Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Windows Vista Pricing

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Windows Vista Pricing
BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2010150,00.asp said:

According to the preorder prices posted on the Amazon.com Web site, Windows Vista Home Basic will retail for $199, while an upgrade to this version will cost $99.95, with $89.95 for an additional upgrade license.

In comparison, Windows XP Home currently costs $189.99 retail, and begins at $89.97 for an upgrade on Amazon.com.

PointerClick here to read more about what will be inside the six Windows Vista releases.

Vista Home Premium is priced on Amazon.com at $239, with an upgrade costing $159 and an additional upgrade license for $143.00, while Vista Business costs $299 retail, $199 for an upgrade and $179 for an extra upgrade license.

In comparison, Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 can be bought for $247.99 retail on Amazon.com, with an upgrade cost of $157.99.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

... and I've no doubt for Britain all they'll do is change the $ to a £ ignoring the currency conversion ;)

Luckily, however, I have a MSDN subscription so get everything for free 8-)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Ripped from Wikipedia

Regular Price   Additional License   Upgrade Price   Additional License
Ultimate   $399.00   $359.00   $259.00   $233.00
Business   $299.00   $269.00   $199.95   $179.00
Home Premium   $239.00   $215.00   $159.00   $143.00
Home Basic   $199.00   $179.00   $99.95   $89.95

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista#Editions_and_pricing

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I wonder why OEM pricing will look like.

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

Are those upgrade prices from both xp home and pro?

Marcello

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Don't you think it rather sad in this world we live it that they go out of their way to create multiple versions at hugely different prices, when the only change is a couple of registry values to restrict certain things. In other words, it initially costs more (in effort) to create the lower value item.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It's basically a tax on businesses and people who feel inferior for using a Home edition.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

... and I've no doubt for Britain all they'll do is change the $ to a £ ignoring the currency conversion

Well, unless you can somehoe entice the USA into the common market there's really nothing anyone can do that. UK prices usually include VAT whereas US prices don't include sales tax, but I don't think that makes up the difference. I assume of course that you always consider whether the UK is more expensive to live in than the US when you're visiting a doctor or a hospital?

Quote:

It's basically a tax on businesses and people who feel inferior for using a Home edition.

Oh well, maybe it shall soon come to pass that "the Microsoft platform" is .NET and not Windows.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

Don't you think it rather sad in this world we live it that they go out of their way to create multiple versions at hugely different prices, when the only change is a couple of registry values to restrict certain things.

I remember reading long ago about some company with an IBM computer bought a $15K upgrade to double the speed of their computer. When the field guy showed up, one of the employees watched to see how it was done. All the field guy did was cut ONE jumper wire! The guy was so po'ed he posted how to do it on Usenet.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

Will it be like XP, where you needed Pro for the domain joining and group policy features? I personally prefer XP Pro, because there's options, like non-simple file sharing, group policy editor (I just used that to make Automatic Updates stfu about rebooting, because with the new Windows Defender in order to recieve it's updates, it requires wuauserv to be running).

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

<quote>
UK prices usually include VAT

I am assuming VAT stands for Value Added Tax. If this is correct, should you pay it considering Microsoft adds very little value to computers using thier products? Case in point: I have seen postings mentioning upgrading to IE 7 causes severe problems. I suggest downloading a Linux flavor for free, upgrading it for free, etc.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Heh, IE7 totally blows from what I've read. I guess a lot of sites break with it and such. But as far as it causing problems with the OS or something, I wouldn't worry about it as it comes as part of Vista, so no OS problems, then you can use Firefox or Opera or whatever suits your fancy.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

My god, $400 for the only decent version? Thanks but no.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

If people seem to generally like it, I may buy a copy. Then again, I'm not spending $400. If I can get an OEM copy for $150-200, and it's a good version, maybe I'll bite.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Ill stick with my Beta copy till it expires ;)

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I bet the final version will be nothing like the Beta. I know i had multiple issues with Beta, and if those problems aren't fixed in final, I won't get it.

You could always grab one of the RC's when they come out and use that. :P

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I just might. You can't beat free when you barely take in enough money to survive.

--

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Hey, I don't blame you for taking free. I get everything free that I can too (including signing up every time I see a free EGM offer... my subscription says I still have 5 years left on it. :P).

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

I bet the final version will be nothing like the Beta.
You could always grab one of the RC's when they come out and use that.

Well, they released a post-beta/pre-RC1 just a couple of days ago and from what I've heard it's not that much different from betas.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

My question is: Why upgrade? We know what to expect from Windows XP and we have already spent the money. Is there a big enough difference (I would like to say improvement, but that is optimistic) to warrant the expense? My XP works well enough for my needs. If they want to give me a big rebate check for my copies, I may think about it. I know the problems with IE 7 are limited to that software, but it reflects poorly on the company. They have been writing IE for more than 10 years.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

I am assuming VAT stands for Value Added Tax. If this is correct, should you pay it considering Microsoft adds very little value to computers using thier products?

Yes you should, because the market value they're able to add to a few bits of paper, cardboard and plastic disc just by putting Vista on it is remarkable!

Quote:

My question is: Why upgrade? We know what to expect from Windows XP and we have already spent the money. Is there a big enough difference (I would like to say improvement, but that is optimistic) to warrant the expense? My XP works well enough for my needs. If they want to give me a big rebate check for my copies, I may think about it. I know the problems with IE 7 are limited to that software, but it reflects poorly on the company. They have been writing IE for more than 10 years.

Okay, I don't know the exact facts of the matter because I switched to Mac but I'm sure I read somewhere that the new UI comes with a new API rather than just being a horrid Luna style theme that makes all your old software look stupid. In that case you should upgrade eventually because if you don't then eventually you won't be able to run new software. Otherwise why not play wait and see?

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

thomas said:

Well, unless you can somehoe entice the USA into the common market there's really nothing anyone can do that. UK prices usually include VAT whereas US prices don't include sales tax, but I don't think that makes up the difference. I assume of course that you always consider whether the UK is more expensive to live in than the US when you're visiting a doctor or a hospital?

Not necessarily, the rest of Europe have far lower prices for the majority of goods than the UK, and some have far higher taxes than Britain, and a higher or equal cost of living. And before you start your pro-european stance, it has nothing to do with being out of the monetary union ;)

Neil.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Not necessarily, the rest of Europe have far lower prices for the majority of goods than the UK

Then buy your goods in or from our European neighbours. The EU guarantees free movement of goods. Although a quick check reveals that the cheapest 30gb iPod on the first page of Froogle.de translates as about £185 whereas the cheapest 30gb iPod on the first page of Froogle.co.uk is about £176. So if that is representative then don't buy from Germany!

And I know you searched for a 60gb model, it's just that I happen to have the 30gb and was a little curious...

EDIT: Okay, SOMEONE in a thread somewhere recently compared the prices of a 60gb iPod in the USA versus the UK. But I may have just gone crazy.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

My question is: Why upgrade?

Because Microsoft will only be releasing certain new stuff as Vista only, even when there's no practical reason it won't work on XP.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Number Six
Member #3,912
October 2003

I definately will play wait and see, I'd rather let the early adopters find/fall foul of all the early bugs, holes and general wrinkles. Once that's settled down a bit, along with the prices hopefully :P, I'll look into an upgrade..

One of the main reasons I want to upgrade is that my dual core AMD64 has a strange load balancing problem with games, I have to set the CPU affinity to one core or the other to get rid of it. It manifests as games running too fast with a stuttering, halting effect. At first I thought it was my vidcard till I found out it was a common problem involving dual core AMD64's. There was a hotfix on the Microsoft site about it but none of the suggestions there worked. I'm hoping Vista will have it ironed out.

---------------------------------------
By Hook or by Crook.... We WILL!

1   2 

Go to: