Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Sprites in Raycasting

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Sprites in Raycasting
Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

What in the world has my thread become! I'm dumb!. Uhhh, stop dis-ing OpenGL, cause that is what I'm using for my next "3D" project >8)

First off, thanks for all the help, I think what I thought was correct and what you are telling me is making me think that what I thought about being correct in thinking what I thought was good. Get that? Got that? Good.

My engine is not like Doom or Wolfenstien, it is an Advanced Raycaster much like the rex3D engine, but still a raycaster, just slightly different.

I guess I'm off to go work up some code for rendering sprites :) Thanks for the help.

-------------NEW POST-------------------------

Let me run this math by ya and make sure its good.

X is the offset of the sprite's center from the center of the screen.
P is distance to projection plane.
a is Angle between camera and sprite relative to the camera's viewing angle.

X = P * tan a

and of course I can get the height scale of the sprite via my translation function used on the walls and I can use the ratio of the translated height and the real height to figure out how wide to draw the sprite.

All that sound OK? It better be. 8-)

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quoted code:

odistance=(int)(DIV_VIEW/sqrt((obj_x<i>-px)*(obj_x<i>-px)+(obj_y<i>-py)*(obj_y<i>-py)));
oangle=RAD_TO_DEG(atan2(obj_y<i>-py,obj_x<i>-px))-pa;
if(oangle<0) oangle+=359;
if(oangle>359) oangle-=359;
odisplayx=(int)(oangle/0.1875)+(SCREEN_W/2);
stretch_sprite(front,object[0],odisplayx-odistance/2,100-odistance/2,odistance,odistance);

I have various observations. First of all, I think you actually want this:

if(oangle<0) oangle+=360;
if(oangle>359) oangle-=360;

e.g. the angle '360' is not the same as the angle '1'.

odistance=(int)(DIV_VIEW/sqrt((obj_x<i>-px)*(obj_x<i>-px)+(obj_y<i>-py)*(obj_y<i>-py)));
if(oangle<0) oangle+=360;
if(oangle>359) oangle-=360;

So, odistance is the perspective projected size of a square tile in pixels, oangle is the angle between the centre of the view and the object.

You've picked oangle to be always positive, so your objects are always on the right hand side of the screen here. It strikes me that you might instead want the following:

while(oangle<-180) oangle+=360;
while(oangle>=180) oangle-=360;
stretch_sprite(front,object[0],odisplayx-odistance/2,100-odistance/2,odistance,odistance);

i.e. you restrict your angle to the range [-180,179] rather than [0, 359]. You might be able to use 'if' rather than 'while', I'll let you think about that one!

Quote:

Let me run this math by ya and make sure its good.

X is the offset of the sprite's center from the center of the screen.
P is distance to projection plane.
a is Angle between camera and sprite relative to the camera's viewing angle.

X = P * tan a

I'm confused by P. If you've calculated distance from viewer to object and called this P then in your right angled triangle, you have one angle, and the hypotenuse and want to get the side opposite the angle, so you 'sin angle = opposite / hypotenuse'. Conversely if you want the side adjoining you use cos.

If you have the adjoining side, which I guess you mean is P, then yeah:

tan A = X / P
=> P * tan A = X

Although I reiterate my claim from earlier in this thread that adding objects in a trigonometric manner is silly and processor expensive.

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

Yay!;D I attached a screenshot...
Thank's Thomas!

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Do you have to keep attaching .pcx files? You can't view them inline. It's annoying. At least make them .bmp ... :P

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

BMP is too big. PNG/GIF is teh win!!

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Use png's ;) much better on the bandwidth.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I said at least, since he's likely generating these screenshots via Allegro, which can't save gif/png without extra libs.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Yeah, but everyone should have a program for converting BMP's to a multitude of file formats ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

In case he doesn't, I just want to express that even .bmp is better than .pcx, since .bmp can be viewed inline.

--

aybabtu
Member #2,891
November 2002

I do have a program, but it's 'new' and takes over a minute to load up...it's so much easier for me (:P) to do it this way...but, from now on...I'll convert them to GIFs.:)

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

ewwww, CODE, I'm dumb!. Theories for me. I eat theories for breakfast, and sometimes for lunch. Well, I'm going to make my entity engine, and then I'll work on the sprite rendering code. If I run into problems with my theories then I'll check out code, heh.

EDIT
BTW, here is my theory. Use the variables as described in past post.

http://www.cljy.com/~billy/Sprite Theory.JPG

1   2 

Go to: