Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » IdeaHack

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
IdeaHack
Goodbytes
Member #448
June 2000

Quote:

I think that your browser did'nt reload the page.

Same thing happened to me... unless the website was just changed now. I hit [refresh] five times in a row and on the last one, the page layout totally changed and now I see frames, background images, all this wierd crap... must be a bug in IE6. If there was only some way I could tell it that when I hit refresh, I mean refresh...

But, anyway, I still don't see Trumgottist on the page.

--
~Goodbytes

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

woohoo! nice new web page! and I can see trumgo....whatever,.. hes on the apge

and know for my question... how come IM not up ont he page yet? well, me and my team?

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

Ermm... you will be there some time... but not now, I dont feel like hand editing the page. (!)
Anyway.. here are some new entrants:
Team PurplePoo
sic "For some reason, all characters must be deathly afraid of electrical
flying spoons, and they must appear (in text or picture) in the game at
least twice for no real reason" joey_wj@hotmail.com
plastichead "There game must have an intro, and it must have absolutly
nothing to do with the game itself" plasticheadz@hotmail.com
solvle1 "Poop must randomly fall from the sky" s0me1_82@hotmail.com

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

So, now the competition started! (actually 10 minutes ago)

Good luck to us all!

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

sicgamemaker: please come up with a requirement for the competition. There are some guidelines on the page, and you can see what requirements other people have come up with if you're stuck for ideas. When you've got a requirement, post it here so everyone can see it without having to wait for the page to be updated.

Thank you,

- entheh

[ September 15, 2001: Message edited by: bdavis ]

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

Toni Ylisirniö
Member #65
April 2000

Ah... Finally! I was already itching to get started on the project :D

[ September 15, 2001: Message edited by: X-Viila ]

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I'm starting a bit late... heh... first thing I've programmed since like May or something. I'll probably get addicted to this and neglect all my homework...

I forgot how to do timers, I'll have to look through my old source code :P

-Steve

Tõnis Märtmaa
Member #356
May 2000

Afer X-Viila threatened to file a complaint on #allegro I finally updated the page, and also, X-G and Trumgottist are in a team now.
Team 1337
Have nice coding

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

:P i did make a requirement, my i accidently wrote my name dowqn as sic instead of sicgamemaker...im the idiot with the electrical spoons idea :D

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Quote:

Your game must have some random elements in it which encourage people to play the game repeatedly.

Is it just me or is this more of an opinion? Random != replayable. To one person a game that randomly kills you at certain points is fun, but to other is just a waste of time. In a game being made in a week, is it really possible to have replayability like that? Does a random starfield count as adding to the replayability? It looks really good.... it's all my game is so far :P .. well, you also control one of twelve space ships that can't fire weapons (yet) while cruisin' through the stars ... but yeah, I'm blabbing now.

-Steve

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

PROGRESS CHECK!

-i can move a guy around a world, but nothing happenes yet.....i stress yet....

CJ
Member #806
December 2000

Gnudutch: Your idea is good, I want to add it.
BTW: Nicholle or Spoon:
can you describe yourself to add you in my game? You know, blond hair, thin, small, fat, etc...
Thanks.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Quote:

i can move a guy around a world, but nothing happenes yet.....i stress yet....

Was that your personal comment on your status or were you mocking the fact that I'm not gonna finish my game?

Will non-playable games be okay? If this were over summer...

-Steve

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

CJ: Are you making a fighting game? :D

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

its my way of saying "oh crap, im not very far along, but i dont want every one else to think im movin fast when im really not ::) "im runnin into MSVC 6.0 issues :( oh well, are non playable demos accepotable? :D

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Well ... my computer picked a absolutely WONDERFUL time to crash horribly .... and just arbitrarily fixed itself. Woot.
I think my entry is screwed.

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

That sucks! :D oh well, keep tryin, im not that far along either, thanks to Microsucks Winblows 2000x more then normal. ::) oh well, i guess its the best partially completed game

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

My game would be better if I had more time and hadn't been away from programming for so long.

For some reason my linked lists aren't working properly, so I used arrays and they're not working right either. I've forgotten everything I learned... grr.

I was talking to this guy in one of my classes today and he was talking about how most professional programmers stay away from pointers because they can "really **** things up". I thought that was funny, imagine how hard doing certain things would be without pointers... sad thing is I think that I missed something somewhere with the pointers and that's why my crap isn't working .. just blabbing before I start coding for today.

-Steve

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

AHHHH NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!! i just finished making the game engine, got things movin around, but i still need more time ::starts crying:: more... time....

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

When's this comp over anyway?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Zaphos
Member #1,468
August 2001

Umm ... friday?

To all: I'm dropping the compo due to lack of self motivation to actually code anything specific ... and my workload, which is large enough to make hrs_used_on_unschool = hrs_of_sleep_deprivation.

Ahh ... sleep deprivation. It's like drugs, except not at all.

Anyway, sorry 'bout that. I'm no longer certain what will happen to the 12 drugged squirrels (are they still a requirement, ook?) ... but ... Owell.

sicgamemaker
Member #1,365
June 2001

doenst matter, i used 12 drugged squirls in my game :) but sleep depravation? i sleep maybe 4 hours a night. i love college :0

Bruce Perry
Member #270
April 2000

Hmm, pointers can really **** things up, can they?

NODE ****handle_to_a_node_handle = NULL;

nuff said.

I think we should keep all the requirements in. People will have planned their games around the requirements, and it would be unfair to those people if they didn't get points for it at the end.

Sorry to hear you won't be participating Zaphos :( I hope you'll be able to take part in the next one though.

45 hours left! :o

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: bdavis ]

--
Bruce "entheh" Perry [ Web site | DUMB | Set Up Us The Bomb !!! | Balls ]
Programming should be fun. That's why I hate C and C++.
The brxybrytl has you.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I might as well say that I definately won't have anything worthwhile by Friday. I'll stay in and upload my half-started game (where I accidently screwed up the starfield in it) and see how I compare to everyone else. Maybe I should just ignore deleting nodes from linked lists for now, that way I'd at least be able to get a somewhat playable thing going. I doubt I'll have any time to program on it, though.

-Steve

Trumgottist
Member #95
April 2000

I'm very happy that I teamed up with X-G. Otherwise my limited time would not have allowed for anything decent.

I'm part of making a game without having to do any programming. It feels good. :D

--
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody - it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Play my game: Frasse and the Peas of Kejick

Go to: