Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » YALT

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
YALT
Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Yet Another Linux Thread

Last January-ish I switched to Kubuntu again and loved it. Switching to Linux is something I seem to do about once a year, then switch back :'(
I find I'm far more productive in Linux because it keeps my hands on the keyboard where they belong >:( I've also replaced my Microscotch ComfortCurve 2000, which I've been using for 10 years, with a Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate.

Today I am about to install a 512GB ADATA SSD in my laptop, and so I plan on dual booting and installing Linux once more. Hopefully using it as my primary OS for much longer.

I'm looking to try some KDE-based distros. The four I've narrowed it down to are Linux Mint, Manjaro, Mageia and Kubuntu. I'm leaning towards Mint, but am open to other suggestions, warnings, errors and notices.

I use my desktop primarily for web development, maybe a little Java dev again, and maybe even a little A5 dev if I can figure out the android port this time. I have an old Intel i5 laptop (Lenovo Thinkpad) with dual screens (17" 4:3 and 22" 16:10). Last time I did have some minor wireless driver issues, but hopefully those are gone or ... something.

Anyone have some recommendations or advice, articles to check out, or software to include? Anyone subscribe to some Linux or KDE related resources I should check out? I'll have to relearn a lot of stuff, but I don't think it will take long for me to be up and running.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I personally prefer Xubuntu. Is there a specific functionality of KDE you need?

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I did use Xubuntu first, and for the longest (about a year). I like KDE's widgets, and workspaces, and activities. Even with 2 monitors I still run a cube and swap between sides, but I also used activites to swap between jobs. I can set up a "College" activity so that all of my class related links and apps are open/available, or move to a Java dev activity, or move to a web dev activity, etc. It kinda blew my mind the last time I used it.

I'm not sure what has changed in XFCE over the last 2 years. It was nice, but I just felt like I was more productive in KDE.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Debian unstable FTW.
I like to live dangerously.
With lightdm and XFCE. I have a low end config .

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I cannot fathom how anybody manages to get unstable to actually do stuff. It seems every time I try to run unstable a package that I require is broken by other packages that I require. And I go ??? for a few minutes before rebooting and installing something else. Currently my main machine is running Debian stable. There is no Windows partition. I overwrote all drives with Debian.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Because you're a dick at linux does not mean everyone is, BamBam ;-p

Et pim !
;D
Punaise, je suis en forme ce soir, aller je vais me coucher ^^
8-)
Good Night mates :-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

For KDE I've run PC-BSD, Sabayon and Arch. I only use mate or cinnamon with Mint.

As for sabayon, I had good impression of it back then, but now I wonder if it is still good for a recommendation for you, so I look up their homepage again.

Its a binary distro of Gentoo, has its own package manager, I remember it as being a KDE distro but now it seems it offers the others as well. The latest DVD seems to be almost a year old but as a rolling release that just means there will be a crap-tonne of updates to install.

[EDIT] Yeah, debian and centos seem to be perpetually broken. And those are two of the big distros? wtf?

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

m c said:

[EDIT] Yeah, debian and centos seem to be perpetually broken. And those are two of the big distros? wtf?

I completely disagree with debian being broken.

I even run sid, and have for 8 years or more. Occasionally I'll see broken packages when trying to do a dist-upgrade, but it isn't that often, and usually fixes itself after a while. Of course, it's their in-dev branch, so you have to expect some breakages. You want stable, and supported for a long time, you go the latest stable, not sid.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I've install Mint first, so far so good. Even my condenser mic works, and my webcam, both of which had issues with Ubuntu 12.04.

One issue so far is that I have had to reinsert my HDMI cable 3 times, twice for strange reasons. When I opened global keyboard shortcuts my monitor went dark. Then again when I opened Cheese. :-/

I've been watching a couple Sabayon reviews on YouTube. Gentoo, with portage, was my first great experience on Linux. I remember having just tried Redhat and going bananas living in dependency hell, then finding Gentoo and being able to just 'emerge <package>' and poof! Everything is there. I learned a lot back then.

Arch looks good, but I must say there is an air of elitism on their site. But hey, maybe that's a good thing, and I'll add it to the list of distros to check out.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

I've used Mint for quite a long time as my KDE distro, but recently I switched back to Kubuntu. Mint KDE always felt like a second class citizen, as many of the modifications that that distro makes are Cinnammon specific and just don't fit in well with the rest of KDE. One plus for both, however, is the pretty good Muon package manager, which as far as I know is Kubuntu/Mint only. The only other KDE distro I tried was Debian Unstable, and I just found it a lot more unpolished than Kubuntu.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

SiegeLord said:

The only other KDE distro I tried was Debian Unstable, and I just found it a lot more unpolished than Kubuntu.

I don't know if you can call it a "kde distro". Debian has kde packages, but they really don't have the manpower to actually polish it the way other distros do.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

In my experience, Arch falls into the category of requiring hard work to keep it going. They aren't afraid to just break the system. They typically will issue notices, "BTW, don't upgrade X until you've done Y and Z or your system won't boot". Avoid just blindly updating packages in Arch or you will have issues. I ran Arch for probably 3 months before this bit me and I just said fuck it. Instead of fighting to repair Arch I installed Debian. Not only do they choose "their way" and by default force it on you, including breaking your current system, but they have much less support and package much less so you have to trust "AUR" (basically a community repository) for lots of software. Or build from source. It's not a bad distro, but I wouldn't rank it at the top. If you want simple then Debian. If you want simple, but bleeding edge then Fedora. If you want hard, but prematurely-optimized, graceful, and fucking cool, but routinely delayed then Gentoo. I've never used Mint. If it's Debian-based and respects your freedom then it's probably acceptable.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

bamccaig said:

I ran Arch for probably 3 months before this bit me...

Out of curiosity, what package bit you, when? I've been running Arch for the better part of a year, and pacman has always warned of package changes (vim to vim-minimal, et cetera).

Arch has been gaining a lot of good traction lately. Kernel devs have switched to it, and Linux Voice deemed it the best distro in 2014. Most importantly of all, I use and endorse Arch... For a KDE fan, however, while both Arch and Debian are great, I would not recommend either of them. You're better off with Mint or PC-BSD.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Derezo said:

Even my condenser mic works,

???

{"name":"headset_mic_connectivity1.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/2\/02578fb68ecabb732c7cd9d81b1239cf.jpg","w":343,"h":318,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/2\/02578fb68ecabb732c7cd9d81b1239cf"}headset_mic_connectivity1.jpg

;)

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

I have switched to Arch myself a few months ago, and I like it being hands on, it reminds me of Gentoo but better polished and with better documentation. I am not sure I agree w.r.t official packages, the last security vulnerabilities they were ahead of the pack with the fixes (for instance, with GHOST they patched glibc a few days before it went public). I do agree with the packaging regarding AUR, but as they are user packages it is kind of expected, and YMMV.

EDIT: Also, like Gentoo, I understand that Arch is more geared for power users - for regular users I would recommend another distro, e.g. Mint or just plain Ubuntu/KUbuntu.

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Could you describe power users? Because I already use Linux, and think it (in general and even with a GUI) is designed toward power users.

What's more power, and what advantage does it give you? I found it quite annoying when I had LXDE to have to set up a config file for every single dialog box feature I wanted to configure, as well as fooling with XRANDR to get the resolution set properly. When I moved to XFCE, everything calmed down and was less frustrating.

-----sig:

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Out of curiosity, what package bit you, when? I've been running Arch for the better part of a year, and pacman has always warned of package changes (vim to vim-minimal, et cetera).

I can't remember. It was probably 2 or 4 years ago... I'd have to search the boards to see when I was talking about it... I have no doubt that the breakage was my fault, but it just seems annoying to me as a user that I have to do exceptional work to make things work. I think even things that I didn't initially set up so I had to figure out how. All to keep my system updated. For the most part I just want vulnerabilities fixed. Rarely do I expect a software update to add features that I'll use (that usually comes with distro upgrades, which usually means reinstalling, though certainly power users can make it work by upgrading the system in place).

Arch has been gaining a lot of good traction lately. Kernel devs have switched to it, and Linux Voice deemed it the best distro in 2014. Most importantly of all, I use and endorse Arch...

I'm not sure that means much. For a kernel hacker to use it doesn't mean much for the average user. That is somebody that already probably has put together a system from scratch. They might not mind having to maintain the system at that level because it's the level that they work at. As for the "deeming best", the article seems completely biased by the authors. They seem to leave out Gentoo entirely, and don't really give Fedora or Debian the attention they deserve... I mean, in my experience, Gentoo's documentation is unrivaled, and obviously Gentoo has the potential to outrun pretty much every major distro. Debian looks to match AUR for packages, and they are official and stable, not community contributions with little or no oversight!

Arch is a fine system. I recommend trying it at least once. I just don't think it's the ideal distribution for most people. Right now I'm running Debian predominantly for semi-Steam support. I hate Ubuntu so Debian is pretty much the next closest thing to what Valve is targetting. I wouldn't mind trying Gentoo again, as that is just a joy to run and their documentation is unrivaled and really puts you in complete control, and I wouldn't mind someday returning to the ease and bleed of Fedora as well (that might even motivate me to upgrade the Fedora allegro5 package someday... :-[).

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Could you describe power users? Because I already use Linux, and think it (in general and even with a GUI) is designed toward power users.

Let me rephrase and say that Gentoo/Arch are not for the average linux user as you are more expected to go and tweak things yourself compared to other distros, at least if I have to compare it to Ubuntu or Mint.

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

A power user in Windows is like a normal GNU/Linux user. :P A GNU/Linux power user compiles everything from source, configures every service and application manually by tweaking configuration files or writing them from scratch, etc. You can make a system work exactly your way if you put the time into it. That is the Gentoo way. And to a lesser extent IMO, Arch's too I guess. Of course, Gentoo does make it possible to more or less get it running without a lot of extra work, but the system is designed to let you customize things to the extent that you want.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

CK: My condenser mic is USB. The problem last time was that the frequency was being set incorrectly to 8Khz or something instead of 44Khz, so everything was all chopped up and garbled. I was able to correct the problem, and it wasn't super easy, but it came back when I updated and I got frustrated with it.

bamccaig said:

A power user in Windows is like a normal GNU/Linux user. :P

That's pretty much my thoughts as well. I do consider myself a "power user", and the reason I prefer Linux is because I like to customize my OS, but I really don't want to compile anything unless it is necessary. If I have no intention of modifying or writing any code, I don't feel I should need to compile it. My system is not like the non-standard VIA C3 I spent the time to optimize Gentoo for.

I installed Kubuntu along side Mint last night, and everything went fine. After some pondering and searching I think Mint is the better choice. There was a thread I came across where the attitude was almost unanimously pro-Mint against Kubuntu for KDE with the reason being that they get the updates second. They were saying there is often a 2-4 week gap between Kubuntu updates and Mint updates, which also means there is time to fix any serious issues. One of the reasons I did stop using Kubuntu was because updates broke parts of my install twice in a row, so maybe that gap is a good thing.

I'm going to make a point to check out PC-BSD as well though. Mageia failed to load the live DVD. Not sure why -- I just said "NOPE!" and moved on to the next.

I've got about 4 hours tonight to play around with this stuff some more. So far I really link my Mint install though.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Derezo said:

but I really don't want to compile anything unless it is necessary.

Yeah, absolutely. I respect bam's opinion, but I don't agree with it. If I have to recompile code to change something, that means the code sucks and should have had a config file. It also means I have to learn literally dozens if not hundreds of APIs and codebases to be expert enough to know what to fix if it's anything but a one-liner. Fixing something without understanding the rest means I'm introducing bugs, not fixing them.

I went through the hassle in highschool of getting Gentoo and compiling. And after custom compiling everything for my specific CPU over a day or two. I had... an OS essentially identical that wasn't magically faster like I hoped. I had the mistaken impression that all Linux was that difficult and I didn't come back to it for years with Linux Mint, and then Xubuntu.

I want the power to configure things as I want. (Which is why I love Linux for dev work.) But I want to be encapsulated from having to understand what's going on under-the-hood. My job is getting things done, not learning APIs.

Quote:

After some pondering and searching I think Mint is the better choice.

Careful. I've had lots of dependency issues with Mint as they move forward. Things just stop working. My laptop had to be converted to Ubuntu from Mint because they completely stopped supporting the version that was only a couple years old (or less!). I couldn't get the packages I needed, and slowly the problem creeped up until it became a useless install.

-----sig:

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Derezo said:

Last January-ish I switched to Kubuntu again and loved it. Switching to Linux is something I seem to do about once a year, then switch back

You so much remind me myself young :P

Go to: