Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » MinorHack Attack!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
MinorHack Attack!
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Here's a non-gameplay fix, just kind of makes it easier to read text (changing the offset of the cards).

On line 340 and 353 in the CARDS::init function, change the X = 10 to X = 50. Looks a lot better. ;)

[edit]

Quote:

Is Onewing gonna put his entry on the site?

How, i thought i couldnt' since time is up?

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

FYI guys, you have 10 minutes to upload from the time the contest ends. I put it in the DB manually with that gameplay change.

Now I will compile them and upload binaries if nobody beats me to it. Also if you go to your entry page at any point in the future, you can upload a modified version and notes.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Once time was over, the "upload" link dissappeared for me. I'm using Opera.

------------

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

I look forward to getting those binaries. :)

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Nice game, Kikaru. I got 40 points. :)

------------

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Attached. I had to change Krzysztof's entry in 2 places: #define M_PI 3.141592 and return 0; in game_logic. This is MSVC.

--

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Thanks! :D I actually could have uploaded it about 10-15 min early, but I decided to use the time to fix some bugs, add a title screen, and make it look nicer in general.

I will probably make a full version of the game with some graphics, music, and a slightly better interface.

Also, how do we judge?

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

you missed part of my fix suggested above. That's okay. Like I said, it's not a gameplay issue. :)

------------

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Huh, missed the hack -- I thought the competition was happening at 6 EDT, 'cause it said 6 PM without saying the time zone, and I supposed CGames could read the local time zone info from a.cc ... also, I think that time used to be in EDT?
It still says "at 6:00 pm." without a time zone label -- you should probably label that.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

You can make it a revised version :) Also I understand your problem. The upload link went away, but the form was still active. I will fix it ASAP. In the mean time, click here.

Krzysztof: You are so 1337.

Onewing: Cool game; playable.

Kikaru: Fun, and it has a title screen and lose screen. Nice. Small ambitions pay off, I suppose.

CGamesPlay: Your game is super awesome and you deserve a raise.

My ranking: Kikaru, Onewing, Krzyzstof.

It's a shame there can't be a tie, because Krzyzstof's entry is so cool that I would tie it with Onewing's. But Onewing's pulls ahead because it's got gameplay.

Oh, it looks like Derezo missed the compo again :P

[append]

Quote:

Huh, missed the hack -- I thought the competition was happening at 6 EDT, 'cause it said 6 PM without saying the time zone, and I supposed CGames could read the local time zone info from a.cc ... also, I think that time used to be in EDT?
It still says "at 6:00 pm." without a time zone label -- you should probably label that.

You never logged in, so I wouldn't be able to read time zones from Allegro.cc even if I could read time zones from Allegro.cc if you logged in ;) The time zone info is on the site:

Quote:

This is a list of the competitions that are currently scheduled to run. Times are in the time zone EDT. Click on the current competition for a countdown timer.

* September 16th at 2:00 pm - Currently Judging

Shame we didn't have you. As the competition matures these problems will hopefully go away.

--

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

In the mean time, click here

Clicking brings me to a "File Not Found" page. :-/

Anywho, wow, tough choices between these four entries. I feel everyone did exceptionally good. Although, I think I nailed the Slogan rule pretty good. :)

Anyway, my rankings go like this:

Kikaru, KK, CGamesPlay.

It was a tough choice. Kikaru ftw because the game was fun. I couldn't decide between KK and CG at all, in fact, I had to flip a quarter.

------------

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

I would rank it: Onewing, CGamesPlay, KK.

Onewing: I liked the game! Though the top row of cards is oddly shifted...

CGamesPlay: your guy moved a little slow, and couldn't jump very high. But a cool idea nontheless.

KK: It was really neat maze-thing, but no objective or point. Nice idea though. :)

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

Unfortunately, I was unable to participate. I was forced to drive two hours, stand in a field for two hours, and then drive back home for two hours throughout the time of the competition. Oh well, I suppose there will be another soon enough.

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Though the top row of cards is oddly shifted...

that has to do with the fix I mentioned above. ;)

------------

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Quote:

I was forced to drive two hours, stand in a field for two hours, and then drive back home for two hours throughout the time of the competition.

Good thing you didn't participate then. You would have had 6 hours while we only had 1! :P

Onewing: That is because I am dumb and that was to edit my entry :) Yours.

--

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

I am not very good at picking prepositions, it seems.

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

I wonder if KK is going to vote...

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

Damn, I missed it... Well, there's always the next one! When is it, really? I say not same time, because then I'll have to miss it again...

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Maybe a few hours earlier or later next time? :)

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

relpatseht: Don't worry about it ;)

Kikaru: Now remember, he has a full day :)

2 more things I want to add to the site: Zip file downloads for entire competitions, and automatic generation of Windows binaries. I have XMinGW installed on my home server, it's just a matter of setting up the link. Also I need to make sure those binaries will actually work ;)

Ron: You name a time that is good for you! One of the future plans I have for the site is the ability to "propose" a competition, and if a certain number of people "second" the competition, it will be automatically scheduled. But that is later.

--

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

People who download the binaries will make sure :)
As for a good time for the competetion... I'm afraid I'll only be available in the week after this one, beginning on Monday.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Okay, so you want it on the 29th or 30th, or 1st, at what time? You can suggest a week day but people might be unavailable.

--

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Quote:

You never logged in, so I wouldn't be able to read time zones from Allegro.cc even if I could read time zones from Allegro.cc if you logged in ;)

Hmm, I did go to the MinorHack site and click something that took me back to the allegro.cc login page, the day before the Hack, IIRC. And I clicked login, and I believe I ended up back at the MinorHack site.

Quote:

The time zone info is on the site:

Right now from my end the site looks like this:
{"name":"590187","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5bec5c157cf7d26c66af40048758d922.png","w":902,"h":242,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/b\/5bec5c157cf7d26c66af40048758d922"}590187
But then, at some point I did log in and enter EDT as my time zone.

edit: also, if I log out and log back in, the site sets my time zone back to UTC.

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Baf: Update to php 5 :)

Zaphos: I don't know why it would do that! What it looks like is php understand EDT as a time zone but does not understand it to be UTC-4. I recommend America/New_York.

For personal clarification, right now, GMT is UTC+1, correct?

[append]
Thanks for telling me it happens on login, that let me fix it :) I knew something was up, but didn't know when it happened.

[append]
Did everyone remove their emails, or did that happen by accident? I still see a few of yours, but not all of them. I couldn't make mine disappear :)

--

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

Quote:

I wonder if KK is going to vote...

Why not? :) OK, I guess my entry is going to get beaten by a circle and a stickman, but something like this happened every single time I went for technology during some kind of fast coding compo, so I think I'm used to it. :)

CGamesPlay: Nice idea, but it could have been really good if you tweaked physics a bit. :)
Onewing: I'm not a fan of of this type of games, but for one hour it's quite nice.
Kikaru: Simple ideas can often work nice, but this gets boring a bit too fast.

My vote is: CGamesPlay, Onewing, Kikaru

Go to: