Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Cosmic Invaders - Now with more boss

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Cosmic Invaders - Now with more boss
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

I made it past the first boss, and about 4 levels after that, ... the sound started looping and the game hung up.

Same here... just downloaded the zip version.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Quote:

Those of you who insist it still crashes -- are you sure you have the latest release? I fixed that bug. :P

I suspect X-G to not have updated his first post links.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

No, I uploaded them in the same place.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

So it's still bugging there.
I tried the zip and the exe. Same effect. It does not crash, but freeze.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

It would really help if you said where and how instead of being useless. >:|

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Haha, I can see X-G doing customer service:

Customer: "Hello? Yeah, um, my computer isn't working."
X-G: "Am I to be surprised? :P You're the one who isn't working.:P"

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Don't go all Derek Smart on us X-G :D

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Yeah XG, if you're going to sell this game over the iStore (and get rich from the iFans iMonies), you'll have to work on those customer service skills... ;D

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I'm sure it would be rejected for being confusingly similar to iTunes.

--

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

X-G said:

It would really help if you said where and how instead of being useless. >:|

Meh, a usefull trace ! gdb does not output NOTHING since the application isn't segfaulting but simply FREEZING. Got it ?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You know you can still get the current call stack wherever its stuck right? Just break execution and get the backtrace.

Also, X-G is probably asking what you did to get it to hang.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

I also got the freeze on Windows. I think I just did a tower upgrade, but I don't remember which one. Starting with tons of money may make it easier to repro.

Edit:

I also managed to get a crash on level 2 or 3. My sequence was to build a missle tower at one end, then chain laser towers to slowly reach the other end.

Unhandled exception at 0x01d87434 in CosmicInvaders.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x01d8c000.

This is about the code where it segfaults:

01D87402  mov         dword ptr es:[edi],eax 
01D87405  add         edi,4 
01D87408  cmp         eax,0FF00FFh 
01D8740D  je          01D87412 
01D8740F  mov         dword ptr es:[edi],eax 
01D87412  add         edi,4 
01D87415  mov         eax,dword ptr [esi] 
01D87417  add         esi,4 
01D8741A  cmp         eax,0FF00FFh 
01D8741F  je          01D87424 
01D87421  mov         dword ptr es:[edi],eax 
01D87424  add         edi,4 
01D87427  cmp         eax,0FF00FFh 
01D8742C  je          01D87431 
01D8742E  mov         dword ptr es:[edi],eax 
01D87431  add         edi,4 
01D87434  mov         eax,dword ptr [esi]   <<== HERE
01D87436  add         esi,4 
01D87439  ret 

With:

EAX	00FF00FF	
		ESI	01D8C000	
		EDI	01A45418	

The call stack is:

>	01d87434()	
 	alleg42.dll!67a28e69() 	
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for alleg42.dll]	

The code looks like a 32-bpp masked blit, with a loop inlined.

Edit2: Attached screenshot of crashpoint.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Thomas Fjellstrom said:

You know you can still get the current call stack wherever its stuck right? Just break execution and get the backtrace.

How do you do that? I used the break key while the program was running out of gdb and it doesn't do anything and tried it with gdb in focus and it just quit out of gdb. CTRL C doesn't work either.

It hangs randomly as far as I can tell. One time it did it on the first level, other times other levels. It doesn't seem to matter whether I was clicking at the time or not. I think it gets stuck in some while loop somewhere. Invalid iterator? I don't know. My function tracer should be able to log up to the last function call before it hangs, but the tracelog will be at least tens and likely hundreds of megabytes large due to the length of time needed to run the program, and you'd have to compile a special version.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Edgar said:

It hangs randomly as far as I can tell. One time it did it on the first level, other times other levels. It doesn't seem to matter whether I was clicking at the time or not. I think it gets stuck in some while loop somewhere. Invalid iterator?

Exactly what I am experiencing.

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

My first time I got to 21, and on my third try I beat 30 waves!
Incredibly addicting, I love it!

I put a whole line of "cheapo lasers" along the bottom and upgraded their firing speeds to max. After a while, I gave them all missiles too. After the level 20 boss, it became a repair-fest. Around 25-26 I started losing a couple, and the level 30 boss was crazy. At that point, the levels are actually harder than the bosses!

Just a couple suggestions:
-Hotkey R for repairing?
-HP bar on mouse-over?

Also, no crashes here. :D

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

See, Bob knows how to be helpful. :]

If a backtrace or disassembly is not available, the least you can do is explain what you were doing when it crashed.

The thing is, the crash-on-upgrading-past-the-maximum bug was fixed. I know I fixed it. You folk that are still experiencing crashes, are you using the .zip or .exe?

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I can't give you any backtraces - it hangs up and gets stuck in an endless loop. I don't know how you're supposed to break execution at that point.

I've been using the zip file.

Quote:

The thing is, the crash-on-upgrading-past-the-maximum bug was fixed. I know I fixed it.

One time, it hung up on the very first level, so I don't think it had anything to do with too many upgrades.

Edit
Made it to level 36! It didn't hang up at all this time. <- Scratch that, I beat 41! :D
{"name":"597187","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/3\/f3392b2940d1682c5586db0d9da14930.png","w":652,"h":512,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/3\/f3392b2940d1682c5586db0d9da14930"}597187

However, I started over, and on level 3 or 4 it hung again. I wasn't doing anything at the time except moving the mouse pointer. Here's the screen at the time :
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/597186

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I can't download either version. I get randomly disconnected from the server partway through. I tried with Opera, FF, and even IE. I then downloaded GetRight, but had the same problem there, and resuming the download started from the beginning again with the same result.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

bob said:

> 01d87434()
alleg42.dll!67a28e69()
The code looks like a 32-bpp masked blit, with a loop inlined.

If you can tell that from a number and a couple of assembly lines you're either very clever or you need to get a life ;)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

If you can tell that from a number and a couple of assembly lines you're either very clever or you need to get a life

It's pretty easy to see if you look at the code, actually:

01D87415  mov         eax,dword ptr [esi] 
01D87417  add         esi,4 
01D8741A  cmp         eax,0FF00FFh 
01D8741F  je          01D87424 
01D87421  mov         dword ptr es:[edi],eax 
01D87424  add         edi,4

This section of code essentially repeats. What it does is:
1. Load the a 32 bit value from one location ([esi]) in eax
2. Advance the pointer to the source location to the next 32 bit value
3. If EAX is magic pink (00FF00FFh), skip the following instruction (4)
4. Set the 32 bit value at another location (es:[edi]) to the value in EAX
5. Advance the pointer to the target location to the next 32 bit value.
Repeat from 1.

That the loop is unrolled can be seen because the code repeats, rather than loop.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

On a different note, I've just discovered Google Translate.

X-G does your sig mean,

"To drive away evil spirits! To drive away evil spirits! Ghost,NO, when Doman trouble! SEMAN! Doman! SEMAN! Onmyoji RETTSUGO call immediately!"

or,
"
Elingtuisan! Elingtuisan! Ling resentment, no-blame, the storm shows that when ta wa Music Guide Multi Guide! Multi Center Music Guide! Multi Music Guide Guide! Multi Center Music Guide!straight called ma shi ni u Yinyang Shi Site Guide Rubber Heights Music!"

:)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Felix-The-Ghost
Member #9,729
April 2008

It never malfunctioned for me. On my first try I got to 28, is that bad?
Good graphics, heat-seeking physics seem sluggish. Not sure how shock tower is worth it's cost, not saying it's not unique, just not worth it.

==========================
<--- The ghost with the most!
---------------------------
[Website] [Youtube]

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

heat-seeking physics seem sluggish.

This is intentional, to counterbalance the fact that, well, they're heat-seeking. And deal very solid damage.

Quote:

Not sure how shock tower is worth it's cost

When upgraded it deals the highest single-target damage in the game.

Quote:

X-G does your sig mean

Quote:

Akuryou, taisan! Akuryou, taisan! Onryou, mononoke, komatta toki wa / Douman, seiman, douman, seiman / Sugu ni yobimashou onmyouji RETTSU GO!

Quote:

Evil spirit, begone! Evil spirit, begone! When you're in trouble with ghosts or spirits / douman, seiman, douman, seiman / Call the onmyouji right away! LET'S GO!

(Douman and seiman are onmyoudou symbols.)

--

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

That sounds like the japanese version of the Ghostbusters theme.

ON TOPIC: I'm just downloading your game. It looks nice.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Sweet, downlaod works now.

No crashes here, and I tried the .zip and .exe version.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: