Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » blitting sprites

Credits go to Alex Hanson-White, Jonny Cook, Miles Lombardi, Onewing, and Richard Phipps for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
blitting sprites
Money
Member #6,730
December 2005

i'm using codeblocks so you won't be able to open the project, only the source

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Yeah, so the BMP was only 256 colors (8 bit). I opened it in MSPaint and saved it in 24 bit colors. Then everything worked fine. Just make sure you don't convert the images back to 8 bit. What paint program do you use?

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Money
Member #6,730
December 2005

i use ms paint, i opened the gohan file, changed the color saved as 24 bmp, and it still didn't work .... sigh

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

That is reallllly strange. I guess this wasn't really your fault then... perhaps a bug in your version of MSPaint? I doubt that's the case, but who knows.

Does the version I attached work?

Money
Member #6,730
December 2005

no it doesn't work :(

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Okay... well that's beyond me. It works fine on my computer. Does it work for anyone else?

Money
Member #6,730
December 2005

i sent it to one guy, said he needed allegro42.dll or something

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Well put it in the archive too. You can usually find it in your compiler bin folder. If it's not there then just search for it.

zer0
Member #6,501
October 2005

Sounds to me like Money is fucking with all of you; no one can be that stupid. Just look at how many posts he has made showing incredible incompetence ::)

and its alleg42.dll

edit: i got his attached code to work by simply changing the color. The bug isn't in MSPaint and I'm sure your program works fine johnny; the only bug that exists is in Money's brain

Money
Member #6,730
December 2005

craig...no one likes you

[edit]
why would anyone waste like..hours trying to joke someone....thats just dumb..and second these people don't HAVE to help me, but they did anyway cause their good people, why am i even wasting my time saying this to you craig..in short, craig your a pisshead

you can download it from here

www.freewebs.com/avont29/sprite.rar

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Just want to double check one more time: did you download the version I uploaded and run it as is? Like, without opening the images or anything?

Money
Member #6,730
December 2005

well i did open the image, to see it, the color i mean

count
Member #5,401
January 2005

Please try this:

set_color_conversion(COLORCONV_TOTAL); /* this is the new line */
    set_color_depth(16);
    set_gfx_mode(GFX_AUTODETECT, 640, 480, 0, 0);

Enter the new line in your code and tell us what happens.

Money
Member #6,730
December 2005

no, that didn't work either :(

we can remote assistance, where you connect and control my computer and see what the prob is

my contacts are

[edit]
..deleted

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

You might want to remove your contacts and just give them to anyone who PMs you for them. Otherwise, you might end up getting a bunch of spam mail.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

About the sprite... make sure you save it in Paint as a 16 bit image and not as a 16 colour image. The former could be called something like `64k colours' or `high colours' and the latter just `16 colours'.
Also, what's your desktop resolution? Have you tried other programmes, such as PaintShopPro, NeoPaint or the GIMP? Try either or all of those and see if they work.

EDIT: yeah, I meant to say desktop colourdepth, not resolution...

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Maybe I'm missing something (I admit I haven't read the entire thread), but to me it looks like Money is running Windows in 8bpp mode, that's why Paint refuses to work in anything else...

Money: Right click on your desktop, select "properties", then the the "settings" tab and in the "color quality" list select "32 bit" or something. Then click "apply" or "OK".

--
sig used to be here

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Quote:

well i did open the image, to see it, the color i mean

No, you were supposed to run the program... but okay.

Avenger
Member #4,550
April 2004

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something (I admit I haven't read the entire thread), but to me it looks like Money is running Windows in 8bpp mode, that's why Paint refuses to work in anything else...

The problem is you can't tell from his screenshot. Because he must have been using mspaint to make that image, and since mspaint is (as one possibility) broken.

My guess is that Money is either using Windows in 8-bit mode, which I consider very unlikely, or that his mspaint is broken, which also sounds unlikely. But in the Microsoft world, nothing is impossible, except for the good stuff.

Money
Member #6,730
December 2005

there is no way i can run in 8 bit mode

download attachment

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

What attachment ::)

Money
Member #6,730
December 2005

alright, i got it to work, turns out it was ms paint messing up, i downloaded neopaint and edited the palette to 255, 0, 255, and used that as the background, so i guess i stick with neopaint

thanks all of you for helping me out, i have not yet seen a post this long for one problem, sorry about the credits i had did that earlier, on like the 1st page, but thank you all so much, you've been such a big help

Credit goes to all who replied on this subject...except to craig, no credit goes to craig whatsoever

zer0
Member #6,501
October 2005

;D boohoo

1   2   3   4 

Go to: