Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » My balls are lagging!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
My balls are lagging!
Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

I'm back after a few weeks of WoW(shame on me) to battle with my problems once again, but no mather how much i try, the result is always the same. I've added an attachment with a very simple and small thing i wrote this afternoon, it includes the most simple routines and uses triplebuffering(should use). the thing is.. i can't get the moving objects to stop lagging around! and i'm staring to wonder if this is a problem that only i'm cursed with. In the program you can se 4 balls moving thowards the right edge of the screen with different speeds, the green ball moves one pixel every frame, while the others are fixed by time, as you can see (IF this problem applies to you) is that the brown-yellow ball sometimes lags and moves back veryfast(and so does the others balls).. any idea why this happens?.

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Quote:

My balls are lagging!

Oh, really?

I didn't download the attachment (too lazy to set it up), but it could be the timer code, I'm guessing.

mscava
Member #6,815
January 2006

This is normal issue( for me )... some kind of minilags... You'll never get you app perfectly smooth. As I know PAGE_FLIPPING is smoother than DOUBLE_BUFFERING. I know this is very annoying, but you'll get used to. And players won't notice... Thay pay much more attention to the game.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

If you want help, post the source, not a binary. :P

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

cdxrd
Member #7,061
March 2006

I can also say, it sure doesnt exit very gracefully either.. At work and upon exit, had to resize every window back to full screen instead of a 400x300 some odd size in the upper left.. ah well.

Mr. Big
Member #6,196
September 2005

"My balls are lagging!"
Maybe I drink too much coffee, but that title has me histerically laughing!
Oh well... Ten minutes ago I was laughing my butt off at a screenshot of a game with a box in it, with the notes "Danger: Box"...

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

Archon: time..coding?... :S.

mscava: ok. i don't like double buffering because of the increment of the lagg... but i used triplebuffering for that very reason.. to make it more smooth. :(

gnolam: well, i thought the problem was better displayed like this ^^.

cdxrd: dosen't exit gracefully.. interesting.
i actually let a necessary file out of the picture.. i thought it would do without :S.. maybe that's the cause,, i don't know.

Mr. Big: ...

So in other words: THIS IS NORMAL!??!?... NOOOOO!!!!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Why did I immediately click on this thread?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Dalrymple
Member #7,922
October 2006

This problem is really unnoticeable. Before rereading your post, I thought the problem was the blue ball. Then after I reread and looked at the program again, I saw the problem. But without knowing what you're looking for its very hard to see.

=-----===-----===-----=
I like signatures that only the signer would understand. Inside jokes are always the best, because they exclude everyone else.

Mr. Big
Member #6,196
September 2005

Chill... I was just kidding... :P

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

Well, i don't know if there's a difference between different cumputers, but i don't think this is a little problem that can be overlooked, it's reallt annoying! there has to be a way to fix this :(. :)

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Quote:

there has to be a way to fix this :(.

Yeah, well it's really hard to fix it without seeing the friggin' code! :P

---
It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

My balls are lagging!

Take a cold bath. Fwoop! Fixed.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

My balls are lagging!
I thought the problem was the blue ball

The upgrade to Girlfriend 2.1 should fix that.

I don't see any lag, except the jitter of integral pixel coordinates. Try "fuzzing" the edges of the balls to reduce contrast.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

fuzzing..... ?

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

591155 maybe..?

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Matthew Dalrymple
Member #7,922
October 2006

Nice example. I give you Props x 1000

=-----===-----===-----=
I like signatures that only the signer would understand. Inside jokes are always the best, because they exclude everyone else.

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Quote:

Quote:

My balls are lagging!

Oh, really?

;D LMAO ;D;D;D

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

ok i get it.. but i'm not sure if that would solve the problem, besides, i cannot "fuzz" the sprites i'm to use for my game.. it would look wierd :S.

Kauhiz
Member #4,798
July 2004

Dude, let's see some code already! I bet that once you post the source, it won't be long before it's fixed.

---
It's Ridge Racer! RIIIIIDGE RAAAAACER!

Albin Engström
Member #8,110
December 2006

NOOOOO!! NOT THE CODE!!! I'M SO ASHAMED! FORGIVE ME GOD!!...
it's ok now, i've played some other games and realized that this problem is not mine alone, (phew, i got away so easily this time). :)

FuriousOrange
Member #7,305
June 2006

runs fine on the machines here at work

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Fine here too.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

My code sucks, but i'll still post it if I need help. You shouldn't be embarrassed to post crappy code when you're asking how to make it not crappy. I completely misspelled embarrassed, didn't I?

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

There is a Spell Check function in the edit-box.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

1   2 

Go to: