Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [Speedhack] Fury of the Sky God

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[Speedhack] Fury of the Sky God
Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Here is my SpeedHack 2007 entry, Fury of the Sky God:

http://images.cellosoft.com/zeratul/sh07_final01.pnghttp://images.cellosoft.com/zeratul/sh07_final02.pnghttp://images.cellosoft.com/zeratul/sh07_final03.pnghttp://images.cellosoft.com/zeratul/sh07_final04.pnghttp://images.cellosoft.com/zeratul/sh07_final05.png

The address that I linked to last night seems to be having some problems, so I have re-uploaded the file (with the source, as well, it previously only had binaries) to cellosoft. Here:

win32 binary+source: http://files.cellosoft.com/zeratul/fotsg_bin.zip

It builds fine on MSVC2005, mingw32 and Linux, and just requires Allegro and the loadpng library (as well as libpng and zlib, naturally). Optionally, you can use fblend on Windows to make some effects faster.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Yours was one of the first entries I played. I enjoyed it a lot, I was really impressed with how professional it seemed.

Two gripes, though: a little difficult to identify priests, and the HUD is not that helpful because it's tiny, blends in, and is hard to decode in the heat of terrorizing people.

Still, not anything bad enough to keep me away. ;) I expect I'll be coming back to this one in the future.

Norebo
Member #5,930
June 2005

The game is rather nice!
I like the graphics and the little details, like for example the peasants swimming back to their island when they fall into the water.

I got only 140 points in my first try :-[ .
I think I'll have to exercise a bit more!

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

At first, the controls are quite hard to get used to... but after a few minutes, you'll probably think that the game is too easy and will be doing 5000+ points. ;)

[EDIT] I just got 12k points :)... Got to level 9

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Your game inspired me to look back into FBlend. Can the library load PNGs from DAT files? (Cool game, by the way, though it will take me some time to get used to the controls as well.)

Norebo
Member #5,930
June 2005

My best score is now 1800 points.
Probably, I'm too tired from the Speedhack weekend ;)
I'll try again, tomorrow!

Næssén
Member #5,025
September 2004

This is my favourite game entry so far. The visual effects are great and the game itself is quite fun.

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

The game is quite polished and shows nice effects, but I suck at it. My best score so far is ~2000, and I've played it several times.

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Hint 1: Take your time... especially at the start, you have plenty of it. Find a good group of people of the kind that you need to capture and wait for a gate to wander above. Then simply throw them up and the gate will capture them.

Hint 2: Make sure that there are no priests near the area you are sucking people from... if necessary, scare the people away (and into water, if you must). Priests never run away from you.

Hint 3: You are immune to gates while time is frozen - you can use this to your advantage by dragging several people directly over the gate, releasing them, and leaving the area before the spell is over.

Hint 4: The same goes for projectiles when fighting demons - even though THEY are immune to time stop, you can just ram into them while carrying peasants to harm them, during a timestop, since there's no risk of you being hit by their incoming projectiles. Just beware that all the projectiles spawned during the spell will start moving at once after it's over, so you might get the screen flood with them.

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

I find this game really interesting. Technically, I think it's the only game using alpha sprites in this speedhack, and I liked the graphics.
The music and the graphics create a weird atmosphere. This is my favorite game so far.
The game run well and smoothly even in the highest resolution, did you compile the windows binary using Fblend?

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Quote:

The game run well and smoothly even in the highest resolution, did you compile the windows binary using Fblend?

Yes, although the transparent sprites are usually visible regardless of resolution, so it doesn't matter that much, I think. It runs slowly here, though, because Normal Resolution already nearly maxes my XP 2200+ :(.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

After playing all the entries, I've determined that this one is my favorite.

Anyone else notice a fair bit of the entries were religiously-themed? Just an observation.

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

Kibiz0r said:

Anyone else notice a fair bit of the entries were religiously-themed? Just an observation.

What has practically been giving birth to evil?.. that's right.. religion!

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

I was thinking more like religion provides very strong archetypes for good and evil, in a sense that is far beyond the gray-area we deal with every day. But okay.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

:P (in regards to Kibiz0r)

I must be in a minority. I did not enjoy this game. The graphics are nice, but that's where my enjoyment stopped. It seemed to go a bit too fast for me. The text was obnoxious and it didn't seem to add to the gameplay. I found the "old English" (in quotes because it's not really old English, but people commonly mistakenly call this style that. I don't recall what the style is called) to be obnoxious to read. I never enjoyed playing Ultima because of this.

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

That style was picked because of the obvious biblical references (the town names, the punishment for those sins, etc)... King James Version is written in that sort of English.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

The graphics and music are good, and there's some interesting graphical effects. If the resolution is too low, there's not much room to see what's going on.

Also, it would be nice if the titlescreen (or a help-screen) would show which are the priests and which are the types of people you want to send to hell. Otherwise, I have to work this out myself.

The game can be expanded by having more types of people (eg people who are immune to the sucking (unless the time-freeze spell is active) but try and grab hold of people who get sucked to prevent them from being sucked into hell).

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Quote:

Also, it would be nice if the titlescreen (or a help-screen) would show which are the priests and which are the types of people you want to send to hell. Otherwise, I have to work this out myself.

Well, I originally planned to have a help screen, but I was too exhausted by that time to implement something like that... so I opted out of it. You can see what's the "current target" on the HUD, but, yeah, I guess that priests are not obvious at first.

Quote:

The game can be expanded by having more types of people (eg people who are immune to the sucking (unless the time-freeze spell is active) but try and grab hold of people who get sucked to prevent them from being sucked into hell).

Well, another idea that occurred to me was to merge it with Bunkermaster into some Bunkermaster vs Fury of the Sky God. ;)

But I don't think that many people would be interested in seeing further development for this game, so I probably won't have much motivation to touch it again.

Go to: