Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Supprise Supprise :o

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Supprise Supprise :o
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I just installed Firefox on my dads machine... And I must say its running remarkably well :) For a p1 233, 64MB RAM, and running w95 OSR2, its running REALLY well. :) The "recomended" list on mozilla.org doesn't even list firefox. Maybe thats why it crashed when the installer started it? I dunno. But sofar it seems to be doing better than the newest IE I can get for this machine (5.5). I'm about to install Thunderbird, to see if I can't uninstall NS totally from this machine.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

• Surprise Surprise

• dad's

• it's x 2

• recommended

• that's

• so_far

cough

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Couldn't care less ya twit. Its almost 4am, I can't sleep etc.

Now, it seems firefox relies on some IE components, I tried uninstalling IE 5.5 to free some room, but Firefox is linked to URLMON.dll, which is now gone after the uninstall.. I'm now reinstalling. whoop. And Thunderbird's installer crashes :(

edit: Also, NS 4.7 does a very very very poor job of rendering this site :( Havend tried IE 3, but I immagine its about the same.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Go to sleep then.

• you

• It's

• Haven't

• imagine

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

You need to get a better hobby.

--

Gage Manson
Member #4,812
July 2004

Thomas: Remember Inphernic is why Clayton (Harbinger ZERO) left and gave up programming. Inphernic always put HZ down over his ambition and lack of experience everytime he posted or asked questions. Several people are guilty of this from what I've seen of the old threads I've read by HZ but Inphernic pops up most for doing it. I joined Allegro after Clayton(vgdesigner) came and said bye to me and some of his friends at GG to see what this was all about. I've been with GG for a while now and was going to join DE Studios on contract to help him make a shareware game with a few of our experienced GG members when he posted that DE Studios was no more and that he had destroyed all his books and accounts for DE Studios except the Micfo account which I gained from him after a long series of emails. Since I'm the new owner of DE Studios I'll be moving it away from Allegro and towards GG where I will continue to make games under my GG account with DE Studios as my call 'company'. Hopefully, in a few months I can get Clayton to take back his 'company' since DE Studios is his baby and not mine, but I will certainly get some games under his belt free of charge:).

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Harbinger ZERO gave up programming? :o Last I heard, he was going to take a break because he was gonna have a kid.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Gage, you should get in touch with Clayton. See if you can't restore his faith in that company of yours. I think you two would make a great team. You even have exactly the same writing style. :)

What's GG by the way?

Inphernic, "ya" was fine. And he said he can't sleep. Anyway it's not fair to pick on a dyslexic.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Gage Manson
Member #4,812
July 2004

Yeah that is why we hit it off. We liked the same things, type the same, and at times think the same. He got along with me because I never put him down for his ideas, instead I just told him to go for it if he really wanted it. The first game we were going to do together was his World of Gaia RPG and then my FPS that just combined several FPS things into one game like carrying two weapons, some spoof characters from Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Halo, etc, and the rest of the details are currently in flux over the HZ issues. GG is GarageGames but I may take DE Studios away from even that and talk to XGames3D.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

You both suck at paragraphing though... :P ;)

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Quote:

Inphernic, "ya" was fine. And he said he can't sleep. Anyway it's not fair to pick on a dyslexic.

Ok, I've just grown a dislike to "ya" and "u". I wasn't aware that Moose is dyslexic. Sorry about that. <3<3<3

Quote:

Thomas: Remember Inphernic is why Clayton..

Yawn. Why do I get the feeling that you are Clayton, who has just registered a new account?

edit:

Quote:

Inphernic always put HZ down over his ambition and lack of experience everytime he posted or asked questions. Several people are guilty of this from what I've seen of the old threads I've read by HZ but Inphernic pops up most for doing it

Provide links then. I, for one, am interested in seeing where this has happened without Destined Harbinger CEO (aka you) provoking it. (yes, I'm too lazy to search myself)

Quote:

Gage, you should get in touch with Clayton. See if you can't restore his faith in that company of yours. I think you two would make a great team. You even have exactly the same writing style.

I didn't actually read this before reaching the conclusion that you are Clayton, but suddenly it makes even more sense.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Harbinger ZERO gave up programming?

Well, he quit again, partly because Inphernic was pissing him off. He PM'ed me about it before he took off.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Quote:

he quit again

In order to quit, one should first start.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

Well, he quit again, partly because Inphernic was pissing him off.

Is it just me, or is this a childish and dare I even say stupid reason to give up game programming? I can understand that some people would take offense at certain actions, certainly — but giving up a vocation just for that? Silly.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I'm sure you can understand how easy it is to get discouraged under the right conditions, X-G. ;) I did say "partly" ...

Quote:

In order to quit, one should first start.

Very deep. You should send that in to The Reader's Digest. They've a page for people like you. ::)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I can understand it's easy to be discouraged and feel demotivated for a while. But to be discouraged to the point where you drop everything you're doing to go do something else? Even for some of the criticism I've (of course in my mind unjustified) endured, I've never been dissuaded that far - sure, I might not feel like doing whatever it is for a bit, but the thought of giving anything up completely has never crossed my mind, at least. YMMV.

You did say partly, but I did get the impression that it played more than a minor role in his leaving. If that's inaccurate, feel free to correct me.

--

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Actually, they have a whole magazine for people like me! Seriously though, remember this one?

edit: That's actually the only thread I could find and remember where I supposedly "pissed" him off. So let me get this straight - if I don't believe his lies, then I am a bad person? SO BE IT.

edit: Random picks from searching spree:

Topic from Nov, 2001 said:

Mandrake I was referring to my basic programming talent I've gained for the past two years.

Topic from May, 2002 said:

Problem learning textprintf();

A thread from April, 2004 where Mr. Ceo talked about his new game effectively died when Sir Perry said:

Any screenshots?

Topic from May, 2004 said:

I've been programming for almost 5 years now and in that time I've made a lot of connections in the gaming and programming inudstries.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Now that I've gotten a couple hours of sleep... I want to say that Inphernic's magazine of choice would have to be affiliated with [url http://www.despair.com].

--

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Just you wait. They'll start selling mini-Inphies which shout "YOU ARE WORTHLESS! YOUR MOTHER HATES YOU! EVERYONE COMPLIMENTS YOU JUST BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU CRY!" at the press of a button!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

I am an experienced game developer. I estimate I have 14 years of programming experience, and look how many games I've released. I will be working in game development from 2 August, less than two months after graduating from Cambridge University, and I have made some connections in the gaming industry.

Harbinger is an experienced game developer. I would estimate he has at least four years of experience (on and off), and look how many games he's released. As far as I know he is not working as a game developer, but he has made connections in the gaming industry. (Do you believe this last part?)

Now, this is very, very important. There is nothing wrong with being less experienced or less skilled than other people in a given field. I would never pick on someone for not being able to write games. But when someone tries to lie their way to the top of the ladder, stealing all the attention along the way, we bite.

"Gnash gnash!"

I'm crap at Japanese. The Japanese Studies students at Cambridge are all way ahead of me. They're like wow. But no one picks on me, because I don't pretend to be better at it than they are.

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Gage Manson
Member #4,812
July 2004

I'm not Clayton and if anyone on #allegro would care to look I'm positive that they will see that our service providers are different. I know for a fact that Clayton used a local ISP cause he was always worried about getting screwed by long distance numbers for other ISPs. Whereas I don't care and use AOL for my ISP.

Two, I know from when I pissed off Clayton when I turned down one of his ideas he gets very vulgar and curses like a sailor when offended. I don't know why he got offended by the critism of some one who he doesn't know. Either way he left DE Studios and I'm not the CEO I'm just holding it for him until I can get him to take it back.

Now that I think about it I don't know why he claimed to be a game programmer cause he was the one that just came up with the game ideas. Over at GG he got two guys to do the programming, me to do some 3D stuff for him since I'm messing with modelers, and someone else he never named to do 2D concept art. I've not heard from any of his 'alleged' team though. Now I'm starting to wonder about his abilities myself.

I guess I should have doubted him when he told me he had contacts, which I secretly contacted and asked if they had heard of him. All of them just said he asked their advice on how to get into the gaming industry. Inphernic, I've seen several posts where you make comments about his abilities, but now that I think about it in depth I realize that you were just telling the truth and I was just jumping the gun on pointing blame. I hope you will accept my apologies.

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Quote:

I'm not Clayton and if anyone on #allegro would care to look I'm positive that they will see that our service providers are different.

Conclusive proof? Scan your driver's license or something and I'll believe you. But, for the sake of a civil conversation, let's assume for now that you are not Clayton.

Quote:

Inphernic, I've seen several posts where you make comments about his abilities

I recall I said "maybe Hello World is just what you need" in one thread where he criticized the use of HW as the de facto first program most people ever write. The purpose of that was not to say "you suck", it was supposed to mean "by ignoring the easy stuff, you will only make it harder on yourself".

Quote:

now that I think about it in depth I realize that you were just telling the truth and I was just jumping the gun on pointing blame. I hope you will accept my apologies.

Don't you worry, I'm getting used to it, but I guess I have to tendency to.. get into these situations. I am not innocent by any standards.

Go to: