Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro Development » Allegro Naming Conventions

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Allegro Naming Conventions
MindCode
Member #2,031
March 2002

Ok maybe my post came off a little aggressive.

But I'm not saying everything should be wrapped in objects and use every C++ feature, that's just silly. What I am saying is that C++ does have some nice features that could be useful, and it is still (more or less) C compatible if you prefer C coding.

I'm not challenging C here. I have used C, but when an almost identicle language exist which has way more features, doesn't it make you feel C is lacking? There's one project in particular that I'm working on in C, but if I felt for one second that I could benefit from using C++ I would change over.

Having a new library wrap C++ functionality over a library that is exposed as C but uses C++ internally. Does anyone other than me feel this is a little redundant? A long time ago (I think during the 3.x code) I was looking at how allegro worked, and I couldn't help but think how much it would benefit from using C++. It just seemed there was a lot of stuff that would be much simpler to write in C++. And even now (in this thread) there are issues being discussed that could easily be solved by enbracing C++, yet we turn back to an older language. Why? It seems to me we embrace C out of convention more than anything else.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I don't mind if someone invests his time in making a c++ something for allegro, just don't mess the original up for those who like the classic allegro style, like me.

I am a c++ coder, but like how the way allegro is used. Though if you can make something that is much easier to use...

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

I dont think ive used this little rant before, and one of these arguments hasnt come up for a while so here goes..

C++ is not more powerful than C anymore than C is not more powerful than assembler. Power is defined as the limit of your capability. Perl is more powerful than sh. C is more powerful than perl. C++ is more convienent than C for some things much like C is more convienent than assembler.

I use C for small projects, but C++ for anything of mild size or larger. I understand that alot of you like C, but for the same reason you program in C as opposed to assembler( other than the fact that you dont know assembler very well ;) ), why cant you use the same reason to use C++ over C?

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Well, once again, you guys and your bickering seem to have offically derailed the original thread.

10 points!

>:(

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

To tell you the truth, C++'s extra strict type checking pisses me off. :)

Quote:

It seems to me we embrace C out of convention more than anything else.

To start, it was compatibility, for allegro 5? Useability. Not everyone uses C++, or even knows C++.

From my perspective, if addon's can access the C++ internals, why couldn't a C++ api layer? same diff no? In fact, theres no saying that a fancy Alleg++ header couldn't pretty up the internal API and forward it allong ;) (no doubt the internals won't be suited for direct use by most people... so some form of API on top will be needed.)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

A J: Not to forget templates, which are not only ultra-safe C++ equivalents of using void*s, but you can also overload them to do specific things with different types.

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

MindCode
Member #2,031
March 2002

Quote:

I dont think ive used this little rant before, and one of these arguments hasnt come up for a while so here goes..

C++ is not more powerful than C anymore than C is not more powerful than assembler. Power is defined as the limit of your capability. Perl is more powerful than sh. C is more powerful than perl. C++ is more convienent than C for some things much like C is more convienent than assembler.

I use C for small projects, but C++ for anything of mild size or larger. I understand that alot of you like C, but for the same reason you program in C as opposed to assembler( other than the fact that you dont know assembler very well ), why cant you use the same reason to use C++ over C?

That's exactly what I wanted to say, but I couldn't have put it so successfully. I was actually thinking of this a lot while I was at work today.

So if the library is C++ internal and exposed as C, rather than have someone wrap the api in C++ (like I said, it's highly redundant) why not expose the library as C++ and create a standard C wrapper. It seems to me this is what is being done already, but without explicity exposing the C++ code. Perhaps it would work somewhat like DirectX (COM) does in C. Would this appeal to both languages?

Maybe this similar to what Thomas was getting at.

And if I havent' made this point already: sorry if offended vanilla C fans.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

why cant you use the same reason to use C++ over C?

I don't like C++ :) And C++ doesn't like me. And I'm fine with that.

Quote:

Maybe this similar to what Thomas was getting at.

Not quite. More like, the C API is just going to be an interface to the internals which "may" use classes for the driver system. The internal code will likely not be anywhere near as simple as the external API... If Allegro5 does go the way of C++ internals, theres nothing stopping anyone from writing a C++ interface to the internals. :) And I for one, see no reason as to why it wouldn't be included in allegro IF it was clean and simple enough. But then, I'm not really a developer :)

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

I really don't care what language or prefix anything is in as long as allegro doesn't go to that crazy UpperLowerCase crap!! I hate that about windows API. I pretty much learned most of my programming alongside of Allegro, so I have been brainwashed with the under_score_style!!

MindCode
Member #2,031
March 2002

Quote:

I don't like C++ And C++ doesn't like me. And I'm fine with that.

Would you mind me asking what the big issue is? Just curious.

Quote:

I really don't care what language or prefix anything is in as long as allegro doesn't go to that crazy UpperLowerCase crap!! I hate that about windows API. I pretty much learned most of my programming alongside of Allegro, so I have been brainwashed with the under_score_style!!

You have a lot of anger for something that doesn't matter that much.

And one more point I was thinking about during work... Every cross-platform windowing api in existence (Glut, SDL, Cpw, Glfw, etc..) is written for C only (asside from wrappers) it would be nice to see an alternative.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

You have a lot of anger for something that doesn't matter that much.

Incorrect. Did you even read the original document that this thread was based of off?

AFunctionLikeThisIsActuallyHarderToRead();

Which was one of the main points of the document.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

I'm not angry, I just don't want Allegro's API to use that MixedCase stuff! Every time I see code like that, it makes me very upset!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Would you mind me asking what the big issue is? Just curious.

Maybe my skill as a programer? Not totally sure, It just takes me WAY to long to design and code a C++ OO api. And when I do get something, I usually find its not flexible enough... So its all me. :) me and C++ don't play well with eachother.

--

MindCode
Member #2,031
March 2002

I had a similar problem when first started learning C++. My first mistake was to put everything in objects, and try to form complex heirarchies of inheritance.

"I can have an object for everything, make it totally modular, and not have to worry about how they communicate". Man was that ever a waste of time. But we learn from our mistakes I guess, and I wasn't about to claim defeat. I'm now quite fluent with C++ and I'm glad I stuck with it.

Quote:

Incorrect. Did you even read the original document that this thread was based of off?

Which was one of the main points of the document.

Actually you said the "al" prefix had a confict with other libraries, and you said you were reading the other thread when you thought of it not that this was based on it (and I have read that other thread). And that function is hard to read because it's way too long. There's nothing wrong with camel notation.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

"I can have an object for everything, make it totally modular, and not have to worry about how they communicate".

Funny.. Thats how I code in C for the most part. ;D

--

MindCode
Member #2,031
March 2002

I find that style of design way too limiting. In C++ that design starts locking you away from your own code. Everything get's black-boxed (a term I hear a lot from other programmers).

I changed my approach to software design because of that. Eventually I learned that there was much more to C++ than classes. In fact I avoid using classes in C++ unless their necessary. I have a friend doing programming at University right now, who is making the common newb mistake of abstracting everything in objects. He won't take my own failure experiences as warnings either.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I put things in a box if needed... In my VM, the baisc "value" thing that holds variables, objects, etc is its own "box", that is a "value_t" with the appropriate api for accessing its value. The VM has its own "vm_t".. The language lexing/parsing stuff is a bit more involved..

The Assembler for the VM is layed out similar to:

buffer_t->lex_t->script_t

then after that, if you wan't to run the assembled code in the vm, you can either just give it to the vm_t or run it through the optimization function (which will likely make use of the buffer_t thing...), then give it to the vm_t.

Note though, thats not completely accurate... I've been reworking the VM, so the lex_t, buffer_t, value_t and vm_t is all new... it used to be for the parser, just regular C io, and the vm: class_t, prop_t, script_t, runner_t...

If you wonder about the layers in the parse code.. That lex_t api is flexible enough to allow switching rules in the middle of parsing.. so say I write a C/C++ like language for it, I can implement a asm() like instruction just by adding a new rule, and have that rule hand off the lexing to the lex_state_t for the current assembler :)

edit1: Programs are like Onions. Onions have layers. Or are Programs like Ca3k?

edit2: The prefix is not "al", its "al_" and "AL_".

--

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

Actually you said the "al" prefix had a confict with other libraries, and you said you were reading the other thread when you thought of it not that this was based on it (and I have read that other thread). And that function is hard to read because it's way too long. There's nothing wrong with camel notation.

What other thread? Unless your talking about the document, which I'd like to quote:

Quote:

Thanks to the underscore everything is much more readable. Why, do you ask?

Well, when we are children and learn reading, our brain patterns adapt to recognize easier the space (or here underscore, which is similar graphically) as word separator. For somebody who has learned to read the mixed case convention, using underscores to separate words may seem unnecessary. ButTheresTheKeyPoint: HeHasLearnedIt, ItsNotNatural (did you like that? yuck!). Instead, newcomers to programming find it easier when words are separated with underscores. Now we could argue if Allegro is aimed at novice or veteran programmers, but it's a pointless discussion: Allegro should be designed to be easiest to learn, easiest to use.

-----sig:

MindCode
Member #2,031
March 2002

Ok "document" pardon my error, but you don't have to be smug about it. And regardless of what the document was about this thread still implied nothing about underscore vs. camel notation.

Thomas, sounds like you got some cool stuff. Very object oriented for not being written in an OO language. Whatever works. I use Lua for my VM. Very cool language. What's Ca3k?

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

When your goal is to make a program that has objects, it's best to use a language that helps you organise the objects.
C works perfectly well with objects and C++ has just added some higher level helpers.
Why do I always get the feeling that very few understands what OOP really is about?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Thomas, sounds like you got some cool stuff. Very object oriented for not being written in an OO language.

It does what I need :) Keeps the code in neat little testable parcels :)

Quote:

Whatever works. I use Lua for my VM. Very cool language.

Never much liked lua.. Can't remember why...

Quote:

What's Ca3k?

Um... Its like a Parfait.. Everyone loves a Parfait! ;)

j/k. Sorry. too many cartoons ;D

What I mean to say, a program has layers (in my book). You build it up from various bits of code till you get to the top.. Or I do :)

My VM and the language parser for it all start at libc, then build on it.. the parser starts with the buffer_t layer that holds buffers of stuff to lex, then the lex_t layer lexes the buffers, (adding and/or removing them as it goes) then in the actual parser, it starts building language structures... (I haven't got to the higher level languages yet, so far the assembler just builds a binary opcode stream ;)) The VM builds from the vm_t which deals with types.. int, string, double and value_t's (which can be hold int, string, double, reference to value_t, or it can be a higher level 'thing', like a "class/object", or just a way to add another base type to the VM.)

So really, it looks OO, it kinda is, But I view it all in layers. Where each next layer builds on the layer before.

p.s. Ca3k bythe way is Cake. :)

--

A J
Member #3,025
December 2002

if you dont like this sort of thing:

then just write a set of wrappers
a_function_like_this_is_actaully_harder_to_read();

::)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

if you dont like this sort of thing:

then just write a set of wrappers
a_function_like_this_is_actaully_harder_to_read();

That's not really a good reason to WriteInMixedCaps. Better to not do that to begin with if you don't want to use it.
Besides, it won't work very well for global variables. (Yes, I know... it could be argued that a well-designed API has no or at least as few as possible global variables).

A J
Member #3,025
December 2002

write a wrapper for your global vars too.
there is absolutely no reason to argue about the name of anything, you can write wrappers, use MACROs etc. typedef etc..

so stop whinging about naming... your arguments just go to show how little you know about C/C++.

lamers!

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

AJ said:

write a wrapper for your global vars too.
your arguments just go to show how little you know about C/C++.

You can use a #define to make an alias for the variable name, but that isn't pretty and it could potentially cause problems as well.

Now, all I was saying that the argument that you can make a wrapper anyway renders any discussion on the naming scheme irrelevant is false and some thought should go into it.

Please refrain from posting offensive remarks and resort to name calling, ok? It just makes it look like you are unable to carry on a decent conversation.

1   2   3 

Go to: