Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Temporal - Full release!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Temporal - Full release!
Renboy
Member #9,703
April 2008

The beta phase is finally over (and it went very fast and efficient thanks to many people around here ;D)

And now its time for the real thing!

You can check out the 'official' site at http://www.potato-factory.com/temporal -
You will find a direct download link, and a rapidshare mirror if you prefer that instead.

This version (1.00) includes everything - all episodes, all bonus content, and will keep records and replays in the final format, so those will be able to be shared with the rest of the community (outside the boundaries of this site ;)).

Feel free to share this game with anyone you like (and even with people you don't like too much).

Some random screenshots:
{"name":"ss1.PNG","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/4\/944213ce532836ab195eeaad7261447d.png","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/4\/944213ce532836ab195eeaad7261447d"}ss1.PNG
{"name":"ss2.PNG","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/9\/7957960ae00d4c0e12a59eb4c8c4e42d.png","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/7\/9\/7957960ae00d4c0e12a59eb4c8c4e42d"}ss2.PNG
{"name":"ss3.PNG","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/e\/bea2cd46ccdf166b633684931890ac07.png","w":1024,"h":768,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/e\/bea2cd46ccdf166b633684931890ac07"}ss3.PNG

I want to thank everybody here again...
And also say that the Allegro library is kinda awesome and fun to work with.

Enjoy!

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

So this is finally it, the full release.

Thanks Renboy. Time to start playing it again. I'll look forward to uploading my records.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Excellent! Now how about that Linux version? ;)

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Looks great, I'll give it a go!

Would be nice to have the option to play in a window. Fullscreen mode kind of blocks everything else on screen, if you know what I mean. ;)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I was reading the other thread and had just decided to try this game out when I saw you made a final release thread. Sweet.

EDIT:

Not sweet. Blue screen of death. Twice, as soon as I start the program. In Vista.

Renboy
Member #9,703
April 2008

Neil:
Eep :-/
I have no idea what is wrong... I never heard about anybody that it happened to...
I did hear two problems that happened with Vista and the game - one is that the replays directory has a problem being created (fixed that problem), and the other is that alt-tabbing out of the game will make vista show the regular desktop and not Aero.
But in both cases the game worked perfectly fine otherwise...

Do you even get to the loading screen?
If you don't even get there... then all I do before that is just some allegro inits and maybe a file/directory creation or two...

Sorry :-/

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It goes into fullscreen mode, then dies and goes into bluescreen.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I've had one problem playing it under wine: the loading screen comes up, gets to 100%, and some of the time the game continues past that point. Other times, it just stays black, and I have to kill the program.

--

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

In the other thread, kenmasters1976 said:

Stacked with zero paradoxes?, THAT'll stun me!. The Stacked strategy I had in mind took me a painful amount of attempts to finally pull it off and get 3:29.xx and 1 paradox.

Yeah? Well prepare to be stunned and amazed by my most awesome replay yet! (or, if you like solving puzzles like I do, don't watch the replay and instead just take its mere existence as evidence that getting zero paradoxes is possible; then try to work it out).

As I expected, I'm not even close to beating the time you got in your replay, but I did achieve my goal: no paradoxes.

... actually. I've decided not to attach the replay here. I'm going to post it on the Temporal forum. We might as well give the forums there a bit of life since we are talking about the game and all.

[edit].. there might be a bug in the a.cc forum. I deleted the attachment before posting, but it still seems to be there. When I try to edit the post, it says there is no attachment, but it is still there in the thread. Oh well.

-----------

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

there might be a bug in the a.cc forum. I deleted the attachment before posting, but it still seems to be there. When I try to edit the post, it says there is no attachment, but it is still there in the thread. Oh well.

Yeah, that's a known bug.

Renboy
Member #9,703
April 2008

Doh... I'll actually need to pass much of the game to get to see your replays Karadoc...

sigh Oh well.
Here we go.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Yeah. I wondered if I was a bit premature (or over mature?) for posting that replay on the official forums. It'll probably be weeks before any non-beta players are up to that level of play. Maybe I should have posted something a little lighter to start with.

-----------

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Excellent game! congratulations!!!

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

Original and amusing game-play. The graphics and music are also very well done. Gotta love the humor. ;D
One of those games that just make me wonder "Wow, how did he come up with this?"

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

In the other thread, Karadoc ~~ said:

kenmasters1976, your Self Control replay is nuts! I've only watched it once, so I haven't worked out the details of how you did it, but I can see you that "faked"...

Yeah, that's why I said that I had cheated a bit. While you found an ingenious and clever solution for your zero paradoxes attempt, I just exploited that little issue.

In the other thread, Karadoc ~~ said:

I've got a suggestion about the replay system in general...

I had thought of something like that too, but in the end I just started renaming other people's replays as Ep#_Replay9.dat to identify them... until I myself reached up to 9 replays, then I renamed then to 90, 91, etc.. I thought that doing that and keeping note of what user submited which replay was enough.

In the other thread, Renboy said:

Sorry for giving away the trick you used in your replay...

No problem.

In this thread, Karadoc ~~ said:

Yeah? Well prepare to be stunned and amazed by my most awesome replay yet!...

Well, you got me stunned. Now I'm wondering (again) how'd yo do it. Now I'll have to try and figure out myself before watching your replay... you keep me going back to the game and keep playing it. I know a zero paradoxes solution can't be faster than the 1 paradox solution, but it must be a nice challenge to find out, so I'll give it a try.

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

@Stas B.

It's not hard to see how he thought of the game, the tricky thing is how he actually made it. I would say this game is a work of genius, and I'm still stuck on level... 12 or something, I think. Mostly because I've been working to clear every level with zero paradoxes on the first try.

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

It's hard for me to see how people come up with cool games, since I completely lack originality. :'(
I USED to have it, but now it's gone.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

Original and amusing game-play. The graphics and music are also very well done. Gotta love the humor. ;D
One of those games that just make me wonder "Wow, how did he come up with this?"

Quote:

I would say this game is a work of genius

This game sounds so freaking interesting. Damn you Vista and your blue screen of death!

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Damn you Vista and your blue screen of death!

I can run it fine, so it's not a Vista problem.

Renboy
Member #9,703
April 2008

That blue screen issue is disturbing... :-/

A friend of mine plays the game using vmware (but without sound..) - it's not related to any problem that he has, he just likes to play like that (maybe THAT's his real problem);
Anyway, if you have vmware by any chance, you might want to try it out... the virtual machine might shield vista from whatever horror happens when you run the game (though somehow I feel that it won't help much...).

Anyway,
Thanks for the cool comments, I did try to polish this game as much as I could - sometimes the fun is in the small details ;) (and the devil).
Stas: you are the first one to say anything about the weird humor :) I'm glad you liked it (I'm guessing some will find it annoying).

I've been trying to post this game on this site (as a project), with little luck - I think it says 'queued' now, does that mean it will eventually be processed somehow and posted?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

I think it says 'queued' now, does that mean it will eventually be processed somehow and posted?

Yep. Don't expect it to happen overnight though. ;)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

I can run it fine, so it's not a Vista problem.

I recently did a system restore, hopefully once I install service pack 1 it will fix the problem. Speaking of which, I need to do that this weekend.

Stas B.
Member #9,615
March 2008

Might be a little bit off-topic, but for the life of me, I can't figure out Episode 10 (In a Tight Spot)... Help? ???

Renboy
Member #9,703
April 2008

Much if the satisfaction is from finding a solution yourself, but here is a poke in the RIGHT direction ;)

Yes, all the instances that participate in the 'switch pressing' to open the doors can go from the left side to the right side... you only got two shots at opening each door though - and you need to squeeze 3 instances in there - so just give yourself enough time, and time your instances right.

Hope this helps...

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I never had trouble with "giving myself enough time," interestingly. After some tweaking, I developed a pattern where I spawn my instances 2.5 seconds apart: 0:04, 0:06, 0:09…

I was mildly annoyed when doing episode 10 the first time after the beta testing, and I skipped the skylift dialog as soon as it started. Leaving me on the ground with a lift that was not coming back :-/ Not that that should ever happen in normal play, though.

--

1   2   3 

Go to: