Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » MUD Engine: v0.05 - Online!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
MUD Engine: v0.05 - Online!
Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Actually, Zemus is creating forgotten castle (101 - 200). I'm creating Elven Forest (201 - 300).
He's getting use to the editor (He's my cousin, staying at my place for a bit).

All the old players / areas got earased, because I converted a big portion of the file format. I'm going to implement a command that will load everything in the old format, and save it in the new format.. but going to take some time. Working on a few other things right now. :)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

AikonIV
Member #3,872
September 2003

Heh, I'd suggest making it start you somewhere other than the Void...it's pretty boring there :)

Is there a room number you can go into to get to your elven forest? Or do you have to load/somehow get into a different area first?

I don't really know how you are handling your areas. Do all areas have to have unique room VNums? Or are only the rooms from one area ever loaded at once?

rockslave
Member #873
January 2001

Nice! But I think we should begin in a ceratin game room. How do I get to your elven forest, Derezo?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

You can get there by typing "goto 201", sans the quotes. :)

Aikon: I handle the areas in a linked list. Each have a lvnum (low vnum) and a hvnum (high vnum) which is the range for the vnums available to them. Right now it only applies to rooms (properly).. because you can still create objects/mobiles outside of the area's vnum range.. but, later, it will matter for everything. Vnums are global (not in the programming sense ;)), and each area has a portion of those vnums assigned to them.

Areas are loaded from an areas.txt file, one by one.. I noticed you tried to create an area. :P
Aedit is littered with bugs right now, and you need to be very careful when using it. I did no error checking and assumed that every command is going to be entered with perfection. ;) Which is rarely the case...

I should change the void.. :P

rockslave
Member #873
January 2001

How do I choose my character class?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Well, since I don't have many (read: any finished) areas, I don't have any guildmasters. So, the only way to change your class at this time is using mset.
mset takes arguments like so:

mset <target> <field> <amount>

target can be 'self' for yourself, or other players/mobiles.
'field' can be CLASS, HP, MN, AGI, STR, LCK, VIT, INT, AP, etc.
Amount is the number you want to change it to.

For class, you need to use numbers (for now) to assign yourself a new class.
The only class with a skill right now is Wizard. They have scorch which takes 35AP to learn (using the learn command). Wizard is class #3. So you can switch to wizard by typing 'mset self class 3' :)

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

Well I played around some more on the mud. Getting much more stable, I wasn't able to crash it. I set myself as a wizard, but I couldn't find a single MOB to fight, and I had no HP.

Anyways, it's slowly coming along. Let us know when you do another big update.

------------
Radagar - So your vote is for A.D.H.D.?
Chris Katko - Well, that was uninten--ooh kitty!

CGamesPlay
Member #2,559
July 2002

Radagar: mset self hp -1 :)

And what is a MOB (you make it sound like an acronym)?

--
Tomasu: Every time you read this: hugging!

Ryan Patterson - <http://cgamesplay.com/>

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

MOB= mobile
A bit like an NPC in other words.

Pete

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

yep, MOB is an old MUD term meaning Mobile, as Peter said. It is used for any creature in a mud that isn't player controlled. A non-player character or creature.

------------

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Quote:

Let us know when you do another big update.

Will do. :)
On the 1.0 release I'll be making another post :)

Freke
Member #3,393
April 2003

Good mud, looks like it'll be very nice ;D
It's annoying when you type you pass and theres no *'s just plain text, but you probobly know that ;)

For everybody using telnet, just download putty, it's only 0.35mb.
download here

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Freke: Yeah, the password problem was resolved for a short period. Later it was noted that some clients (our good friend windows telnet, of course) don't want to do that. So they tell me they wont do it, and wait for me to give the ok or something.. and since I don't send that yet, they wait forever for me to do that. :(

So, once I add full telnet support, that code will be uncommented and used once again. :)

BTW, people may have noticed that I haven't added nothing to it this month at all.. that's because I'm coding my entry for HalloweenHack and working on my PHP, and I've been sitting at this desk a little less. :P I'll probably work on it more when winter hits..

PyroBoy
Member #725
October 2000

how dose it work?

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Connect to it via a telnet client (such as windows telnet, but I would recommend downloading something better). The address is in my sig, or in the first post. Port 4000.

Enter a name & password, and you're in. There's not much you can do right now, especially if you don't explore the commands.. as you start in a room with nothing in it. :(

Room 101 & 201 are entrances to areas. You can type 'goto 101' or 'goto 201' to go there. :)

(no more repeating myself ;))

If it doesn't connect, it could have crashed and I haven't rebooted it yet. If you connect and it's really slow, my cousin could be playing Vice City.. like he is now. ;D

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Ah, I finally managed to connect (BTW, is there a way to change the default telnet client in Windows? It would be nice to be able to click telnet links and have them opened with PuTTy...).

Can you get past the door in area 101?

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

He may have locked the door.. and I don't think unlocking is possible yet.. ahem. "open" is a command though, and the direction is the argument.
eg. 'open north'
Later I'll also add keywords to door so you can type 'open door'.. or 'open gate'

Quote:

... change the default telnet client in Windows?

[edited response]
In windows explorer (XP), go into the folder options (tools->folder options)
Select the 'file types' tab.
There's one named URL:Telnet Protocol. Edit it.

I first did a registry search, and found that line.. but I was looking for something that invoked telnet.exe. Looks like rundll32 does that.

Win9x tutorial can be found here.

Radagar
Member #2,768
September 2002

Hey Derezo, I sent you a PM.

------------

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I like MUDs.
But I already spend way too much time playing 'MUME'.
So I don't think I'll play your game. ;)

-----------

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Going to be updating the server in 2 seconds, and a few minutes after that I'm going to be updating my site with the newest version : 0.07. (Will be the third update on my site today, heh)
The previous version was 0.06 which had quite a few bugs compared to the version I've had running on the server for the past couple weeks. If you're interested, you can check the changes.txt file included in the download.

My project was also accepted into the Depot the other day :)

Wow. This thread is very old... I think it's about time it dies. :P

1   2   3   4 

Go to: