Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Running DOS as an OS

Credits go to BAF, clovekx, Crazy Photon, da_flo, HoHo, khristina yer, ReyBrujo, Sirocco, and X-G for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Running DOS as an OS
Evan Wilson
Member #5,878
May 2005

Well when I created the partition, the option that I chose was "create logical DOS partition" and that was the correct choice.

Still, I can't seem to get into the C drive.

--Inform Yourself--
Scientology

khristina yer
Member #5,795
May 2005

Next you have to reboot, then you can format the partition.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

C: is bootable, so it needs to be a primary partition. Logical partitions are just a way of dividing a single primary partition into several smaller partitions.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Windows 95 has problems on AMD processors faster than 350Mhz, I'd like to go back to 95 myself but get so tired of rebooting 10 times trying to get Winduhs up. "IOS error: System halted" etc.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Evan Wilson
Member #5,878
May 2005

Okay, here's the current problem.

I managed to get the C: Drive to work, and I can access it, but it's buggy. Whenever I try to put something there, or even do a /dir to find out what's there, it tells me that some sort of like "insecure media type accessing. Abort retry fail."

So I figured "Hey, I got the C: Drive working, why not install windows? Well, I tried. I put the primary dos partition there, used my emergency boot disk, and tried instaling Windows 95. It performs the routine system check, and then tells me "Windows needs 7000000 bytes to install"

That's 7 megabytes, right? Well, it has to be, if I did the math right.

Now, when I created the partition, I set it so that it would take up 100% (Which is about 1 gig and a few megs). Does this mean that there's no room for anything on my C: drive?

Well, I tested that. I created a partition that left about 10 Mb free so that it would have space to install. No dice, it still says it needs 7mb.

This time, I set the partition to take up 10 mb (you'll notice I'm giving windows some lee-way here.)

Still no dice, it keeps telling me it needs 7 mb of space.

So then I tried not even making a partition. It gave me a different error this time. It told me it couldn't detect whether my HD was NTFS or FAT (something like that, I don't remember the abbreviations)

Any ideas? I'm all out.

--Inform Yourself--
Scientology

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Old technology and new technology don't get along it seems.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

What partition type did you use? I don't think FAT16 or FAT12 can handle 1 gig sizes, and it's probably throwing everything off. You need FAT32 for that, and I don't know if any versions of DOS before 7 support it.

And unpartitioned space isn't recognized as any kind of drive, anywhere, at all. It must be partitioned to be used.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Evan Wilson
Member #5,878
May 2005

I used fdisk (the dos 5.0 version) to create a primary dos partition. For some reason, the file system says "unknown"

EDIT: And it had windows 95 on it before, so I'm not sure why it isn't working this time.

I figure maybe I can just make directories on the C drive with the boot disk and put stuff there.

--Inform Yourself--
Scientology

Mars
Member #971
February 2001

Do you still want to use your parents' computer? I'd avoid installing a second OS there. You'd probably leave quite visible tracks. Go for a boot CD with some sort of Linux in combination with a USB stick or so to store data. But that might get difficult on a system with only 16 megs. In that case I'd suggest to just get a very cheap used old computer.

Unless they'd forbid you to get one of your own. In that case it would really be time to have a calm and serious talk with them. Maybe you could get a teacher or some other adult person they respect to speak to them? Learning to exploit the full powers of a computer is pretty valuable and should come handy in your futur life.

--
This posting is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Evan Wilson
Member #5,878
May 2005

Mars: I figure I have a system right here, and it'd probably be cheaper just to replace the HD and boost the ram. I'll just build off of this one.

--Inform Yourself--
Scientology

Mars
Member #971
February 2001

So is it your own or your parents'?

--
This posting is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Evan Wilson
Member #5,878
May 2005

It is my own.

--Inform Yourself--
Scientology

Mars
Member #971
February 2001

Then go on. :)

--

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

If you still want to go with DOS...

1.) fdisk, Primary Partition, 100% space
2.) restart
3.) format c: /s
4.) you can put files on C:\

khristina yer
Member #5,795
May 2005

Did you format it? If it doesn't get formatted you will have 0mb space to use.
And not a quick format either. You have to do a full format.
Every time you set the partitoin different, the format is lost and needs to be done all over again.

Evan Wilson
Member #5,878
May 2005

Hah, yeah, I figured out that I had to format it, and I got windows 95 to install. Or so I thought.

It turns out I had the wrong CD in (A newer version, the CD is corrupt) and it was missing some dll's. It installed windows, but it didn't run. It wouldn't actually start. So I tried uninstalling windows. Didn't work.

So I figured "hey, why don't I just format C:\ again?"

No dice, it said "invalid drive specification"

So I went to fdisk and deleted the primary partition. It deleted it, and I said "Hey, lets make a new partition." It told me there was no space to make a partition! What do I do?

--Inform Yourself--
Scientology

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

DOS (and Windows) FDISK sucks (as you found out). Either get a copy of Partitition Magic, or use Linux fdisk. You should be able to run it from a livecd.

Evan Wilson
Member #5,878
May 2005

Would linux fdisk work on dos? Like if I put it on a floppy.

--Inform Yourself--
Scientology

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

No, it only works in Linux. But it'll work from a Linux bootfloppy or liveCD.

Michael Faerber
Member #4,800
July 2004

No, Linux fdisk doesn't work on DOS. But you should be able to start this fdisk from a Linux live floppy/cd/dvd/whatever. A nice Linux floppy is this: http://www.toms.net/rb/. It also has fdisk.

EDIT: Beaten!

--
"The basic of informatics is Microsoft Office." - An informatics teacher in our school
"Do you know Linux?" "Linux? Isn't that something for visually impaired people?"

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

I was going to suggest that boot floppy, but I'd lost the link (I still have a bootfloppy though).

Number Six
Member #3,912
October 2003

Hey Evan! With DOS Fdisk it is VITAL that you reboot after adding/deleting partitions, THEN format any new partitions you've made.
With the linux fdisk you can make DOS partitions, but you need to be running a linux kernel to use it (such as the one on the linux boot floppy) and you'll still need to format the parition before it will be usable.

Also if you have any luck getting a working DOS, try DJGPP it's a first rate C/C++ compiler for DOS with 32-bit protected mode, a source editor etc and Allegro supports it! (I think fix.bat still has a djgpp option!) Anyway the site has all the details...

---------------------------------------
By Hook or by Crook.... We WILL!

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

If I remember correctly, FAT supports up to 2gb, right? So you hard drive should be just fine in DOS.

Evan Wilson
Member #5,878
May 2005

How do I fit tomsrstbt(sp?) on one floppy, it's 2.1 mb?

--Inform Yourself--
Scientology

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

If I remember correctly, FAT supports up to 2gb, right?

FAT32 does. I dunno about FAT12 or FAT16.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

1   2   3 

Go to: