Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Programming Not My Cup Of Tea

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Programming Not My Cup Of Tea
Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

After thinking about it and talking to entheh I came to the conclusion that Programming isn't for me. So I am giving up programming and will no longer take part (after this post) in anything on Allegro.cc or #allegro. Good Bye.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

gah... everyone leaving us :( Good luck Harbringer Zero we'll miss you.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Hate to see you go man. :( Have a nice life.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

kdevil
Member #1,075
March 2001

Everybody seems to be leaving...:(

We'll miss you, Harbinger. Good luck.

-----
"I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

DanTheKat
Member #1,990
March 2002

grabs trout and hunts down entheh

---
"Even the best spellcaster can't transmute bread into bread." - spellcaster

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

Goodbye!

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Go get him DTK.. I wanta see a good ol' trout slappin'

Rash
Member #2,374
May 2002

Quote:

After thinking about it and talking to entheh I came to the conclusion that Programming isn't for me.

Sorry, that sounds a bit too permanent to me. Moods are as volatile as the weather (and Ben is the living proof).

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Hey, my mood hasn't been volatile since ... months ago, I guess :)

And if you guys wanna know what happened, he said he could never get past the design stage before he got bored. I told him he should make a decision: either choose a game idea and persevere, or conclude that programming wasn't for him. He made his decision. I told him he was still welcome in the channel, but he left. Nice of him to mention me in his post here, I was touched. :'(:)

Rash, you know, you're welcome in #allegro too ;);D

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

You'll come crawling back.... just like BP did. ;)
Well, even if you don't, we'll miss you.

Sometimes I feel the same way, but it's fun for me even if I'm not doing it right. ;D

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Always sorry to see anyone leave... always happy when they return :)

Just to prepare everyone: I'm taking a short vacation in a month or two, so by that time, I won't be posting for a while. In the unlikely event that I'm missed, don't panic: I'm not leaving ;)

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

It's kinda cool to realize that you'll actually be missed -- this is a rather (impressively) tight community, for the most part.

To Clayton, in case you ever read this: If programming no longer brings you happiness, well, who am I to say that is bad? But if you simply do not complete projects, and still manage to learn some languages (a useful skill) and have a time of it, I say there's no reason to shut yourself off completely. Come speedhack with us, eh; at least you know you'll have a distinct beginning and end to that!

I'd actually say, as to being devoted to an independant side project: having enough motivation and drive to finish such a grand undertaking without being paid or otherwise pushed to do so is a rarity, not a requirement. Especially if you're aspirations are big -- most people simply don't have either the resources or the willpower to regularly progress.

psundlin
Member #175
April 2000

Bruce Perry said:

he said he could never get past the design stage before he got bored

Happends to me almost every day. I normaly start 3 or 4 projects every week. Today i posted my most completed game in months (still on queue when i write this). It is complete to 95% (more levels and an ending needed) so i think this will be my first completed game in a couple of years. :D

The thing is not to let that stop you. Just keep trying. But because it looks like you made up your mind, have a nice life anyway.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah. I agree with Zaphos. I have NEVER finished a project. And that only bothers me a little. Im in it for learning. Everytime I get somewhat good at one thing it becomes boring, and I move on to the next thing :) Well thats not quite true, but close enough.

to date I've worked on 2 VMs, 3 GUI libs, 1 CFG lib, 2 Perl/TK apps, 1 audio playing library, 1 HTTP server, 2 crappy games, 1 full screen midi player writen in allegro, 1 OpenGL model renderer, 1 model editor, 1 CGI client library in C, 1 super secret AI project, 1 avi2mpeg prog, 1 animation/movie player lib, 1 con lib (for dos menu like interfaces in allegro), 1 lib to tie Xine and Allegro together, 1 chat program for palmOS, numerous versions of my website..., and other miscelaneous stuff in the 5 or so years I've had a computer. AND none of them are what I'd call "finished".
Not finishing anything isnt a big deal unless you have a major problem with not finishing things...

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Rash
Member #2,374
May 2002

Quote:

Hey, my mood hasn't been volatile since ... months ago, I guess :)

Huh? Did you forget the mockup ban incident already?
And you never did say who the f*** glis was.

Quote:

And if you guys wanna know what happened, he said he could never get past the design stage before he got bored. I told him he should make a decision: either choose a game idea and persevere, or conclude that programming wasn't for him.

Presenting such an alternative to him was really stupid of you. Making a design is all nice and well in an official environment, but if you're programming for a hobby and want to get (really) good at it I would actually advise him to mess around and learn from his own mistakes. There's nothing more intense experience wise than spending hours searching for your own mistakes and finally fixing them (although admittedly such a prospect doesn't sound appealing). See wannabee and larval stage.

Quote:

Rash, you know, you're welcome in #allegro too ;);D

Sorry, I need to watch out Chris doesn't post any misinformation about C++ (unless of course he goes to the channel himself). :D

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Rash: Feel like solving my problems that I've been trying to solve for two freaking months? :P
That's not exactly what I call motivating.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Rash, you can either pick on me and alienate yourself with me, leaving me despising you (again) and you with an empty feeling, or we can treat each other as equals as I thought you'd already learnt to do. The choice is yours.

Regarding your penultimate point, I should like to draw your attention to the fact that this guy has been continually downloading, installing, burning to CD, deleting, redownloading, reinstalling, probably burning to more CDs, Dev-C++, Allegro, FBlend, DUMB, JGMOD, FMOD, several Linux distributions, QNX, and god knows what else, for the past year. I've rarely caught him actually using these downloads. When he does, he runs into a small problem (one that could easily be solved with a little experimentation or doc-reading), and promptly gives up and tries something else. However, since you obviously know better, you can take over as his teacher. ;)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Funnily, Clayton has left and come back before ;D

People who have trouble with the design should make some simple clones like Defender or even simple old Asteroids. Has CW ever finished a game? Even I have made Tetris :)

Always start with simple projects. Not that I practise what I preach ::)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Rash
Member #2,374
May 2002

Quote:

Synaps Jumps' linked list threads are a wonderful endorsement of the STL :) ...

Plagiarism! ;)

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Sorry to see you go Clayton, but I'm the first one who will tell you to follow your own vision. I was into game programming way back when I was 14-15 on a c-64 then lost interest in it all together until a couple of years ago. If you really want to make games you will. If you really want to draw comics you will. Good luck!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I hate Spellcaster's new sig :P

EDIT: I also hate being beaten ...

EDIT2:

Quote:

Sorry, I need to watch out Chris doesn't post any misinformation about C++

Hey! :P

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

I think spell's logic in his sig doesn't entirely contradict 23's: while it is good to understand and be capable of writing such methods, it is also good to have an efficient and easily used method that saves the programmer from trouble in time and/or performance critical programming.

As to Ben^H^H^HBruce's post; I agree that I don't know the entire situation and I'm not going to call Clayton's decision a wrong one, but for most coders in tough times and suffering multiple project failure, the case is closer to TF's and since clayton probably won't return anyway ... my message is still valid enough not to be edited away.

Rash: You don't like Bruce much, do you? You of all here should realize by now that he doesn't like to be teased or mocked ...

ShadowFang
Member #3,066
December 2002

Do what works for you man, good luck.

--
Guy!

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

It's a shame you go... and I don't get why. If I'd decide that I prefer building rice towers, I'd simply do so - and still drop in here from time to time.

So, consider to ping us from time to time :)
We'll miss you.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Cage
Member #1,277
March 2001

Goodbye, Clayton http://separts.areta.org/smileys/lonely.gif
Best of luck in whatever you do http://separts.areta.org/smileys/hug.gif

-----
"I'm dumb!. it prolly wont do anything just like Sub7 when u extract it to ur own system I'm dumb!." - theforgotten
"heh i got hit by sub7 before. I just dont know how i got it. It took me about 2 yrs to figure out which virus i had. I'm dumb!. then i started wanting to hack and i got sub7 just ot play around with it and i found the features in it that i had been affected by when i got the virus." - theforgotten

1   2 

Go to: