Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [CH05] Santa Sleigh Race

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
[CH05] Santa Sleigh Race
miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

This was supposed to be nice little arcade race game where you race reindeer drawn sleighs against up to 5 computer controlled santas on many different challenging courses. I didn't have time to implement half of the features I planned so it turned into something quite different. The two most important things I didn't write were collision detection and artificial intelligence, so I turned the game into a multiplayer on one computer hotseat one at a time type of game. Also there is only one track and it isn't very good.

Here's the full source and Windows binary (~850 kB)! Source compiles in Linux as long as you have Allegro 4.2 and DUMB installed.

Should I finish it? Is it worth it?

Screenshot:
http://ferisrv5.uni-mb.si/~ma0747/graphics/screen_ssr.png

--
sig used to be here

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I always suck at these race games. I gave it a try but quit after running into the snow on every turn... :P

Quote:

Go for it!

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Heh, I already had to fix a couple of major bugs. Version 0.71 is now uploaded.

Sorry Mark for getting a buggy christmas present. When you're running out of time as I was, you inevitably miss even the most obvious bugs... :P

Quote:

I gave it a try but quit after running into the snow on every turn... :P

Yeah, that tells a lot about the gameplay. Santa's sleigh just isn't fun to drive. Too much understeer... :P

--
sig used to be here

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Well I pretty much suck at it. Cool game though, I'm going to have a look at the source. I learn the most from simple games like this.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

I'm going to have a look at the source. I learn the most from simple games like this.

Please don't. This was hacked together and when it didn't work, it was hacked even more until it did work. I'm not proud of my code.

--
sig used to be here

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

It's a nicely done game, just need a smaller turn radius, shouldn't be too hard to fix the steering.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

just need a smaller turn radius, shouldn't be too hard to fix the steering.

Turn radius depends on your speed. The faster you go, the bigger the turn radius. If you stand still, you can actually turn on the spot. Useful hint: you need to slow down for the turns :)

--
sig used to be here

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I've driven a team of reindeer before, and trust me it is hard to turn corners with them. I think it's spot on.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

I've driven a team of reindeer before

:o:o:o

--
sig used to be here

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

Quote:

Yeah, go for it. As of now, I think it's well-polished demo, more so then you let on via the CH thread. My best lap time was 1:42 and something seconds. :)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Quote:

Please don't. This was hacked together and when it didn't work, it was hacked even more until it did work. I'm not proud of my code.

Reminds me my code of Revenge of Frosty. Since I will have relaxed I'll try your game, it sounds good.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Murat AYIK
Member #6,514
October 2005

I like games without a "Game Over" message:) My only problem was the trees inside the road, I wasn't expecting them. Also cruising southwest and reaching santa with the radar's red dot was interesting
:P

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Quote:

Reminds me my code of Revenge of Frosty. Since I will have relaxed I'll try your game, it sounds good.

He asked nicely...

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Quote:

My best lap time was 1:42 and something seconds.

My best is around 1:25 :)

Quote:

My only problem was the trees inside the road, I wasn't expecting them.

That was on purpose ;)

Quote:

Also cruising southwest and reaching santa with the radar's red dot was interesting

Eh? You went into the void?

Quote:

He asked nicely...

Look at the code all you like, but don't try to learn from it, that's what I meant. Unless you want to learn how not to make a game. Well, actually the framework is OK I suppose, but the game itself is a hack (game.c, track.c, player.c, deer.c, sleigh.c, etc).

--
sig used to be here

Murat AYIK
Member #6,514
October 2005

Quote:

Also cruising southwest and reaching santa with the radar's red dot was interesting
Eh? You went into the void?

I earned this bad habit while trying to find all the easter eggs in large games. Even when I know nothing special will happen I still enjoy it(oh my God, what have they done to me?!)

And some trivia: When I tested your game, the music I heard was cool but nowhere related to christmas. Also it kept playing after I closed the game too. Then I figured out it was a web page with a Flash game which completed loading just the moment your game's menu appeared:-/ It was one of the "build a world adding stuff in the right order" games in offtopic.

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Quote:

It was one of the "build a world adding stuff in the right order" games in offtopic.

That's called Grow.

EDIT:Miran, your game looks pretty good. Just make sure the next race it's not better to go off the road than in road to win :)

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

What road? ??? There is no road in my game...

--
sig used to be here

Murat AYIK
Member #6,514
October 2005

Maybe a closest_point_on_line check can turn those lines into road borders, where your speed decreases when you ride (road_width/2) away from the nearest line.

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

You're missing the idea. All you do in that game is go from one checkpoint to another. There are no roads or anything like that. The red and blue lines are just guides that show you the shortest way to the next checkpoint.

--
sig used to be here

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Then why not just put the checkpoints in the map and remove the lines?

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Because they are guides that show you the shortest way to the next checkpoint.

--
sig used to be here

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Then your game is broken, cause I didn't go trough them a lot of times and made a 1m31s lap(meaning that I must have skiped some checkpoints)?

miran
Member #2,407
June 2002

Hmm, looks like you're right. You found a bug! A big one! :D

--
sig used to be here

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It works great. Everyone knows the best part about racing games is figuring out a way to cheat the track. Finding ways to cheat on Micro Machines for the NES (awesome game) made me feel great.

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

I remember an Amiga racing game (top-down view) where you could cross the finish line, then go back, cross it again to score another lap, and so on until you finish the race :). What was it's name... Carnage?

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

1   2 

Go to: