading. Just re-read what I said above:

Your post was confusing to me, because the first half plainly says you want the al_get_display_oshandle() function and the second half says you do not want some function referenced by pronouns and quotes with no citations.

But it seems we all agree now that neither al_get_display_oshandle() nor a special data type is needed.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

Of course, if there really is use for going the way of ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD_DATA, I won't oppose it.

I think the only reason would be to support custom data formats.. but then we could do this instead:

al_set_clipboard_data(char *type, void *data);

where type is a mime type or something similar (I think most systems use mime types for clipboard data, but I'm not 100% sure about that).

edit:

Quote:

But it seems we all agree now that neither al_get_display_oshandle() or a special data type is needed.

Indeed, I didn't think far enough to realize the same thing. Any code that wants to access the handles, can do so if they grab the OS specific display type.

Don Freeman

Thanks Evert! That looks good.8-)

Quote:

Don't make things too complicated (personally, I don't like seeing yet-another-datatype). I would just add functions to grab text/bitmap/sample from the clipboard and to place them there.

The main reason for adding the ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD_DATA type was for easier cross platform programming....a layer of abstraction that the end user would not have to know about or deal with. Should there maybe be an ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD object that has a vtable that would point to the OS specific functions for the different ops, such as loading/saving text/graphics?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

The main reason for adding the ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD_DATA type was for easier cross platform programming.

The type isn't needed. Just a set of functions that can set or get ALLEGRO types.

Quote:

Should there maybe be an ALLEGRO_CLIPBOARD object that has a vtable that would point to the OS specific functions for the different ops, such as loading/saving text/graphics?

You can implement it that way, but its nothing you need to export.

Don Freeman

Ok...that sounds cool with me. <heads to evil lair to begin work.>8-)

Matthew Leverton

I agree with Elias here. I think a few functions like this are all we need:

al_set_clipboard_text(char *text);
al_set_clipboard_bitmap(ALLEGRO_BITMAP *bmp);
al_set_clipboard_data(char *type, void *data);

That would work well with Windows, at least. (Custom clipboard types are just specified by strings that you register in the registry.)

Evert
Quote:

Your post was confusing to me, because the first half plainly says you want the al_get_display_oshandle() function

Ah. Well, no, that was only meant as an explanation of what I meant before.

Quote:

But it seems we all agree now that neither al_get_display_oshandle() nor a special data type is needed.

Yes.

Quote:

You can implement it that way, but its nothing you need to export.

I'd follow the approach of the file selector addon: just have different files for each platform and compile the proper one in. You really only need a vtable if you think you might have different drivers for the same functionality on one platform.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

I'd follow the approach of the file selector addon: just have different files for each platform and compile the proper one in. You really only need a vtable if you think you might have different drivers for the same functionality on one platform.

Thats what I was thinking.

Elias

For X11, if we want to support the classic middle-click selection, we'll have to tap into Allegro's X11 events handler:

http://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/events/client-communication/selection.html

It works in a kinda stupid way, whenever you paste something, X11 sends an event to the window with the current selection asking it for the data.

Apparently in KDE and Gnome there also is a normal, non-stupid clipboard with persistent data (so the selection won't be gone when you close the window like with the X11 one) - haven't found out yet how to access it though. Maybe we only should support the normal clipboard and not the middle-click one.. but from example code I've seen so far both are entangled somehow :/

Don Freeman

I have an early version for getting text, in Windows anyway.

a5_clipboard.h:

1///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
2#ifndef A5_CLIPBOARD_H
3#define A5_CLIPBOARD_H
4///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
5#include <allegro5/allegro5.h>
6#include <windows.h>
7///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
8AL_BEGIN_EXTERN_C
9///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
10// These are exposed to the user. Internally, they are implemented in a system
11// specific way, through a file that is compiled only for that system. On a
12// Windows system, that happens to be a5_clipboard_win.c
13// Only the text functions are implemented right now.
14AL_FUNC(bool,al_set_clipboard_text,(const char *));
15AL_FUNC(char *,al_get_clipboard_text,(void));
16AL_FUNC(bool,al_set_clipboard_bitmap,(ALLEGRO_BITMAP*));
17AL_FUNC(ALLEGRO_BITMAP*,al_get_clipboard_bitmap,(void));
18AL_FUNC(bool,al_set_clipboard_sample,(ALLEGRO_SAMPLE*));
19AL_FUNC(ALLEGRO_SAMPLE*,al_get_clipboard_sample,(void));
20///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
21AL_END_EXTERN_C
22///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
23#endif // A5_CLIPBOARD_H
24///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

a5_clipboard_win.c:

2#include <allegro5/allegro5.h>
3#include "a5_clipboard.h"
4///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
5// Windows specific clipboard routines.
6///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
7bool al_set_clipboard_text( const char *source )
8{
9 char * buffer;
10 HGLOBAL clipbuffer;
11 BOOL ok = OpenClipboard(NULL);
12 if (!ok)
13 return false;
14 EmptyClipboard();
15 if ( !source )
16 source = "\0";
17 clipbuffer = GlobalAlloc(GMEM_DDESHARE, strlen(source)+1);
18 if ( clipbuffer == NULL )
19 return false;
20 buffer = (char*)GlobalLock(clipbuffer);
21 strcpy(buffer, source);
22 GlobalUnlock(clipbuffer);
23 SetClipboardData(CF_TEXT,clipbuffer);
24 CloseClipboard();
25 return true;
26}
27///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
28char * al_get_clipboard_text( void )
29{
30 BOOL ok = OpenClipboard(NULL);
31 char * buffer = NULL;
32 HANDLE hData;
33 if (!ok)
34 return NULL;
35 hData = GetClipboardData( CF_TEXT );
36 buffer = (char*)GlobalLock( hData );
37 GlobalUnlock( hData );
38 CloseClipboard();
39 return buffer;
40}
41///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Do you think I should add an option to limit the amount of text that is returned?
I still haven't figured how to get unicode text (like from character map) to show up correctly...even using ALLEGRO_USTR. Any suggestions?

Thomas Fjellstrom

Windows unicode is likely UCS-2, or UTF-16 (whatever), allegro deals in UTF-8, you may have to use uconvert (if peter kept it around) to convert to utf8.

Evert
Quote:

Do you think I should add an option to limit the amount of text that is returned?

Arbitrary limits are evil, so no, you shouldn't. But who is responsible for freeing the pointer returned by al_get_clipboard_text? If it's a static buffer that changes the next time GetClipboardData/GlobalLock are called, you should strdup it.

Quote:

I still haven't figured how to get unicode text (like from character map) to show up correctly...even using ALLEGRO_USTR. Any suggestions?

It should work AFAIK if you use a char * pointing to a UTF8 encoded string. Doesn't that work for you? Have you checked the encoding?

Don Freeman

Ok...I'll look at it later. Thanks for the comments.:D

axilmar

Demo not working for me (VS 2009). It stops when trying to load the sound file "big_explosion.ogg", although the file is in the proper place.

Trent Gamblin

Do you have OGG vorbis support compiled in? You need libogg and libvorbis for that.

axilmar
Quote:

Do you have OGG vorbis support compiled in? You need libogg and libvorbis for that.

I don't think so. Is it a prerequisite for Allegro 5? or is it only for the demo?

Thomas Fjellstrom

Its a prerequisite for the demo, and any sound playing example you want to be able to load ogg.

axilmar

Ok, libogg and libvorbis downloaded, compiled and installed.

What now? how do I add support for it for the demo? or is it automatic?

EDIT:

The code that fails is this one:

/* Function: al_load_sample
 */
ALLEGRO_SAMPLE *al_load_sample(const char *filename)
{
   const char *ext;

ASSERT(filename);

ext = strrchr(filename, '.');
   if (ext == NULL)
      return NULL;

The filename is "c:\dev\allegro-4.9.8\demo\data\sfx\big_explosion.ogg".

The function strrchr returns null, and therefore the sample can not be loaded.

Thomas Fjellstrom

You re ran cmake for allegro, and re compiled it right?

Quote:

The function strrchr returns null, and therefore the sample can not be loaded.

It can't return NULL in that case, it'll find the last . and return that. You must be mistaken on what is actually going on there.

axilmar

Nope. I am about to do that again.

EDIT:

Bleh, I built libvorbis but cmake can't find it, although I added the correct paths...it's late, and I am tired of the the command line already. The command line sucks. No demo for me...

kenmasters1976

Which Addons doesn't require any external libraries?. Right now I have only built the core Allegro lib and the Primitives addon, but I'm thinking into building the rest.

Don Freeman

I was wondering if I could get some people to test this for me. I've noticed different behavior on two different machines, both with the same OS (Windows Server 2008). I am guessing this is a driver issue, maybe ATI Vs. nVidia . The main problem is that my ATI driver (at least in my mind so far) is causing this to fail when loading the Terrain.png file. I can not seem to get debug info from it either. The debugger says that there are no symbols for it...allegro was compiled with debug options as well as the program, so I assume that it is a failure in one of the other modules, perhaps something from DirectX. I can switch the Terrain.png to be a grid of 10x10 tiles and it works. It is almost as if it is running out of memory, but that can't be...I have over a gig in each machine and plenty of free memory. I am thinking it has something to do with texture memory and the way the two (nVidia and ATI) handle that. I am just trying to figure what the main deal is here. I've also noticed that on my ATI system, the drawing functions look different as well. The drawing functions look fine in other programs I've made between both systems, so that is weird. It is the exact same program, but the al_draw_rounded_rect looks different on both systems. It looks correct on my nVidia card, but the rounded rects look slightly scewed. If you decide to test this for me, please let me know what system (OS and version) and what kind of video card type and video memory your system has. Note: this was tested with Allegro-4.9.8, so that is why I am posting it here. I want to see if this is a bug with Allegro, or something with ATI or nVidia drivers.

Here is the Visual Studio 2008 project files, source code, and data needed.
Here is the 10x10 tile grid file that worked on the ATI system. If you would, please rename the original Terrain.png and put this to data/gfx/terrain.png in the programs search path. Please test with both versions and let me know if one worked and not the other, or if both worked/failed for you as well.

For those who do test it, spacebar pops up the terrain to 'select' (enter tile brush selection mode) and esc exits the program. When in 'select' mode, arrow keys move the selection cursor around, enter selects a tile brush, and esc exits that mode.

Thanks guys.:-*

Edit:
Here is a compiled version for Windows (using Visual Studio 2008).

The standard no screen shot, no download...so here ya go:
Main screen:
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/598032
Tile brush select mode:
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/598033

MiquelFire

Um, yea, I'll test when I feel like downloading the dlls

Don Freeman

Anyone?! I want to see if this is something with the way the new API deals with hardware calls, or if it is a driver issue...and if it can be fixed. Maybe this could be addressed in the FAQ or other area.::)

Neil Walker

Can you statically link everything or point me in the direction of the allegro dlls? I've got the depencies from here http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/599504/798701#target

But they only include non-allegro stuff.

Trent Gamblin

allegro5.org has binaries.

Trezker

What's the... purpose of http://allegro5.org ?
The FAQ doesn't seem to be working, and there's no about page.
What do you get for creating an account?

Thomas Fjellstrom

Right now its purpose is news on Allegro 5 and Binaries. We (trent and I) don't really have much news to post...

Later on it will probably just be turned into an alias for liballeg.org once allegro 5 is released.

The FAQ seems to be working fine though. Its just that there are no questions ;)

Elias

Trent registered liballeg.org and allegro5.org.

I think it would be best if we made those the official addresses. "alleg.sf.net" ties us to SF (probably Allegro's web hosting will never change to anything else - but still no reason to have it as official address). Right now the "official" address is still talula.something.really.long.nobody.can.remember - which is kinda stupid.

Trezker

Yeah I like allegro5.org, has a good solid feel to it.
The design of it right now really looks like a place where you should be able to find all the resources you need with just one or two clicks. But I don't think you do quite yet, basically because some things people need haven't been written yet.

kenmasters1976

The program crashes on my machine and I don't have some of the needed addons installed to try and build it myself on MinGW. Sorry.

Trent Gamblin

If anyone wants to work on the FAQ or any other areas of allegro5.org let me know. I can handle the binary releases.

Neil Walker
Don said:

Anyone?!

Right I've got 28 dlls in my folder now! I remember the days when you could ship an exe and a dat ;)

Anyway, as soon as I start the program I get an exception. Here is my directory folder in case I've missed something:

a5_acodec-4.9.8.dll
a5_color-4.9.8.dll
a5_font-4.9.8.dll
a5_iio-4.9.8.dll
a5_memfile-4.9.8.dll
a5_primitives-4.9.8.dll
a5_ttf-4.9.8.dll
allegro-4.9.8.dll
freetype6.dll
jpeg62.dll
kcm_audio-4.9.8.dll
libFLAC++.dll
libFLAC.dll
libpng12.dll
librle3.dll
libsndfile-1.dll
MapEditorEnhanced.exe
ogg.dll
ogg_d.dll
tmp.txt
vorbis.dll
vorbisenc.dll
vorbisenc_d.dll
vorbisfile.dll
vorbisfile_d.dll
vorbis_d.dll
zlib1.dll

MiquelFire

I wasn't able to run the program either.

Don Freeman

Ok...thanks to those willing to try. What are your video cards (ATI,nVidia,Intel)? Also, if you would, can you try with this file? Just place it in the data/gfx folder. It's weird, but it works for my other box that didn't work before.:o

Edit:
The executable was created using Visual Studio 2008, so you may need the run times for that. If you already have Visual Studio 2008, then I guess you don't have to worry.::)

Thanks again to all those willing to give it a go.:D

Also, here are the libs/dlls/includes I used for development.::)

MiquelFire

There could be something funky with your build of Allegro that doesn't work with the allegro5.org dlls. IIRC, not having the runtime actually should come up with an error along those lines.

When I tested, it was with a nVidia card. 6600GT AGP (It's a PCI Express card retro fitted to AGP actually, including GDDR3 ram, which no current AGP has now...)

Don Freeman
Quote:

IIRC, not having the runtime actually should come up with an error along those lines.

Yeah, it SHOULD give you an error like 'This program has used the c-runtime incorrectly' or something.

Quote:

There could be something funky with your build of Allegro that doesn't work with the allegro5.org dlls

I don't think so, but I guess it could be possible. I've included the development stuff above.

I wonder if it has something to do with integrated cards. My laptop is of course integrated, but my desktop is not. The desktop works fine.::) It does work with the new version of Terrain.png I posted above, so please see if it does for you as well.:D

kenmasters1976

It didn't work with the files in the binary pack at allegro5.org, but it worked with the ones in your attachment.

It worked (painfully slow on my machine) with the 10x10 terrain grid, but not with the original one. I have a crappy old integrated Intel graphics card.

Neil Walker

I have VS2008 and I run vista so I don't need the additional MS files. Are you checking all the return values on startup?

You mentioned gfx folder? All you sent in the original was a single exe. Do you need the gfx and if so, why aren't you checking the files exist?

btw, shouldn't this strain of messages be moved to another thread?

Don Freeman
Quote:

It didn't work with the files in the binary pack at allegro5.org, but it worked with the ones in your attachment.

That is strange...I'll have to take a look at THAT one. The only thing I could imagine is they use a different version of libpng or something.

How fast is your computer ken? I'd like to know what kind of hit to my user base to expect using the new API.::)

Edit:

Quote:

You mentioned gfx folder? All you sent in the original was a single exe. Do you need the gfx and if so, why aren't you checking the files exist?

They are in the original post, but it includes the source and project files as well. I just included the bin for those not wanting to compile it.::)

Yeah, maybe this should be in a new thread...;D

kenmasters1976

I have a pretty old machine. It's a Celeron CPU @ 1.70 GHz with an Intel 82845G/GL Graphics Controller.

Neil Walker

ok, i've downloaded your source. You aren't checking a single return value so I have no idea where it is failing.

Don Freeman
Quote:

ok, i've downloaded your source. You aren't checking a single return value so I have no idea where it is failing.

I am checking for an invalid image loaded using al_iio_load in LoadTiledImage:

unsigned int LoadTiledImage( const char *fileName, unsigned int borderSize,
           unsigned int tileWidth, unsigned int tileHeight,
           ImageVector &dest )
{
//  ...
  ALLEGRO_BITMAP *tmp = al_iio_load(fileName);
  if ( !tmp )
    return 0;

The actual line of code that dies is al_iio_load. It doesn't even get to the if (!tmp) line. I've checked the all of the return values during my debug session before posting my question here. I've even commented out parts of the program to narrow the offending section down. My conclusion was the call to al_iio_load. As soon as that function is called...blammo. It dies using the original Terrain.png file. What dies is not anything that is from Allegro or my program directly. It seems to be coming from the graphics driver dll functions, probably in a DirectX call somewhere. I can only get assembly output for that section as well...even with debug options on for Allegro and my program. If no one else is interested in this, then please just disregard my question(s) in this regard. I am going to assume that this is something of an issue with various graphics card drivers and will program around this. The developers do not seem to be that interested anyway....:-/ I'll try to keep an eye on future issues others may have and see if this is something in common with others, or just something of a fluke.???

Thread #599171. Printed from Allegro.cc