Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » DJGPP and Windows XP

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
DJGPP and Windows XP
Paul79
Member #5,159
October 2004

On the DJGPP website it seems to indicate running on XP is ok, but with my recent experience I think I beg to differ. Can someone shed some light on this and maybe point me towards some RTFM's I can read?

Hello World.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

The site lies. XP's DOS support sucks, and therefore anything compiled using DJGPP will suck on XP. The compiler itself should work, though, so I guess it's not really lying. ;)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Paul79
Member #5,159
October 2004

One of the first lines of text on the DJGPP website is:

"DJGPP is a complete 32-bit C/C++ development system for Intel 80386 (and higher) PCs running DOS."

Ah well looks like I have to develop on a Win9x machine then.

Hello World.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

A J
Member #3,025
December 2002

you can develop on a winXP machine.
you just need to run it on a DOS machine.

if you want to use windows XP, then use the mingw compiler, it will feel like DJGPP but makes windows executables.

you could run a DOS emulator (virtual machine) on your winXP box.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

"DJGPP is a complete 32-bit C/C++ development system for Intel 80386 (and higher) PCs running DOS."

XP doesn't technically run DOS IINM ...

Quote:

if you want to use windows XP, then use the mingw compiler, it will feel like DJGPP but makes windows executables.

That might not work if he wants to do DOS-specific stuff MinGW doesn't support ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Why you cannot just use a Windows compiler like MinGW? Allegro is fully portable, so the code you write for MinGW will work for DJGPP as well.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Paul79
Member #5,159
October 2004

That would make life easier. Develop the game in Dev-CPP in XP and be able to compile using DJGPP as well. But I thought I read somewhere that you cant do that??

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

No reason you can't. As long as your code stays portable, you're fine.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Paul79
Member #5,159
October 2004

So I'm guessing I wouldnt use such things as AllegroGL etc?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You can if you can get Mesa GL's djgpp port to work, and then it'll be a software renderer.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I compiled MESA under DJGPP like a year and a half ago, after fixing a couple of warning/errors. And it was pretty slow. Hmm... that reminds me everyone at the ADVA (Argentinian Video-Game Developers Association) laughed out loud because I said MESA could be run under DOS without hardware acceleration... until they did realize they were wrong... I stopped posting in that list shortly after that... that gives you an idea of the level of game developers in Argentina ;)

Anyway, it is not worth using AllegroGL under DOS, the software renderer was quite slow, you would not be able to use more than 10 polygons on screen before it really slows down.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Paul79
Member #5,159
October 2004

I only want to learn 2D at the moment... not interested in 3D yet. And again the only reason for compiling in DOS is for arcade cabinets. There's so many remakes out there but they dont have support for DOS and even arcade monitor resolution. I think it will become more common to see that with all the retro and even vintage remakes being made now.

Go to: