Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [Beta Release] Toggles

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[Beta Release] Toggles
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Alrighty folks, here's the project I started on July 9th and intended to finish by August 1st. It's a few days past my August 1st deadline and it's not complete, but it is beta and playable! I'd love to hear what you think and will take all comments into consideration.

BTW, I started this project to commemorate my 1 year of being on a.cc (even if I signed up late in August of '05, I'll still count it).

Now for the details. This game was made for Windows users, but I'm going to try my hardest to have the official release version support Linux. It'll probably be a little longer though and I won't be working on it at all this weekend due to speedhack. I apologize for this. You are more than welcome to look through the code that I've included with the package, but I'm willing to bet money it won't compile without voodoo magic.

Speaking of source, like I said, it's included with the download. However, I didn't include the online source files, mainly due to security reasons. If you are daring to read through it and see some functions missing, that's because they call the online stuff. My code started off very structured, but turned into quite a mess by the end. The entire Title screen is a Hack & Scratch (tm), meaning I'd hack something and scratch it to meet my needs.

===And now for the Game Details===
Screenshots:
http://comp.uark.edu/~spsilve/togs1.JPG
http://comp.uark.edu/~spsilve/togs2.JPG
http://comp.uark.edu/~spsilve/togs3.JPG
As you can see, the GUI is missing some labels, like "Score" and "Level". There on my todo list. :)

Here's how you play:
1) Use your mouse to move the blocks (formally called Toggles) up and down through the water. Your goal is to get X% of the Toggles under water before your time runs up for each level.
2) On the bottom, you'll see a gold bar that fills up as you get Toggles under water. There's a yellow line on this progress bar that tells you how much percent you have to get. You have to get the gold bar to the yellow line before the timer (the red progress bar on the right) fills up.
3) There are 5 items (of which I call bonuses in the game) that you can get. Use the space bar or left click the mouse to use a bonus once you have gotten one. Right click to shift the bonuses that are alotted to the slots on the right.
4) Once you beat a level, a wheel-o-penalties comes up. You have to select one penatly to continue on. If you pick one of the ?'s, you might actually get a reward. Notice the red and green colors on the penalties, red means bad and green means good.
5) There is no end to this game.

Scoring:
+1 - Toggling a Toggle to go under water in levels 1-4
+2 - Toggling a Toggle to go under water in levels 5-9
+3 - Toggling a Toggle to go under water in levels 10-14
etc.

-1 - Toggling a Toggle back up in levels 1-4
-2 - Toggling a Toggle back up in levels 5-9
-3 - Toggling a Toggle back up in levels 10-14
etc.

+15 - Getting a bonus
+(100 X Current Level) - For getting 100% of the Toggles under water.

Combos
+ (10 X Current Level) - Getting 10 Consecutive Toggles to under water in 3 seconds.
+ (50 X Current Level) - Getting 20 Consecutive Toggles to under water in 3 seconds.
+ (500 X Current Level) - Getting 35 Consecutive Toggles to under water in 3 seconds.

NOTE: Using bonuses negates any "X Current Level" scoring.

TODO List
I know I'm asking for your opinion, but there's still several small factors that are incomplete in the game.

• Improve in-game GUI

• Credits Option on Main Menu

• Options Option on Main Menu

• Finish writing out readme.txt

• Converting/Compressing Files

• Switch code to using datafiles

• Upgrade Online Scoring system

• Getting the pink from accidental anti-aliasing out of gfx

• More sfx to go with different things

• A better BONUS_PACKAGE functionality

• Refining and Optimizing of Code

• Bug Fixing

I think there's more, but I can't think of them atm.

FUNCTIONALITY ISSUES
1) The online scoring system is screwy and clunky. The chances of the online hs system working on your machine is about 50/50. I am planning on making this better.

2) The game has been known to crash on its own will. On my machine, it plays 99/100 times just fine, just be warned.

3) Memory leaks. There's nothing real bad, I take pretty extensive measures to clean things up, but there are still some holes in the code...

The Link to the Game!
Toggles : 6.08MB (working on cutting this down)

The package includes the dll's, two versions of the game (one windowed, the other full screen and a zipped file of the source code).

Hopefully, I'll be putting this game out to many other forums I visit once I get to the good-enough stage. If the online scoring system doesn't work for you and you'd like to put an entry, let me know and I'll have you send your local scores and I can match them up with the online scores. I hope to get a webpage with the high scores out soon for those who don't have any luck with seeing high scores.

And that's pretty much all I have to say! :)

[edit]
Oops, forgot an important section!

Credits
First off, proper credits go to Kyle Gray who created the original Flip Out game that Toggles was inspired by. I basically remade it with my own creative influences.

Alpha Tester - Greg Kennedy

Miran Amon - I went line by line through his Rain Demo program to learn the power of rippling-water effects. I also found several other code examples from several other problems from miran that helped through several problems. :)

Online High Score Table
Uber thanks to:
Jakub Wasilewski and Miran Amon, both who supplied code examples and means to developing a working online high score table.

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Wow, you really picked the worst possible time to release this. Too bad I can't play. At work I can't download the game because of the stupid firewall and at home I use only Linux... :-/

I'm interested to see the water effect though. Maybe I'll force myself to boot Windows after the speedhack...

--
sig used to be here

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

Quote:

I'm interested to see the water effect though. Maybe I'll force myself to boot Windows after the speedhack...

Evil ghosts everywhere! Whaaaagh!

But, seriously, what happened to your avatar? I liked Lenin so much!

Unfortunately, I have Linux only too and won't be able to test your game. A pity!

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

But, seriously, what happened to your avatar? I liked Lenin so much!

This is just temporary, until Fidel feels better.

--
sig used to be here

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Wow, you really picked the worst possible time to release this.

Didn't I though? :) Yeah, as you can see, there's still a lengthy todo list, so my reasons for going ahead and releasing this was because I was determined to have a beta before speedhack. Now, I can reuse the code from it to fit my needs (I probably could before, but I feel a little more safe having the code available beforehand).

Quote:

I'm interested to see the water effect though.

This reminds me, I forgot to mention the credits here and in-game. I edited my original post to have the much-deserved credits.

Quote:

Too bad I can't play

I know there's quite a few linux users out there and I really want to have a linux version, it's just my experience with it is limiting so it will take some time. Sorry. :-/

Quote:

Unfortunately, I have Linux only too and won't be able to test your game. A pity!

A pity indeed!

On a sidenote, I see a familiar name on the online high score table. Glad to know it works!

------------

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Quote:

This game was made for Windows users, but I'm going to try my hardest to have the official release version support Linux.

Not forgetting your favourite friendly platform...

{"name":"589873","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/f\/2fe3d8f2b43163723203684debeee09c.jpg","w":1051,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/f\/2fe3d8f2b43163723203684debeee09c"}589873

:)

Pete

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Not forgetting your favourite friendly platform

My target audience is Windows users, this forum is my main linux target (there's not a huge amount of linux users here, but more so anywhere else I go on cyberspace)and I didn't think I had a major Mac area in all the places I'm going to publicize this game. However, any requests is worth trying to figure out. :)

So...it worked up to that point? That's nice!

EDIT

Just giving a bump to this thread since I released it before Speedhack and nobody had time to look at it. :)

------------

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

There's not a huge amount of linux users here?

I thought it was about:
60% Windows
35% Linux
4% Mac
1% Other

Go to: