Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » Try out my jelly program!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Try out my jelly program!
james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I've just spent 2 hours making it from scratch!
It's quite a cool concept and I suppose it could be used in a game.

Try it out and tell me what you think (its only 20 Kb so it'll only take a sec!) - but be gentle you don't want to hurt it......

www.geocities.com/james_lohr/jelly.zip

-move mouse to move the jelly
-left click drops it
-right click resets it (trust me you'll brake it in no time and'll need to fix it..)

Could you suggest how I could use it in a game cause I can't think of any really good ideas.

PS (is it jelly or jello in the UK? I can't remember even though I've lived here 7 years - back home in South Africa it was jelly.)

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Nice effect!

And no, I can't find a good game use for it either... unless you want to make a dynamic version of the Jell-O level in James Pond 2 ;)

[EDIT]
And what's thumbs.db doing in that zip file? Remove it and you can shave an additional 2 kB from the file size :)

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

If it were a ball you could use it as a weapon, JELLY BLASTER!!!

Is it possible to have multiple ones interacting? you could have the tower of jelly, or jelly blocks you must walk/jump across.

Marcello

the_y_man
Member #1,770
December 2001

neat! now that, my friend is l33t!:P

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

Very funny! And guys, I guess you figure it out yourselves, but just in case, edit the texture.bmp, import your own face f.i. Mind the palette.

Here's an idea to a game: The Amazing Cucaracha Busting Jelly! Smash the moving bugs with the jelly but don't smash the nice ladybugs or aunt Dorothy's porcelain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

hey, don't suppose you can compile a linux version or something? Or maybe provide source? (thats easiest)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Hoorah for jelly cube! :D
And yeah, it's kinda easy to break. Just move your mouse quickly through the cube and it will invert and do all kinds of funky things ... arrange it so that the sides will never go through their neighbouring sides, perhaps?

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Eponick
Member #3,097
January 2003

Yay jelly!

To bad it gets all messed up and triangle-ie when it moves to fast :(

Gimme source, I had an idea!

Jelly pong!
WHEE!

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I'll see if I can make it a bit more robust (I do remember once getting it to be like a chunk of rubber in an earlier program.)

And no I haven't been able to get two bits of jelly to interact but I know it is possible (anything is possible in C! I just need to know more maths). I have been able to get it to interact with a solid background (like the backgrounds in my slugs game.)

I've included the source code as well now.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Hey, make a competion, best game using jelly.
I'm gonna download the stuff now. :)

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

haha.. nice! :)
It gets a little insane if you decide to whip it from side to side continuously though ;)

I like the tower of jelly idea.. :)
Could be some interesting collision detection problems ;)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

A J
Member #3,025
December 2002

this jelly rocks!

i like the tower of jelly idea...
you must stack more and more jelly, the higher you get the more woobly it gets.

and its set on a picnic table.

and ants have found the "mother-load" and are begining to eat the base of your jelly tower..
but if you wobble it just right, it creates an anti-ant jelly shockwave that repels ants.

and as the ants die near the edge of the jelly tower they start piling up forming a baracade of dead ants that prevent more ants from getting to your tower'o'jelly.

Eponick
Member #3,097
January 2003

I still wana see Jelly Pong

Marcello
Member #1,860
January 2002

Reminds me of sodaplay

Marcello

Mike Vox
Member #2,701
September 2002

Yes, but where is the whip cream!? Oh wait, I'm thinking of Jell-o. ;)

There's an old arcade game called Food Fight. In that game, you had different kinds of food piled up in random positions on the screen. You would pick up a piece of food and throw it at the chefs, who were trying to hit you also. Something like that where you throw Jelly around would rock.

Mike_Vox

Karadoc ~~
Member #2,749
September 2002

I reckon it funny when you move it fast.
At first it's just wobbling fairly normaly...
then it gets bigger and bigger!
I thought it was going to explode!

Very nice :D

-----------

Eponick
Member #3,097
January 2003

I think my jelly does explode when i start to move it around alot :P

I made up a little game within that demo, I'm dumb!.
See how high you can throw the jelly without it messing up :P
Try not to take your mouse that far from the bottom when you throw it, it makes a cool laval lamp effect :P

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

Now thats a good idea!

The thing is I'm trying to make it so that the jelly can't mess up (it is quite ugly when it does to be honest).

Your idea is still a good one though, because I could make it so that the jelly breaks into pieces instead.

Ciro Duran
Member #3,011
December 2002

This could be a funny screensaver, those ones you see for hours drooling :)

---
El Ciro

In the beginning, God said "light_source { <0, 0, 0> color White }" and light was created.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

If you shake it too hard it gets wild and is takes forever to render when it goes big.

Have you fixed that, if not, make sure the speeds don't go over the size of a "segment" (20).

I've been messing around with it a bit, converted to c++, and tried to change from arrays to linked lists but I failed, maybe next time.

gomez
Member #2,800
October 2002

Wow jelly rocks
Simple physics that looks really good, i've always wanted to do something like this.

BTW one idea to turn this into a game would be to make a tetris game where the falling blocks are made out of jelly. There already is a game with boucing rubber blocks which is very addictive (google for tryptych and bridge-builder).

it makes me hungry, too, mmmmmm <drools> jelly...

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I've still been trying to fix the jelly (in between revising for my exams):

I tried making it so that the jelly was made up of triangles and restricting points from moving into triangles that they should not be in. This however had bad side effects - Although it stopped the jelly from becoming inverted, the jelly did not maintain momentum and would stop in mid air. Actually I can't believe I didn't foresee this problem. I think I'll have to try something completely new.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with the physics and I just have to change the structure of the jelly or the way the jelly is moved by the mouse.

I'm also planning to make it 3D sometime. Maybe one of you guys could try because I'm a bit short on time for the next week. - it should be quite simple because vectors are very similar in 3D.

eg:

void unit_vector_3d(double x1,double y1,double z1,
                    double x2,double y2,double z2,
                    double *vx,double *vy,double *vz){
double i,j,k,mag;
i=x2-x1;
j=y2-y1;
k=z2-a1;
mag=sqrt((i*i)+(j*j)+(k*k));

if(mag>0.000001){
*vx=(i/mag);
*vy=(j/mag);
*vz=(k/mag);
} else *vx=0,*vy=0,*vz=0; 
}

There will be quite a lot to do in terms of setting up the jelly structure but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Anyway I'll be doing it myself in about a week.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

hmm it reminds me of the nvidia bubble demo... if you clicked it too rapidly as well the triangles went bezerk and it pretty much blew up and you never saw it again. I'm sure there as got to be some way to "tame" the polygons.. but good luck anyway on the exams and your program.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

What about just preventing any segments from passing through their neighbours, instead transferring any excess momentum to them? The momentum should propagate through the segments and eventually come out on the other end of the jelly, which is not obstructed in any way - right?

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

X-G, you're a genius!
That's exactly how it should work. I can visualize it.

1   2 

Go to: