Post thou thine desktop!
madpenguin

This is mine (warning: it's 162k)

miran

How can you be a mad penguin and still use Windows? ???

madpenguin

Dual-boot. ;)

X-G

miran

FMC

X-G, cool chick ;)

Rampage

Here's mine.

Richard Phipps

Mine (resized to 640 x 480)

Evert

Here's mine. It's a bit cluttered with windows, but that's how it normally looks. In fact, it's fairly empty at the moment, since I've only just started.
The background is monotonous blue anyway.

Ron Ofir

Madpenguin: still working on KQ MMORPG? Cool!

Mine's too big (2 MB as a PNG) so I can't be bothered to post it... It's just plain XP background cluttered with tons of usless icons anyway.

Miran, Mithrandir and Richard, your backgrounds are great!

Corelian

Here's mine.

Nice picture jorram, is it from some manga or did you draw it yourself?

Chris Katko

Buncha lightweights. ;) I've got plenty of icons on my desktop, and 3 folders titled desktop 1, desktop 2, and desktop 3 (of more files). :)

Mostly it's from procrastination (because I really need to get around to reinstalling windows anyway). The rest of my computer is very organized.

Rampage
Quote:

Nice picture jorram, is it from some manga or did you draw it yourself?

I copied it from a friend of mine, and he got it from here.

gnolam

My current one. I change the background image pretty often...
(the one before that was this one)

And yes, I use text files on the desktop like other people use Post-it notes... :)

Chris Katko

Meh. The only worthy notables are the lovely system icons, and the background.

Quote:

And yes, I use text files on the desktops like other people use Post-It notes...

;D ::raises hand::

Kris Allen

Sporus

Here's mine. I even have Samurize! (With everything even mildly interesting blurred out.) :P

james_lohr

...mess

Richard Phipps

James, your desktop offends my natural sense of order! ;D ;)

Derezo

My desktop...
..yeah. It's not it's normal self. Recently reformatted.

Chris Katko
Quote:

James, your desktop offends my natural sense of order!

Ever have 135+ objects on your desktop? It's scary.

Rampage

Evert, what's the editor you're using?

Ian Nicholas

Exciting, isn't it!?

kdevil

Mine (scaled down a bit).

Kris Allen

Doesn't that bright orange screen get on your nerves?? I can't stand it, to be honest :/

Ian's is nice and relaxing... aah.

Sporus

Ian: Well, it is. I mean that recycle bin is just huge! :o

Evert
Quote:

Evert, what's the editor you're using?

nedit. I've been using it as a graphics mode text editor (that is, when I don't use VI ;)) for years now. It's (or at least used to be) a lot lighter and faster than emacs. I see they've added some new goodies since the 5.2 version I'm using... maybe I should update it to the latest version.
Last I knew, there was no stand-alone Windows port, meaning it needs a Windows port of X11 to work there. I never got it to run well in Windows, but then again Boxer is probably the best Windows editor I've ever used, so I don't really miss nedit too much if I find myself in Windows and in need of text editing.

FMC
Ron said:

Miran, Mithrandir and Richard, your backgrounds are great!

Thanks, btw it's another pic from Prague :)

Billybob

Derezo has money on his desktop!

Ultio

The wallpaper can change every 5 minutes, so I picked one that's not so jarring on people's eyes. :)

Rick

I think I win for most icons :-/

[url http://www.rickpiller.com/desktop.jpg]

Marco Radaelli
Rick said:

I think I win for most icons :-/

Highly probable, if you keep downloading things to the desktop :)

I use a folder, c:\downloads, where I put everything I download.
I also have a separate folder, c:\programming, where I put all my code (easy when it comes backup time).

Rick

Most of my downloads are in My Documents. Most of these are programming folders or shortcuts, not that I use the shortcuts on my desktop very often.:P

Rob Fletcher

I want to play!

Rob

edit:

SimGolf... it has ruined me on the four seperate occasions I've treated myself to it.

Billybob

That desktop is slick. too bad it's gummed up with ugly Windows taskbar.

juvinious

Here's mine.....

gnolam

juvinious: oh, the humanity! :o

RallyMonkey

Here is mine. Everything changes based on the desktop.

screenshot76xv.th.png

http://img63.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img63&image=screenshot76xv.png

juvinious

gnolam: I know quite cluttered isn't it, you should have a look at my Hard drives. :P

Rally: Where?

RallyMonkey

Right there. ;)

Archon

This must be my source of inspiration - none.

JonZ

Here's my desktop ^_^

All I've got installed is VS.NET, Symbian Series 60 SDK, Irfanview, Foobar 2000, Nero, Gaim, TaxCut, Firefox, Y-ABC, and Valve's Steam [HL2, CS:Source].

Simple and not much else eh? Whatcha think?

Jonathan Curran

RallyMonkey

I don't mind that at all...

Rampage

RM: Your linking skills suck ;). You url lacks a '/'.

RallyMonkey

Lacks a '/' where? I just got this straight from ImageShack...

Rampage
Archon

After the second http:/

Jakub Wasilewski

A few weeks ago I realised that I really use only 4 icons on my desktop often. So, I left those alone, killed everything else, and voila - the perfect desktop :P.

EDIT: Damn, I hate my new connection. For all those interested in the lower part of the picture - [url http://meditech.pl/temp/pulpit.jpg] :).

Archon

krajzega, instead of the names of the programs, you type their purpose. What would you put for IE?

Steve Terry

Here's mine ;D

RallyMonkey
Jakub Wasilewski

Do you see IE somewhere? :)

But, obviously "Cram up my computer with loads of adware, spyware, and crash on top of it". I tried to put it as a label for it's icon, but it didn't fit, so I was forced to remove it ;).

Oh, and those "purposes" instead of names - well, I know what the programs are already, and that way the desktop feels more... hm, unique I guess?

Archon
Quote:

Here's mine ;D

Do you notice that there's a pr0n folder on your desktop at the far corner and you're showing everyone :P?

phate

I just cleaned up my desktop so its not as clean as it should be.

BAF

here is mine

Not too many windows open at the moment (I just rebooted the other day :P)

[edit] That png is 3mb. Here is a 126kb scaled down 50% to 800x600 saved as a png: [url http://www.bafsoft.com/misc/shot020205.JPG]

Billybob

Geez BAF, either that image is several megabytes or bafsoft.com is slow

BAF

see my edit. That is a 3mb image :P

Billybob

Still 3mb shouldn't take that long to download.
EDIT:
Ok, ok, here's mine. I don't like the background anymore, so it's going to change soon.
Oh, and it's dual desktop (two monitors):
[url http://www.progranism.com/junk/desktop020205.jpg]

Steve Terry

ahem the pr0n folder is just a gag.... uhhh yeah ::)

Paul whoknows

Big mess

Breakman79

Here's my simple desktop.

Kirr

Here's mine.

Archon

Kirr: Would it make you sad if someone clicked "Align to Grid" on your desktop? :P

Kirr

Yeah, I would be mad!

Oscar Giner

Kirr: how can you find anything with so many icons and so unordered? :o

Breakman79, yours the best ;D

Mine:
Linux
Windows

Archon
Quote:

Breakman79, yours the best ;D

How often / long do you stare at your desktop compared to actually doing something? :-/

Kirr

They are perfectly ordered. I was always wandering how people can find anything on grid-aligned desktops. ;)

[edit]
Breakman79, can you speak Japanese?

[edit]
Why would anyone want aligned desktop? Isn't it enought that most of the turn-based games have square grid? Or that we live in square-aligned cities and square-shaped rooms? But to align icons to the square grid, by my own will, without anyone with big gun forcing me.. This just doesn't fit in my head. Ask any graphics designer, he will say it's an insult to his artistic sense. And no, I don't stare at the desktop at all, just one second to start a program. And I enjoy many board games, including chess, but that's another story. :)
Sorry for the rant, I don't mean any offence, just couldn't keep it to myself. :)

Adol

Naughty naughty Breakman79 ;)

uno mas:

[url http://www.freewebs.com/ad0l/Desktop.JPG]

Breakman79
X Archon said:

How often / long do you stare at your desktop compared to actually doing something?

Until my drooling saliva shorts out the keyboard ;D

Kirr said:

Breakman79, can you speak Japanese?

A little, I'm taking a Japanese language class once a week.

Billybob

It's probably breakman's girlfriend, cause why would he look at some chick he doesn't even know? That would just be stupid. Ya know?

Rampage

I hope you're joking Wheatley...

raist0069

Just did a format recently...

Before and after.

Derezo: Seen you have pokerstars on your desktop. How often you play poker? I play on ultimate bet quite a bit and have people over usually on fridays to play.

Paul whoknows: wow, nice desktop :P

Kitty Cat

James Lohr: Where'd you get yours?

Mine's attached. Nothing special.

EDIT: No it isn't.. too big. :-X

EDIT 2: Now it ain't. Resized to 640x480...

Archon
Quote:

It's probably breakman's girlfriend, cause why would he look at some chick he doesn't even know? That would just be stupid. Ya know?

What if the picture he has has the name of the model as the filename? Does that count as "knowing who she is"?

Avenger

An old version of mine:

http://ralsoft.bafsoft.net/images/desktop.png

EDIT: The image is sligtly cencored:)

Trezker

Here's mine

It was actually about time to update the dump I had on my website...
My contact list has almost doubled.

Tobias Dammers

Here's mine. That's a dual display system, in case you're wondering why it looks funny. I got so used to that second screen, I wouldn't want to work without it...

Archon
Quote:

Here's mine. That's a dual display system, in case you're wondering why it looks funny. I got so used to that second screen, I wouldn't want to work without it...

Dual screens. Does that mean a full window takes up both monitors or can you put windows in 2 different 'desktops' like Linux?

Tobias Dammers

It's basically one huge desktop, and I can drag windows around all the way I like. Only if I maximize a window, it will maximize to one display only, not both (which it really can't, because they're not equally-sized; hence the black rectangle). I can, however, make very wide windows that stretch over both displays. Usually, I use the large display to work in some program, and open documentation and help files on the smaller one. Pretty cool really. For music productions, I open the sound card's mixer and an explorer window (and maybe some auxiliary programs like cd-burning or mp3 packing apps) on the small display and the main recording program on the large display.
And DX and OpenGL only work on the primary display (the larger one), and only in XP (not 98SE, where the primary display is the smaller one).
And there seems to be some issue between one of the graphics cards and my (professional studio) audio card; whenever I use 3d functions, or the screensaver kicks in, the audio card ceases to work, and I need to reboot. Argh.
[edit]
see attached picture for a window across screens...

Evert

This is what my desktop looks like at work. It's not too different from what it looks like at home, only has more windows open generally.

Tobias Dammers

Heh, that's quite a crammed desktop I'd say!

BAF

William: Go here and put in 1024 bytes to see how long it takes to download 1mb from my server (which has bafsoft.com).

I get my full cable modem cap, 3mbit, downloading from it.

[edit] Heh. Check mine before i had to reboot to make windows recognize my new monitor. Only 53 windows open:P here

Thank God for window grouping :P

Kirr

Multimonitor is cool, I'll have it some day. And it can get crazy too.. :)

OICW

So here's mine laptop desktop (pretty nice ape isn't it ;D ), you'd better not see my PC desktop ;)
Mithrandir nice picture from Prague Castle. I love that promenade there's cool view on Prague

Corelian

Transparent consoles are cool! In fact every *nix user should have transparent consoles! ;)

Enclosed is a new screenshot of my desktop, which shows off my transparent consoles. ;D

FMC
OICW said:

Mithrandir nice picture from Prague Castle. I love that promenade there's cool view on Prague

Yeah, Prague is so nice it aint at all difficult to get cool photos :)

Kitty Cat, nice desktop background.

phate

I'm surprised how many ppl are running XP but are still using the Default Luna theme. You should all have a snazzy theme like mine.

kronoman

My amazing desktop :P
Check the attached file.

hazul

Why did I know it has bikes before I opened it? :D

HoHo

Nothing to see here. It's my dull kde default desktop with practically no widgets except gkrellm.

Downscaled to 75%, still rather big(~300k)

Marco Radaelli

Oh, well, here's mine. I should get a wallpaper ::)

Derezo
Quote:

Derezo has money on his desktop!

Yeah. I was expecting a teeny tiny deposit for a security verification.. but it turned out to be a withdraw of > $15. ... called my bank. They're useless. I'm switching after I'm finished school. >:(

Billybob

BAF:

Quote:

Test results:
1048576 bytes in 3.36661195755 seconds.
Approx. 304.16335856693 KB/sec or approx. 2.3762762388041 mbit

And that's after 3 times. It got steadily faster ;)
I timed it myself as well. There seems to be an odd "overhead" because it takes 11 seconds from click to DONE.

And yes, dual monitors is very useful. Expensive shivers but useful.

Kanzure

No desktop from me yet. I'm using TMW, I'm kind of embarrased, although I like the insanely fast boot time. :)

Evert, I like your style.
Ultio, great theme. :)
Corelian, nice buttons.

I thought there would be more Linux users..
And, I guess I was a minority. Only a handful of Win98 users?
You people make me want to purchase a second monitor for double display. You people make me sick. :P

Kitty Cat
Quote:

Transparent consoles are cool! In fact every *nix user should have transparent consoles! ;)

Surely you mean translucent :P And I used to, until I figured I didn't want to waste the extra CPU (it's not hw accelerated, after all) and that some of my backgrounds just made text hard to read (only way to fix it was to make it more opaque.. so much so that I might as well not have had a translucent background).

Ultio

Theme? 'Tis no theme! Unless you're referring to the Samus obsession. If so, then thank you. :)

Nivoc

This is my desktop at work

Tobias Dammers

Wasn't expensive at all. I already had what I needed from my old machine; you don't need anything fancy / expensive for the second monitor. Just an old PCI graphics card (mine: Elsa Winner 2000/3D 4MB) along with your brand-new kick-ass AGP card (mine's not brand new: GF Ti4200 128MB), although not all (old) chipsets can do multi-monitor. My secondary display runs at 640x480, so a 14" screen is just fine.
You won't get hardware acceleration on the secondary display anyway. That is, unless both monitors are driven by the same graphics card, but then it can get quite expensive; and in that case, I'd recommend two identical monitors to enjoy the multi-monitor gaming experience ;D
You can, though, connect a CRT and a TFT screen to the same card.
Oh yeah, and you'll need 98se or xp, other versions won't support multi-monitor (properly). Even 98se is a bit tricky. MacOS, as expected, usually has no problems with it. No idea about Linux though.

Mika Halttunen

Here's mine. I cleaned it up just for you, guys! :)
Though there's still some icons I never use, oh well...

Rob Fletcher

Mika, where's that rad background from? I love that kind of picture. Huge, steampunky contraption.

Rob

Corelian
Quote:

Surely you mean translucent

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I tend to mix those two quite often.

It's true that translucent console is not very practical if you have complex wallpaper (or no wallpaper at all). But if the background is "smooth" or the translucency level isn't too high, it sure looks kewl. Absolutely the best way to waste cpu your cycles. ;D

Multiple monitors with translucent consoles, mmmm... now that would be something... 8-)

Quote:

Corelian, nice buttons.

I use out-of-the-box WASP-theme. It looks like BeOS and has svg-icons. I especially like the Mozilla-icon (top-right corner).

Mika Halttunen
Rob Flecther said:

Mika, where's that rad background from? I love that kind of picture. Huge, steampunky contraption.

It's from Hayao Miyazaki's latest movie: Hauru No Ugoku Shiro. I got the picture from here.

Archon

Mika: I don't think that those 4 skinny poles could hold up that walking building.

Trezker

No matter what supported it, you shouldn't be able to move it with steampower anyway...

X-G

Quote:

Hauru No Ugoku Shiro

Or, what it's known in the west as, Howl's Moving Castle. :P

BAF

WH: My php code to generate a random MB of data is quite slow. You hit done, php makes random data, makes javascript code to do start/finish, sends the page, etc.

Mika Halttunen
X Archon said:

Mika: I don't think that those 4 skinny poles could hold up that walking building.

Well, I'm not responsible for that so leave me alone ::)
It's still a nice picture.

Don Freeman

Ok...here it is...

Marco Radaelli

I just updated my wallpaper for the occasion :)
Now Mithrandir isn't no more the only one with a beautiful city on his desktop 8-)

My Desktop

Archon

Marco Radaelli: Could that crane pick up the unsuspecting cars parked to the left, or even cars passing by?

Marco Radaelli

That would be funny :D but I think it will build the new house (so I'm gonna loose this nice view :() and the go away.

Thomas Fjellstrom

Heres mine...

I cleaned it up somewhat a week ago or so.

[edit, added link]

Archon

Thomas Fjellstrom: Nice KDE setup.

Heres mine. :P

Karadoc ~~

Mine is a bit cluttered at present.

Avenger

I have updated mine a little, since I have got an internet connection to it, yay!:D. Some cencorship is added::), it is my secret project

My Desktop

EDIT: It is a 1.45 mb file, so it may take some time to load.

Trezker

Hey Karadoc, what's up with that low resolution?

gnolam

Avenger: you've (or someone has) misspelled "installasjonsveiledning". Sär skrivning!

Avenger

Don't you see the difference of English and Norwegian!?

Karadoc ~~
Quote:

Hey Karadoc, what's up with that low resolution?

My desktop res is 1024x768. I didn't think that was that low. I would set it a bit higher, but I don't really see the point. It's not like I'm using super highly detailed icons or anything like that...

Trezker

Hmm, I have 1280x1024 and have twice as many icons in a column...

BAF

I hvae 1600x1200 (i used to be stuck at 1152x864) and it is sooo nice.

Kid Russia

Hurrah!

Chris Katko

What... is that thing (your avatar/background)?

phate

Kid russia: why are you using limewire? Shareaza is some much better and it also is open source.

ReyBrujo

Just wondering, wasn't it should be either Post thine or Thou post thine? :P

Windows desktop with the current trash I have there. I am wgetting some files from a ftp server, checking the forums, and playing Genesis. Linux desktop next time.

Soga

Chris, that seems to be a Gremlin, from the movie Gremlins, with a guy's face on it.

Don't feed Kid Russia. :o

Matthew Leverton

No, it should be: Post thou thy desktop, because thine is for words that begin with a vowel sound. I believe the command+you order was used a lot in old English.

You is plural / formal polite; thou is singular and grew to be considered rather impolite outside of parent/child type of relationships. Obviously it ended up out of favor altogether, and "you all" has taken the place of plural "you".

Steve Terry

I believe mogwai is the correct term... a gemlin results from feeding a mogwai after midnight ;D I don't think it's a mogwai anyway... something doesn't quite look right... maybe the ears?

X-G

Quote:

You is plural / formal polite;

Well, it's the second person objective plural. The second person nominative plural is ye.

ReyBrujo
Quote:

No, it should be: Post thou thy desktop, because thine is for words that begin with a vowel sound. I believe the command+you order was used a lot in old English.

Hmm... that makes sense.

Evert
Quote:

Obviously it ended up out of favor altogether, and "you all" has taken the place of plural "you".

Are you sure? ``You all'' has a literal Dutch counter part (jullie allemaal) but the second person plural (jullie) never lost its meaning as second person plural. The addition `all' here simply adds emphasis.
As a random bit of trivia, the Dutch polite/deferential form, U (may or may not be capitalized, depending on how formal you want to be - it's always capitalized when addressed to God), is actually third person singular grammatically, although most people seem to think it's second person singular. You can tell from irregular verbs and the (lack of) change of declension when the word order is inverted.

X-G: do you happen to know more old English grammer like that? I'd love to know more... I've been trying to find out some old Dutch grammer as well, but it seems hard to come by.

ReyBrujo

Second person plural in Argentina (and I believe South America as a whole) is deprecated by a mixture between the formal second singular person subject and the third plural person verb.

Hmm... roleplaying a medival dwarf my vocabulary is basically "Ye are thy own enemy", "Don't make me kill thee", etc. A ranger uses a broader range, with things like "Thou art my enemy", "Thou shalt appraise it better", and all that.

Kid Russia

Actually, it's the bear from Bo Selecta! (An English comedy show, very twisted).

Ultio

ReyBrujo: DAI fan, I see? Where'd you snag that image?

ReyBrujo

I like them indeed. I picked it from somewhere the net a year ago, could not say exactly where though.

flares

here's mine, the baby is my kid.

aquasync

TWM is teh ultimate!
Simple and uncluttered.
edit: oops, i probably should have let this die...

Thread #456573. Printed from Allegro.cc