Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » What thoughts keep you up at night?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
What thoughts keep you up at night?
Specter
Member #8,535
April 2007

I've often thought about many things at night when I can't sleep. There is one thing, though, that truly keeps me up thinking about it at night. If you believe in science, then you also believe in parallel dimensions and alternate realities (think Sliders tv series). The thought that keeps me up is, since I believe in alternate realities, if all our fiction is fantasy, then there must be a reality where our fantasy is real.

The reason I worry about this at night is because of one thing. If the said realities are real, then one of those advanced realities has a scientist or dictator working on some device to go to the other realities, and if they have made such a device, how long til everything we know as fantasy is burned asunder to reveal a new truth?

Specter
Specter Entertainment
"The icy chill of death has consumed me."

arrowhen
Member #8,829
July 2007

Quote:

If you believe in science, then you also believe in parallel dimensions and alternate realities (think Sliders tv series).

Um... you do?

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

So... You think about bad science fiction when you can't sleep?

???

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

The 'many worlds' interpretation of quantum mechanics is just one of many. We don't know which interpretation is correct, or if any are.

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

Quote:

If you believe in science, then you also believe in parallel dimensions and alternate realities (think Sliders tv series). The thought that keeps me up is, since I believe in alternate realities, if all our fiction is fantasy, then there must be a reality where our fantasy is real.

I think there are some false inferences going on here...

Even if there are "alternate realities", there is no science that I am aware of that would imply that there is a reality where our fantasy is real... Just because these alternate realities could be anything doesn't mean that there will be one for everything, even if there are infinitely many of them.
The so called many worlds interpretation of QM certainly does not claim that there is a reality where our fantasy is real. In fact, for many worlds, the assumption is basically that the laws of physics is the same for all those worlds. The only differences are the different outcomes from various quantum measurements.

What usually keeps me up at night is the noise that the people downstairs are making.

-----------

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Specter
Member #8,535
April 2007

I apologize for all the assumptions. It is just I saw a discovery science special a few weeks ago and all the scientists agreed that, "We (the scientific community) would have to be fools to think we are alone in the universe. Likewise, we would be foolish to think our reality is the only one." The scientist who said this was the one in charge of NASAs warp speed testing (is that still going on though?). The special had the scientists in a room asking them questions where they all got to say their opinion, surprisingly everyone agreed with his quote.

Now that I stated my source as to why I made the above assumption about science, let me tell my logic for thinking the way I do. I was thinking that if these realities are infinite like scientist theorize, then that means that in one I'm a game programmer, in another I'm a serial killer, yet another I'm a bum, yet another I'm rich, I'm a president, etc. So it brings to reason that if the realities have alternate persons, then there are realities where are fiction is reality maybe not with the ficticious names we gave them though. For example there may very well be a reality where there is a Federation of Planets, Klingons, etc but there may not be a James T. Kirk, Picard, Riker, etc.

This is why I lose sleep once in a while, because if these realities do exist. Then what is to keep the advanced realities from figuring out how to reality jump? Granted this could be good or bad, depending of course.

Specter
Specter Entertainment
"The icy chill of death has consumed me."

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

I still think it sounds like bad science fiction; if the 'me' in another reality is a serial killer than that's not really me is it?

Have you heard this one? It goes: if the Universe is truly infinite that means there are regions of space with precisely the same structure and state as our local area; ie there are infinite Earths in an infinite Universe, with infinite people and all the variations that our choices entail. Your evil dictator is in THIS Universe; you don't need to rely on 'alternate realities'.

:o

Kwame Alexander
Member #3,759
August 2003

Quote:

Is there an Act of Dog?;D

--------------------------
"Be yourself and it'll just happen," - Traditional litany against success

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

nonnus29 said:

Have you heard this one? It goes: if the Universe is truly infinite that means there are regions of space with precisely the same structure and state as our local area; ie there are infinite Earths in an infinite Universe, with infinite people and all the variations that our choices entail. Your evil dictator is in THIS Universe; you don't need to rely on 'alternate realities'.

Yeah.. I've heard that one. I remember spending quite a bit of effort debunking it on a different forum. :P

The problem is that there is no saying what fills that infinite universe. There's no reason why it should have repeating version of us, or different version or anything else for that matter. It may just be an infinite amount of empty space (for example).

-----------

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

I'll see your "many worlds interpretation",
and raise you "the hidden varible consideration".

www.justanotherturn.com

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

boobs

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

The thoughts that keep me up at night are the ones that involve making cups of tea and smoking fags.

Does anyone really believe in parallel universes or do they just like the idea ?
I bet travel agents are keen on it, and unemployed journalists.

Today in Beta 10017, Sauron finally made peace with the west of middle earth in order to counteract the ongoing insurgency from Beta 10018 by the forces of Ganon.
Flights from Heathrow to the shire have all been cancelled.

Where's the evidence they exist ? I thought science was evidence based.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

What [thoughts] keep you up at night?

Finishing my current work project!
It is not all that fun to be on-site for over a week trying to get something to work. I think I've had around 15h of sleep since Saturday morning. I'm not sure if it is a good thing or not but at the moment after being up for well over 30h for the second "day" in a row I'm not feeling all that sleepy. If I survive another week or two more of this and someone complains to me that his/her work is tough I can tell what kind of work I've done ;D

As for the universe stuff, I don't think about it when I go to sleep, I'm usually way too tired and fall asleep in a couple of minutes. It sucks to have only 24h in a day.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

William Labbett said:

The thoughts that keep me up at night are the ones that involve making cups of tea and smoking $#%@.

Mehehe, in North America that doesn't mean the same thing. :D

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Usually it's the excess sugar which keeps me up. Last night however, it was my roommate. I came in at 10:30 (22:30 US time) and he was in the living room reading. He recently acquired a laptop with a wireless and wired connection so I asked him (my fault) if he was able to go online. I went to bed thinking he would let me know in the am. Two minutes later as I lay in bed, he comes upstairs looking for me. He was able to disable the wireless connection but could not establish a connection. His laptop was trying to acquire an ip address already in use. I went through XP's network connections wizard and was able to get him going.

Quote:

The thoughts that keep me up at night are the ones that involve making cups of tea and smoking $#%@.
Mehehe, in North America that doesn't mean the same thing.

He probably never heard the term tea bagging either. Hehehe.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

madpenguin
Member #2,201
April 2002

Finishing my current project tops the list, but rethinking the day's events (did I use the time allotted to its fullest potential, was I kind to others, etc.) and worrying about the war place highly.

Sometimes, I have nights where I wonder if things I've done years ago have been horrid mistakes and if I (and maybe the world) would have been better off if I'd have chosen a different path, and I end up not sleeping at all.

---------------------------------------------
Cynicism field generator is enabled and operating at 97% of capacity

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

What keeps me up at night? Well, last night nothing, really, but the fire drill at 5:30 in the morning sure got me up.

Quote:

Sometimes, I have nights where I wonder if things I've done years ago have been horrid mistakes and if I (and maybe the world) would have been better off if I'd have chosen a different path, and I end up not sleeping at all.

Read this

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Bah, mistakes are underrated. How would you learn anything if you didn't make any mistakes?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I've learned a lot from other people's mistakes. Like don't drop out of school, which almost all of my anscestors taught me. I'll be the first one in my family to complete college, and the reason I want to finish college so much is because I've seen what life is like when you don't have a college degree.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Right now, what's keeping me up is the entire first season of Transformers: Beast Wars. 8-)

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

I'm kept up by the urge to post a meaningless post to a programming forum that makes absolutely no contribution to the advancement of civilisation.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Everything contributes to the advancement of civilization. Some things directly improve civilization, and other things just teach us what not to do.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

because I've seen what life is like when you don't have a college degree.

You can lead that same life with a college degree too. That piece of is meaningless if the you doesn't have the nous, gumption or attitude to make decent use of it.

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

The nous, gumption or attitude is useless without that piece of paper, unless you think of something truly innovative.

Go to: