Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » My game to be

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
My game to be
CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

So, I'll need a few beta-testers for the game since I want it to be the best possible, and I want to know the minimum system specs, and I can't do that on 2 or 3 PCs, so I'll post the progress-so-far here and I want you to tell me the FPS:

- without shadows at all (the INSERT key toggles shadows)
- with shadows
- with the flashlight on (F key)

You move with WASD, aim with the mouse, and shoot with the left mouse button (you've got 12 bullets, but there's no ammo display yet).

I'll also need to know your system specs. I want to have a general idea on which computers will it work fine, and on which it won't work at all. Especially since some GFX cards can be picky about OpenGL.

http://cursedtyrant.freshsite.pl/tests/shooter[ol].rar It's Windows only for now.

Just keep in mind that I started the game not long ago, so it's in the earliest stages of its development.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Hey cool shadows! I wanted to do shadows like that. Is it very hard? I haven't done much with OpenGL yet. I'm assuming since you are planning on selling that game you won't be releasing the source...

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, 1GB of RAM, and a 2GHz Intel Core Duo. I think it's safe to say your game will run fine no matter what. :P Though I can try it out on my crappy computer if you'd like.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

150 With shadows
360 without
120-140 with flashlight

WinXp Pro Sp 2
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
Pentium M 1.7Ghz, 512MB RAM

You should add rest() somewhere; as it is, it will use all possible CPU time, overheating it after a bit (in 1-2 minutes the temp was of 70°C and i had to shut it down)

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

I'm more interested in FPS and specs, because I need to know how much FPS you can get with full effects on each computer.

As I said in the other thread, I will release it as opensource (meaning game+source) after half a year or so, but I can isolate the shadow drawing function if you want. It's not pretty, and there're probably dozens of other (possibly better) ways to do shadows like that, but it works fine, and it's fast (as long as you operate on rectangles as objects/walls).

EDIT: That's strange. It doesn't overheat my CPU.

I've got a Sempron 1,4GHz 2500+ 64 bit (OCed to 1,58GHz), a Radeon 9550 and 512MB of RAM and I get ~80-100 FPS with full effects. No overheating, altough I think it's OpenGL's fault that the game uses 100% CPU power.

---------
Signature.
----

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Oh yeah. I got carried away showing off the specs to my new computer... :D
180 FPS with shadows but no flashlight. Drops down to 150 when I turn the flash light on.
450 around with no shadows at all.

I'm sure I could find something on the net, but I'd like to see how it's actually implemented into the game. That's the hardest thing for me to do. I was making a similar type of game using only Allegro, except the whole screen would rotate instead of only your character. I'm switching to OpenGL because 1) low resolution + rotated tile map hurts the eyes and 2) there's no way I could make pretty looking shadows + other nice effects with software drawing alone.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Shadow code attached. One thing I love about Programmer's Notepad 2 is the HTML export function. Saves all the colors and styles.

---------
Signature.
----

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Quote:

That's strange. It doesn't overheat my CPU.

My CPU is on a laptop, they are more prone to overheating. You should check if you showed enough fps, in that case rest

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Not sure how tough. I never really needed that sort of control over FPS.

Mostly because I never knew it overheats on laptops.

---------
Signature.
----

weazel
Member #6,026
July 2005

1300 w/o shadows
500 /w shadows
400 /w flashlight

win xp sp2
2.6ghz p4 ht
1536mb ram
ati radeon x800pro modded to xt pe

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

You should add rest() somewhere; as it is, it will use all possible CPU time, overheating it after a bit (in 1-2 minutes the temp was of 70°C and i had to shut it down)

Are you sure it was overheating? My CPU in my laptop regularly runs in the 70-80C range when I run it under heavy load for a while and it works fine. They are made to withstand higher temperatures.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Must have had vsync on or something...
60fps
60fps
and .... 60fps ;D

Athlon 64 3200+
Nvidia 7900GT

One thing about the controls though.... shouldnt the guy move in the direction you have him pointed? If you hit W he always goes up no matter which direction he is facing... this is confusing. Also I think this is an openlayer bug but when I have shadows or the flashlight on I get polygon edges showing.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Might be, a screenshot would be helpful.

In the final release you'll be able to choose between absolute and relative character movement. I already have the code for that, just no switch yet. I might as well add it in the next update.

---------
Signature.
----

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Screenshot:
http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/589786[/img

This doesn't happen if you hit insert (shadows off).

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Nope, it's an OpenLayer bug. Doesn't happen on my PC, or anyone else's that I know of (except yours).

BTW, does this happen when the flashlight is off too?

---------
Signature.
----

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Games generally use 100% cpu, because they run in a tight loop and aren't meant to be used alongside other programs anyway. You shouldn't worry about overheating the CPU -- a computer shouldn't overheat just by being used fully. That's a broken computer, not your fault.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

It happens with the flashlight off as well.

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Zaphos said:

Games generally use 100% cpu, because they run in a tight loop and aren't meant to be used alongside other programs anyway.

That's an opinion and should only be considered as such. A lot of users are having programs running in the background like a BitTorrent client or something else. If the game doesn't need to use 100% of the CPU it's common curtesy not to use it all up, and could well be a selling point for his game.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Quote:

It happens with the flashlight off as well.

Well, I can't fix it (I don't even have an NVidia card), but you could report that bug so someone who can does :P

---------
Signature.
----

Indeterminatus
Member #737
November 2000

With shadows: ~215 fps (+- 5)
Without shadows: ~540 fps
Flashlight: 160 fps - 215 fps (depending on how much of the cone is visible)

Specs:
Windows XP SP2
ATI mobility Radeon x700 (128MB)
1 GiB RAM
Pentium M 1.86 GHz CPU

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I unfortunately can't play it, due to the problem I brought up here. I have the same problem with all OL games. The game does work, as I can see things moving around the bitmaps it does create, but they're too small for me to be able to read the FPS counter, or to be able to make out much of the graphics.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Quote:

That's an opinion and should only be considered as such. A lot of users are having programs running in the background like a BitTorrent client or something else. If the game doesn't need to use 100% of the CPU it's common curtesy not to use it all up, and could well be a selling point for his game.

Can you name a single comercial "3D" game that use this as a "selling point" ? It's not an opinion, it's a fact, and the curtesy is far from "common" (a game should use all the available power for the best experience).

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

BT clients and such don't use hardly any CPU. Stuff running in the background shouldn't use much CPU.

Paladin
Member #6,645
December 2005

Ok, open layer games never work for me, and it makes me mad sometimes. These are my specs:

Intel Pentium 4
Processer 540
3.2 GHz
1 GB DDR
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (I know, very sad, but I can't afford any better than the built in stuff)

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Do OpenGL or AllegroGL games work for you Brian?

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Quote:

Can you name a single comercial "3D" game that use this as a "selling point" ? It's not an opinion, it's a fact, and the curtesy is far from "common" (a game should use all the available power for the best experience).

To argue that games should always consume 100% of the CPU even though it isn't used isn't very clever. And it's not even something I need to debate further.

Quote:

BT clients and such don't use hardly any CPU. Stuff running in the background shouldn't use much CPU.

Perhaps the user is rendering an animation using 3D Studio Max or something? In any case it's really irrelevant what else the user will need the available CPU-time for. It's the users computer and a game shouldn't use more than it needs, so that the user may decide if he/she wants to do something else at the same time or not.

1   2   3 

Go to: