av0k23
Member #7,284
May 2006

Hi y'all.
i have noticed tht in quite a lot of languages the
getpixel()//get color of pixel at x,y
and the
putpixel()//draws pixel of certain color at x y
functions are really slow. i am working with game maker and importing some allegro functions unto a dll bu i dont know how to add the assembly function to a dll. i dont even know assembly to be honest but i have seen a few scattered codes on the topics so i plan on using if only i can cross compile it.

i dont know if i am making sense cos i am sleepy from staying up all nite.

if someone could be of litte assistance i would be most greatful

ReyBrujo
January 2001

No, don't use assembler, you are likely to make things worse. Either use direct bitmap access, through the bitmap array (search allegro.txt for that), or use the optimized versions:

If you are using 8bpp, use the ones without number. If you are at other resolution, change accordingly. Finally, note that these functions (as far as I remember) don't check for clipping: in other words, if you use the common getpixel function with coordenates (10000,10000), nothing will happen. If you use such coordenates with any of these functions, your program will crash.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

av0k23
Member #7,284
May 2006

i never heard of optimized getpixel?
well i am amazed to say the lest. will try soon.

hope i works on this

for(i=0; i<sprite_width; i++)
{
for(j=0; j<sprite_height; j++)
{
color= getPixel(x,y);

//_pallete[] contains color codes
for(v=0; v<old_pallette_array_width; v++)
{
if(color==old_pallete[v])
{
putPixel(x,y,new_pallete[v]);
}
}
}
}

Tomasz Grajewski
Member #4,284
February 2004

You can also use the hline function instead of the putpixel because it is a lot faster when drawing on to a video bitmap, but only with the hardware acceleration. At least it works faster for me. :)

___________________________________________________________________________________________
mBlocks - a Tetris clone written in JavaScript | Merix Studio - website design & development | Zeitgeist

av0k23
Member #7,284
May 2006

this is all great help but the problem is i am not implementing this directly into allegro. i was half-way into a projecct in game maker before i saw allegro and i cant begin to think of starting again (my comrades cant c++/c).
so i guess you have answered the allegro part so the new part is...how do i use the allegro dll in other programs like gamemaker? do i just run the functions as i would normally use it? i tried exporting some functions into a dll but there was a clash with the <windows.h> api as bitmap means different things in both. thts why i was asking for assembly just incase asking for allegro sounded stupid. me so confused.

if only i understood pascal/assembly

1.PROCEDURE HLine(X1, Y, X2 : INTEGER; Color : BYTE); ASSEMBLER;
2ASM
3 les DI, Screen { Only load ES and DI at the start }
4 add DI, X1
5 mov BX, Y { Y is an index into the ScreenY array }
6 add BX, BX { Multipy by two because each entry is a word }
7 add DI, DS:[BX+OFFSET ScreenY]
9 { At this point, DI points to the first pixel in the line. }
10 { Now we will calculate how many times to loop (X2-X1+1)... }
12 mov CX, X2
13 mov AL, Color { Load the color }
14 sub CX, X1
15 inc CX
17 test DI, 1 { Are we on an odd address? }
18 jz @Even
19 stosb { Store the first byte }
20 dec CX { Decrement the counter one }
21@Even: { Even address }
23 shr CX, 1 { Do half as many transfers }
24 rep stosw { Copy all of the even words }
25 adc CX, 0 { If there is a pixel left over, set CX to 1 }
26 rep stosb { If there is a pixel left over, fill it! }
27END;

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

there was a clash with the <windows.h> api as bitmap means different things in both.

Include winalleg.h. See the Windows-specifics section of the manual.

Quote:

thts why i was asking for assembly just incase asking for allegro sounded stupid.

It's an Allegro forum. Of course it isn't stupid to ask questions about Allegro! ;)

Quote:

if only i understood pascal/assembly

Why?
By the way, that code you posted is 16 bit, probably real-mode DOS code. It won't be of much use to you. It's ok to start with if you want to learn about assembler, but for your case I think this is clearly overkill.

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

I almost see no reason to use assembly anymore for any but embedded and extremely low-level tasks. Using any modern c-compiler an intelligent user can produce almost exactly the assembly they want without losing any cross-platform and readability. Even vector processing can be easily handled without leaving c/c++ nowadays.

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Quote:

No, don't use assembler, you are likely to make things worse. Either use direct bitmap access, through the bitmap array (search allegro.txt for that), or use the optimized versions:

Very true. Get/putpixel are damn slow compared to something like bitmap->line[y][x] = color.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Go to: