Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Post thou thine desktop!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Post thou thine desktop!
Soga
Member #4,589
May 2004

Chris, that seems to be a Gremlin, from the movie Gremlins, with a guy's face on it.

Don't feed Kid Russia. :o

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

No, it should be: Post thou thy desktop, because thine is for words that begin with a vowel sound. I believe the command+you order was used a lot in old English.

You is plural / formal polite; thou is singular and grew to be considered rather impolite outside of parent/child type of relationships. Obviously it ended up out of favor altogether, and "you all" has taken the place of plural "you".

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

I believe mogwai is the correct term... a gemlin results from feeding a mogwai after midnight ;D I don't think it's a mogwai anyway... something doesn't quite look right... maybe the ears?

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

You is plural / formal polite;

Well, it's the second person objective plural. The second person nominative plural is ye.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Quote:

No, it should be: Post thou thy desktop, because thine is for words that begin with a vowel sound. I believe the command+you order was used a lot in old English.

Hmm... that makes sense.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Obviously it ended up out of favor altogether, and "you all" has taken the place of plural "you".

Are you sure? ``You all'' has a literal Dutch counter part (jullie allemaal) but the second person plural (jullie) never lost its meaning as second person plural. The addition `all' here simply adds emphasis.
As a random bit of trivia, the Dutch polite/deferential form, U (may or may not be capitalized, depending on how formal you want to be - it's always capitalized when addressed to God), is actually third person singular grammatically, although most people seem to think it's second person singular. You can tell from irregular verbs and the (lack of) change of declension when the word order is inverted.

X-G: do you happen to know more old English grammer like that? I'd love to know more... I've been trying to find out some old Dutch grammer as well, but it seems hard to come by.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Second person plural in Argentina (and I believe South America as a whole) is deprecated by a mixture between the formal second singular person subject and the third plural person verb.

Hmm... roleplaying a medival dwarf my vocabulary is basically "Ye are thy own enemy", "Don't make me kill thee", etc. A ranger uses a broader range, with things like "Thou art my enemy", "Thou shalt appraise it better", and all that.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Kid Russia
Member #5,148
October 2004

Actually, it's the bear from Bo Selecta! (An English comedy show, very twisted).

Sometimes I don't know whether to kick the mone or check the conee, I flew like a rubber dingy thats right

Ultio
Member #1,336
April 2001

ReyBrujo: DAI fan, I see? Where'd you snag that image?

---
"It's nice knowing that someday, the software I write will just be pirated by millions of people." :-/
http://loomsoft.net | Zep's Dreamland | Allegro Newbie Tutorials

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I like them indeed. I picked it from somewhere the net a year ago, could not say exactly where though.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

flares
Member #3,463
April 2003

here's mine, the baby is my kid.

[nonnus29]Plus the api is crap ... I'd rather chew broken glass then code with those.

aquasync
Member #3,964
October 2003

TWM is teh ultimate!
Simple and uncluttered.
edit: oops, i probably should have let this die...

Go to: