Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Anybody up for a debate?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Anybody up for a debate?
gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Mars: didn't read my previous post or his edit, huh? ;)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Uhm? Can a fix non-moving star be red-shifted? Distance shouldn't have anything to do with it, or am I wrong again?

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Mars
Member #971
February 2001

more like the last 5 posts

mental note must remember always to refresh before posting

--
This posting is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Uhm? Can a fix non-moving star be red-shifted? Distance shouldn't have anything to do with it, or am I wrong again?

Nope. Distance has little or nothing to do with it. It's red or blue shift depends on weather you or it is moving away or towards it or you. (i'm sure that makes lots of sense... cough)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

gah, I haven't really kept my astronomy up-to-date since high-school :)

But IIRC all stars as seen from Earth are red-or-blue-shifted (almost all are red, but some are blue because of peculiar motion etc), right..?

[EDIT]
And distance has something to do with it - the stars the farthest from us are normally those that have had the most difference in velocity compared to us.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Red-shift is the optical version of the Doppler Effect. An object moving quickly enough will cause light reflected off it to shift in wavelength, depending on the direction it's moving relative to the observer.

Edit: Thomas: its >:(

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

And distance has something to do with it - the stars the farthest from us are normally those that have had the most difference in velocity compared to us

Not nessesaritly.. What if a star that was flung from its galaxy speeds by our solar system (really really fast). Now, I doubt its distance has anything to do with the color shift.

edit: AAAAAHHHHH!!!! Its the attack of the spelling nazis.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

so is gnolam's over simplification wrong?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

so is gnolam's over simplification wrong?

Only as mush as any over simplification is. :) (ie: no)

--

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Majestic Møøse said:

What if a star that was flung from its galaxy speeds by our solar system (really really fast). Now, I doubt its distance has anything to do with the color shift.

You've seen this happen a lot I presume? ;)
Notice I said normally, and with "the farthest from us" I mean like in other galaxies :)

--

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

so if I understand you're trying to say they've seen the edge of the universe but it's not like it's all been examined or anything?

edit:

Quote:

but it's not like it's all been examined or anything?

the second it's should probably it has, can you write it's for an it has? (checking with the grammer people)

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

Quote:

And distance has something to do with it - the stars the farthest from us are normally those that have had the most difference in velocity compared to us

Distance, itself, has nothing to do with relative star velocity. Howeer, there appears to be a trend that stars further and further away from us appear to have greater and greater red shift... implying that stars are moving away from us faster and faster. A big cosmological debate these days is to explain this observation. e.g. is space-time stretching, causing "anti-gravity"?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Not only that, but some researchers that were trying to measure the matter in the universe noticed that the galaxies and whatnot at the edge of the universe are speeding up. (not slowing or staying at a constant speed as some/most thought)

edit:

Quote:

You've seen this happen a lot I presume?

Yeah, I've seen that one episode of "The Sliders" A couple times. ;D

--

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Michael: both your "it's"'s are fine. Grammar has an a though ;)

Earth is one of nine planets orbiting the Sun. Some of these planets have one or more moons. Some of them have rings.

The Sun, aka Sol, forms the heart of the Solar System and is one of billions(?) of stars in the Milky Way galaxy, many of which have planetary systems of their own. The galaxy is disc-shaped and has spiral arms where the stars are brighter, denser or both. If you dark-adapt your eyes for long enough, you may be able to see a strip stretching around the sky (much like the one I created in my second 20-line game); you are looking along the plane of the Milky Way. Incidentally the plane of the Solar System does not lie in the plane of the Milky Way; it is steeply inclined.

Other galaxies are a long way away and are quite small in the night sky. You need binoculars at least, perhaps a telescope, to see any. The nearest and brightest is the Andromeda Galaxy (I can't remember which constellation it lies in (i.e. which stars it appears near to from Earth), but I could look it up).

The Universe is expanding. The red-shifting of distant objects as they move away from us is analogous to the way in which a car engine sound gets lower-pitched when the car moves away.

I wonder why I bothered writing all that... I must be bored :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Quote:

I wonder why I bothered writing all that...

Yep me too. I always thought everyone knew this type of stuff. (or maybe I have actually been learning something in my lessons physics after all...)
Personally I find physics on the microscopic level much more interesting than on the macroscopic.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Personally, I used to watch WAAAAAAAYYYYYY too much 'Discovery'. :) (oh, and TLC when it wasn't the commercial whore it is now)

--

Anomalous
Member #3,112
January 2003

Well you can't see the edge of the universe.. you can only see as far as the speed of light allows. What you might percieve as the edge is is really not the edge at all... it may have been millions and billions of years ago, but the edge of the universe at this moment (and its arguable when this moment actually is) is invisible to us simply because light has not had nearly enough time to reach us from there so that we can actually see it. There are likely billions of stars so far away that light they emit has not had time to reach us... the enormous expanse that the universe is makes it unknowable, no matter how technologically advanced we become. There are many more tangible theories that agree with this.. Godel's Incompleteness Theorem, for example.. (the liar's paradox)

And in the vein that this thread started in, I'm an Atheist.. and I agree with Matthew that a debate between a theist and an atheist is pointless except as an intellectual pursuit. (took years to come to that conclusion) BUT! I can make some interesting points for both sides... it's interesting to think about the laws of nature, and how measurable and predictable they prove to be under enough scrutiny. Of course there are things that are still beyond our grasp, but if you accept the assumption that all things in nature are ultimately measurable, and governed by natural constants (like physics).. and if you subscribe to the idea of a "beginning" as opossed to an infinite time-line, if you were to go back to this "begining" and set time in motion again.. wouldn't the very same time-line reoccur being that nature behaves in constant and measurable ways (presumably)? And would that not prove the concept of free-will to be false?

Of course there are a thousand ways to argue for and against that... just something interesting to chew on though.. ;)

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

James Lohr said:

Personally I find physics on the microscopic level much more interesting than on the macroscopic.

I'm quite the opposite :)

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Anomalous
Member #3,112
January 2003

Oh c'mon.. you have to give it up for the Bosons.:P

Michael Jensen
Member #2,870
October 2002

Quote:

wouldn't the very same time-line reoccur being
that nature behaves in constant and measurable ways (presumably)? And would that not prove the concept of free-will to be false?

Actually I used to wonder about that a lot, (not the free will part tho this is the first time I've heard that), not to argue or anything but just because the same situation keeps reoccuring does that mean you don't choose your reactions? just because you choose the same ones everytime (based on your experience I suppose?) doesn't mean it's not you choosing it right?(just curious)

I think there is a certain amount of randomness in the way people sometimes act, maybe I'm using the wrong word for randomness, and I really just mean unpredictability.... not sure

OT: I used to also wonder things along this nature of things happening the same way that IF you could go back in time, would it be like a movie playing where you cant interact with people and things and you'd be able to walk thru people and stuff -- that would be interesting.....

Plucky
Member #1,346
May 2001

Quote:

if you were to go back to this "begining" and set time in motion again.. wouldn't the very same time-line reoccur being that nature behaves in constant and measurable ways (presumably)? And would that not prove the concept of free-will to be false?

This was a popular scientific viewpoint prior to the 20th century. Newtonian Physics implied that nature was deterministic and so people wrangled over the free will problem much more than today. In the 20th century, quantum mechanics says that nature is not so. Nature is probabilistic (see my point above about Einstein's quote about God and dice) and in certain ways not truly measurable.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Actually I hear the "free will" argument a lot. It has got to be the most boring discussion in history. I would sooner argue over who is the hottest Spice Girl, or even best pizza toppings. ::)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Anomalous
Member #3,112
January 2003

I find it interesting 23, sorry. Although I may find the hottest spice girl more interesting under the right circumstances... :o

And as for quantum mechanics, I think it's bunk. Just because we don't have a means to observe something without disturbing it doesn't mean, left to their own devices, things will still behave in a "probabilistic" manner. And then you come to the tree falling in the forest scenario. To me quantum mechanics means that the universe is unknowable, like I said before. You can't know something without observing it, and you can't observe something in it's natural state because the act of observing causes a disturbance. We can, however, observe the behavior of a system composed of unobservable elements without influencing the system. And from those observations you can derive the laws governing the system, which can only be "macro-laws" consisting of the unobservable forces at work in the system. Of the laws we've been able to describe with more certainty, they are all deterministic in nature. To suggest that there is a "probabilistic" force at work flies in the face of well grounded observations to the contrary. How is it possible that a system behaves in a predictable manner if it's constituents are truly random in nature? If you call something "probabilistic" you might as well call it "God". Probabilities by definition are a means to understand something you haven't directly meausred... to me, probabilities and God stop short of the truth, for lack of a better explanation.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

You can't know something

It's my oppinion that you can't know ANYTHING. You can belive or think something is ture/false etc... but you can't absolutely know.

Just IMO.

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

It's my oppinion that you can't know ANYTHING. You can belive or think something is ture/false etc... but you can't absolutely know.

Just IMO.

YES!! Exactly! Do you have any idea how hard I have had to pound this into some people's skulls?!

This is where I hate athiests that say faith is for the weak (most recently told me on GameDev). Everyone needs faith in something to believe it's true; very little in this world is proven beyond doubt.

And since no one answered Michael Jensen (unless I missed it), your post count is in your profile.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Go to: