Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Time to move!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Time to move!
Ceniza
Member #2,027
March 2002

Hey guys, some of you know me from some movies like... no, wait.

Ok, Hi.

I know, I've been a bad boy and haven't posted for a very long time, and no, I'mn't back! :D

I just wanted to introduce you to a new and lovely IDE.

Are you still using Dev-C++ and praying every minute in the hope of no crashing?

Have you been waiting for a Linux version of Dev-C++ or some kind of clony?

Well, here is your saviour: Code::Blocks Studio. It's a nice IDE written in C++ which uses wxWidgets for its interface. It has nice features like Code Completion, Class Browser, Debugging with GDB, Multiple Compilers Support, Plugins (Code Formatter (AStyle), TODO List, ...) and much more.

There'sn't an Allegro template yet, but it can be created and suggested ;)

If you want to give it a try go to the site and download it, or if you're using Windows and want to get recent CVS binary snapshots, get them from here.

P.S.: I have nothing against Dev-C++, and those who really know me can tell.

Note: HEAD branch of Code::Blocks isn't ready for Linux (well, it compiles, but it has some serious problems), so use VERSION_1_0 instead. If you're using Windows you can go with HEAD with no problems.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Quote:

Have you been waiting for a Linux version of Dev-C++ or some kind of clony?

I'm using KDevelop and I'm really happy about it. Beats the c*ap out of devcpp. Also it seems like it has all the feature you listed plus much more. Also, there is an allegro template for it, its about 2 days old ;D

Code::Blocks Studio looks quite good, I might try it out if there is an ebuild for it

[edit]
So far I haven't found an ebuild so I guess for the time being I'll stick with KDevelop :)

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Well, here is your saviour: Code::Blocks Studio.

I've heard good things about this. Unfortuantely I can't get it to compile because it's trying to use wxWidgets/wxGTK headers that don't exist on my system. And it breaks when you have unicode support compiled in wxGTK.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

So why did you leave us Ceniza??? It better have not been that... WoW game!

Ceniza
Member #2,027
March 2002

SteveyTy!!!1~ said:

So why did you leave us Ceniza???

C'mon, I never was that active in the forums, and #allegro, well, that's another story.

I never meant to leave you :-*

All I can say is that WoW has nothing to do with it :)

Kitty Cat: The Unicode thing is a really known problem. wxWidgets 2.5.x and 2.6.x is coming in Unicode in Linux distros, so the choices are: wxWidgets 2.4.x or compiling wxWidgets yourself without Unicode support (--disable-unicode).

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

Kitty Cat: The Unicode thing is a really known problem. wxWidgets 2.5.x and 2.6.x is coming in Unicode in Linux distros, so the choices are: wxWidgets 2.4.x or compiling wxWidgets yourself without Unicode support (--disable-unicode).

Or the Code::Block authors can just fix their code. ;) But regardless, I did install wxWidgets without unicode, and as mentioned, it doesn't compile due to missing headers.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Go to: