Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » why I like my wii more than my 360

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
why I like my wii more than my 360
Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Hello,
I bought Shaun Wright snowboarding for the wii on the weekend and with my wii-fit board, it is just fantastic - even had my 3 year old son surfing like a pro. Despite the far superior graphics and online play in the game, it never even entered my mind to get the 360 version.

In fact, to double that up I bought Bleach and again the new control system (remote for sword play) adds so much more to the game that it laughs in the face of the 360, and the ps3's 10 year-old controller :)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

I've not experienced any of those games, have never played on an Xbox 360 and have spent only one evening with a Wii, but I agree heartily.

In any sphere, creating a great user interface for features you frequently use is infinitely more important than dull number posturing (as in, "obviously my console is better than yours, it can play over 9,000 sounds at once because it has a 2.8Ghz processor!") or long lists of tacked-on features.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

Newer != better :P

Sure, the wii-mote adds a new kind of gameplay.
Some like it, some don't. I'm with the latter crowd, perhaps only because it feels awkward :-/

But, is it better? Less buttons gives less ways to interact. Yeah yeah, I know... I could wave the wii-mote like Harry Potter on crack to interact in many many many ways.
It's only amusing for the other people watching you to do something trivial and get frustrated. I'd definitely have to say no.

But hey, you like it, good for you ;D

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Quote:

just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell.

I'll just keep your quote in my sig as usual, just in case you'd forget :D

Unfortunatly for you, I think that someone already had your idea and beat you to it

smallish_3091940450_03aab8b49d_o.jpg

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

ixilom said:

Some like it, some don't. I'm with the latter crowd...

Same here. The only game that I have played and think that the control fits perfectly is Mario Kart. That's the way that kind of games should be played and of course there are always Driving Wheels for other consoles too. I've never liked Mario Kart but on the Wii it feels just fine.

I'm not saying that the 360 or PS3 are better. I just don't like all the Wii-Something things.

Just to make things clear, I don't have any current generation console... nor any former generation console... oh well, the point is that this is my opinion from what I have played on others' consoles.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I've never liked Mario Kart but on the Wii it feels just fine.

Except for item spamming. That is so freaking annoying.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

Some like it, some don't.

Yep, and it's what ever suits you that's best. Hardcore gamers probably prefer the comfort of a controller, while Joe public most likely prefers to use that feels natural (and don't bother arguing that the xBox and PS controllers are natural - you'd just be talking a load of fertiliser).

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

But, is it better? Less buttons gives less ways to interact.

There is a point of steeply diminishing return in regard to the number of buttons a controller has. I'd rather see games use context sensitivity heavily (and more intelligently) instead of asking the player to memorize a ten button layout for each game they own.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Biznaga
Member #3,180
January 2003

Quote:

Less buttons gives less ways to interact.

Well... to me, more buttons it's just more of the same. I find peripherals that really work on different "dimensions" more interactive: motion sensor, microphone, etc. Finally, I think the better is what really fits better for each game. Sometimes, they are just annoying.

There are games for DS, in example, that force you to use the stylus in non-innovative ways. Maybe game designers should think more in non-standard ways to make a game, let's say more freely. Of course, there are always place for good old-way-button-mash classics. ;)

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I remember playing Speedball 2 on my Atari ST. It was played with a 1-button discrete-directional joystick. Using that 1 button, and a combination of context and joystick directions you could slide, punch, throw long, throw short, throw long and curving, and dive. I think that game was a good example of how games need not use many buttons.

-----------

Go to: