Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » MinorHack Returns!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
MinorHack Returns!
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Oops, I totally forgot about it.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Yeah, figured as much ::)

I have a complete game! I think this is my best entry so far, in fact.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Well, my game is something of a Space Invaders clone. The problem is that the enemies don't fire back. I didn't have time to implement this, although it was on the wishlist. I just thought that being able to fire at them was more important and that stole priority.

I also made a note in my entry that this competition inspired me to make a full game with a similar theme. Basically a Breakout clone, but certain bricks (which are, in this case, locks) can only be destroyed by certain keys. Some locks contain these better keys, and destroying these locks upgrades your key. So, there is actually some strategy to playing it. Of course, there would still be the general Breakout-style upgrades, but I think that the key thing adds another (thin though it may be) level to the gameplay.

For now though, I'm working on finishing Presidential Kung-Fu Showdown. ;D

wiseguy
Member #44
April 2000

well, I didn't get started until there were only 30 minutes left, and I had no idea what I was going to do so I did the best I could...had some weird problems with it but mainly it just didn't work out the way I wanted, especially since I ran out of time ...

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Okay, check out my revised version. It has a very improved movement system.

--

Skalle
Member #4,139
December 2003

I was gonna be in this too, so I made a game. Sadly, it wasn't finished on time so it can't really enter. I should learn to write faster :P Anyways, the theme was "keys and locks" and my game only had "keys", so that's another thing.

Although I finished it about 15 minutes after deadline I thought I'd post it here, because it is playable, and minorhack is the reason I did it. Enjoy if you might.(the attachment of course, is the source)

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I like Skalle's game. I changed it to have a position_mouse(mouse_x, SCREEN_H / 2), so the mouse wouldn't run off the top and bottom of the screen. (Press the mouse button to flap, collect keys)

wiseguy: I had to change your game to use _FILE_, and up your buffer sizes so they could hold the source file. Too fast to play! A shame you had to comment so much out :) Also, it might have been better if it showed the upcoming characters. It could almost be a typing tutor. (Press the key on the screen)

Kibiz0r: Very fun game to play. I got like 8000 points before I died. Nice work for an hour. (shoot.)

My rating: Kibiz0r, wiseguy.

[edit]
Added playing instructions

--

wiseguy
Member #44
April 2000

My original idea was to have the characters start out at the top of the screen and flow down randomly, and if you got one of them, it blew up, but if not and it got to the bottom, it would pile up till you were killed...

unfortunately i ran out of time and I had trouble with my buffer sizes which is why I had to comment out a lot of stuff...

oh well, that was my first ever competition entrance...I'll work on the game more (most of the games I end up finishing are learning games anyways, because I have 3 kids and also a lot of nieces and nephews...)

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

wiseguy, Kibiz0r, you two need to vote.

--

Nils Fagerburg
Member #7,193
May 2006

Crap, I thought the contest was at midnight, not noon. Bloody 12h system. Well, I'll try to enter the next contest I guess.

--
There's no place like ~.

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

My ranking is:

1. Skalle (if he had made it on time)
2. CGamesPlay
3. Wiseguy

So, in reality I guess it's CGamesPlay, Wiseguy.

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva
Member #4,212
January 2004

I lost it?

It should start in 17 minutes. But is's over now?

CGamesPlay, there must be a bug in your timing system.

Edit: Oh, it was yesterday at 8:00 pm 1st november in my timezone... Maybe is something about forgetting to decrease one day when the local timezone go to negative hour? I thought it was 8:00 pm 2nd november...

Edit2: Or maybe i just got very confused...

[The attack of the space bugs - Speedhack 2005] [Rambananas - Speedhack 2006] [Make clean - Speedhack 2009] [The source god - TINS 2010]

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

There is, indeed, a timer. But it is for the judging, not the start of the competition. Perhaps you misread it?

Edit: Or maybe it was just a time zone issue... ;D

Edit2: Stop editing your post!

Member #4,212
January 2004

kibiz0r: I really don't know what happened. But I'm sure that its not a misread about "currently judging".

And now, that the judging finished. There are no previous compos acessible in minorhack's site.

[The attack of the space bugs - Speedhack 2005] [Rambananas - Speedhack 2006] [Make clean - Speedhack 2009] [The source god - TINS 2010]

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Maybe there needs to be a new comp on the calender.

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Quote:

And now, that the judging finished. There are no previous compos acessible in minorhack's site.

They are there. They is just no list of them anywhere. :)

http://cgamesplay.com/minorhack/competitions/1

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

Victor: Maybe it was different for you because you were logged in. I just know that when I checked it when I was at school it said Currently Judging and on the comp's page it said Judging has xx minutes and yy seconds left.

Member #4,212
January 2004

Well... When the next one will be? What about november 15 or 18?

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

They are there. They is just no list of them anywhere. :)

Stop being a liar! :-X

Fixed now. I don't know why on Earth I coded it to only show the previous competitions link if there was a competition on that page that wasn't over >_<

Also, this whole I'm-not-going-to-vote thing is really annoying.

CGamesPlay: Kibiz0r, wiseguy
Kibiz0r: CGamesPlay, wiseguy

Yay for ties.

--

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Another suggestion: in entries list (both for given user and for given compo) it would be cool if there was also download link for revised version (if it exists), so in Entry column one would have [ View | Download | Revised ]. It would be even better if some information about the game was available in this list. As the list isn't too long, you can even put entire info about the entry there. :)

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

I look forward to the next. KK, you should join us again. :)

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

I think my goal for today is to implement the "proposed competition" feature. Then it will be automated!

Anyone know of a markup engine for PHP?

--

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

Quote:

Fixed now. I don't know why on Earth I coded it to only show the previous competitions link if there was a competition on that page that wasn't over >_<

Now if I go to the "previous competitions" page it still shows the "Also look at the previous competitions." line. (This is wrong)

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

CGamesPlay: str_replace or ereg/preg usually work quite well. Well, that's how I wrote mine.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

Now if I go to the "previous competitions" page it still shows the "Also look at the previous competitions." line. (This is wrong)

Ah, that must be why :)

--

Go to: