Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Phone-friendly

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Phone-friendly
Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Posting from my phone, heh. How about making a light version of at least the forums? It looks pretty cluttered as it is. I'll upload some images later.

--
Edit:

With images/JS disabled (it managed to load some images before I changed the settings):

http://www.duckiehorde.net/FEscr(003).jpg http://www.duckiehorde.net/FEscr(004).jpg http://www.duckiehorde.net/FEscr(005).jpg http://www.duckiehorde.net/FEscr(006).jpg http://www.duckiehorde.net/FEscr(007).jpg http://www.duckiehorde.net/FEscr(008).jpg http://www.duckiehorde.net/FEscr(009).jpg

Pradeepto Bhattacharya
Member #1,340
May 2001

Cool! Tell us which brand ? Which model ?

--
I vote for Pradeepto. - Richard Phipps
Hey; Pradeepto's alive! - 23yrold3yrold

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

I once tried reading the forums with my wap 1.X (certainly less than 2.0) phone (nokia 3510i). Since it doesn't support (x)html I had to use google (yes, it can do anything) to translate it to a meaningful version (wml). It was readable but it took about three or four "next's" to get from thread title to its first post.

So yes, some lighter version would be good.

I haven't yet tested Opera. It should work but I haven't been able to get the right version for my phone.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Couldn't you just set your profile to use a CSS file that defines settings for portable devices?

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Yes, but changing it all the time would get tedious pretty fast, and it would seem that this is something others would appreciate as well.

One possibility would be to construct such a CSS file and automagically use it if using address mobile.allegro.cc for example.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Hmm.. I thought there was an equivelent to a "mobile" specifier for CSS.. It already has "print" and "screen"..

And it seems there is a "handheld" media specifier.

ie:

@media handheld {

}

No need to keep changing your css at all.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Oh yes, you are right. "Media handheld" seems to be even recognized by the mobile Operas (more or less successfully in pre-6.10 versions). This is not a cookie thread but here's something: :-*

Edit: Like all nice notions about CSS, that doesn't seem to work in the end. My Opera 6.20 either:

- happily ignores the whole shebang
- does not like @import

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

If I recall you can specify the media type in the <link> tag referring to a css file?

Marcello

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Yeah, you can. I have to try it out later, Opera might recognize it. It's still up to The Big L to do it here though.

--
edit:

Weird. The following (plus inline definitions) all work (and "handhelds" are ignored by Firefox) when I tested them:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="test.css" type="text/css">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="test.css" media="handheld" type="text/css">
<style type="text/css">@import "test.css";</style>
<style media="handheld" type="text/css">@import "test.css";</style>

--
edit2:

^H^H^H^H^H x 1000. BAH. Never mind. The cache policy on Opera was at fault.

--
edit3:

^H^H^H^H^H x 2000. BAH. Never mind. It wasn't. For some reason, it just does not want to apply the CSS definitions I make. It could be that it doesn't just load remote CSS/whatever.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Speaking of phones, they should make a phone with a Viewmaster view. You look into an ocular and see a big screen. I bet they could fit at least a 640x480 screen with a size not bigger than a stamp into a thing like that. And with two screens and two oculars you could view 3D images. And play 3D games.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

That'd be really funny.

I assume that an ocular is like the things that you look into for like camcorders or something (before they made fold-out lcd screens).

If so that'd be really funny, coz it'd be like the doom 3 pda, or the Golden Eye (N64) watch (How they bring it right up into their face to view it, just standing their in the middle of the room with a pda across your face. They'd look soo ridiculous in real life).;D

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Cool! Tell us which brand ? Which model ?

Looks like one of the various Series 60 (Symbian, Nokia style) phones, e.g. the Sendo X, Nokia 7650, 6600, 3650, etc or the Siemens SX1. I've have two 6600s (the first was lost to a mugger, the second was a 'gift' from the insurance company) and both came with Opera preinstalled, even though the collection of other packages varied quite significantly.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Quote:

the first was lost to a mugger

It sucks that cell phone companies don't do a damn thing to prevent theft... It seems you can even call them etc, all they can do is shut your service off, so that for the most part you quit getting charged for the service...

My girl friend had her identity stolen and some one bought a cell phone with her credit card, they wouldn't even give her any information about it! -- Let alone refund the purchase... -- How easy it would be for the police to track that person down with the information the company likely has. Anyway. It's not good.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

It sucks that cell phone companies don't do a damn thing to prevent theft...

Here when you report your phone stolen they don't just cancel your contract, they bar that handset from all networks regardless of SIM card / network locks / whatever. Which is probably the best they can do to deter thieves.

Quote:

My girl friend had her identity stolen and some one bought a cell phone with her credit card, they wouldn't even give her any information about it! -- Let alone refund the purchase...

They couldn't do that here. In fact they probably can't do it there, but whatever. What should happen here is that the phone company will cancel the contract and the bank will refund the money. Once you've told the phone company that the credit card was used fraudulently they cannot continue to charge your account because they know that they aren't entitled to the money. If they continue then they are enabling the deception of whoever stole/cloned the card, making them a secondary party to the act and just as liable as a primary in the eyes of the law.

Similarly the law requires banks to keep insurance for this sort of thing and to investigate and refund fraudulent uses reported within a 'short' period (which I don't know the length of exactly, but it's more like 90 days than 5). Naturally you have to report the fraud to the police also which acts as a safeguard on people pretending they've been frauded to save money, since falsely reporting a crime is a thing with quite serious penalties. Nowadays many banks offer 'fraud protection' which goes further than that and tries to spot fraud for you, e.g. the same card being used near simultaneously in two different cities, suddenly being used abroad, etc. You should always tell the bank before you take a card on holiday!

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Quote:

Here when you report your phone stolen they don't just cancel your contract, they bar that handset from all networks regardless of SIM card / network locks / whatever. Which is probably the best they can do to deter thieves.

that is very reasonable, I wish phone companies here would do that.

Quote:

What should happen here is that the phone company will cancel the contract and the bank will refund the money.

I agree.

Quote:

they cannot continue to charge your account

Right, buying a phone is a one-time deal, they didn't charge the plan to her acct, just an expensive phone... sorry if I was unclear. Regardless, they didn't give her a penny back.

Quote:

banks to keep insurance for this sort of thing

The bank said it was something that the phone company should have to refund... (and the phone company likewise said the bank) -- As for the stolen check-book, the bank was able to put a stop on all the checks, but since the company doesn't know about the stop till after it tries to cash the check(s), she still had to go in for every single fraudulent check and sign about 3 pieces of paper for each one that came through saying "I didn't do it", and it wasn't the bank's insurance that paid for the money to not come through either, the bank basically filed these papers with the stores, and stiffed the stores if I understand correctly. (The phone wasn't paid for with a check, but with the stolen CC, they had the account canceled after they realized her purse was missing, and put the peices together, they had a new account opened that was identical in history, etc, except for the account numbers...)

Quote:

You should always tell the bank before you take a card on holiday!

Good to know!

And sorry for being so off-topic.

edit: re-read my last post and realized why you thought they bought a service, not just a phone, sorry for being un-clear. I was only stating that if they had bought a service, the company would be able to shut it off, like you also re-iterated in your last post... Guess, I should have been more clear. Didn't mean to mislead you.

Go to: