Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Musical Hacking

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Musical Hacking
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I was looking around at videos for PI music, and this one showed up in the related field.

It's pretty neat looking, regardless of what's going on. At first glance from the thumbnail I thought it was a neural net trying to classify various quanta, but I don't believe that's the case.

Meanwhile, the video isn't really live, but a demonstration (I guess a physical example for how they came up with the concept).

video

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2011/03/born-to-be-viral-computer-fights-hacker-attack.html

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

I am going to be working on a striping game that uses this same concept.
its going to make me $10000000.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

... Did you link the right video? It's not about music. Either way, the program looks kind of fun:

glTail.rb said:

View real-time data and statistics from any logfile on any server with SSH, in an intuitive and entertaining way.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

... Did you link the right video?

Did you watch it with the audio on?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I must be missing something... What about the video description or the article you linked mentions musical hacking... and what does the term "musical hacking" even mean? (Algorithmically generated music, maybe?) The video is a visualization of network traffic. The music, I guess, was tacked on after the fact. Here is a picture of a tiny pig:

{"name":"609316","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/4576c2ebb83298b329621808aa3a7b0e.jpg","w":640,"h":516,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/5\/4576c2ebb83298b329621808aa3a7b0e"}609316

Go to: