Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What thoughts keep you up at night?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
What thoughts keep you up at night?
Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

If you want that many kids, why not become a sperm donor?

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Or you can ask piccolo to help with the sperm and the women.

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

Holy CRAP you want a lot of kids. I want two. For a couple reasons- money, one kid can have problems, more kids are hard to deal with...and overpopulation.

Quote:

What thoughts keep you up at night?

Lets see...death. I was a semi-religious person. Church Sundays, praying before bed, all that jazz. (note: I was also empathetic and nice and stuff) Then people were dying left and right, family stopped talking to us (my uncle is most likely insane, my mothers side is mostly drug addicted delinquents, and my fathers side stopped talking to us just because we had little in common), stuff was pretty suck.

So I became really introverted (previously extroverted). I rarely talked, spent a lot of time in my room, was emotional. (the real kind...::)) Then I get to go to therapy. Therapy was pretty fun...he had candy. No, seriously, that was the main draw- that candy and these odd, cylinder pillows. I pretty much dozed on the couch, hugging those pillows, while he asked me stuff (I was...um...9 or 10 years old?). I don't really think it was that useful...I just learned to hide stuff better. So, my parents took me out of therapy when it stopped being covered by health care.

Then I became immersed in current events and religion- trying to figure out wtf was up with it. I mean, what do you really hear that is good about religion? Give or take...jack. So that was pretty much when I lost my faith.

The icing on the cake was probably doing the Bible in freshman year (high school). I was reading it, and we were talking about evolution, Darwin, that stuff. It hit me- none of this made any sense. Faith doesn't cut it for me. A three thousand year old book is not how I should justify my existance.

I don't really believe in a God, so the thought of death is crazy scary. Mostly at night. I mean, does what we do really make a difference? I'd probably rather go to Hell for not believing than cease to exist.

Actually, I am not sure what I believe. But it definately isn't an Abramatic God.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

TestSubject said:

The icing on the cake was probably doing the Bible in freshman year (high school).

Dude, I hope you wore protection.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

Quote:

Hell for not believing than cease to exist

If God truly would send you to hell for trusting your senses and logic, I'd rather spend eternity alongside likeminded people than with a bunch of ignorant fools.

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

And thus the science geeks rebelled and conquered hell!

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

mEmO said:

If God truly would send you to hell for trusting your senses and logic, I'd rather spend eternity alongside likeminded people than with a bunch of ignorant fools.

Don't tell anyone I told you this, but God told me that the real way to find peace in the afterlife is to not believe in god, and to focus on 'evidence based faith'. The whole bible mumbo-jumbo and all that is just a 'test of faith'. ;)
shh it's a secret.

-----------

TestSubject
Member #8,989
August 2007

Thats...the most sensible thing I've heard on religion. The bible does seem kinda like a prank- the earth is 6000 yrs old lololololololol!!!!11!

Really, so little of the bible makes sense (rivers of blood anyone?) and people still blindly follow this three thousand year old book.

Of course, 56% of people make Copernicus cry.

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

There are quite a few good ideas in the Bible as well though.

manjula
Member #3,569
June 2003

$10 that is going to turn into a passionate religion debate.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

$10 that, after all the arguing and the huge flame war, nothing changes and nobody believes differently.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Black said:

well I want an early start because i want a lot of kids. Like, 6-7 at the minimum.

:o JESUS CHRIST! WHAT THE FUCK!? Do you know that on average every child costs approximately $10,000.00 per year!? :o IIRC, that's in USD and might have been before the dollar dropped. The more children you have the less you'll be able to afford for your children to have. Not to mention, some children have health issues that could cost a LOT more. So for 7 children you'll need to make approximately $70,000.00 + whatever it costs for yourselves and to pay your bills, etc. That would be with a broke-ass car and falling apart piece of shit house. If you want to have a nice car and house, you're looking at much more. And to make that kind of money you'll need an education that will start you off with a nice sum of debt. Good luck. ::)

mEmO said:

Well said.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig:
I'm not planning on having them all at once. And obviously I won't have more than I can afford, so I might not end up with as many as I want. I know kids are expensive, and I know what it's like to not have enough money to get by and I won't have more kids than I can afford to support well. But my goal is to make enough to support a large family. $70,000 a year isn't much more than some computer science majors make right out of school (although I'm not sure about how many actually get those good jobs), and I'll probably be waiting a while after the second one before I can afford more.

But I still want them.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I wouldn't mind having two or three kids at some point. :)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

@bamccaig, you can live with so much kids. In our family there are 6 kids. We live very good. We have 5 televisions (1 is a plasma), 3 dvd players, playstation 2, food for a whole army, all in a school ( ok, 1 has moved out already, 1 is in university. ). We are categorized as 'middle-classed' as far as wealt goes. Thats in our country, and its not even America.

Quote:

The icing on the cake was probably doing the Bible in freshman year (high school). I was reading it, and we were talking about evolution, Darwin, that stuff. It hit me- none of this made any sense. Faith doesn't cut it for me. A three thousand year old book is not how I should justify my existance.

WELCOME! Welcome my friend, to the dark side! May Darwin be with you!

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Thats in our country, and its not even America.

Which is why its probably so affordable :P

People like to think America is so great and rich, when in reality, most people are in debt up to their eye balls, and can barely afford their rent let alone anything else.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It costs a lot of money to live in the hills of Hollywood, but that's because of how nice of a place it is to live. It wouldn't make sense if the cost of living for a rich, free nation was the same as a third world nation... ::)

Most people aren't up to their eye balls in debt. Only the stupid ones that don't know how to manage money, etc. For every million you hear about with x problem there are millions more without it.

Keep in mind that America has almost 10 times the population of our little nation. :)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I HAVE NO RENT! /drama

Seriously, I already own my own home, and property tax is only about $200-300 a year for it. Although there's a lot of development nearby so property values and property taxes might rise. And utilities cost less then $200 a month for four people, although it's been awhile since that many people lived there, the prices haven't gone up much since then.

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Quote:

It costs a lot of money to live in the hills of Hollywood, but that's because of how nice of a place it is to live. It wouldn't make sense if the cost of living for a rich, free nation was the same as a third world nation...

Sure, I would love to live in Hollywood ( thats in Los Angeles, right? ) where the smog is so thick, you can cut it with a knife. But im not going to argue with you. The fact that so many foreign people are buying up land in Slovenia because of its beauty surely means nothing...

P.S.

Quote:

It wouldn't make sense if the cost of living for a rich, free nation was the same as a third world nation...

This sentence gave me a very bad opinion about you. Who are you to judge other nations as you dont even know if what they are like?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

So for 7 children you'll need to make approximately $70,000.00 + whatever it costs for yourselves and to pay your bills, etc.

My parents raised more with (far) less. :P

Quote:

Most people aren't up to their eye balls in debt.

The average American has over $8,000 in credit card debt. (source) Granted, the median is probably far less than that, but most people do basically live "paycheck to paycheck."

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Vanetto said:

Sure, I would love to live in Hollywood ( thats in Los Angeles, right? ) where the smog is so thick, you can cut it with a knife. But im not going to argue with you. The fact that so many foreign people are buying up land in Slovenia because of its beauty surely means nothing...

I was mostly replying to Thomas Fjellstrom,... ::)

Vanetto said:

This sentence gave me a very bad opinion about you. Who are you to judge other nations as you dont even know if what they are like?

Maybe you're making assumptions and judging me based on them. The fact is that the cost of living is largely based on the demand for residency. If nobody wants to live in a particular region they aren't going to pay the same to live there as they would pay in a better region (unless they absolutely have to). Contrarily, if they do want to live in a particular region they'll be willing pay more than they would for a region they are forced to live in.

Matthew Leverton said:

Granted, the median is probably far less than that, but most people do basically live "paycheck to paycheck."

I think that's the same for Canada too though.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Well I'm not going to have any credit card debt to worry about, because I'm not getting a credit card. I do have a debit card with my checking account, though. But I know enough not to overdraw it, except maybe a little by accident.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Heh, I have around 6k on one of my dad's credit cards. I owe about 25k+ to my mom for my "manufactured home", and a 10k student loan. I'm having fun! ;D

--

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Quote:

Maybe you're making assumptions and judging me based on them.

Judging a country you havent seen, or probably heard of. - Wrong
Judging a man by his sentences. - Very right

Go to: