Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Rock or Heavy Metal bands that don't sing?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Rock or Heavy Metal bands that don't sing?
Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

No, I do not mean cannot sing and rather mean do not sing. I'm looking for fairly good rock, heavy metal, or other various similar styles of music without words to the songs. I want pure good quality music not destroyed by a bad singer and their crappy voice.

Anything out there?
Thanks. :)

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Joe Satriani
Beautiful guitars and no singing.

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

The Wonderful Adventures of Gnolam and the Talking Bannana said:

Oh, and I believe the word you're looking for is "instrumental" ;)

juvinious: His music sounds low quality. I'll try to find some offsite samples. :)

Ian Nicholas
Member #4,282
January 2004

Mogwai
Godspeed You Black Emperor
Explosions In The Sky

...nothing else comes to mind. Good luck finding instrumental heavy metal.

------------
More fun than you can shake a fishstick at

"Ahem. Presenting the Cheese-A-Phone. Now we can communicate with various cheeses, regardless of their foreign tongue. Go ahead, Ren, say something in Limburger." -Stimpy

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Low quality? ??? Hmm, it's probably the samples on his page. He as an excellent guitarist.

If you want screeching instead of singing you can always try cradle of filth
They above is actually a good band though.

I can't think of any instrumental groups off hand that do metal or rock. There are some great game tracks that are instrumental metal like Castlevania SOTN. If I remember any others I'll post them later.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I have a few demos of heavy rock:

Quake 3 Heavy Metal
Since Then (punk rock)

you can download them directly from my website
http://markoates.bafsoft.com/music.htm

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

juvinious
Member #5,145
October 2004

Mark: Wow, that's nice, especially the Quake3. What do you use to do your recordings?

Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

Apocalyptica? They rock on cellos... it still counts.

What about good quality music helped by a good singer and his or her non-crappy voice? Have you given up on that entirely?

--
~Goodbytes

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Check out Yngwie Malmsteen. Also many bands occasionally have tracks without words, once in a while, like
Amorphis - 1995 - Black Winter Day - 02 - Folk Of The North
Manowar - 1996 - Louder Than Hell - 08 - Today Is A Good Day To Die
Manowar - 1996 - Louder Than Hell - 09 - My Spirit Lives On
Metallica - 1984 - Ride The Lightning - 08 - The Call Of Ktulu
Lake Of Tears - 1997 - A Crimson Cosmos - 06 - To Die Is To Wake

But you wount find the best music in this way. In rock/metal world the best music comes with words. For example my favorite song of Scorpions: Lonesome Crow (1972) - it is mostly instrumental and it can make me cry, but is has a little singing in the begining and in the end.

Quote:

I want pure good quality music not destroyed by a bad singer and their crappy voice.

There are many rock and metal bands with terrific singing. :) Do you need examples?

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."
- Lunabean's Thief Deadly Shadows Walkthrough, day eight

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Quote:

:) Do you need examples?

Yes.

Quote:

Have you given up on that entirely?

Almost.

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

OK, something like this:
Good rock vocals: Deep Purple (Gillan period), Rainbow (Dio period), Led Zeppelin, Scorpions, Saxon. I did not say anything new, did I? :)
Metal: Manowar, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Angra, Halford.

I don't know what you call good vocal. For example Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) is nowhere near with those rock legends in terms of vocal, yet still I like his music and singing a lot. :) Also, many metal bands just sound good to me, without having any special vocal. Like Bathory, Lake of Tears, Dawn of Dreams etc.

[EDIT]
PM me if you want to try before you buy it. :)

--
"Go to the NW of Stonemarket Plaza to the Blue Glyph Keeper Library door and enter."

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Along the lines of Joe Satriani..
Steve Vai
Best guitar player in existence, imo.

RallyMonkey
Member #4,615
May 2004

Pink Floyd?

NOTICE: This post's grammar/spelling/puncuation is definitive. English is frequently inaccurate.
---
"Puppet Sex!!!!" - Goalie Ca

Archon
Member #4,195
January 2004

Find some .mid's :P

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

Quote:

Find some .mid's

Yeah, and soon you'll find you are missing that singers and their crappy voice. :)

--

Avenger
Member #4,550
April 2004

Well, some MIDI files are quite good, I have about 10 or 20 (out of 1000 :-/) that I really like. Aside these MIDIs I have a few MP3s (I'm not a 100% midi geek:))

Kirr
Member #5,060
September 2004

MIDI is just dead music. It may be of good quality, but it just has no life inside. When the quitarist (for example) plays his guitar he does not just play notes, he puts his soul there. There are many little details that are recorded into the music, and that make it beautiful. Even plain piano solo played by a living person is never comparable with midi. There is a slight tempo and articulation changes that noone can program in midi, even if the format would support all necessary effects. (BTW, I am slowly upgrading my music collection to loseless formats, cause MP3 is not enough and I hear it.. So I am not 100% MP3 geek :))

--

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Serial Joe have a couple tracks on their second album (Face Down IIRC) which have no lyrics. (edit: is that considered bad grammar? Serial Joe being a group of people...)

Dragon on my Shoulder is the only one I can remember off hand.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Quote:

Pink Floyd?

They're dead.
Besides, I already know what pieces of their work I like. :)

MIDIs? You people are insane in the brain.

Deep Purple? I'll have to re-check them out.

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

is that considered bad grammar? Serial Joe being a group of people...

I beluieve so. Serial Joe is a singular (a single band), so you should use 'has'. :)

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

RallyMonkey
Member #4,615
May 2004

Pink Floyd is still touring.

NOTICE: This post's grammar/spelling/puncuation is definitive. English is frequently inaccurate.
---
"Puppet Sex!!!!" - Goalie Ca

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

Quote:

Pink Floyd is still touring.

They went under. The Wall was toppled. Hell, a minority of them ended up in asylums.

::)

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Quote:

minority of them ended up in asylums.

That was before you was born laddy (and nearly before me)

They do need a new songwriter I'll admit, but they can still play the old ones.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Joe Satriani's Summer Song is a guitar instrumental classic. Start from there.
Elias Viljanen plays something along the lines of Satriani.

You don't deserve my sig.

Go to: