Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Temporal - Full release!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Temporal - Full release!
kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Episode 10 is indeed a bit tricky, but some practice should do the trick.

Anatol334
Member #7,081
April 2006

I just finished playing the first eight levels, and it's a very fun game! Probably the best game in Allegro I've seen since Johann Pietz.

-------------------
My Projects

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

@Renboy:
If I'm getting it right, I need all three doors open at the same time, which means I need three instances in there, each one standing on a button. I can get one instance to push the boxes, two more to stand on two buttons, but the third instance (which stands on the third button) always gets stuck since there's no third box. ???
Call me stupid, but I'm lost.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Here's another small hint for episode 10: Jura gur obkrf ner bcravat gur qbbef gb gur ohggbaf, zber guna bar vafgnapr pna tb guebhtu ng n gvzr.

(edit) I decided to rot13 the hint so that I could encourage you to think about it again before reading it. As Renboy said, it is more rewarding to work it out on your own. Sometimes that may take days, but still more rewarding.

-----------

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

Yes, I can get all three instances inside, but the problem is getting the third one out. There's just not enough time to both press the button and get out of there before the door is closed, locking me forever.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Lbh fubhyq yrnir zber gvzr orgjrra gur gvzr lbh chfu gur svefg cbyloybpx guebhtu, naq gur gvzr lbh chfu gur frpbaq guebhtu.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

Just wanted to know if it's my timing that's so bad, or if I'm just doing something entirely stupid and missing a simple, obvious solution.
I guess it's the timing, after all. I have a plan that's supposed to work, but I mess up every time and either the three doors don't get opened at the same time, or I'm getting stuck. I'll just keep trying. ::)

Renboy
Member #9,703
April 2008

Ok.
Here is the full solution...
If at any point you see that you understand or think that you know what you need to do... just stop reading ;)

Hfr gur svefg vafgnapr gb chfu bayl n fvatyr oybpx vagb gur pbairlbe oryg, gura jnvg hagvy gung obk ernpurq gur raq, naq chfu gur frpbaq oybpx.

Tb onpx va gvzr orsber lbh rira chfurq gur svefg oybpx, naq gura, nf gur obk cnffrf guebhtu gur ornzf, cnff gur qbbef (yrsg gb evtug) hagvy lbh ernpu gur ynfg fjvgpu, naq jnvg ba vg - jnvg hagvy gur frpbaq obk bcraf gur ynfg qbbe (vg fgnlf bcra) naq tb bhg.

Tb onpx va gvzr whfg nsgre lbhe svefg gvzr geniry, sbyybj lbhe byqre vafgnapr gb gur qbbef - urer vf gur gevpxl cneg - jura n qbbe bcraf, OBGU vafgnaprf fubhyq tb guebhtu - vgf abg gung uneq vs lbh whfg xrrc chfuvat evtug.
Cnff gjb qbbef naq fgnaq ba gur zvqqyr fjvgpu - jnvg hagvy gur frpbaq obk bcraf gur qbbe gb gur evtug, naq gura rkvg gur punzoref.

Tb onpx va gvzr ntnva, guvf gvzr nsgre lbhe frpbaq gvzr geniry. Qba'g gel fdhrrmvat va gur punzoref juvyr gur svefg obk vf bcravat gur qbbef, lbh pna jnvg sbe gur frpbaq obk - bapr gung bcraf gur qbbe, dhvpxyl trg vafvqr, naq cerff gur fjvgpu nf ybat nf lbh pna - gura nf vg bcraf gur erfg bs gur qbbef, tb evtug hagvy lbh rkvg nf jryy (abgvpr, lbh jvyy unir gb fdhrrmr 3 vafgnaprf va bar fznyy ebbz ng fbzr cbvag).

Tb onpx va gvzr bar ynfg gvzr, guvf gvzr nsgre lbhe guveq gvzr geniry. Tb evtug gb gur qbbef ba gur evtug, naq jnvg hagvy nyy bgure vafgnaprf ner va cynpr naq bcra gubfr qbbef - jva!

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Finally found a way to pass Time Constraint with zero paradoxes!!. Just wanted to let you know that.

I was expecting my solution to be similar to Karadoc ~~'s solution but when I watched Karadoc ~~'s replay, I saw that it is actually very different.

This weekend I replayed the game and I got some nice results, but the idea to Time Constraint didn't want to show up... until today.

Renboy
Member #9,703
April 2008

I think I figured out a way to pass 10 (tight) with only 2 time travels (and of course, 0 paradoxes)... though a small part of it is extremely hard to perform...

And something completely different -
I'm gathering a list of requests for future versions of the game, you can check it out in the game's forums, and post if you have any more ideas.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I found a pretty easy way to pass Episode 10 with three time travels. But now that you mention it... yeah, it might be possible to do it with only two time travels.

[EDIT:] Or not. When I'd read your post, I thought that it might be possible to take down one of the polyboxes and use it to push one of the switches, but after a quick glimpse, it seems that you can't do that, so now I'm thinking that it's not possible to do it with only two time travels. Is it?.

Renboy
Member #9,703
April 2008

With 3 travels it is pretty easy yes.
But I just checked, and it's possible with only two as well...
I'll try to make it...

EDIT:

Made it! 8-)
An interesting trick!
Replay attached.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Should I watch it?...

Man, I'll give it a try first. But I have to say that I have no idea how you did it... you need three instances to push the switches at the same time and another one to exit the room...

Renboy
Member #9,703
April 2008

I can give you a poke in the right direction -

Gurer vf ab arrq gb bcra nyy 3 qbbef ng gur fnzr gvzr.

Yup, that's when the 'tight' becomes an understatement ;D

EDIT:

Not so related, I released a new version of the game (1.01) that includes the ability to run the game in windowed mode. (someone around here wanted it as well).
Neil Black: you might want to try it as well, maybe when not acquiring the entire screen, and not messing with the background/foreground abilities of vista, it will run more stable...

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Cool. I'm excited about windowed-mode play; changing resolutions often kills my other program dimensions, so this will be a good improvement!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

Neil Black: you might want to try it as well, maybe when not acquiring the entire screen, and not messing with the background/foreground abilities of vista, it will run more stable...

Success! I can has play now!

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

Renboy said:

I can give you a poke in the right direction...

Seems so simple now. I'll try it tomorrow for sure.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I am sticked at ep 10, but I will try me best before reading some spoilers.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I already passed Episode 10 with two time travels. It was really easy with the tip you posted, Renboy.

Now, what about Episode 12?. You can skip one time travel if you don't rescue the Milp, there's no trick there. The trick would be to pass the Episode and rescue the Milp using only one time travel. I think that it might be possible, but I haven't been able to pull it off yet. If it works, it will be one of the hardest replays to pull off.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I'm looking forward to checking out these new replays and trying the challenges you guys are talking about, but unfortunately my main computer broke a couple of days ago. (Some kind of hardware problem has made the computer somewhat unreliable for months. I'm not sure what the problem is. The most recent blue-screen crash has corrupted the Windows registry. So Windows won't start anymore. I'm not sure if it is worth trying to get it working again; it will probably just break again in a week or so.)

Maybe when I have the time I'll prepare some kind of boot CD or something so that I can copy my Temporal files onto my laptop. The issue is, I'm somewhat addicted to gaming. I usually try not to put games on my laptop, because otherwise I just end up playing games all day at work. :-/

-----------

blargmob
Member #8,356
February 2007

Very nice game! Addicting too! 8-)

---
"No amount of prayer would have produced the computers you use to spread your nonsense." Arthur Kalliokoski

Renboy
Member #9,703
April 2008

kenmasters1976:
That sounds very hard indeed... I'll try to look into that tomorrow.

Karadoc:
Sorry to hear about your computer... and now with the windowed version of the game, its more dangerous then ever :)
Hope you get your things sorted out soon - the record uploading site comes along nicely... ;)

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I managed to do X with two time travels. It's kind of funny. While playing through all the levels again for the official release I've been coming up with improved strategies for almost every episode. I remember thinking about episode X and deciding that I couldn't really improve on it. But once I heard here that it can be done with just two time travels it suddenly seemed easy.

I also managed to rescue the milp on XII with just 1 time travel. (replay attached). It was my first attempt at that, so the timing is pretty rough, but it worked. I spent much longer trying to get my 1-travel "Momentum" strategy to work. ... which reminds me, there was something else I wanted to try on that level.

(edit)
Just as I suspected... I did Momentum with 1 time travel again, but in a much easier way.

-----------

Renboy
Member #9,703
April 2008

OK people,
The records site is starting to take form...
But before I link it officially, it would be cool if you could try and upload your records so I can see if the basic framework that exists now is working right.

Notice, you will need version 1.02 for the records to work; I have attached the EXE of that version.
Please backup your original levels.dat before you run the new version, just in case

The main link to the temporary records site is http://www.potato-factory.com/temporal/main.php
There are several other pages, but you'll be able to find your way around via links.

Thanks!!

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I managed to rescue the Milp in Episode 12, too, with one time travel. It turned out to be much easier than I originally thought. My original idea involved some serious "precognition abilities" that were hard to pull off, but then I realized that it could be done much more easily.

Replay attached, but seriously, don't watch it if you want to find out a way to do it yourself. Part of the replay value of the game is finding new strategies for every level, so these replays can spoil that.

The part in the replay that involves the second metallic box was part of my original idea and not necessary for the simpler solution, but I decided to keep that.

Oh, and I'll upload my records.

1   2   3 

Go to: