Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Programming vs. Video games

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Programming vs. Video games
Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

Being video game designers, we spend a lot of time programming our games. Many (if not all) of us are also avid video game players, including me.
Lately, I've found that I actually spend more time programming my games than actually playing video games. Out of curiosity, do you find this happening to yourself?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Well, I barely play games at all anymore. The last game I really invested much time into was the Wii version of Okami, and that was back in the spring.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

I've made the mistake of re-installing NeverWinter Nights and now I can barely find time to code :-[

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

If I had access to an XBox 360 for Fable: Lost Chapters (or whatever it's called), I would probably never see another IDE or text editor for weeks... Other than that, I spend 95% on programming and 5% on actually playing games. An exception might be temporal...

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Lately, I've found that I actually spend more time programming my games than actually playing video games. Out of curiosity, do you find this happening to yourself?

For a very, very, very, very, very, very, very long time. Doesn't help that video games are an expensive hobby I can't keep up with anymore.

Only game I played seriously (and still do from time to time) is World of Warcraft, because I can play it in bits and pieces and feel like I got something done. Finished Twilight Princess when my computer was crapping out. Other than that, I'm pretty much game free.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

I'm very much addicted to Team Fortress 2 right now, but I still find time to code. Homework is a different story.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

when i work on my game i play DOTA, crono trigger and FF7 for inspiration

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

If I had any games that worked on my computer (ancient hardware, Debian Linux software), then it might be a problem.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Lars Lindqvist
Member #9,342
December 2007

Definitely. To be honest, nowadays I rarely play games that doesn't involve programming. And the actual playing only occur when I test the addon/mod or whatever.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I actually play more now than I code now. However, I review the games and try to play popular games as that's a bit more relevant to my career path. In other words, for me, playing games is fun but I'm not always playing for fun.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

KnightWhoSaysNi
Member #7,339
June 2006

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Usually when I play games now, I can't help but obsess over design flaws (not necessarily saying I could do better).

I don't play many games these days. I kinda capped off with the PS2 era (with a much higher focus on the SNES era), and only visit the Wii for games like Brawl.

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Stupid, tooth-grindingly so, but addictive nontheless.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Don Freeman
Member #5,110
October 2004

I find myself programming as well...About the only game I play anymore at all is Fallout and Fallout 2. I was thinking of making an RPG along the lines of a Fallout kind of game. I like the whole "post apocalyptic" feel and such. I used to play Baldur's Gate (1 to 3), Icewind Dale (1 and 2), and Planescape: Torment. Every now and again I boot up some Typhoon Rising. About 98% of my time is just tinkering and programming....I don't know, I just like that more I guess.::)

--
"Everyone tells me I should forget about you, you don’t deserve me. They’re right, you don’t deserve me, but I deserve you."
"It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it."

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

I play games on and off. I recently got a Dreamcast (they're cheap), and I'm enjoying Jet Grind Radio and Soul Reaver at the moment.

Quote:

If I had access to an XBox 360 for Fable: Lost Chapters (or whatever it's called), I would probably never see another IDE or text editor for weeks...

Unfortunately, that game isn't nearly long enough. :-/

yozshura
Member #7,420
June 2006

My time is about 50% used up on homework(this weekend it's going to be 99% homework, 1% sleep) and the rest is club related stuff and hanging out with some of my friends. Though the past week I've been trying to get the last 2 trophies I need for Super Stardust

"Stupidity isn't punishable by death. If it was, there would be a hell of a population drop." -Anita Blake: PSN: leogorerd

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Quote:

Do both at the same time

There are all sorts of programming games. Core Wars is one, but there are others. I seem to recall one in which communication with the game took place via stdin/stdout, so you could use any language.

EDIT:
Another one is called AI Bots II. It's Googlable.

--

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

i dont program, but i do pirate many many many games only to play them for a few minutes

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I play quite a bit of Halo. And when I have a decent computer with a decent internet connection I play Guild Wars. Occasionally I'll throw in a strategy game like Civ III or Rome: Total War. But other than that I don't spend a whole lot of time gaming. Not that I use that extra time to program.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Quote:

I'm very much addicted to Team Fortress 2 right now, but I still find time to code. Homework is a different story.

Heh, me too. Which server do you play on?

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

This happened to me over a decade ago. I think Quake was the turning point, since it's a pretty awful game.

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

I'm not sure, I try to spend as much time as I can in front of the computer.
Sometimes I spend days programming and other times playing games.

Games these days are both expensive and booring, but I always try new and old games out when I get the time.

Oh, I recommend trying kings bounty: the legend, a new game that does NOT suck. :o

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

That was such a waste of time. :-/

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

For me it goes in cycles and phases.
You know it goes up and down kinda like our current global economy

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

It's not necessary games that distracts me, but yeah, I'm having trouble focusing on getting my projects done. It doesn't help that I have to spend most of my waking time at work, either. And this annoys me, because I have so many ideas I'd like to see done.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

1   2   3 

Go to: