ixilom
Member #7,167
April 2006

bamccaig, just stop okay.

Ceagon Xylas
Member #5,495
February 2005

Quote:

There are some churches that target youths using modern gimmicks to capture their attention.

Not really their aim. They're modern, but they don't really try to trick you into coming, or promise you things like pizza, entertainment, etc :P They pretty much just offer the truth, and if you wanna come, go for it.

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Quote:

They're also considered by many to be a relatively small user base in a lot of cases and so accessibility is less of a priority.

I would think accessability is far more important for a church and other kinds of charitable institution.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Quote:

pizza, entertainment

I'm there.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Andrei Ellman
Member #3,434
April 2003

I also agree that they should drop the Flash - for reasons mentioned previously in the thread. For older computers, Flash may grind them to a halt. Also, I find that if I have toomany tabs open with Flash, it contributes significantly to my computer slowing down. For this reason, some people have installed the Flashblock extension that prevents flash from loading. If they use whitelists instead of blacklists, they will not see a flash-only site at all.

Once upon a time, the way to access the World Wide Wonderweb was using a VT100 terminal that could display 80x24 characters. While not as exciting as a graphical browser, if you designed your website to be accessible from Lynx (a text-based webbrowser), it could be rendered on any type of browser. The best way to do that would be to focus solely on the logical layout of the information. As well as text-based and graphical browsers, it was also possible to sonically render a webpage - that is, get it to be spoken so that blind people (or anyone who wants to listen instead of read) could access the information as well.

The point is that because HTML's logical layout is standardised, if you follow the rules, your website can be accessible on any medium. Just pipe the HTML to the rendering engine. With flash, it's not that straightforward. How would you convert that snazzy graphical effect into sound, and if that can't be done, will it lose any information? Flash does have it's uses, but if it can be done with HTML, use HTML. As a general rule, I test my websites out using Lynx to see if all the information is accessible. I then add CSS and extra media to spice it up for those who can support it.

AE.

--
Don't let the illegitimates turn you into carbon.

Ceagon Xylas
Member #5,495
February 2005

Quote:

I'm there.

There's about 20,000 other churches that suit your... 'needs.'

1   2   3 

Go to: