Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Compiling OpenLayer with MSVC 7.1

Credits go to Fladimir da Gorf and Neil Walker for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Compiling OpenLayer with MSVC 7.1
tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Here you are. 4 logs of exalleg, two on my X850Pro card, two on the 82855 Intel chip. I can make two more tomorrow in the office on an Intel 910.

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

tobing: Applied your changes to SVN. Check it out or go over it when you get a chance to make sure it's all there.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

SVN update breaks it when downloading but I can't see why.

Do you need to 'binary' files as 'binary' files on SVN? With CVS you need to in order to prevent line-ending conversions when going between DOS/Windows and UNIX; I can imagine that something similar is true of SVN.

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

I'll update from SVN immediately.

SVN seems to work with mime-type, and in that case it's a stream of octets. It also seems that the file is already broken in the depot, because I couldn't retrieve it by the web interface.

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

Files are OK when I checkout from linux and broken when I checkout from cygwin.

Both Intel82855 and X850Pro seem not to support ARB_texture_non_power_of_two. The texture is rescaled to power-of-2 by AGL. I don't see any relevant differences between the two cards. Does the problem persist if you rescale bitmaps manually before passing them to OL?

Another thing I have noticed with X850Pro. It reports EXT_texture_rectangle extension presence but AGL only checks for ARB_texture_rectangle and NV_texture_rectangle. Check for EXT_texture_rectangle is made MacOSX only. It may even fix something, who knows. Anyway, try the attached patch.

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

First here are two more log files, made with an Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset graphics card.

Second, how do I apply the diff? I only have Windows, so where can I find the right tools and how is the command? Sorry actually for asking, I know this is really some unix elementary question...

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Try something from here.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Thanks. I DO know how to use google. I'm also using WinMerge (besides Perforce P4WinMerge), but that only gives me diff's - but I need to apply a diff file to the originals.

Found GNU patch command, I guess that is what I should use?

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Quote:

Found GNU patch command, I guess that is what I should use?

yes, but iirc there exists gui patchers that show you details and let you customize the patching.

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

That would be nice. Seems I can't get the path command going...

Edit: got it. The diff file had the wrong line breaks - with CR/LF it was fine.

Edit2: compiles and runs fine. In fact, there's no noticable difference running the example... I've attached the log file...

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

Quote:

compiles and runs fine. In fact, there's no noticable difference running the example... I've attached the log file...

It was a fix for X850Pro. Even if it doesn't fix anything here I still believe it is needed.

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Ah. The X850Pro is what I have at home, so I'll check this evening.

Edit: Here we go. exalleg works fine, log file is attached.

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

Now I'm confused. Wasn't everything with X850Pro just fine anyway, or does this patch fix actually something?

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Everything was fine on the X850Pro, so the patch didn't change anything I could observe. I wanted to give feedback so you might be able to see what your changes did on that card - so that's why I attached the log file.

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

OK, give me logfile from dumbtest then.

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

dumbtest has always crashed upon me, all PCs I've tested. It tries to create a video_bitmap, but seemingly doesn't succeed. Then it crashes in the following clear_to_color call, because the bitmap pointer is 0.

Lines 51 and 52 from dumbtest.c:

vid_bitmap = create_video_bitmap(50, 50);
  clear_to_color(vid_bitmap, makecol(255,0,255));

Edit: dumbtest does not crash, if I create the video bitmap as 64x64.

Attached is the log file on my PC at work (82855 Intel). I'll be home late tonight, so I most probably can't run the test on my X850pro this evening...

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

That's something that needs to be fixed. It is related to ARB_texture_rectangle and ARB_texture_non_power_of_two extensions.
create_video_bitmap(50, 50); is expected to fail on chips where these extensions are not available, because of NPO2 size. It won't work on Intel 915G and Intel Montara-GM, but it should work on X850Pro with the patch.

Note that I'm referring to agl_ext_tex_rec_fix.diff patch, the "allegro_gl_extensions_GL.ARB_texture_non_power_of_two = 0;" patch doesn't do anything to any of your GFX cards, you can omit it.

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Oops. I completely forgot this thread...

So here's the logfile of dumbtest on my X850pro.

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

So, the conclusion is that dumbtest, or more specifically, "create_video_bitmap(50, 50)" works with the patch?

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Correct. This time the allocation was successful.

Milan Mimica
Member #3,877
September 2003

Great! The patch will be passed to the mailing list. Thanks for testing.

Still, the original problem with OL was not fixed... I have no clue what could be wrong. I'd rather just blame Intel. ;)

1   2   3 

Go to: