Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » new mockup widget

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
new mockup widget
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I've replaced the mockup widget with the beta one I posted a while back. I haven't made any changes to it since then, so the same quirks from before apply. The main reason for the switch is to get rid of the problem with resizing the box on non-forum pages.

The compatibility is as follows:

• FireFox 2

• Opera 9

• Konqueror - does not work with "smart" popup blocking

• IE 7 (visually messed up a bit)

• Safari Nightly Build

Older browsers may or may not work. I don't really care if they don't. They are all free upgrades.

Attachments do not work under Safari 2. But as always, you can edit your post and use the link on the bottom right to add attachments using a classic interface. (At the moment, that page is also the only way to delete attachments from any browser.)

Be sure to hard-refresh to get the latest JS and CSS files.

Ceagon Xylas
Member #5,495
February 2005

Personally I like the last version. Now when I click Preview or Spell Check it takes away the text-editing feel and auto-scrolls up for me. ;D

But if this one works better, I'm all for that.

[re-edit]
Void all above. I actually hard refreshed... and I love it now ;)

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

So, a small list of beefs with the new widget, under Firefox 2.0:

- The editing window is half the width it used to be, which is terribly annoying.
- I liked the tabbed feel way better. Now I don't really feel like it's the same page, because it auto-scrolls on me too. Feels rather like a page-reload.
- When I hover over the "preview" etc. icons, the cursor is the standard "hovering over text" beam. Doesn't really suggest that you can click anything there.
- When I clicked 'Attachments' and then 'Spell Check', the text displayed was overlaided over the Add Reply button and the smileys.

Overall, I liked the previous one way better. Those issues are all with the quick-reply box. EDIT: And they stay the same on the normal reply or edit page.

Quote:

The main reason for the switch is to get rid of the problem with resizing the box on non-forum pages.

Can't you just disable that? It's not like it's something we can't get by without...

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I am for the new one ! It looks more polished !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

So, a small list of beefs with the new widget, under Firefox 2.0:

Please refresh the CSS as instructed...

Ceagon Xylas
Member #5,495
February 2005

Oh, hot! The edit window's height is resizeable! This makes me happy!

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

Oh, hot! The edit window's height is resizeable! This makes me happy!

It has been for quite a while. At least the last one definitely was.

Good thing is that with this version you won't lose all your text when pressing spellcheck/preview with Konqueror. Just tested the upload in Konqueror 3.5.5 and guess what, it worked! So you can replace "Attachments do not work under Safari 2 or Konqueror" with "Attachments do not work under Safari 2" ;D

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

The box changed some but things seem to working fine in konqueror, except for upload (konqi 3.5.5).

[edit]
Oops forgot that I can resize it's length. ::)

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Testing attachments... failed. :(

Though it seems a bit broken. I tried typing something into the filename box, and it started trying to upload before I finished typing it in. :x

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Are you trying to say that attachments are hit-and-miss with Konqueror?
Before:
{"name":"590804","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/9\/69bf001271c6e87cbd13c5c25d596e4b.png","w":691,"h":183,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/6\/9\/69bf001271c6e87cbd13c5c25d596e4b"}590804
During:
{"name":"590805","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a33d17d478d30493b05fc39171b7f9f.png","w":691,"h":207,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/a\/8a33d17d478d30493b05fc39171b7f9f"}590805
After:
{"name":"590806","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/6\/f6e02b6771d3424dd60698d7e9004c28.png","w":691,"h":198,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/6\/f6e02b6771d3424dd60698d7e9004c28"}590806

Well, it works for me so I'm happy :)
I use Gentoo with the almost latest KDE versions of everything.
konqueror-3.5.5 and kdelibs-3.5.5-r6 are the two that should matter, I think. Only thing was that it asks me for confirmation about if I would like to allow the page to submit the form. Perhaps there is something with Konqueror's default JS settings that I've changed that make it work? I've set it to ask when opening a new window and everything else is allowed for JS.

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Must be your js settings then. I'm on Gentoo with everything recent.
konqi-3.5.5 and kdelibs-3.5.5-r6.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

If you are interested then this is the confirmation it asks:
{"name":"590808","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/4\/f4247bb07ebcbcedbcaf688f45e3bac0.png","w":472,"h":189,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/4\/f4247bb07ebcbcedbcaf688f45e3bac0"}590808

Loosely translated it would be
"Page is trying to submit a form that is trying to use JavaScript to open /upload on a new tab.
Would you like to allow that?"

Of cource nothing really gets opened in a tab but it works nevertheless.

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Ah ok, yeah if I have it on smart it won't do it. Putting it to ask to work in a new window allows it to work. :D

590809 FTW!

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

For me, when I put something it it says "Uploading..." next to the input box, then a few seconds later, "Failed". Of course, it tries to upload the moment I type something into the box and doesn't wait for me to finish, so I have to use the dialog selector.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Not bad. Definately looks much better after you refresh the CSS.

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

I publically declare that I am dumb and can't even follow instructions properly. Everything works OK after refreshing the CSS. Looks smooth, good work!

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

It would have been good to have horizontal resizing too

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Looks and feels nice.

Everything works fine (Opera 9)

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

Are you trying to say that attachments are hit-and-miss with Konqueror?

TF had done a bit of testing with Konqueror on the demo when I previously posted it, and I think he was eventually able to get it to upload after I made various tweaks. However, when I tried from Ubuntu last night (using apt-get Konqueror with default settings), it failed.

Konqueror and Safari seem to be the most quirky of all browsers. What works on one version sometimes fails on some other minor version. It would be helpful if you could change your upload dialog settings and see if it still works.

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Quote:

Konqueror and Safari seem to be the most quirky of all browsers. What works on one version sometimes fails on some other minor version. It would be helpful if you could change your upload dialog settings and see if it still works.

It works, there is just some items under javascript settings thing that need to be checked... I don't know how it looks in english, my system is in japanese, but I can give you a screen of my dialog and what needs to be set:

{"name":"590811","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/6\/167b2d209002457607ba38262dc1f47b.jpg","w":932,"h":597,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/6\/167b2d209002457607ba38262dc1f47b"}590811

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

After further testing on Konqueror 3.5.5, it does work for me when I disable "smart" window blocking.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

For me, when I put something it it says "Uploading..." next to the input box, then a few seconds later, "Failed". Of course, it tries to upload the moment I type something into the box and doesn't wait for me to finish, so I have to use the dialog selector.

I have ther same behaviour. (Opera 9)

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

I posted something using IE6 just to check. I know no one cares to use it, but a bunch of guests do. Anyway, basic functionality works just fine, no major broken-ness.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Don't know if it's been mentioned but with the new input window Firefox loses it's data when you go forward then back, this was fixed. Can we have the old one back please ;)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Kris Asick
Member #1,424
July 2001

It works surprisingly well with IE6, which is what I'm still using on my Windows 98 computer.

The only problem I'm having is based on the fact that my text window background colour is not the default white. (In fact, it's a very dark gray so the text is a light colour.) When I click on "Preview" or "Spell Check", it goes to look like a normal post with a white background, but when I click them off, the background colour is not returned from white to my Windows setting.

Surely that's simple enough to fix. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- http://www.pixelships.com

1   2 

Go to: