Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What thoughts keep you up at night?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
What thoughts keep you up at night?
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom said:

Heh, I have around 6k on one of my dad's credit cards. I owe about 25k+ to my mom for my "manufactured home", and a 10k student loan. I'm having fun! ;D

Haha, you're one to judge. ;)

Vanneto said:

Judging a country you havent seen, or probably heard of. - Wrong
Judging a man by his sentences. - Very right

And what country did I judge? ???

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Im not going to argue with you. You effectively coined it as less than the U.S.A. which is offending to me.

If you dont know what country im talking about, then you dont read my posts.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I don't think he was trying to be insulting. I think he was just saying that the cost of living in the United States is higher than in many countries, which is true.

Quote:

If nobody wants to live in a particular region they aren't going to pay the same to live there as they would pay in a better region

While there may be some truth to this, it's mostly just ignorant. Yes, people will generally want to pay less to live somewhere they don't really like, but that isn't the reason the cost of living is higher in America. It's higher here because it's a capitalist economy and people have more money to exploit here than in many third-world nations, so often we get charged more. Any country with a good economy is going to have a higher cost of living.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Vanneto said:

Im not going to argue with you. You effectively coined it as less than the U.S.A. which is offending to me.

If you dont know what country im talking about, then you dont read my posts.

I didn't mean to imply anything about your own country. I know absolutely nothing about Slovenia. My comments were in reply to Thomas Fjellstrom. I was simply pointing out that if it costs a lot of money for people to live in a particular region then that region is probably in high demand.

Neil Black said:

While there may be some truth to this, it's mostly just ignorant. Yes, people will generally want to pay less to live somewhere they don't really like, but that isn't the reason the cost of living is higher in America. It's higher here because it's a capitalist economy and people have more money to exploit here than in many third-world nations, so often we get charged more. Any country with a good economy is going to have a higher cost of living.

There is some truth to that, but if you didn't want to live where you live in the United States and could be paying less elsewhere then you would probably leave. I think the cost of living is also proportional to the region's income.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Haha, you're one to judge. ;)

See, I know because I'm one of those people in debt ;)

Really though, the only bit that will adversely affect my credit is the Student loan.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I said:

You really don't read posts, do you baccaig?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I'm entitled to miss things too. :):-[

It always seems to be something convenient to your point of view that you miss :P

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

He has selective seeing.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

He has selective seeing.

Yeah... but we all do at one point or another ;)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Yes but his has evolved beyond the point of normal humans. He's the next step in human evolution! NOOO!!!!

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

manjula said:

$10 that is going to turn into a passionate religion debate.

It's starting to look like you'll be forking over that $10.. :P

-----------

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Everyone's busy with Speedhack, the forums are almost dead right now. I don't understand it, we have over 9,000 members and yet when a few dozen are busy there's no one here.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

This thread got real stupid since last I looked at it.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Threads here tend to do that.

Specter
Member #8,535
April 2007

Truth of the matter is, I do have a real thing that keeps me up at night. My wife has a muscular dystrophy and my son has been diagnosed as having the same thing. So my fear that keeps me up a lot at night is worrying and wondering if my son's MD is going to kick in more or stay away for several years to give him a normal childhood.

Specter
Specter Entertainment
"The icy chill of death has consumed me."

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

Thats...the most sensible thing I've heard on religion. The bible does seem kinda like a prank- the earth is 6000 yrs old lololololololol!!!!11!

Really, so little of the bible makes sense (rivers of blood anyone?) and people still blindly follow this three thousand year old book.

Of course, 56% of people make Copernicus cry.

Shows how much you know. The Old Testament is somewhat outdated and obsoleted by the New Testament, which is roughly 2000 years old.

Quote:

Seriously, I already own my own home, and property tax is only about $200-300 a year for it. Although there's a lot of development nearby so property values and property taxes might rise. And utilities cost less then $200 a month for four people, although it's been awhile since that many people lived there, the prices haven't gone up much since then.

How do you already own your own home? You're lucky. :P

Quote:

Well I'm not going to have any credit card debt to worry about, because I'm not getting a credit card. I do have a debit card with my checking account, though. But I know enough not to overdraw it, except maybe a little by accident.

Credit cards are a necessary evil. You really should get one, use it for your purchases, and pay it off the in the same month. That's how you build your credit. You need credit for most things... getting a cellphone, buying a car, etc. Credit cards are good tools, IF you know how to use them properly. Most people don't, though, and see it as a free blob of money.

Kwame Alexander
Member #3,759
August 2003

The fact that my SpeedHack entry doesn't compile properly using the makefile (due to a tiny oversight on my part) kept me up last night>:(

--------------------------
"Be yourself and it'll just happen," - Traditional litany against success

manjula
Member #3,569
June 2003

Specter said:

Truth of the matter is, I do have a real thing that keeps me up at night. My wife has a muscular dystrophy and my son has been diagnosed as having the same thing. So my fear that keeps me up a lot at night is worrying and wondering if my son's MD is going to kick in more or stay away for several years to give him a normal childhood.

I understand this one. They found something in my son's brain and we used to stay up and worry. Now we just enjoy the time we have with him and try to keep him as happy as possible.

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

Quote:

Death Gauge? Is that you?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

How do you already own your own home? You're lucky.

I inherited it when my dad died. Not so lucky.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Quote:

You need credit for most things... getting a cellphone, buying a car, etc.

Didn't. Didn't. The only thing I need my credit card for is to order stuff from places where the banking system is outdated. cough*US*cough

You don't deserve my sig.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Quote:

Shows how much you know. The Old Testament is somewhat outdated and obsoleted by the New Testament, which is roughly 2000 years old.

The New Testament is a few decades short of 2000 years :)
And anyway, it is already obsoleted by the ~15 years old "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy"*

*-As a series, not just the first book.

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

Specter said:

Parallel/Alternate Reality Theory: This is the theory that says there are realities running parallel to our own. In these realities things are like our own but due to different set events have changed compared to ours. (This is the what I'm talking about.)

It may sound like bad science fiction, but it keeps me up because of the fact that if it were real then that means that a scientist in one of the realities may be finding a way to break through the barriers and go to the other realities. That is why I said that in some realities our fantasy and fiction may be reality.

If that is true, there are quite possibly an uncountably large numbers of alternate realities. Even things that seem completely inconsequential require many decisions to be made, and if the paralell-universe theory is true, each decision will branch reality. Now, assuming someone can make a single decision once every unit of Planck time (that's 10^-44 seconds), then in just one second, they are responsible for creating 10^44 alternate realities (not counting the alternate realities their newly-created alternate selves created in that second ended up creating in the remainder of that second). Now, if each individual lifeform can cause realities to split, then multiply that number by the number of lifeforms. This means that if any of the paralell universes contain an evil genius who has developped the ability to cross into a different reality, the chances they will cross over into your reality are extremely tiny (although once the evil genius has decided to put his plans into action, that clones the evil genius several times over, but even so, that's still a tiny drop in the big ocean that is the multiverse).

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

When I can't sleep, I think about space hardware, and my plan to conquer the Solar System. It's cold and quiet and dark in space, so it works really well as an insomnia cure.

On the subject of the cost of childeren. With current house prices, it is cost effective to have a child or two to sweep the chimneys. Midgets are too scarce and valuable these days.

Go to: