Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » IdeaHack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
IdeaHack
Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I just realized I can't finish in the remaining time, so I wondered, would anyone else like to add a day, for cleaning up the readme and makefiles and polishing some stuff? Or is everyone happy that it is over
I think in case enough ppl want to add a day, it would be no problem to do so..

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

>sigh< i have nothing worthwile -- i just didnt have time -- i realized my one partner couldnt program for crap, and the other could only do graphics ! bah! i havent even had time to make sure my windows ver was portable to dos or linux yet :( oh well...i gues si upload partially completed games...

gnudutch
Member #951
February 2001

An extra day couldn't hurt... :)

CJ
Member #806
December 2000

I agree, I've been ill so one more day would be good, but the rules are the rules, right?

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I say that the competition gets renamed to the LazyHack competition, because we were all too lazy and spent our time (at least I spent mine) on crap like school, work, and homework . If only I got off my butt and did something worthwhile... :P

Out of curiosity, does anyone here have a project that they're proud of?

-Steve

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

im proud of what i have, but its not complete...its just a simple game engine....i think im gonna make it more advanced and pop out a good game (and make the graphics not cartoony)...but as of now, you dont do anything cept ruin around and shoot walls :) oh, and how the hell do we upload it?

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

Seems that a lot of the contestants(coders, whatever) were not able to create a game with gameplay in it and so the time will be extended by exactly one week ( so it'll end Friday 28 September 24:00 GMT ).

You all happy now ? ;)

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I am :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

If I had known it would be extended I would've worked on it in tha few hours I had last night that I was supposed to be sleeping during, but stayed online instead.

I say end it, and we say that everybody won :P.

I still will probably have trouble with free()ing things... I think I know what the problem is, but I haven't had the time to play with it. I hope I can get a good amount of stuff done this weekend, with all the homework that I have... all these competitions should be held over summer, not in the middle of the school year. Maybe if I were still in high school I'd have more time... I'm too old to be doing this :P.

-Steve

gnudutch
Member #951
February 2001

Ook you are a kind and gentle god. :)

I barely got my game engine running this morning. I was in the middle of slapping together some elements from the contest when I came over here to check the chatter.

Another week and I'll have a REAL entry for IdeaHack!!!

Anybody who turned in a finished game by the original deadline deserves bonus points and a hearty pat on the back. PAT

gnudutch
Member #951
February 2001

Ook, what is the submission method? Do you want us to email to you or post to a web/ftp?

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

Hehe, the people who know me dont say that i'm very kind ;).

But for the submission you can mail your games to ideahack@hot.ee .

(i wrote the mail addy as my ftp login name...)

[ September 22, 2001: Message edited by: Ook ]

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

How does the judging bit work? Did you already say?

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Unfortunately I don't have the enthusiasm of everyone else. My computer crashed and it took the first week of the competition to get the computer up and running. So it is with great pain that I have to withdrawal from the competition because there is no way for me to get the game done and I'm not going to request another extension on the competition deadline. But I have made up my own competition that I will be running soon and I'll have the guidelines up soon (which some are based or come directly from IdeaHack). Again I hate to drop out, but there is just no way for me to complete a game within a week. The two week deadline works, but because of my computer's power supply going out a few days after the start of the competition I have no chance so I drop out of the competition and will be hosting my own competition that will be sponsored by my video game company.

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

Well here is my competition info. It's posted here :D. Hope to see a lot of people joining up for it :D.

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

As we near the end of the IdeaHack competition, and the participants are adding the finishing touches and polishing off their games, it is time to start thinking about voting.
Firstly, every participant will give every game, except his own or his team's own, two scores out of ten. The first score represents how well the game meets the programmer's own requirement. The second represents how well the game meets the voter's requirement. So, for example,
- I give Ook a score out of ten for the spoof (my requirement), and
- I give Ook a score out of ten depending on how much more I hate Microsoft by the time I've played his game (his requirement).
Remember, when you rate the requirements, be open to interpretations other than your own! While we will not overrule any votes, I'm sure you don't want the entire Allegro community to know how anticompetitive you are
Secondly, every participant will vote for his favourite, second favourite and third favourite games, not including his own or his team's own. Each first-place vote a person receives will score six points, each second-place vote will score three points, and each third-place vote will score one point.
The upshot of the above is that team games will get fewer scores and fewer votes than the rest of the games. In order to make sure the scoring is fair,
- Requirement scores will be averaged, not summed, and
- Each game's overall score will be multiplied by the total number of participants and divided by the number of people who had a chance to vote for that game.
We've tried to arrange it so that people don't have much to do to vote. Therefore, please make the effort to vote for this competition.
Good luck to everyone for the last 29.5 hours!

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

quote:- Each game's overall score will be multiplied by the total number of participants and divided by the number of people who had a chance to vote for that game.
Doesn't that mean that the more people that work on a game, the larger the score will be? I shouldn't be complaining, my team has four people on it
[EDIT:
Okay... it seems that I didn't read your full post, Ben Nevermind what I said above... ]
[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: goodbytes ]

--
~Goodbytes

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Should I bother uploading my game menu (that's basically as far as I got, I haven't touched it since like.. the 20th)? I know there's no chance I have, this competition should've been over the summer.... as I've said many times already :P.

-Steve

Specter Phoenix
Member #1,425
July 2001

StevenVI you can always complete the game for the TOGPAC competition that I've started. The rules and details are in the Depot under the thread TOGPAC. The competition is a year long so that everyone can have time to create a game that they are happy with and that way it's like some of the smaller companies out there that make a game in a year or so (instead of big name companies like Squaresoft that take several years to make a game like Final Fantasy X). Plus it makes it to where you can work at your own pace and to where you can do research and development (R&D) during your project for TOGPAC . Here's the link for my thread for TOGPAC:
http://www.allegro.cc/ubb-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=000465

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: Destined Entertainment ]

gnudutch
Member #951
February 2001

I got my entry in just under the wire! WHEW!

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

So far i have 4 games on the site.
The games are temporarily available at
a temporary page, that until i have created a page for the games, that will be today( after I have slept some 8 hours )

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

I set up the Results page now too.
Now there are 6 games, hurry up with sending your games in.
I can tell you that the games already on the page are very good

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

I have uploaded the dos binaries for 4 games, elias's game dosen't work under dos, so i didnt upload that one, and X-Viilas gave me 'Can not set gfx mode'.
If anyoe wants to have their binaries of various platforms up there then mail them to me ideahack@hot.ee

Go to: