Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » what makes me angry today

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
what makes me angry today
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Okay, this anger starts back on Saturday morning. It was 75F (~24C), driving my car home when BOOM the sky starts dropping golf ball sized hail all over the place. Pulled over underneath a bridge ... guy in front of me lost his wiper blades. When it's all over, the road is covered with ice balls. Went from a summer looking day to winter in five minutes. >:(

So it continues to warm up, and it all melts away. I ride my motorcycle and all is good.

Then Sunday it downpours for 10 hours and floods my basement. >:(

And now it's 30F (~-1C) and it's SNOWING. It's a freaking snow storm in the middle of April. >:(

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

Here at the south of the globe is the same, violent temperature changes, flash floods like never seen before, this year's summer broke records for highest temperatures, >:(

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

It's been nice here, but cool today and hail pellets yesterday. The weather shaman is prophesying snow tomorrow, but says all will return to bliss on Thursday.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Sounds like you moved to Edmonton. Welcome brother!

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

We've had snow in April. I remember a storm later but can't find a link. The saying here is "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute.". And Mark Twain said "Everybody talks about the weather but no one does anything about it.".

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

It's so cold here that for a moment, while I was outside taking a time lapse video of the lunar eclipse, I considered going back inside to get a jacket.

:o:o

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Crap, I totally forgot about the eclipse. I was going to try and take a photo too. Crud.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

pkrcel
Member #14,001
February 2012

It's been SO cold in here this winter that.....sigh....we had almost no snow and my skiing season is just about finished :'(

....and lawn-mowing and allergy (the PERFECT combo) are the hot topic. >:(

It is unlikely that Google shares your distaste for capitalism. - Derezo
If one had the eternity of time, one would do things later. - Johan Halmén

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I was going to try and take a photo too. Crud.

Not to be snooty, but unless you have a nice lens and a camera with a full manual mode, you probably wouldn't have gotten anything very good.

Here's the video I made:

video

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Psh, you don't need a good camera. Here's what I made of the moon eclipse from 2007 (the one today wasn't really visible at my location):

{"name":"608497","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/8\/88be2502b4a8018abc23a8fade7f53d9.gif","w":396,"h":306,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/8\/88be2502b4a8018abc23a8fade7f53d9"}608497

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

StevenVI said:

Not to be snooty, but unless you have a nice lens and a camera with a full manual mode, you probably wouldn't have gotten anything very good.

It's not some snooty camera. just a Nikon D5200. I imagine I have the wrong lenses to make a really decent shot, but I do have decent control over the shutter and aperture.

I didn't expect to get a stellar (swidt?) shot. But something passable anyhow.

--

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

SiegeLord said:

Psh, you don't need a good camera. Here's what I made of the moon eclipse from 2007 (the one today wasn't really visible at my location)

Really cool man... I have never seen an eclipse like that. Do you have the same video with better resolution? I see that's a .gif.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Do you have the same video with better resolution? I see that's a .gif.

At this point you do need a better camera :P.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

It's not some snooty camera. just a Nikon D5200.

Oh, that's plenty fine. I was figuring you were intending to use a cell phone or something. :P

My video was taken with a Nikon D5100 and a 300 mm lens. I started changing the exposure one the moon was nearly eclipsed, which is why it looks funny in that regard.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I wake up, and there's snow. Didn't notice any hail, but otherwise, I can mirror what Matthew said, just at a time shift.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

You should move to Israel, our weather is very predictable :)
Also there's 0% chance of snow[1] and there are maybe 2 days a year with hail.

References

1. except for a few specific cities which get enough snow to actually pile up once every couple of years
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

StevenVI said:

Oh, that's plenty fine. I was figuring you were intending to use a cell phone or something. :P

ahaha. yeah, I imagine you'd get next to nothing from a cellphone.

Quote:

My video was taken with a Nikon D5100 and a 300 mm lens. I started changing the exposure one the moon was nearly eclipsed, which is why it looks funny in that regard.

I'm a total photography noob, so I imagine I'd have gotten maybe one or two usable shots. nothing close to a video :D

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Went from a summer looking day to winter in five minutes. >:(

So it continues to warm up, and it all melts away. I ride my motorcycle and all is good.

And now it's 30F (~-1C) and it's SNOWING. It's a freaking snow storm in the middle of April. >:(

Snow in April is normal up here. :-/ But it's still annoying. It keeps teasing me. We have had some nice, bright, relatively warm Sunny days (i.e., 5 C). It's awesome to be able to throw on a hoody and be comfortable again. On Sunday I drove out of town to where my bike is stored, reviewed its condition, planned Spring maintenance, fired it up, and did a brief test of my helmet mounted GoPro.

(This is why I need video editing software... The really stupid cuts at the back of the bike are me cutting my license plate out...)

video

I may need to experiment some with finding the ideal angle once I actually get out on the road, but it seems to work just fine. I need to get an external mic to tuck into my helmet because the built-in one is far too weak.

I knew the weather wouldn't hold so I wasn't about to take it with me. Our roads are also full of potholes and sand right now so I wasn't even willing to ride it. :-/ The corner right next to my apartment looks like a dirt road (and it's at the bottom of a hill, to make it even more fun). It'll probably be mid or late May before I can take my bike out safely. They'll need to clean the streets and patch the worst of the holes.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

I feel your pain, as I was once the victim of an improperly installed water pump. Was the important stuff elevated? You might be surprised at how durable paper can be. In my case, drying completely drenched documents in the sun and pressing them afterwards saved a lot of time that would have otherwise been spent replacing them.

bamccaig said:

... helmet mounted GoPro.

It probably doesn't take a psychic to guess the online video that immediately comes to mind every time I hear this term.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

AFAIK that charge is trumped up. It's legal to film public employees afaik. Scare tactic. Trying to dissuade people from doing things that maybe should be done more often by the looks of it.

--

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

It probably doesn't take a psychic to guess

This is the clip I guessed.

http://youtu.be/x76VEPXYaI0

embedding didn't work :-/

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

AFAIK that charge is trumped up. It's legal to film public employees afaik. Scare tactic. Trying to dissuade people from doing things that maybe should be done more often by the looks of it.

Depends on jurisdiction. Police will absolutely try to intimidate you away from recording them, but in jurisdictions where it is actually legal they wouldn't take it so far (i.e., arresting and charging the guy) because the consequences could be quite severe.

That said, several US states and probably a few other countries (hopefully no Canadian provinces, but I won't put it past them) did in fact pass laws to make filming police in public illegal (I think even criminal). Of course, there's no good reason for those laws, and they are completely unjust, which just further proves why people need to do it anyway. Obviously the police are corrupt as fuck.

I don't know where they get 16 years from, but even a fine would be unreasonable. Filming in public is harmless, and so is filming e.g., your own traffic stop. The police are just afraid of being held accountable for their actions, which should scare the fuck out of you.

embedding didn't work :-/

youtu.be links aren't supported. s/youtu\.be\/(.*)/youtube.com\/watch?v=\1/

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Gideon Weems
Member #3,925
October 2003

bamccaig said:

All the more reason why more people need to do it!

Amen. For what it's worth, the man in the video ended up coming out on top in the courts. I imagine he was compensated well beyond the price of the original speeding ticket, as well.

This is the clip I guessed.

:o

1   2 

Go to: