Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Vatican and aliens

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Vatican and aliens
Alan W.
Member #7,958
November 2006

Wow Ariesnl, you really are worse than me, arguing against scientists (and even spelling science!). My turn (meanwhile call a backup):

Finding a theory about how things work is easy, you can put neurons, genes, gods, all you want, what makes the difference is if it can make predictions.
Personally, I think this is the key of science over religion.

However, people talk about science like it were developed by people with good intentions, without selfish desires and with no personal idealization of the world, where the result of the work is a harmonious and clear theory.

This is not true, scientists, like most of humans, are very different, and we will burn you alive if you dare to argue the basis.

The result is that, areas like biology and education are very incompatible:
In example; if you don't like some kind of food, it is not necessarily because million of years of evolution, but maybe because you have taught yourself that you don't like it.

I have heard that in physics (but note that this is not my area), Lee Smolin says that String Theory sucks, while string thoerists says that Lee Smolin sucks.

The final objective of science is to find a unified theory about how the universe work, but we still have to see if such thing is possible.

---
[url http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/596362/748772#target]
I couldn't care less that you see me as a fool
[/url] - Thomas Fjellstrom

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Very nice Johan. Praise the Gator! :D

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

About the 1 + 1 = 2 thing:
Despite the fact that I consider myself agnostic, a being that can make 1 + 1 != 2 I could probably call 'god'. (And no, without using different bases or whatnot, one apple and one apple not equal to two apples) Shouls be possible for an infallible being. :)

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Besides, that doesn't make one apple plus two apples equal zero apples.

Fair enough. Still it would be interesting to see them trying to understand that there are three apples.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Johan said:

Holy Papallegroid!

That should be Johans new avatar!

:D

Quote:

Fair enough. Still it would be interesting to see them trying to understand that there are three apples.

They wouldn't care because they would know that <math>\mathbb Z_3</math> is a group and <math>[1]_3</math> is a subgroup of <math>\mathbb Z_3</math> and that <math>o([1]_3)</math> divides <math>o(\mathbb Z_3)</math>.

8-)

That's 'Lagranges Theorem'.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

@ imaxcs: Gaia can do that .. a male and a female can make more than 2 ;);D

@Alan W.: I'm the master of the typo :P

Shall I do a prediction ?...
To those who put profit in front of doing what is decent I say this:
"If you don't respect what was given to you, someone will get hurt.. and it won't be me".

actually this prediction has come out before, but some in this world are hard learners.

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Quote:

"If you don't respect what was given to you, someone will get hurt.. and it won't be me".

A prediction? Thats plain ol' bullshit. :)

I can do that too:

"If you do something bad, you will get hurt."

There are some problems here. If I do something bad and I DO get hurt, how do I know its because I did something bad? I mean, everyone gets hurt sometimes, so if a person did something bad they would eventually get hurt someday. Its this horoscope-like bullshit that bothers me.

Come out with something like this:

"If you take your grandmothers money and jewelery, you will get punched in the sack 3 times by a asian street rapper at noon in the 3rd Saturday of the year."

Now thats a prediction. I mean, sure, it can happen if you say it randomly, but theres a far lesser chance. Make predictions like that! :P

Oh... wait. What am I doing? Must be the coffee and late hour. ;D

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

A horoscope is just a detailed drawing of a certain constallation, nothing more.

about the rest of my post ... Do you actually read the newspaper ?

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Of course not. Newspapers store evil in them, evil demons that is. I only read them if I do a ritual of Ankjukta first, but that takes too long for reading a simple newspaper. :-/

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

you can also clean it with fire..

;D;D;D :P

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

Quote:

@ imaxcs: Gaia can do that .. a male and a female can make more than 2 ;);D

That's cheating in the same way using different bases is. ::)

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

1 pile of apples + 1 pile apples = 1 pile of apples.

At a certain level, religion and mathematics are both tied into the concept of unity. The most interesting number philosophically is 1.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: