Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Anybody up for a debate?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Anybody up for a debate?
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Oh I forgot one... You can also think you know... But you're usually fooling your self. ;D

23: I think about this crap way too much.. In fact I get to a point where my mind goes blank and time seems to stop and everything seems so miniscule, me, you, the universe... ja. I think about allot way too much. ;D

edit:

Quote:

YES!! Exactly!

w0w. Were on a roll! Thats two things weve agreed on so far!! w0w. ;)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Quote:

A more interesting discussion is about intelligent design ("neo-creationism") vs. evolution. In some ways a more complex discussion.

I just can't let that by ... intelligent design is IMO even less valid than some flavors of creationism. It attempts to be scientific on the surface (mainly to pollute classrooms, it seems), but makes an innately non-provable claim, is started by crusaders against science, and furthermore is based off false premises, like the really stupid "irreducable complexity" thing and their mousetrap argument that was so easily turned against them.
If you want to believe that God helped evolution work, by all means believe it! ... just don't make up random unscientific crap to justify it, get no scholarly publications, then try to convince the school system to adopt your ideas as a valid enough to reach down to basic science high-school class-rooms.

... sorry for the tangential rant, but Ohio was attacked by these nuts recently ... I got excited.

Anyway, it's good to read religious debates here ... reminds me how intelligent and reasonable the crowd tends to be!

And yeah, the "free will" argument does suck. I've found the ceiling to be 100% of the time more interesting than that discussion ...
(then again, my ceiling is pretty. It's all white and stuff ;))

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

just don't make up random unscientific crap to justify it

?? ?? ??

Personally I find it very easy. If God exists (yes ;)) and if the Earth is billions of years old, ID == true. It also avoids all the pitfalls that "pure" evolution has, like the odds.

I wouldn't bang "irreducable complexity"; every time I've seen mathematicians (non-Christian ones, I might add) and evolutionists butt heads on this topic, the mathematicians make evolution look like a joke :) And what's the mousetrap argument?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Math is realtive. Count the number of attoms in the universe, then tell me how belivable those mathmaticians are. There isn't even a name for that number :) Becides "really really really large". Trying to explain something based on math and odds makes no sense. Especially odds. The fact that you can give something 'odds' means its possible, no matter how unlikely, Its bound to happen.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Well that "agreeing" thing was fun while it lasted ;) ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Really? IMO nothing is impossible. But things can be Improbable.

Serriously, think about how long eternity is... ;) Anything can happen given enough time.

--

Anomalous
Member #3,112
January 2003

Agreed TF,

If you have an infinite number of rednecks, riding in the back of an infinite number of pickup trucks, shooting an infinite number of road signs with their infinite shotguns, they will eventually spell out all of the entire contents of the Old Testament in brail! :P

(EDIT - spelling/grammar/presentation/emoticons/content)

[EDIT - I decided to put that ^ in my sig.]

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

Anomolous said:

To suggest that there is a "probabilistic" force at work flies in the face of well grounded observations to the contrary.

Au contraire! Quantum mechanics is a model developed to fit observations and to predict observations that have since been confirmed. It is considered a very strong theory... at least as strong as Einsteinian physics because it predicts well grounded observations so well. If quantum mechanics "flies in the face of well grounded observations to the contrary", then the theory would have been shot down decades ago.

Thomas said:

It's my oppinion that you can't know ANYTHING. You can belive or think something is ture/false etc... but you can't absolutely know.

I agree.

Zaphos said:

I just can't let that by ... intelligent design is IMO even less valid than some flavors of creationism.

I agree.

23yrold3yrold said:

Personally I find it very easy. If God exists (yes ) and if the Earth is billions of years old, ID == true.

If I exist (yes ::)), and if the cat sitting in front of me is only 1 yr old, then surely I must have designed the cat. There's a difference between "I believe God designed life" and "Through logic and scientific observation, I can deduce/infer that God designed life." ID claims the latter. However when examining the logic and the evidence, ID's case is very weak. I think you're better off going with faith.

Quote:

what's the mousetrap argument?

The argument in a nutshell is that the individual pieces of a mousetrap are useless; only when all the pieces are in place do you get a working design. Therefore this is evidence of ID, because how can evolution work if the individual pieces have no purpose and so no reason to be selected?. There are two interesting problems with this argument. One is that in the example given, the individual pieces of a mousetrap, like the spring or latch, are quite useful alone. Second is that there are tons of evidence of isolated biological pieces being quite useful without needing other pieces, and would of course be naturally selected due to there usefulness. Just because we so far can't determine the purpose of every little piece that also existed millions/billions of years ago doesn't mean no useful purpose existed then or even now.

I'll also mention an interesting article in the most recent issue of scientific amercan. It describes an experiment, similar to genetic algorithms, where a model was developed to mimic natural selection in trying to create certain types of electrical circuits. As a test of fitness, one can choose something like how well the circuit acts as a band-pass filter of two particular frequencies. Some interesting properties emerged: (1) It was able to recreate, without human interference, human, patented, solutions to a variety of circuit designs. (2) It was able to find designs of certain types of circuits superior to the best human designed ones (in the sense of how well the circuit works as intended). (3) Even "superior" designs showed particular attributes similar to biology... like totally useless portions of the circuit that has no apparent advantage.

[edit] I'll add that the authors of the sci-am article made no claim about how such an experiment is a big piece of evidence in favor of evolution. It was taken for granted that the evolution theory was strong enough.

[edit2] I forgot to comment about another quote:

Anomolous said:

How is it possible that a system behaves in a predictable manner if it's constituents are truly random in nature?

You're not the only one to wonder... even physicists wonder! Quantum mechanics is a theory about small things like atoms. Many technologies were conceived of and developed using this theory, like electron microscopes. Einsteinian physics works great for the macroscopic world. Where these two giant theories collide and how they work together is a big conundrum. When you hear about "Grand Unification" theories, it is this problem physicists are trying to solve.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

You're not the only one to wonder...

Ok.. My knowlege of Quantum Physics I basically limited to it's spelling... But doesn't it sortof state that nothing is truely random, and that anything is predictable?

--

Johan Henriksson
Member #11
April 2000

right on! only it's the reverse ;) there are some rules about the randomness but otherwise it isn't all that weird.

the universe expands because of generation of dark matter. what the scientist have seen is that the expansion is not slowing down in a way as much as one would expect.

earlier, there was also doubt that the universe would stop expanding. this goes beyond normal intuition of mathematics with evil cauchy sequences in non-newtonian space but it says with simple words "it's not gonna stop expand in time" :)

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

Quote:

the universe expands because of generation of dark matter. what the scientist have seen is that the expansion is not slowing down in a way as much as one would expect.

The first statement is simply a hypothesis that is a long way from being a strong theory. The dark matter theory came about because observations of spinning galaxies and how galaxies clump together don't match the observed amount of mass in these galaxies, assuming Einsteinian physics is correct. Perhaps there is mass that cannot be observed with the thechnology we have. Second, the reason why physicists expect the expansion to slow down is gravity. Gravity attracts mass, and so it explains why stars and gravities clump together. It also why many physicists in the early 20th century thought the universe will collapse back on itself. To explain why the expansion of the universe appears to be accelerating rather than decelerating due to gravity by claiming new formation of dark matter doesn't make sense. Wouldn't creating more mass (from where?) increase the gravitational force and thereby slowing the expansion more?

Sqitching gears, here's an observation that quantum mechanics is able to explain:

Experiment: shoot a single electron towards a screen with two slits very close together. Put a photographic plate behind the screen that can detect an electron. What would you expect to see? Perhaps if the electron goes through a slit, you should see a point on the photographic plate, otherwise nothing.

Observation: A diffraction pattern is created (e.g. multiple lines or circles can be seen) with only one electron.

Discussion: Obviously newtonian physics has a lot of trouble explaining this observation. Fortunately we know how diffraction patterns are created. You need at least two sources. For example, when two rocks are thrown in a pond, their ripples will interact and interfere with each other, causing a particular wavefront. One rock thrown in a pond obviously doesn't do this. But following this logic, how can a single electron "interfere" with itself? Quantum mechanics offers this explanation: The electron went through both slits at the same time. The position of the electron can be modeled as a probability "cloud". Half of this cloud went through one slit, the other half went through the other slit! Only when the electron hits the photographic plate do we know what position it occupies at impact.

Quantum mechanics does not say a position of a particle cannot be observed. It only says you cannot predict it's position. Note that this contradicts newtonian physics, which relies on the fact that you can predict an object's position.

How can you call this science if you can't make repeatable observations of position? The answer is that though the predicted position is random, the probability function is not. E.g. one can't predict if the next coin toss is heads or tails, but one can predict that 50% of the time it's heads and 50% of the time it's tails.

Anomalous
Member #3,112
January 2003

I understand that Quantum mechanics can also accurately model things we can observe in nature, but I don't agree that it is an accurate picture of the the forces at work. I don't believe that it is possible to have a predictable system composed of random parts. I believe than when you resort to probability, you are compensating for a lack of knowledge. I believe that there is more to know, and that these probabalistic methods will give way to deterministic methods given more time and research.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Today, my physics teacher said:

Our solar system, the Milky Way ...

;D

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

Quote:

I don't agree that it is an accurate picture of the the forces at work

I have no problems with this position.

Quote:

I believe than when you resort to probability, you are compensating for a lack of knowledge. I believe that there is more to know, and that these probabalistic methods will give way to deterministic methods given more time and research.

This is what every physicist believed 100 years ago, that everything is deterministic. Yet since then, more research was done, and now most physicists believe that everything is not fundamentally deterministic. No deterministic theory has yet to adequately explain the diffraction observation above, for example. Believe me, many smart people have since tried.

Quote:

I don't believe that it is possible to have a predictable system composed of random parts.

I'll give you an example: the atomic clock. We'll use the common one based on cesium. The atomic clock works by measuring how often the cesium atom oscillates between two quantum mechanical states. (Note that quantum mechanics describe distinct states with nothing in between... no particle can occupy "in between" these states. And we have never observed any in-between states. A deterministic theory breaks down if it can't have infinite number of in-between states) Now which state the atom resides in is determined by probability. Yet when we measure this oscillation after exposing the atoms to a certain EM radiation, we find that the frequency of oscillation is incredibly predictable. So predictable that we have defined one second as 9,192,631,770 cesium quantum state oscillations per second.

How about another example: Statistical thermodynamics uses statistics to accurate describe and predict macroscopic things like temperature and pressure.

Anomalous
Member #3,112
January 2003

I understand that a statistical approach can lead to accurate results, and I understand the idea of Chaos Theory.. and how it can be applied to things like fluid dynamics, or this diffraction observation you mention, and even swinging pendulums that aren't always predictable via deterministic means. I figure quantum mechanics is the result of reaching a dead-end with determinism, where it became impossible to gather the data we needed to continuing making deterministic models. I'm beginning to repeat myself, though... we'll agree to disagree. ;)

[EDIT]
Forgot to address the atomic clock. If we can say with certainty that there are that number of oscillations per second consistently, then wouldn't you think that this thing works a bit like clockwork? And that these quantum mechanical states are a "band-aid" so to speak?...A way to quantify the clockwork that is beyond our perception?

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

Quote:

I figure quantum mechanics is the result of reaching a dead-end with determinism, where it became impossible to gather the data we needed to continuing making deterministic models.

There are three basic conclusions one can make when there is no evidence of a deeper layer of understanding that would support a deterministic model. (1) There is no deeper layer that would support a deterministic layer, or (2) there is one, but we lack the technical ability to observe this evidence, or (3) I have faith that there is such a layer despite the lack of evidence, even if we never ever find any. I'll assume you subscribe the option 2.

However, I think that there is a problem with option 2. I have yet to hear of a logical deterministic hypothesis that is still able to explain the observations we do have and yet not contradict itself. For example one can argue that we see a diffraction pattern because the electron actually does split in two and then merge back together. Except this contradicts conservation of mass, a deterministic theory.

Also note how these three options are the same options with the question about the existence of God.

Quote:

And that these quantum mechanical states are a "band-aid" so to speak?...A way to quantify the clockwork that is beyond our perception?

Careful here. You're starting to use meta-physical or philosophical arguments. Anyone can say the same thing about Newtonian physics, for example, or any other theory, deterministic or not. E.g. what is gravity? Is newtonian physics just a way to quantify a force that we observe but don't understand why it is present? Is it just a band-aid?

Anyways the observation of these quantum states is not beyond our perception. They can be directly measured. We can observe particles occupying state A and state B, but we don't see any particles occuping a state in between, but we know we are capable of such an observation because we can see state A and B.

Anomalous
Member #3,112
January 2003

Yes, option 2. I fail to see the connection between that option, and the question of God. Sure we don't have the technical ability to see God, and we never will.. He's simply a long enduring fantasy, IMHO. (this is something I won't debate with people, it's too played out)

But, I'm going to give you the last word, as this thread is becoming very long. You've proven to be bright and well-read.. nice talking with you ;)

Jeremy Ouellette
Member #3,049
December 2002

There are three stages of development for individuals and society.
Theology -> Metaphysics -> Science
It is not stupid to be a theologist, if you don't know any better. Just as you are not stupid to think metaphysically (Oil contains the ESSENCE of fire, so it burns), unless you know any better. Scientific thinking, though, is the ultimate truth. All others will fail in any attempt at success. Success is merely luck when you trust God to do it, because, damn it, he didn't do jack.

Well, that's my 2 cents anyways ;)

Check out my website! [url http://www.mcvador.lovesgames.com]
My game, NewAnoid! NewAnoid
"Do or do not, there is no try." If Yoda was our manager, we'd all be out of a job!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

If I exist (yes ), and if the cat sitting in front of me is only 1 yr old, then surely I must have designed the cat.

God has claimed responsibility for the creation of the universe. Since God created the universe and we are a product of evolution (both of which I'm asserting for argument's sake :)), then God used evolution to create us. You have no connnection to the cat.

Quote:

I'll also mention an interesting article in the most recent issue of scientific amercan. It describes an experiment, similar to genetic algorithms, where a model was developed to mimic natural selection in trying to create certain types of electrical circuits.

The key word being "developed". An intelligently designed model, even ;)

Quote:

It was taken for granted that the evolution theory was strong enough.

That's nice :)

Quote:

It is not stupid to be a theologist, if you don't know any better

And if you do? I've done a fair amount of research, thank you very much. I could say "you don't know any better" with just as much validity ::)

Quote:

Scientific thinking, though, is the ultimate truth. All others will fail in any attempt at success.

The scientific method is quite lousy when applied to unique past events that can't be tested. And if God exists, science is completely incapable of finding him. Therefore, if science can't prove God, that don't prove squat :) Science and God aren't even at odds anyway; you think there's no such thing as a non-athiest scientist?

So much for ultimate truth ::)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

How do you see how many people posted on a specific thread? -- I'm wondering if this is any where near the amount of people who posted on the game in 20 lines of code thread..... (I think this one still has less not sure) anyways I told "sinbad" that I wasn't going to argue with him anymore -- While praying about it, I realized that if there are giraffe on the moon (and there arn't :)) it has nothing to do with an argument for or aginst christianity and was just a silly thing to argue about, it was only addressed to christians to make us look stupid (worked on me 8-))

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Can't you see the reply number in the forum? Up to 95 now; I think the 20 lines of code thread got to 124 or so ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Oh ok -- I didn't look there, I was just clicking on the hyper links that allegro.cc sends to my email.... thats all I do when I'm not that bored, and I didn't know carm.org had forums.....

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

23yrold3yrold said:

God has claimed responsibility for the creation of the universe. Since God created the universe and we are a product of evolution (both of which I'm asserting for argument's sake ), then God used evolution to create us. You have no connnection to the cat....The key word being "developed". An intelligently designed model, even

You missed my point, of which I may not have been clear about. The difference between your argument and that of intelligent design is that yours is based on faith rather than science. Proponents of intelligent design argues that their whole line of reasoning does not require faith, just pure logic and scientific evidence. You start off with "God created the universe", a statement that can be attributed to faith rather than scientific evidence. Proponents of intelligent design would argue: because the design appeared to be so intelligent (not the model) we can deduce that God (or at least some super intelligent alien being) exists. This is different than arguing that someone designed evolution. In fact I would venture to guess that many Christian/Jewish/Muslim biologists reconcile God and evolution in this way.

Quote:

The scientific method is quite lousy when applied to unique past events that can't be tested.

The "scientific method" is not what's lousy. It's the paucity of evidence. This doesn't mean the evidence is not there. We find new evidence all the time. It's just that we don't know where to look, and for sure many pieces of evidence are lost. Unlike many physics experiments that can be duplicated very shortly, it takes time to find another fossil or vase or city wall or iridium particles etc.

Quote:

And if God exists, science is completely incapable of finding him. Therefore, if science can't prove God, that don't prove squat

Atheists should realize that disbelieving in God is a faith as well. Which is why they don't get any further than Muslims when arguing with Christians. ;)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

You start off with "God created the universe", a statement that can be attributed to faith rather than scientific evidence.

Must evidence always be "scientific" to be evidence?

Quote:

Atheists should realize that disbelieving in God is a faith as well.

They should, but they never do. ::)

Here's a question; not a challenge, just something I'm curious about. What does genetics have to say about inherited knowledge? Y'know, like a spider spinning a perfect web first try, or bees understanding that dance they do (some guy needed 20 years to decipher it). If anyone here knows of such things.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Anomalous
Member #3,112
January 2003

Atheism has different flavors, you might refer to them as weak and strong. Weak atheism is what you're describing (Plucky)... someone asserting themselves as an Athiest by denying the assertions of others.

Strong Atheism is asserting that you believe in a universe governed by natural law.

The word Atheism itself is unfair, because by definition it means anti-theist... a weak assertion.

Go to: