Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [SH05] Bunkermaster

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
[SH05] Bunkermaster
fuzinavl
Member #4,105
December 2003

the gameplay and control layout is perfect ;)
I love the strategic use of bunkers, towers, terrain, and sandbags!

suggestions:
- aim up / aim down should be at half speed.
- should have twice as much angle accuracy
- player should be closer to the left side of the screen, maybe 1/2 way between right and center?
- 4 player horizontal split-screen MAYHEM!

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

4 player? 2 vs 2 or?
Once you got splitscreen, I want networking!

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Quote:

- aim up / aim down should be at half speed.

Will do ;)

Quote:

- should have twice as much angle accuracy

They're doubles, the precision is only (in practice) limited by game refresh rate (60 Hz) and player reflexes

Quote:

- player should be closer to the left side of the screen, maybe 1/2 way between right and center?

I actually meant to make the camera stay "ahead" of player

Quote:

- 4 player horizontal split-screen MAYHEM!

You people don't know how hard multiplaying this will be, do you? ;)
But I'll try. Just not now, I have an important project to work on...

Quote:

4 player? 2 vs 2 or?

Should be trivial to let player pick his side...

Quote:

Once you got splitscreen, I want networking!

;____;

Toasty
Member #5,611
March 2005

My highscore is 796K on the post-SH version you linked here. :o (see attached screenshot)

By the end of the game I had become a superhuman soldier with 1700 health. I noticed that as the game progresses, the enemies start out with better weapons, like grenades, flamethrower, etc. But in the end, they seemed to be starting with that mortar weapon, and instead of launching it at me, they blew themselves up. It was pretty funny to see an enemy base put out waves of guys who kept blowing themselves up. But not only that, their explosions didn't hurt me.

When I realized that, I became concerned that I wouldn't be able to get a game over, as their explosions (grenades and mortars both) didn't hurt my teammates either, who marched on to claim flags abandoned by the suicidal opposition. I finally just kept running far to the right past enemy lines and got the timer to run out.

It took me a while to accomplish that, though. It's a fun game and I played for quite a while. ;D I think my second-highest score was around 40k, with several attempts ending at less than 10k.

I have a couple suggestions for the game. The extra-health things seem to unbalance it in the player's favor once you get past a lengthy initial hump of difficulty. Maybe they could be replaced with special health boxes that temporarily set you to 700hp?

Also, it got a bit confusing having my weapon switched when I was storming around with the flamethrower. I vote against auto-equip on pickup. The weapon-switch key is a bit hard to reach, too. I like to hover my fingers over the keys useful to the game, and the stretch from Tab to Ctrl to Space was a slight strain.

Great polish, great fun, great game.

Moving Shadow
Member #5,973
July 2005

I cant play it! Every time I run it just keeps minimizing to the system tray!

fuzinavl
Member #4,105
December 2003

try spybot S&D / antivirus stuff

Quote:

You people don't know how hard multiplaying this will be, do you? But I'll try.

Netplay for this type of game is overrated and difficult to program. Horizontal split-screen is the way to go.
keyboard1, keyboard2, mouse, gamepad1, gamepad2, gamepad3, gamepad4

I guess the "active" game area would encompass only where the players are plus 1 or 2 bases over. In timed multiplayer, players could use the flag on their side as a spawn point. (not next to the next enemy flag, but one back)

look-ahead camera: A fixed camera would be better because you can see what the enemy is doing while retreating. (unless you added overhead flying vehicles). For the 4-player narrow split-screen, you could add/subtract the player-relative crosshair position to the "Y" camera position.

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Quote:

By the end of the game I had become a superhuman soldier with 1700 health. I noticed that as the game progresses, the enemies start out with better weapons, like grenades, flamethrower, etc. But in the end, they seemed to be starting with that mortar weapon, and instead of launching it at me, they blew themselves up. It was pretty funny to see an enemy base put out waves of guys who kept blowing themselves up. But not only that, their explosions didn't hurt me.

I'll look into that bug ^_^"
There was also another bug, where I was forgetting to give them proper ammo for their weapons...

Quote:

I have a couple suggestions for the game. The extra-health things seem to unbalance it in the player's favor once you get past a lengthy initial hump of difficulty. Maybe they could be replaced with special health boxes that temporarily set you to 700hp?

Yea, maybe that works - I'll have to do something about it.

Quote:

Also, it got a bit confusing having my weapon switched when I was storming around with the flamethrower. I vote against auto-equip on pickup. The weapon-switch key is a bit hard to reach, too. I like to hover my fingers over the keys useful to the game, and the stretch from Tab to Ctrl to Space was a slight strain.

Yes, I'll definitely disable auto weapon switch for player, and show a message on screen when you get a new weapon. I'll also make controls remapable.

Quote:

Great polish, great fun, great game.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

I don't know if i should love or hate your game.

I love it because it is just great (as already mentioned).:)
I hate it because it keeps me from working on my project.:(

(Looks like there's more 'Dichotomy' to your game than it becomes obvious.;))

fuzinavl
Member #4,105
December 2003

Rodrigo: what other games/whatnot gave you the inspiration for:

bunkers, towers, sandwalls
terrain
control scheme
overall gameplay

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Quote:

Rodrigo: what other games/whatnot gave you the inspiration for:

bunkers, towers, sandwalls
terrain
control scheme
overall gameplay

Well, now that's a though question :)
I don't know, I just knew I wanted to make a sidescrolling game with hilly terrain and fast action. Then I decided on two armies fighting, and the rest I mostly decided as I went. It's nothing revolutionary, really. :)

Control scheme was just the best I could do with the four buttons. I had to scrap the jump button because of the limitations, and make weapon switching a bit weird, but it still worked out nicely in my opinion.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Hmmm, I disagree that netplay would be a good addition to this game, don't get me wrong. The game is great. But its linear left to right which can get old, and it seems like one side would increasingly get stronger and unbalance the game quickly... If you plan on netplay you really need an overhaul -- ladders, more weapons, etc, if all you can do is go left and right and hit in the middle, it seems like a basic tug-of-war, where one person is constantly getting stronger, and the other stays the same, which will get old quickly.

I'll have to download the 100 second version, my bane in the speedhack entry was the mindset "crap 5 seconds left, gotta rush in, crap, dead, crap crap crap" my highest speedhack score was about 17k...

As for the person who got up to 1700 health, maybe their should be a quake style health cap? Ie, you were allowed to get over the maximum health, but after an amount of time had passed since the health had been picked up, the health started ebbing away back to the maximum...

Also in the speedhack version (I dunno if its there in the 100 sec version) with the grenade launcher, when you ran out of ammo it would switch you back to another weapon (this is good), but you could switch right back to the grenades and go negative in ammo, and just keep throwing them all you wanted! :o

edit: a cool addition would be vehicles, as in: tanks, jeeps, helicopters, jets, manable turrets/bunkers, manable turrents on vehicles! AA guns! etc... that would be cool!

edit2: and those dropping bombs could be dropped by random enemy planes, or sometimes they could drop parachuters... anyway, I have a habit of requesting an ungodly amount of complicated features. OOh and some scrollable screens where the hills might be so high that the screen scrolls upwards, with a scrolling upwards screen giving plenty of room for dogfights, and maybe turn it into a MMORPG where the main character is an elf... (hahaha... ;) sorry, heh... couldn't resist.)

It's a great game how it is! -- My $.02

Victor Williams Stafusa da Silva
Member #4,212
January 2004

Bunker Master doesn't run in my computer! It crashes immediately when runned.

I tried to recompile it (with MinGW) to make it work, but i couldn't because it conflicts the BITMAP struct between windows and allegro.

I'm using 24 bit color resolution, 1024x768, windows xp. I tried in 16 bits but it failed too. My CRT monitor has just 16 and 24 bits (it doesn't support 8 bits). 800x600 didn't work too.

FIX THAT!

[The attack of the space bugs - Speedhack 2005] [Rambananas - Speedhack 2006] [Make clean - Speedhack 2009] [The source god - TINS 2010]

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Quote:

conflicts the BITMAP struct between windows and allegro.

seems to be other think already solved... lemme check for the right thread.

EDIT: it's in the FAQ

quoted from faq:

Quote:

I get lots of compile errors about conflicting types for "struct BITMAP"!

If your program directly includes Win32 API header files, see the
"Windows specifics" section of the documentation.

If your program only includes header files of the C++ standard library,
you're very likely trying to compile it with gcc 3.x for MinGW; if so,
define the symbol __GTHREAD_HIDE_WIN32API on the compiler command line:

g++ -D__GTHREAD_HIDE_WIN32API program.cpp -lalleg

i think you should upgrade or check the version of gcc you got.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

fuzinavl
Member #4,105
December 2003

Quote:

I disagree that netplay would be a good addition to this game,

yeah, lag sux, but splitscreen would be great

Quote:

and it seems like one side would increasingly get stronger and unbalance the game quickly...

how about 8-20 seconds after a red flag gets captured, you get a red bombing run to help balance things out. (& vice-versa)

I REALLY like the parachute troopers idea.
A hang-glider / parachuter ballista would look neat, but I think utterly useless.

I don't know if Aircraft and AA guns would really add to the game.
Regardless, I should be able to aim up to 89 degrees with my crosshairs.

tanks(armor) & jeeps(speed) could be balanced out by infantry mine weapons. The infantry weapons are powerful enough, so you wouldn't have to add power to mounted weapons.

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

It seems that my latest binary isn't truly statically linked. That's probably what's causing the crash... Sorry :|

I'll build a new version (with bugfixes and jump enabled again) and upload...

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

As for how far you can aim upwards, in RL I can point a gun straight up, why is there a limit in the game? It seems kind of silly.

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

He didn't feel like rotating the bullet sprites. ;-)

Marcello

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

Where exactly can you find the latest version? I have to be embarassed to admit I don't have Allegro or a good compilation environment installed right now so I can't build from the source, so a binary version is needed.

I can't find it from the Cellosoft site.

Gillius
Gillius's Programming -- https://gillius.org/

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Well, I'm having issues compiling it with mingw... -_-
It compiles just fine, but crashes when trying to run.

The 1.02 version is available at the first post on this thread, I'll see if I can get 1.03 up tomorrow. Gotta go to bed now, sorry :)

As for pointing up, yea, that would require making bullet rotation and (most importantly) an animation of soldier aiming up/down.

gillius
Member #119
April 2000

Oh I am really dumb. I downloaded the 1_02 and saw the source but didn't see the binary, so I thought it was source only.

EDIT: yeah I also beat Bunker Master too, tonight. After about 300k points I didn't even see my team anymore (not that I used them that much, ever). I never let go of the right key and I just chucked grenades constantly. At around 600 to 700k points they started getting mortars and blowing themselves up. At around 1 million points they pretty much all had the mortars so I didn't have to do anything at all.

Attached: This is what the end of the game looks like. I sat at the entrance just to see if they could hurt me -- they did 1 damage to me in something like 5 spawns worth of guys.

Gillius
Gillius's Programming -- https://gillius.org/

Rodrigo Monteiro
Member #4,373
February 2004

Yea, that's a known bug that was fixed in 1.03... -_-
(Which still isn't up, heh heh)

1   2 

Go to: