Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Cosmic Invaders - Now with more boss

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Cosmic Invaders - Now with more boss
X-G
Member #856
December 2000

It's better, it's harder, it has sound and more boss. Download it. [win32, installer] You will love it.

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/597174

(Alternate download [win32, zip] -- same content, but a zip)

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

It froze when I was fighting the first boss.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

And how do I reproduce that? :P

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

It has become quite a bit more hectic than your first release. I found myself constantly repairing my turrets. I didn't have the time to watch, which I really liked in your previous version. The boss was really cool, though.
Unfortunately it froze for me too, when I clicked on the "upgrade fire rate"-button of a laser turret. I was at Level 16-18 or so... didn't have the time to check the exact level either. ;)

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I think I've fixed this bug now. Try again.

--

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Nice! I like the graphics. The interface could use some keyboard commands (or if they exist, some hint as to what they are).

One for each action (notably repair) would be nice. Maybe you could make it so that holding down ALT or space displays all turrets current health?

Great game, made harder (in a bad way) by a cumbersome interface :)

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

I'm on linux so I can't try it now but....

DUDE!!!! I love this game, YOU should make this into an iPhone game ==> PROFIT!!!!

Hell, I'll do the coding if you do the graphics and we can split the profit...

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

This thing looks awesome. Haven't had a chance to get past the first level, but I'll play it more over Thanksgiving. Now you just need a cool music track.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Played it some more. Awesome game :) The controls still bug me a bit (repair and destroy are a bit too close to each other btw), but whatever ;)

One thing I would have liked is a defensive structure of some kind... maybe a shield (which protects nearby turrets) or a point-defence laser (which shoots at incoming projectiles) or something. Something to make it less "most DPS for money" and more tactical.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

The interface could use some keyboard commands (or if they exist, some hint as to what they are).

Yeah, I'd like to set a weapon to a number (click turret, press CTRL+#, afterwards, pressing # selects that turret), and then a hotkey for repairing the turret. It's not much fun to select a tower and then select repair over and over.

Nonetheless, a very well-rounded (minus the lack of a music track), polished and addicting game. Kudos.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

I love this game! It's good to see it again. I think point defense a/o shield would be awesome.

The bullets make lasers die sooooo fast...the only things I could afford to keep were a pair of missile turrets on either side. :-/

edit: WHAT IS WITH THESE GIANT BOUNCING RED BALLS OF DOOM I CAN'T KILL THEM

edit2: I need a way to see all health bars.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Quote:

I'm on linux so I can't try it now but....

The game runs fine in wine.

Its pretty hard.. I got to wave 10.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

YAY ! Another release !
I was thinking you will never touch it again, X-G :-)

I'll try it when I'll have some free time today :-) :-) ( BTW I am so happy !! :-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

This game kicks ass.

I made it past the first boss, and about 4 levels after that, when I clicked on a missile turret, the sound started looping and the game hung up. I was clicking on the second missile turret from the right :
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/597178

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Excellent game and great graphics, I never knew you had a game in you.

One thing I found would be of benefit is to see the status of my weapons just by hovering over them rather than having to click on then, or something similar.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Tried again, this time it was level 25 I think, and I lost a laser tower so I went to add another one and clicked twice in a row quickly - once to place it and the second click was kind of by accident, but it hung again on the second click.
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/597179

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I got up to wave 19. Good game, its a good update to the old game. Good graphics. And the sound is awesome too, I love the retro feel it gives you.

But now, to the ranting!
One thing that bothered me was that life bars weren't always displayed. I had to constantly click on each gun to see if it needs repairing. The repairing didn't bother me, the clicking did.

Another thing, the red ball, if it explodes on the ground it hurts your life. Its acceptable if the aliens hurt you when they come to the ground, but the red ball? I can't even hurt it! What am I supposed to do, put turrets all over the ground to stop it? That would cost me even more for repairing.

Well, those are about the only two things that bothered me. Great game!

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

I managed to make it all the way to level 35 but it hung again.

Wow! Talk about War of the Worlds! Major armageddon going on. :o
I couldn't look up, and it was all I could do just to keep clicking on each turret and trying to move quickly over to repair without clicking on destroy. I lost a few really nice missile launchers that way. :'(
{"name":"597180","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/7\/773c84c3a3099c4386e663a15e79d577.png","w":652,"h":512,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/7\/773c84c3a3099c4386e663a15e79d577"}597180

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I am astonished that some people who are well known allegroits were not aware of the first release of that game.

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Wow, I've never thought that this game will get a new release. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Quote:

I am astonished that some people who are well known allegroits were not aware of the first release of that game.

Agreed.

This is definatelly going to be a good time waster, I'm kinda scared to download it :)

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

:-( I got frozen each time before level 10.

Even gdb isn't telling me anything, what makes me think it's not a memory bug. More an implementation bug.

X-G, can you provide us some debug release, with some trace enabled ?

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

I was a fan of the first release. :)

I can't get past wave 36. I've gotten there twice. I had a strategy I thought was going to take past, but then it froze at wave 22 (sorry, don't have a way to reproduce it).

------------

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

After level 20 I got bored as it just repeats the same gameplay over again. More weapons and bosses would be nice.

And there's an annoying pixel in the wrong place of the space invader when it opens its legs ;)

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/597181

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Another thing, the red ball, if it explodes on the ground it hurts your life. Its acceptable if the aliens hurt you when they come to the ground, but the red ball? I can't even hurt it! What am I supposed to do, put turrets all over the ground to stop it? That would cost me even more for repairing.

That, or kill the boss before he kills you, yes. It's the only way the boss can kill you, after all. :P

Quote:

And there's an annoying pixel in the wrong place of the space invader

Who says it's in the wrong place?

Those of you who insist it still crashes -- are you sure you have the latest release? I fixed that bug. :P

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

You can place the cheapo* $140 turret right before the ball hits the ground, with no intention of repairing or upgrading the turret (you can demolish it after the wave is over to get some money back).

Another tactic is to build up cheapo* lasers in the middle with full upgrades by the time of the boss wave. The boss mainly floats in the middle, so this will kill him fast.

Quote:

Those of you who insist it still crashes -- are you sure you have the latest release? I fixed that bug.

I think you should disregard my comment. I've played through several times without it freezing. I've always had this problem with allegro games freezing randomly for no reason (and I've started threads trying to figure out why this occurs).

*Guess I've dubbed it the "cheapo" laser. :D

------------

1   2   3   4 

Go to: